PDA

View Full Version : Cliff's velocity is back

hawkjt
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
to 94-95 according to the radar today which is a big relief. I know he struggled today but as Hawk said Cliff is a guy who needs to have his velocity and then he will be more confident and start hitting his spots.

I was concerned that it was gone for good as he had not hit even 90 lately.

It is such a fine line between overworking your relievers and not getting them sufficient work. I know DJ was alluding to that today when he was a little critical of Ozzies philosophy of going very deep with the starters every game all season.

I cannot argue with anything Oz does with the pitching. He is fortunate to have a workhorse rotation that does not seem brittle in the least.

But I do sympathize with these relievers that get in about once every 6-7 days and then are not as sharp as they want to be. Good problem I guess.

TaylorStSox
04-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I noticed that too. That's the first time he's hit 95 since about August of last year. That's definitely encouraging.

Hitmen77
04-23-2006, 06:33 PM
When we have a little bit of a cushion late in games, I'm all for getting the rest of the pen some workout. We need Cliff, Cotts, Logan, and Thornton out there getting work, finding their stuff and/or staying sharp.

The starting 5, McCarthy, and Jenks can't do it all over the next 6 months.

Chips
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I think this thread title should be in teal or pink.

ilsox7
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I think this thread title should be in teal or pink.

Why? His fastball, from a velocity standpoint, was where it was last year. How is that sarcasm or a pipe dream?

Dan Mega
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Velocity problem is hopefully solved. Once he gets his confidence back, he hits his spots and becomes dominant.

The Dude
04-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Why? His fastball, from a velocity standpoint, was where it was last year. How is that sarcasm or a pipe dream?

Because Chips hates Cliff's guts!:cool: He likes to play a game called "How deep will the hitter take Cliff today?"

Chips
04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Because Chips hates Cliff's guts!:cool: He likes to play a game called "How deep will the hitter take Cliff today?"

That is my game, and so far it's been pretty deep.