PDA

View Full Version : This rotation is scary good

SectionBNole
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
You're basically garunteed 6 good innings from any of the starters you send out there this year. Its a great feeling to have the best rotation in baseball!

Bring on the M's!

gobears1987
04-23-2006, 04:40 PM
On a side note, Indian's pitchers have only gone 6+ in 6 of their 18 starts.

PAPChiSox729
04-23-2006, 04:48 PM

I have thought that the Indians' rotation is being a little overrated. Jason Johnson has been incredible for them so far, considering Sabathia is out. Cliff Lee has pitched well. But outside of them, I don't see much else. They are not even in our league when it comes to the starters.

Erik The Red
04-23-2006, 04:48 PM
On a side note, Indian's pitchers have only gone 6+ in 6 of their 18 starts. At least they still have that stellar bullpen, though...

Oh, wait....

gobears1987
04-23-2006, 04:50 PM
mlb.com had an interesting article saying that the Bullpen isn't the problem. Their starting pitching is the problem and is straining the pen. I don't think their pen is that great, but I agree that the starting pitching isn't doing their pen any favors.

TDog
04-23-2006, 05:14 PM
mlb.com had an interesting article saying that the Bullpen isn't the problem. Their starting pitching is the problem and is straining the pen. I don't think their pen is that great, but I agree that the starting pitching isn't doing their pen any favors.

That is the fact about bullpens that most people don't talk about. The best bullpens are the ones that don't get a lot of use, just as in soccer (and probably hockey) the goaltenders who record shutouts often have fewer saves than the ones who are scored upon. If a bullpen pitcher only has to throw three innings in a week, he has a better chance of being good than if he has to pitch three innings in a game.

Baseball is a team sport. When it works for the Sox, it's a beautiful thing.

chisoxfanatic
04-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I have thought that the Indians' rotation is being a little overrated. Jason Johnson has been incredible for them so far, considering Sabathia is out. Cliff Lee has pitched well. But outside of them, I don't see much else. They are not even in our league when it comes to the starters.

They DID lose a quality arm in Millwood during the offseason.

ChiSoxIn06
04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
and Elarton wasn't a bad 5th starter either...and they let him go too.

Beer Can Chicken
04-23-2006, 05:42 PM
You're basically garunteed 6 good innings from any of the starters you send out there this year. Its a great feeling to have the best rotation in baseball!

Bring on the M's!

the line-up ain't too shabby either!! mercy.

slobes
04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Not to mention we've got a guy in the bullpen (BMac) whom I feel could step in and do just fine if, dare I say it, one of our starters were to get hurt.
Mercy, this rotation is good. It's great to be a Sox fan right now.

sullythered
04-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Can we please lift the "fingernails on a blackboard" thing. I mean the guy actually refers to HIMSELF by the nickname in question.

lostletters
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah I am a bit curious about the McCarthy nickname as well.

Frater Perdurabo
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
That is the fact about bullpens that most people don't talk about. The best bullpens are the ones that don't get a lot of use, just as in soccer (and probably hockey) the goaltenders who record shutouts often have fewer saves than the ones who are scored upon. If a bullpen pitcher only has to throw three innings in a week, he has a better chance of being good than if he has to pitch three innings in a game.

Baseball is a team sport. When it works for the Sox, it's a beautiful thing.

ding ding ding ding ding!

It's not the number of appearances that kills bullpen pitchers, but the number of batters they face. A bullpen guy often is very effective if used three times a week to get one or two batters out. (McCarthy, obviously, is the exception, as he is good enough to be a starter.) Look how effective Politte and Cotts were last year, coming in to get one or two outs and then giving way to the next guy. A manager can use his middle relivers and set-up guys that way if he only needs the pen to pitch 2.1 innings per game on average. This is not a problem when Sox starters average 6.2 innings per start! The starters failure to do so in the first week (not Buehrle's fault with the rain delay on Opening Night) put stress on the pen and contributed to the four losses. Since then, it's been clear sailing!

You're right, T-Dog, a great rotation makes then pen better!

:supernana:

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
They DID lose a quality arm in Millwood during the offseason. I never really understood why they got rid of Millwood, he was one of the pitchers in the A.L. Central who I did not like the Sox facing.

DSpivack
04-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I never really understood why they got rid of Millwood, he was one of the pitchers in the A.L. Central who I did not like the Sox facing.

Well, he did lead the AL in ERA last year, so I don't think any team liked facing him.

PAPChiSox729
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I never really understood why they got rid of Millwood, he was one of the pitchers in the A.L. Central who I did not like the Sox facing.

They really didn't get rid of him. He was a FA, so he just followed the money to Texas.

flo-B-flo
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Getting JaVa (sorry) was a nice touch. And so was signing The Count and JoGa (again). Baseball wise this group is lethal. Health, as previously mentioned, is the biggest concern. Well Freddie G kinda worries me.

ws05champs
04-23-2006, 10:55 PM

When do we stop worrying about Cleveland and start worrying about Detroit?

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 11:04 PM
When do we stop worrying about Cleveland and start worrying about Detroit?

When Detroit beats us in a game.

jehosaphat
04-23-2006, 11:10 PM
The rotation is scary good. Perhaps the difference between good and scary good is the Sox defense. In the postseason last year, I enjoyed Pinella's commentary, primarly because he was so unpolished but also because he knew what he was talking about and his perspectives were fresh. He pointed out that the Sox field a better than average defender at each position. The same is true this year. The defense makes the starting pitching that much tougher. Pitching + Defense = Winning Baseball

BeviBall!
04-23-2006, 11:14 PM
When Detroit beats us in a game.

That's as real as real gets, ladies and gentlemen.

richb2
04-23-2006, 11:37 PM
great post