View Full Version : JB to the Mariners?

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2002, 01:01 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/55806_mari25.shtml

kermittheefrog
01-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/55806_mari25.shtml

Well I thought they'd so something smar twith their open spot in the rotation like give it to Ryan Anderson but signing JB is not a way I'd approach tweaking a 116 win team.

Randar68
01-25-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Well I thought they'd so something smar twith their open spot in the rotation like give it to Ryan Anderson but signing JB is not a way I'd approach tweaking a 116 win team.

He had more severe surgery than Jon Rauch at about the same time. Do you think he's ready? I don't.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

He had more severe surgery than Jon Rauch at about the same time. Do you think he's ready? I don't.

Is JB a quality alternative though?

duke of dorwood
01-25-2002, 11:40 PM
He hasn't been the same since the surgery. Seattle is feeling the heat from the A's and Rangers. This may be all they can afford to do.

Daver
01-25-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He hasn't been the same since the surgery. Seattle is feeling the heat from the A's and Rangers. This may be all they can afford to do.

From sportsline.com

The Mariners are in deep talks with the agent for free-agent starter James Baldwin. "We are further along with Seattle than with anybody else," agent Rex Garey told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Baldwin's former Chicago teammate, Mike Cameron, is lobbying for Baldwin to fill the void in Seattle's rotation left by Aaron Sele. Manager Lou Piniella is encouraging CEO Howard Baldwin in increase the payroll enough to make room for Baldwin. Under their current target, the M's have only about $3 million to offer, about half of what Baldwin made last season.

Daver
01-25-2002, 11:57 PM
This move would make me guess that a deal is imminent.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0125/1317787.html

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 12:45 AM
If Royce Clayton is one of those guys who puts up good numbers but doesn't do anything, James Baldwin is the anti-Royce - he puts up mediocre numbers, but still leaves the impression that he's a good pitcher.

I honestly don't know what to make of JB. After 6 major-league seasons, I don't know whether he's a good pitcher or not.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
If Royce Clayton is one of those guys who puts up good numbers but doesn't do anything, James Baldwin is the anti-Royce - he puts up mediocre numbers, but still leaves the impression that he's a good pitcher.LMAO!!! Good one, Czal! :)

Daver
01-26-2002, 12:55 AM
If Royce Clayton is one of those guys who puts up good numbers but doesn't do anything, James Baldwin is the anti-Royce - he puts up mediocre numbers, but still leaves the impression that he's a good pitcher.

I honestly don't know what to make of JB. After 6 major-league seasons, I don't know whether he's a good pitcher or not.

You're not alone czal,no one else in MLB knows either.

SOXSINCE'70
01-27-2002, 05:21 PM
It's pretty much a done deal,barring a last minute setback.

What happens when JB hangs a curve to The Big Hurt?

:putitontheboard

WinningUgly!
01-27-2002, 10:43 PM

JB is (at best) a middle of the rotation guy. For the right price he'd be a nice fit in a lot of rotations, but not for what he's probably asking for. I would assume he wants quite a bit more than the 6 million he made last season :?:

duke of dorwood
01-28-2002, 10:49 AM
It may happen any time now. Mariners unloaded David Bell, opening a bit of salary room.

"The Mariners' next move is expected to be signing right-handed pitcher James Baldwin. The free agent is scheduled to visit Seattle early next week for a physical and if all goes well, he will become one of Piniella's five starters.

"Unless somebody blows away what the Mariners have to offer, (a deal) is close," Baldwin's agent Rex Garey told reporters Thursday. "Seattle is a place where JB would be pretty comfortable."

The Mariners are looking for a veteran pitcher to replace Aaron Sele, a 15-game winner last season who became a free agent and signed with the division-rival Anaheim Angels.

Baldwin went 7-5 with a 4.61 earned-run average for the White Sox last season before being traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he was 3-6, 4.20. His best season was 2000, when he started 7-0 en route to a 14-7 record and helped the White Sox win the AL Central championship.

The Mariners are close to their $87 million budget and might have to go a little over the limit to sign Baldwin, who made nearly $6 million last season."

NUCatsFan
01-28-2002, 01:19 PM
1 yr deal, with a second option year (doesn't say who owns the option), pending a physical. Looks to be a #4 or 5 in their rotation.

ESPN.com (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0128/1319010.html)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Is anyone else struck by the irony that the 116-win Mariners could use James Baldwin, but not our Sox?

85 years and waiting... 86... 87... 88... 89... 90...

Iwritecode
01-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Is anyone else struck by the irony that the 116-win Mariners could use James Baldwin, but not our Sox?

Although I still like JB the M's have a bit more of a pitcher's park and statisically, JB is better in a dome. The M's fans aren't exactly jumping for joy over this move either.

RichH55
01-29-2002, 12:53 AM

To JB or not to JB is not the championship question......

doublem23
01-29-2002, 01:02 AM

Stop it! You're making me depressed....

hold2dibber
01-29-2002, 01:40 PM

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Just because the Mariners wanted him doesn't necessarily mean that the Sox should have gone after him. I like JB and thought he was a good guy to have around, at least in 2000 and (half of) 2001. But I seriously question his health and arm strength -- the guy never strikes anybody out, and I seriously doubt he'll be able to get away with it much longer; he just doesn't have very good stuff. I do think the Sox need another veteran starter, but I wouldn't have gone after JB when the Sox have so many young starters (e.g. Glover, Biddle, Parque, Wright, Rauch) already vying for the no. 4 and 5 slots in the rotation.