PDA

View Full Version : Gload Forgotten, But Gets It

Unregistered
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
"It's a tough thing backing up two of the hottest hitters in the world," Gload said. "I just shag flies [in batting practice], work my way over to first base and stay out of everyone's way.

"But would you rather be a small part of a good team or a big part of a team going nowhere?"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060422soxbits,1,4723499.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Good to see that attitude from Gload. He knows he's in a tough position right now, but refuses to bitch and moan about it. He'll get his AB's and hopefully come through big when they need him.

Ron Karkovice
04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
I'll admit that even I forgot about Gload during this winning streak. Hopefully the Sox keep crushing teams so Gload can get at bats late in the game to give thome or konerko a rest.

Gavin
04-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Insert obligatory "Wish You Were Here" reference.

But really, Gload likes to whine a lot. I can think of a lot worse career paths besides backup MLB player.

michned
04-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Once the Sox go to 12 pitchers, will not Gload be the odd man out again? You would have to think there is no way they would get rid of Ozuna because of his speed and offense, and Cintron has been too valuable a backup.

Banix12
04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Once the Sox go to 12 pitchers, will not Gload be the odd man out again? You would have to think there is no way they would get rid of Ozuna because of his speed and offense, and Cintron has been too valuable a backup.

I don't really see the sox going to 12 pitchers anytime soon since they barely use some of the bullpen guys as it is but if they were to do so then Gload would probably be the odd man out.

slobes
04-23-2006, 05:47 PM
It's really unfortunate he doesn't get to play at all, he's a great guy. With Konerko and Thome, I hate to say it, but we really have no use for him. He's pretty much a 3rd string 1st baseman.
Ah but ya never know, he may be able to come up with a big pinch hit every once in a while, kinda like Timo the past few years.

Bobbo35
04-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I feel bad for Gload, but that is the way it is when you have two stars in front of you. He needs to understand his role and be ready when the time comes. Not a bad gig though.

vafan
04-23-2006, 08:51 PM
It's too bad Gload doesn't have the glove to play the field. If given the ABs, he'd be a much better hitter than Mackowiak as a platoon for Anderson. The one year he got more than 200 ABs, he led the team in batting, and that's when we still had Ordonez, Lee, and Frank.

DickAllen72
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
But really, Gload likes to whine a lot.

Not true. Gload is known as a great clubhouse guy and a real professional, a hard worker.

There was only the one incident last year when he expressed frustration about losing his spot due to injury. That one comment was blown way out of proprtion by some.

Gload is a good guy.

sbinsc
04-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey, he made is only at bat count last night (finally). Nice 3 bagger Ross.:bandance:

hawkjt
04-26-2006, 10:32 AM
About 4 inches from having one hit, one run and one rbi in a whole 5 abs.

Nice job Ross, the cubs would kill for him right now.
Showed some decent speed legging out a stand-up triple.
Keep it going, sox.

maurice
04-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Riding the pine for the defending MLB champs >>> starting every day for the Charlotte Knights.

soxfan13
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
About 4 inches from having one hit, one run and one rbi in a whole 5 abs.

Nice job Ross, the cubs would kill for him right now.
Showed some decent speed legging out a stand-up triple.
Keep it going, sox.

Was actually surprised how fast he got around on that triple.

soxfan1983
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
when derek lee got hurt during the WBC, someone on the radio (cant remember who) suggested that the cubs try to look for a decent 1b and that gload might be the one. with lee being out for this considerable amount of time... kenny should consider looking to steal away some great pitching prospects from the cubs for gload.... maybe we can get another garland or possibly a willis from them. with paulie and jimmy being signed for 5+ years each... no need to have gload really. just a thought?

KyWhiSoxFan
04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
If Gload is expendable at first, what the Sox need is another qualified reserve outfielder. Having Ozuna in left is just asking for trouble. And it's already found him the few times he has been there. Mackowiack is the only reserve as I view it, and that's not enough.

Tekijawa
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I wish I got a couple hundred Thousand dollars a year to travel and watch baseball for free from the best seats in the house, then hang out with the team after the game... But Alas, here I am stuck in a Cubicle 5 days a week for a good base and nice commission... I basically do the same thing he does, I try and stay out of the way and let the big dogs do their thing, if nothing burns down on the rare occasion I'm in charge they keep me around for awhile longer...