PDA

View Full Version : Question about a sportsfest with Sox players attending

WCCMIKE
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I was curious to know if anyone has ever gone to one of these sports conventions.I'm asking cause is this like other autograph signings where it cost a ton to get something signed or is it free autographs .:?:Go here if you wanna see what i'm talking about www.collect.com/shows/article/asp?id=148505 (http://www.collect.com/shows/article/asp?id=148505)

Guess the links not working but its Sportsfest 2006 in Chicago

BainesHOF
04-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Autographs will top out at like $99 for a player like Thome or Konerko.

salty99
04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
The prices are now online for those who are interested. Thome, Konerko and Buehrle are all $99 EACH!

BeefyD
04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow... those prices are brutal... Maybe, and I mean, MAYBE, Konerko would be worth it. Only because after last year, I just don't see him doing a free signing anywhere. However, maybe BainesHOF has kept track, but people like Jenks, Buehrle, Crede and Cotts have already done FREE signings elsewhere. Yes, you had to buy merchandise for Buehrle and Crede, but you actually bought something, not just an autograph.

Point is, spend the time, not the money, and you can probably get this whole team signing for free by the end of the season.

salty99
04-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I got lots of free ones from Konerko and Thome adn Buehrle at Spring Training :cool:

gr8mexico
04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow... those prices are brutal... Maybe, and I mean, MAYBE, Konerko would be worth it. Only because after last year, I just don't see him doing a free signing anywhere. However, maybe BainesHOF has kept track, but people like Jenks, Buehrle, Crede and Cotts have already done FREE signings elsewhere. Yes, you had to buy merchandise for Buehrle and Crede, but you actually bought something, not just an autograph.

Point is, spend the time, not the money, and you can probably get this whole team signing for free by the end of the season. b Yeah your right I got all those players already for free. I started a WS ball and I already got 14 players on it. ALL FREE

BainesHOF
04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
There's no doubt that's a lot of money an autograph. The thing is, that's about right for the market. People will have Konerko and Konerko sign photos at $99 apiece, then sell them for around $200. That's why the prices are so high.

salty99
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
so are you going Baines? i think they should have a discount if you want all of them.

BainesHOF
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I need a Luzinski bat, a Wood SI, a Garcia ball and an Iguchi bat signed, but I'm in a bind as I'll likely be out of town for work.

Word to the wise: I don't see how you can get all the players within a two-hour span. The lines will likely be too long. Not that most people will pony up the dough for everyone anyway, but I think you're going to have to pick and choose who you want to get if you want to get a lot of players. I'd say trying to get half might be realistic, but any more than that and you might be pushing it.

tags22
04-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I have been to many of these shows in the past. You will be able to get as many players as you would like just as long you have ordered tickets prior to the show. This is the best advice I can give to anyone interested. They will be selling tickets early for every player and you call the number given and they will take your order and credit card info and then you pickup your tickets at the show. They will also mail you a reciept for your records. When you call ahead and reserve tickets you will get very low numbers for the players (they will usually call 25 people up at a time) and once you get through the baracades for one player they will let you go from line to line to get the players you need. Also these autographs are done very professionally (since you are paying good $ for them) and come out very nice and in most cases you are able to get pictures with each player and yourself with no real hassles.

BainesHOF
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
That's not exactly true. As anyone who got Crede last fall in Rosemont knows, the signatures were extremely rushed. And sometimes pictures are not allowed.

Since 5 p.m. is probably the earliest the players will be there, it's going to be a madhouse and I believe some of the autographs are going to be rush jobs. Paying for an autograph no longer guarantees you're going to get a good one these days.

tags22
04-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I got Crede last fall and he took his time with my autographs and I got pictures with him and it was a great expierience. I was also # 25 in line so I believe that the lower # you have the more time is taken with your item/pictures. I guess it is just from my expieriences. I have had bad expieriences with these shows also (Bo Jackson and Troy Aikman were total jerks) but in both situations I had a really late # (in the 200's) and they were rushing cause they were trying to get out of there thats why I think it is important to buy your tickets beforehand.

BeefyD
04-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I also have gotten many autographs at these shows, but I usually don't pay for local athletics if I don't have to. The best experience I've ever had was Wilt Chamberlain. He was very cool, chatty, and posed for 3 pictures (to make sure they one was guaranteed good). In only a couple of moments, he reminded me why he was one of the greatest (well, that and 20,000+):D: .

All depends on the players, but I still think the prices for most of the current Sox are too high. And I'm well aware of the market for autographs. Been getting them for years (including buying some). However, I don't see anyone actually selling a Konerko signed photo for $200. If so, please let me know whose buying them. I have some land in florida....

ewokpelts
04-27-2006, 06:07 PM
most sox players have autographed cards out now...and some of them can be had real cheap
Gene