PDA

View Full Version : damn this team is good

richb2
04-23-2006, 12:07 AM
This team plays with a swagger-if the pitching does not kill the other team, then it will be the defense ,and if not that the offense will or the moves made by the manager. This team is llike watching a football team , you can actually see the other team just cracking under the pressure of the white sox. It has to be scary for the other teams , they know if they allows 4 or more runs they are practically doomed almost and how are they going to get those runs, they have to wonder and ponder. This team is playing with so much confidence after being battle tested last year-it is a joy to watch. I know it is early but this team has the chance to be really special if it stays healthy.

thomas35forever
04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Agreed. Those early season worries are nothing but ancient history now.

kkappelk
04-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I was actually watching tonights game with a friend who doesn't follow baseball very closely. He immediately pointed out that the Sox have a clear swagger to them...a swagger that has not been seen around this town since Jordan's Bulls or the 85 Bears. They know they can beat anyone, anytime...and they're only going to get better as the season progresses.

This is going to be a fun year!

beckett21
04-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Agreed. Those early season worries are nothing but ancient history now.

Not everyone here had early season worries. :cool:

HomeFish
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
they know if they allows 4 or more runs they are practically doomed

You mean like Toronto last Friday?

The White Sox have the best record in baseball and are on a winning streak, sure. But they are not the gods on Earth that you describe in your post there. Moreover, most of our hitters are currently putting up ridiculous averages and HR rates. Those will soon fall to levels closer to what humans are capable of over a 162-game season in modern times. i.e., there will come a time this season when our hitters are no longer all at .350 and on pace for the single-season HR record.

Of course, you could make the counter-argument that some of our pitchers (Garcia and Garland, most notably) as well as Uribe, Podsednik, and perhaps Anderson are currently doing worse than they likely will all season and will soon begin to improve.

Certainly, enjoy the clinic the Sox are putting on right now. I'll be there tomorrow looking to do just that. But don't make ridiculous statements like that.

beckett21
04-23-2006, 12:25 AM

The White Sox have the best record in baseball and are on a winning streak, sure. But they are not the gods on Earth that you describe in your post there. Moreover, most of our hitters are currently putting up ridiculous averages and HR rates. Those will soon fall to levels closer to what humans are capable of over a 162-game season in modern times. i.e., there will come a time this season when our hitters are no longer all at .350 and on pace for the single-season HR record.

Of course, you could make the counter-argument that some of our pitchers (Garcia and Garland, most notably) as well as Uribe, Podsednik, and perhaps Anderson are currently doing worse than they likely will all season and will soon begin to improve.

Certainly, enjoy the clinic the Sox are putting on right now. I'll be there tomorrow looking to do just that. But don't make ridiculous statements like that.

Have you ever had fun one day in your life? Once? Ever? :?:

Loosen up and enjoy the ride already.

South Side
04-23-2006, 12:28 AM

GO AWAY.

fquaye149
04-23-2006, 12:32 AM

Jesus H Christ. Lighten up. If someone said "Teams facing Roy Halladay know if they give up four runs they are practically doomed" or "Teams facing Johan Santana know..." you wouldn't have a damned thing to say. Well we have 4 ace quality pitchers so YES IF A TEAM GIVES UP FOUR RUNS AGAINST US THEY ARE PRACTICALLY DOOMED. You gave one counter-example in a game that got away from us. I could probably dredge up a game where even ace pitchers like Clemens, Halladay, and Santana gave up a lot of runs. Even the best teams ever lose around 50 games. This team is not the best team ever, but if you think they're not among the best, if not the best, team in baseball, you're crazy.

AND YES, even you caught yourself and forced yourself to admit that Garcia, Garland, Vazquez, Cotts, Uribe, Podsednik and Anderson are almost certain to improve their numbers even while the likes of Dye and Crede's could potentially flag. The scary thing about this team is that they're likely to GET BETTER and you're too pigheaded to admit that. Have fun being miserable in what LOOKS TO BE (n.b. that everyone here admits that nothing's certain) the best team in Chicago in a long time.

HomeFish
04-23-2006, 12:35 AM
AND YES, even you caught yourself and forced yourself to admit that Garcia, Garland, Vazquez, Cotts, Uribe, Podsednik and Anderson are almost certain to improve their numbers even while the likes of Dye and Crede's could potentially flag.

Well, it should be noted that last year I kept predicting that the pitching would decline and the hitting would get better. That never happened. So we'll see.

If Thome, Dye, and Iguchi want to have massive career years where they hit over .320 and outslug everyone, they are more than welcome to do so.

shbart
04-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Don't worry Richb, I agree with your "ridiculous statement". I found myself saying the same thing....damn this team is good. It is an incredibly nice feeling knowing that we are one of the best teams. Sure it's early and the team will have slumps, but I sense the same thing you do. I got the same feeling last year in the post season and it's back :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
04-23-2006, 12:45 AM
The thing that is most notable about this team compared to previous season's teams, they attack. I remember times when a team would make a mistake, yet we would find a way to screw it up. This season teams are making errors, we are scoring those errors. Pitchers are wheel housing pitches, those balls are landing 400 ft away not landing 200 ft away in the outfielders glove with Hawk hurtfully announcing, "he just missed that one!" Also when was the last time did we just manhandle Minnesota? Sure we have swept them in the past, and we might lose tommorow but personally this has been the most impressive series against the Twins in a while.

whitesoxfan
04-23-2006, 12:50 AM

haha, only you homefish...only you.

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes,they are good.But it is very early.True Sox fans try not to
get too high when they win because they realise there will be rough
spots along the way (see August and September,2005).
If they continue to play like this for a while,that 2 1 /2 game lead
will grow and the Sox will get some much needed insurance for that
losing streak.:cool:

fquaye149
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, it should be noted that last year I kept predicting that the pitching would decline and the hitting would get better. That never happened. So we'll see.

If Thome, Dye, and Iguchi want to have massive career years where they hit over .320 and outslug everyone, they are more than welcome to do so.

Are you kidding me? you honestly feel like .320 would be a massive career year for Thome? For Dye, perhaps, although calling a .320 year massive, especially for a .270 hitter (though realistically he's probably closer to a .280 hitter), feels quite excessive. And even you can't possibly be ridiculous enough to think a guy who hit well over .300 for his last two years in Japan would be having a massive career year by hitting .320 in one of only two years spent in the majors.

This is one of your most ridiculous posts yet, and that's saying something.

cbotnyse
04-23-2006, 12:58 AM
I love it when teams intentionally walk Thome to get to a guy like Paulie, then after he gets on base they have to face a certain WS MVP......

and we cant emphisize how good Crede has been at thrid base......

Plus we have at least 3 starters that would be #1s on other teams......

Im enjoying the ride..............

richb2
04-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I realize this line up will not have everyone hitting 350 and hitting 45 homers, i am not a fool. I just believe that the thome moves was a stroke of genius that will leave the other teams swearingto themselves all year long. I think the three headed moster of thome, konerko and dye will allow a.j and crede to have big years because the opposing pitcher will be worn down and our second basemen might have a great year at the plate getting great pitches to hit. I will notbe surpised if this is not the second or third best offensive team at the end of the season. i feel that when that is combined with pitching power and defense and our manager who I will know longer second guess lol- this team will have a monster year if it stays healthy. I might be biased but i see a team that loves wearing the heavy weight belt and has no desire to give it up this year. I am aware this team will have min-slumps but I do not see many of them them because of the over powering pitching, defense and offense. This team has the chance at the end of the year to have the best home recorsd road record, best pitching , best fielding and one of the top scoring line ups-that bolds well.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2006, 01:15 AM

Certainly, enjoy the clinic the Sox are putting on right now. I'll be there tomorrow looking to do just that. But don't make ridiculous statements like that.:rolling:

Maybe I'm warped, but I've started to enjoy the regular Homefish contributions.

Jeez, Homefish. You've become a parody of yourself.

SectionBNole
04-23-2006, 01:17 AM
I am so pumped about this team. Seem to be firing on all cylinders now.

skobabe8
04-23-2006, 01:20 AM
:rolling:

I was going to post the EXACT SAME THOUGHT. Word for word.

oeo
04-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Have you ever had fun one day in your life? Once? Ever? :?:

Loosen up and enjoy the ride already.

I think the whole thing with HomeFish is he feels he has to say this crap so he doesn't jinx the team. When in all reality he should sit back, relax, and take in a good season for what it is, not what he thinks it's not. Take a chill pill HomeFish, it's alright be optimistic once in awhile.

Bobbo35
04-23-2006, 01:31 AM

You are the only one making rediculous statements. Man, you are a tough customer. Are you sure your a Sox fan? It sounds like you are just waiting for them to fall so you can say to everyone, "told you so."

oeo
04-23-2006, 01:35 AM
You are the only one making rediculous statements. Man, you are a tough customer. Are you sure your a Sox fan? It sounds like you are just waiting for them to fall so you can say to everyone, "told you so."
He's always been like this, and I always thought he was a Twins fan because everything the Twins did was "right", and everything the Sox did was "wrong". He seemed to have changed after coming back from his ban, but since the season started he's reverted back to old form.

IronFisk
04-23-2006, 01:39 AM
This team plays with a swagger-if the pitching does not kill the other team, then it will be the defense ,and if not that the offense will or the moves made by the manager. This team is llike watching a football team , you can actually see the other team just cracking under the pressure of the white sox. It has to be scary for the other teams , they know if they allows 4 or more runs they are practically doomed almost and how are they going to get those runs, they have to wonder and ponder. This team is playing with so much confidence after being battle tested last year-it is a joy to watch. I know it is early but this team has the chance to be really special if it stays healthy.
Ah hell ya - cancel the postseason! Seriously, they really could be something special. Mod edit. **** happens (look at DLee - HAHAHAHA), but even if a piece or two goes down, there are SO many that can help override it. Last year, I thought the Sox were the "perfect storm" of a team, and this year, they are even better. Let's enjoy it folks! :D:

Mod. edit: I really hate to do this to a longtime user, but you should know about the language filter by now. Use it. See you in a week.

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Anyway lol, we are looking very solid and our hitting has really come around from this time last year. In my mind we are right on track if not one step ahead of where we were at this time last year. Can't wait to watch the next 145 games!

itsnotrequired
04-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Homefish truly is a King among Men.

:rolleyes:

1-4 to 12-5. Eat it, AL Central.

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Are you kidding me? you honestly feel like .320 would be a massive career year for Thome? For Dye, perhaps, although calling a .320 year massive, especially for a .270 hitter (though realistically he's probably closer to a .280 hitter), feels quite excessive. And even you can't possibly be ridiculous enough to think a guy who hit well over .300 for his last two years in Japan would be having a massive career year by hitting .320 in one of only two years spent in the majors.

This is one of your most ridiculous posts yet, and that's saying something.

The funny thing is, Derek Lee never hit above .282 until last year, and I assume according to HomeFish's logic, that was probably just him improving. Dye, who has hit .294, .297 and .321 in a seasons past is performing way above his abilities by hitting .340 so far this season, even though he is probably in a better lineup than he has ever been before. His average will almost definately drop at least some, but he is definately capable of hitting .300+

Grzegorz
04-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Yes,they are good.But it is very early.True Sox fans try not to
get too high when they win because they realise there will be rough
spots along the way (see August and September,2005).
If they continue to play like this for a while,that 2 1 /2 game lead
will grow and the Sox will get some much needed insurance for that
losing streak.:cool:

Thank you, enjoying the ride and being cautiously optimistic are not mutually exclusive feelings.

Steelrod
04-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Only 5 plus months left in the regular season.
Best advice I can give is, don't get too high on the highs, or too low on the lows.

FarWestChicago
04-23-2006, 07:59 AM

Jeez, Homefish. You've become a parody of yourself.HomeFish cracks me up, too. He tries so hard to be a darker Cloud than Lip. But, the pressure of taking on the Master forces him to become the parody you mention. HomeFish isn't even as good as CubKilla on the Depress-O-Meter. He's too funny. :redneck

soxinem1
04-23-2006, 08:16 AM
While they have played well, the competition has not been all that sterling yet. Once we make a trip through the coasts, then we can get little more fired up. But we should be very happy about what has transpired so far.

And yes, while they appear to have some swagger-type attitude, I'm not totally sold on this bullpen yet. Ozzie's been spotting these guys so far, and other than Jenks, none of them has been involved in a lot of pressure situations yet. Two of last year's horses, Politte and Cotts, have been getting nailed a bit and are throwing too many over the plate.

But anyone who is being a total blowhard and not enjoying this start, geez, what do you want? Don't be unrealistic like Santo and think you should be 162-0, pitch a perfect game every day and have a team slugging percentage of 1.500!

Baseball is a team game. Sure, Thome, AJ, Dye, and Paulie will not be hitting .340+ all year, but others are heating up too. Pods was hitting .087 a week ago and he's starting to come alive. Iguchi has been my suprise, as it looks like now he knows the pitchers he's more comfortable. And defensively he's going up the middle far better than last year. Crede looks to be finally developing some consistency. This may turn out to be the most balanced line up in the history of the team.

I believe in cautious optimism as much as anyone, but with the balance this team has, they have shown the adaptability so far to adjust with what is working for them during any particular game. If they have needed to pitch tight and manufacture a run, they've done it. If it's going to be a hitfest, then they've been slugging.

And were getting respect. During the ESPN games, as the shift eventually gets to the White Sox during another teams game. Everyone seems to want a ride on the Sox bandwagon.

I am enjoying this, and everyone here should as well.

TornLabrum
04-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Jesus H Christ. Lighten up. If someone said "Teams facing Roy Halladay know if they give up four runs they are practically doomed" or "Teams facing Johan Santana know..." you wouldn't have a damned thing to say. Well we have 4 ace quality pitchers so YES IF A TEAM GIVES UP FOUR RUNS AGAINST US THEY ARE PRACTICALLY DOOMED. You gave one counter-example in a game that got away from us. I could probably dredge up a game where even ace pitchers like Clemens, Halladay, and Santana gave up a lot of runs. Even the best teams ever lose around 50 games. This team is not the best team ever, but if you think they're not among the best, if not the best, team in baseball, you're crazy.

AND YES, even you caught yourself and forced yourself to admit that Garcia, Garland, Vazquez, Cotts, Uribe, Podsednik and Anderson are almost certain to improve their numbers even while the likes of Dye and Crede's could potentially flag. The scary thing about this team is that they're likely to GET BETTER and you're too pigheaded to admit that. Have fun being miserable in what LOOKS TO BE (n.b. that everyone here admits that nothing's certain) the best team in Chicago in a long time.

One definition of insanity is continuing to try to convince Homefish that the end of the world isn't coming (if not already here).

TornLabrum
04-23-2006, 09:04 AM

Yup...I think that's why he's being allowed to stay here. I've always loved a good parody, and I think the other mods here do, too.

rwcescato
04-23-2006, 10:19 AM

Just 2 weeks ago atfer 5 games people were ready to panic. I will tell you this much this team is really a team. Jim Thome fits right in with the clubhouse and everybody feeds off each other. After last nights game my brother called me up and said it starting to scare him. He is like is this team ever going to lose again. It is a joy to watch a team be dominating. And I would love to have a run like the Bulls did. Why can't our team win a few Central division championships like the Twins and Indians did. Be in the playoffs every year and have a chance at WS Champs.
GO SOX!!!!
Rich

MrRoboto83
04-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Just 2 weeks ago atfer 5 games people were ready to panic. I will tell you this much this team is really a team. Jim Thome fits right in with the clubhouse and everybody feeds off each other. After last nights game my brother called me up and said it starting to scare him. He is like is this team ever going to lose again. It is a joy to watch a team be dominating. And I would love to have a run like the Bulls did. Why can't our team win a few Central division championships like the Twins and Indians did. Be in the playoffs every year and have a chance at WS Champs.
GO SOX!!!!
Rich

Amen

Clarkdog
04-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I would agree with the comments about this team having a swagger right now. As a fan, I'm carrying around that swagger - the losses haven't bothered me as much as in the past and the win have been enjoyable to watch simply because the Sox are putting on a clinic in winning baseball for the rest of the league. Big time offense, great pitching, and stellar defense.

They are arguably the best team in baseball right now. And the difference between this year and last is that it is easy to envision this type of success being sustained throughout the season. I think last year, we all knew the team was good, but to win the number of 1-run games they did was unimaginable at the time. This was the White Sox that alwys seem to drop those type of games in some heart-breaking fashion. And that August/Sepetember swoon ccombined with Cleveland's hot play seemed to put further validity in Vickery's Law.

This year, the feeling is so much different. This franchise is a winner now, and has a winner's attitude - and it shows on the field. Barring some kind of injury setback (knock on wood), this team could win 105 games. And Vickery's Law could be a thing of the past.

MarySwiss
04-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Back in March, I made a friendly bet with a guy in the NCAA pool I was in. I have the Sox to win the World Series, and he's got everybody else. For some reason, lately I've been feeling bad about taking advantage of him like that! :cool:

In other words, the Sox aren't the only ones with the swagger; their fans have it, too. Every day, I cannot wait for the game to start, I'm sorry when it's over, and I don't know what to do with myself on offdays. I also get fidgety when there's a commercial on during the game, and IT HAD BETTER NOT EVER RAIN AGAIN ON A DAY WHEN THE SOX ARE PLAYING.

Would you call this "being Soxsessed?" :D:

fquaye149
04-23-2006, 11:40 AM
One definition of insanity is continuing to try to convince Homefish that the end of the world isn't coming (if not already here).

Yup. I realized halfway through my post that I was just putting more limbs in the tarbaby in an effort to get unstuck...

sigh...

cbotnyse
04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
In other words, the Sox aren't the only ones with the swagger; their fans have it, too. Every day, I cannot wait for the game to start, I'm sorry when it's over, and I don't know what to do with myself on offdays. I also get fidgety when there's a commercial on during the game, and IT HAD BETTER NOT EVER RAIN AGAIN ON A DAY WHEN THE SOX ARE PLAYING.

Would you call this "being Soxsessed?" :D:

I'm with ya....Last Thursday I didnt know what to do with myself either!

Vince
04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I watched last night's game on mlb.tv, and they used the Minnesota feed. The thing that struck me was how they talk about the White Sox now. It seemed every other sentence, they referred to them not as the White Sox but as the World Champs or Champs.

So far in 2006 the Sox are the barometer that other teams are measuring themselves against. The Sox play well and know they play well -- that's the swagger.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
yeah they're pretty good. :smile:

hawkjt
04-23-2006, 12:13 PM
It is really too early in a six month season to think like this but I am anyway;

The Bulls won their first title and everyone wondered how good they really were- then the following season they were just dominate the whole season and it erased all doubt.

Just keep it going sox. It is so much fun right now.

TomBradley72
04-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Incredibly solid baseball team....and "good guys" up and down the roster with zero exceptions. Who would guess we could get off to this kind of start even with Pods, Uribe, and Anderson struggling (1/3rd of the starting line up)?

I can't believe it's only April 23rd...it feels like mid summer from a baseball perspective.

ws05champs
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
There was a point last year when I really felt the Sox were going all the way. There is no doubt that this year's team is even better. Not only is the pitching, fielding and team work at least as good as last year, they are crushing the ball. And some players have yet to come up to speed! Barring injury or an act of God, the regular season is just going to be a way of passing time until the World Series.

Palehose13
04-23-2006, 04:38 PM

Have you made a chart for your predictions this year? :redneck

vafan
04-23-2006, 09:06 PM
We've just swept 6 games in which our opponents managed a total of 7 runs. Granted, it was weak hitting KC and Minnesota, but that's still pretty damn impressive. After getting 1 run in 3 games off us, KC went home and beat Cleveland 2 out of 3, pounding them for 11 runs one game.

Last year built our team confidence to the point where we consistently played just a little bit better than our opponents. This year we are stretching out those close games into dominating performances.

Before the season, I predicted we would pass 100 wins for the first time in franchise history. Now I think we have a chance to post the kind of year that Seattle (2001, 116-46) and the Yankees (1998, 113-48) had. With our 5 dominant starters, we are going to have a lot of 8-2 and 9-1 stretches, and probably nothing worse than the 5-5 we started the season with.

There has never been a better time to be a Chicago White Sox fan. For those of us who have toiled as Sox fans for all our adult lives, it is pretty sweet. I'm certainly going to enjoy it.