PDA

View Full Version : Entrences to the mound...

mike squires
04-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Remember back in the 70's and early 80's when some teams would bring in the pitcher on a golf cart of goofy car? How come they stopped doing this?

TornLabrum
04-22-2006, 10:28 PM
It sped the game up too much.

QCIASOXFAN
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Gas is to expensive

chisoxfan64
04-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Construction on the Ryan.

Scottiehaswheels
04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
In all seriousness on just a guess I would say its to allow the pitchers to stretch a bit before getting on the mound... bet they had quite a few injuries to pitchers coming in from the dugout trying to make a play and their legs weren't stretched out

skobabe8
04-23-2006, 12:38 AM
In all seriousness on just a guess I would say its to allow the pitchers to stretch a bit before getting on the mound... bet they had quite a few injuries to pitchers coming in from the dugout trying to make a play and their legs weren't stretched out

Plus it made them look pretty lazy. :cool:

LuvSox
04-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Plus it made them look pretty lazy. :cool:

And dorky.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Remember back in the 70's and early 80's when some teams would bring in the pitcher on a golf cart of goofy car? How come they stopped doing this?

I donno, but the Brewers still have that old cart, with the old M from the 70s on top of the hat. I love that thing.

CallMeNuts
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
IIRC:
First there were the golf carts.
But a few years later, many teams signed sponsorship deals with car companies.
Most relievers didn't want to ride in the car. They'd rather just jog in.

buehrle4cy05
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
The Indians haven't done it since Jake Taylor stole theirs to follow his ex back in 1989.:cool:

StockdaleForVeep
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
The absence of teal in this thread is maddening

cleanwsox
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
The absence of teal in this thread is maddening

Where is the teal needed?

:wink:

Palehose13
04-23-2006, 09:41 PM
IIRC:
First there were the golf carts.
But a few years later, many teams signed sponsorship deals with car companies.
Most relievers didn't want to ride in the car. They'd rather just jog in.

You're nuts! :D:

MrRoboto83
04-23-2006, 09:55 PM

That is a long jog for a guy like Jenks, perhaps this is why is velocity is down!!!??

TheDarkGundam
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
"An now Ozzie is making a call to the pen...he wants the Big Guy! Baaaaad Bobby Jenks! Here comes the Chevy Pride Crew with the Special Edition Bobby Jenks Chevy Tahoe (*out comes pinstriped Chevy Tahoe with number 45 painted on the sides and roof*). Out comes Jenks, being carried by the Chevy Pride Crew...they're carrying him to the mound...OH NO! (*crowd gasps*) they've dropped him! He'll never make it! Wait...he's getting up! (*crowd cheers*) Alright Bobby, strike this guy out!"

That's why you don't drive the pitchers out in cars. It would take like, 20 minutes to go through all of that.
I would love that Bobby Jenks Chevy Tahoe though...

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I think having a pitcher walking out of the pen with some music playing is one of the most bad ass things in the game. It seems like it would also help pump up the home pitcher. Having a guy walk out while the entire crowd is going crazy for him, with some music getting him pumped up. Also it gives the opposing pitchers time to soak up all the "na na na na hey hey hey goodbye"s and get intimidated.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
"An now Ozzie is making a call to the pen...he wants the Big Guy! Baaaaad Bobby Jenks! Here comes the Chevy Pride Crew with the Special Edition Bobby Jenks Chevy Tahoe (*out comes pinstriped Chevy Tahoe with number 45 painted on the sides and roof*). Out comes Jenks, being carried by the Chevy Pride Crew...they're carrying him to the mound...OH NO! (*crowd gasps*) they've dropped him! He'll never make it! Wait...he's getting up! (*crowd cheers*) Alright Bobby, strike this guy out!"

That's why you don't drive the pitchers out in cars. It would take like, 20 minutes to go through all of that.

Not to hijack the thread, but why do they have ushers standing along the track when they bring that truck out? Are they that afraid a fan will run onto the field and steal the truck?

chisoxfan64
04-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but why do they have ushers standing along the track when they bring that truck out? Are they that afraid a fan will run onto the field and steal the truck?

It is the Cell you know. Sox fans will steal anyhting that isn`t nailed down.:rolleyes:

MrRoboto83
04-24-2006, 04:42 PM

For the love of God no more Chevy Pride Crew.

BNLSox
04-26-2006, 02:07 AM
The Indians haven't done it since Jake Taylor stole theirs to follow his ex back in 1989.:cool:

This didn't get enough props... HILLARIOUS!!! I was going to write a major league reference about Wild Thing but you stole my thunder man.

NardiWasHere
04-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Post of the decade.