PDA

View Full Version : TSN's Thoughts on Crede

Chisox_cali
01-25-2002, 03:35 AM
Not looking to good right now

I've heard many different takes on the White Sox's third base situation. First, Jose Valentin was expected to start. Then, Jeff Liefer was supposed to have dibs because the Sox needed his lefty power bat. Recently, TSN's Scot Gregor reported the Sox are trying to deal Royce Clayton so Valentin can return to short. No matter the tale, it's become obvious that Crede has leapfrogged Liefer because of his superior defense. If the team trades Clayton, there's a good chance Crede will be playing third for the Sox on April 1. So how good is he? Based on 2001, Crede looks like a .270 hitter who would slug 20 homers in 550 at-bats. I used to think he'd be a lot better, but Crede is 24 and his game has been stuck in neutral lately. The potential is there, but right now he looks like a young Mike Lowell.

KempersRS
01-25-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Not looking to good right now

I've heard many different takes on the White Sox's third base situation. First, Jose Valentin was expected to start. Then, Jeff Liefer was supposed to have dibs because the Sox needed his lefty power bat. Recently, TSN's Scot Gregor reported the Sox are trying to deal Royce Clayton so Valentin can return to short. No matter the tale, it's become obvious that Crede has leapfrogged Liefer because of his superior defense. If the team trades Clayton, there's a good chance Crede will be playing third for the Sox on April 1. So how good is he? Based on 2001, Crede looks like a .270 hitter who would slug 20 homers in 550 at-bats. I used to think he'd be a lot better, but Crede is 24 and his game has been stuck in neutral lately. The potential is there, but right now he looks like a young Mike Lowell.

This is very true, though. Crede was being talked about like he was going to an All-Star third baseman for years to come, but he just a wall in AAA. Maybe he worked hard in the offseason, and will be a whole new player in the bigs. Hey, it could happen...just probably won't since this is the White Sox we are talking about.

RedPinStripes
01-25-2002, 07:17 AM
Last year in spring training Manuel told Crede to go to AAA and shorten his swing. Since then he looks very timid at the plate. I understand it is better to have a short swing in MLB, but this guy was a 2 time minor league MVP. I hope he gets over it because he looked like a deer in headlights last year at the plate.

There is no one in the organization that can beat his defense at third though. I really don't want to see manos making errors at 3rd. It's his worst position that I have seen.

hold2dibber
01-25-2002, 02:09 PM
If Crede hits .270 with 20 HRs and plays good defense at third, I would be absolutely thrilled (assuming a reasonable OBP as well) -- but based on what I saw last year, I'm not sure he'd even do that.

mrwag
01-25-2002, 05:39 PM
I think the guy needs a chance. He's had his time in the minors. We don't have any better options at this point. Lets see if he can step up. Let's face it, how many times have we seen MVP caliber minor-leaguers come up and stink the place up? How many rookie of the year winners went on to have stellar careers? Sometimes the best long term players are those who developed their talent after playing a few years in the bigs. I say he starts at 3rd on opening day. Did anyone think Mags would be an All-Star when he first came up? Take a look at Konerko too.

Jerry_Manuel
01-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Recently, TSN's Scot Gregor reported the Sox are trying to deal Royce Clayton

Earth to Scott, the Sox have been trying to trade him since they traded for him. Geez, where the hell has he been?

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If Crede hits .270 with 20 HRs and plays good defense at third, I would be absolutely thrilled (assuming a reasonable OBP as well) -- but based on what I saw last year, I'm not sure he'd even do that.

A platoon of sorts with Liefer would be nice as well...Liefer has shown he can hit major league pitching even if he can't field it that great....and no mas Royce means you know what you have with Liefer/Crede and some more Graffiano thrown in just for good measure

czalgosz
01-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Earth to Scott, the Sox have been trying to trade him since they traded for him. Geez, where the hell has he been?

I've heard that before, but only on this board. Just curious, where did you hear that, Jerry?

Chisox_cali
01-25-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I've heard that before, but only on this board. Just curious, where did you hear that, Jerry?

I've read before in the LA Times that the Dodgers were interested dont know if they still are, they wanted gascan as well maybe a package deal?

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

It was in all the Chicago papers, Czal.
George mentioned it also in the Balanced and Just win thread.

He said:

Royce Clayton's hitting feats are the very definition of "garbage time". The further out of the race the Sox got, the higher his average got. That spurt in late-August coincided exactly with KW admitting in the press he had acquired Clayton strictly to trade him again, and had in fact been trying to move him since the previous December. The Lesser Choice was batting .230 at the time.

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong, and I know that more than one person on this board has said that, but I looked through some of the Trib. archives from that time period and couldn't find that. I just feel like I fell asleep or something, because I can't find it anywhere.

SOXSINCE'70
01-27-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Last year in spring training Manuel told Crede to go to AAA and shorten his swing. Since then he looks very timid at the plate. I understand it is better to have a short swing in MLB, but this guy was a 2 time minor league MVP. I hope he gets over it because he looked like a deer in headlights last year at the plate.

There is no one in the organization that can beat his defense at third though. I really don't want to see manos making errors at 3rd. It's his worst position that I have seen.

The Sox have got to play Crede soon (as in NOW!!) to find out if the so called "potential" really is there.Sox fans have spent the last 3 to 4 years hearing Joe Crede this,Joe Crede that.PLAY HIM ALREADY!! Let's see if he can handle the pressure.I would accept .270 and 20 HR's.That's not so bad.I just pray to God he's not Kevin Orie or Gary Scott (AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!I'll never mention those sCrUBbie names again!!) :crede :gulp: :gulp:

RedPinStripes
01-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

The Sox have got to play Crede soon (as in NOW!!) to find out if the so called "potential" really is there.Sox fans have spent the last 3 to 4 years hearing Joe Crede this,Joe Crede that.PLAY HIM ALREADY!! Let's see if he can handle the pressure.I would accept .270 and 20 HR's.That's not so bad.I just pray to God he's not Kevin Orie or Gary Scott (AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!I'll never mention those sCrUBbie names again!!) :crede :gulp: :gulp:

Agreed 100%

SOXSINCE'70
01-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Agreed 100%

See you Saturday!! :gulp: :gulp: