PDA

View Full Version : Bonds hits first home run of season

1951Campbell
04-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Our long national nightmare is over:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2418394

Fuller_Schettman
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
I remember when that happened. Then everyone thought "now that he has that first one out of the way, it will just be a matter of weeks before he passes the Babe"

But no one was happier than I when it turned out to be the last HR of Bonds' career.

Whodathunkit?

ewokpelts
04-23-2006, 12:22 AM
whopp de frickity doo

oeo
04-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Anyone can hit the ball out of Coors Field.

beckett21
04-23-2006, 12:31 AM
I really wish Bonds would just go away. He can take ESPN with him if he wants. Just leave us alone.

VenturaFan23
04-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Well there goes the first half hour of Sportscenter tomorrow morning. I DO NOT want him passing Ruth!

itsnotrequired
04-23-2006, 03:08 AM
I was at the game tonight and got a "breaking news" alert on my phone about the home run. Stop the presses!

:rolleyes:

SOXintheBURGH
04-23-2006, 03:49 AM
I was at the game tonight and got a "breaking news" alert on my phone about the home run. Stop the presses!

:rolleyes:

My work blocks about 99% of all websites. I can get espn.com and whitesox.com and thats about it. So, for the past month or so, I've been using espn.com for any info about games and what not.

HEADLINE:

WE HAVE LIFT OFF

Breaking News:

BONDS HITS HOME RUN VS. ROX

I smirked, hit refresh; Sox beat Minny, Thome homers, I shrug and think about the first beer I may order.

Frontman
04-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh, wait, he did? I didn't notice.

The part that honks me off is that even if he passes Babe Ruth up "IT ISN'T THE RECORD!!! HANK AARON HAS THE RECORD, YOU TWITS OVER AT ESPN!!!!"

To make this a football reference, when Emmitt Smith passed Jim Brown, he still didn't have the record, Walter Payton did. Only when Smith passed Walter, (with possibly the worst play by play call ever when televised) did he have the record.

Now, too bad Barry wouldn't read this, but you twit. Passing Babe Ruth will not make America forget him or not talk about him. Do you really think football fans don't talk about Jim Brown? Or Walter Payton? They're not record holders anymore, why discuss them?

Sadly, even if you beat Aaron, I think the Hammer and the Babe will be talked about far more in years to come rather than you.

Front

TornLabrum
04-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Barry Bonds cannot get indicted by that Federal grand jury soon enough to suit me. Arrogant *****.

Frontman
04-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Barry Bonds cannot get indicted by that Federal grand jury soon enough to suit me. Arrogant *****.

On that Torn, I think we can agree.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Well there goes the first half hour of Sportscenter tomorrow morning. I DO NOT want him passing Ruth!No matter how many HR he hits, he will never have the record. In a strange way, I hope he passes Aaron, because it will force MLB to deal with the issue of tainted records. There's no way in hell they can let it stand.

Layla
04-23-2006, 11:51 AM
No matter how many HR he hits, he will never have the record. In a strange way, I hope he passes Aaron, because it will force MLB to deal with the issue of tainted records. There's no way in hell they can let it stand.

They can and they will.

Because right now, only Raffy tested positive. You and I can speculate all we want, and we'd probably be right. But unless you can prove it, there is nothing anyone can do.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
They can and they will.

Because right now, only Raffy tested positive. You and I can speculate all we want, and we'd probably be right. But unless you can prove it, there is nothing anyone can do.In Bonds' case, proof is one thing that's definately not lacking. What's lacking is a spine on the part of MLB's management. What do you think is forcing them to act now? Bonds eventually will shame MLB into action. And that's pretty damn hard to do.

Layla
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
In Bonds' case, proof is one thing that's definately not lacking. What's lacking is a spine on the part of MLB's management. What do you think is forcing them to act now? Bonds eventually will shame MLB into action. And that's pretty damn hard to do.

Let me say straight away - in my opinion, Bonds juiced. Sosa juiced. McGwire juiced. And I really liked Big Mac, and he just killed me during those congressional hearings.

But in Bonds case, yes, you have heresay. You have illegally gained Grand Jury reports. But when I say proof, I mean a positive test. He's more likely to get in trouble with the IRS that the steroids.

The only reason MLB is acting now is because of those Congressional hearings. If they didn't take place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Again, this is my opinion. MLB, including the executive offices all the way down to players, knew what was going on. But during the 1998 season, they needed to get fans back. What better than to have two players battle out a home run record that had been held for almost 40 years. And then, to have that record stand just a couple of years is a travesty to Maris.

And there is no way MLB is going to admit they stuck their heads in the sand.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Let me say straight away - in my opinion, Bonds juiced. Sosa juiced. McGwire juiced. And I really liked Big Mac, and he just killed me during those congressional hearings.

But in Bonds case, yes, you have heresay. You have illegally gained Grand Jury reports. But when I say proof, I mean a positive test. He's more likely to get in trouble with the IRS that the steroids.

The only reason MLB is acting now is because of those Congressional hearings. If they didn't take place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Again, this is my opinion. MLB, including the executive offices all the way down to players, knew what was going on. But during the 1998 season, they needed to get fans back. What better than to have two players battle out a home run record that had been held for almost 40 years. And then, to have that record stand just a couple of years is a travesty to Maris.

And there is no way MLB is going to admit they stuck their heads in the sand.If (when) Bonds goes on trial for perjury, there will be plenty of evidence in the public record. And he will give them the perfect cover for going after him while not addressing Sosa, McGwire, et al. Why do you think the Mitchell "investigation" is limited to only from 2003 onward?

For all the hot air that's been expended over this "investigation", it's about two things: 1) avoiding the embarrassment of having Bonds hold the career HR record, and 2) making it look like they're actually addressing the issue while they're furiously sweeping everything else under the rug.

petekat
04-24-2006, 11:41 PM
MC Hammer? You can't touch this

Sadly, even if you beat Aaron, I think the Hammer and the Babe will be talked about far more in years to come rather than you.

Front

petekat
04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
The White SOx almost had him too. But Frank but the kabosh on that signing....

They can and they will.

Because right now, only Raffy tested positive. You and I can speculate all we want, and we'd probably be right. But unless you can prove it, there is nothing anyone can do.

Unregistered
04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
The White SOx almost had him too. But Frank but the kabosh on that signing....
I'm pretty sure JR just asked Frank who he preferred and he said he'd rather have Albert Belle. And so it was...