PDA

View Full Version : Matt Guerrier

Chisox_cali
01-25-2002, 03:14 AM
What are his shots of making the team out of ST either in the pen or possibly the no. 5 starter? He, in my opinion, has kinda got lost in the pitcher mix with Rauch and Malone even though he won 18 games in the Minors last year

RedPinStripes
01-25-2002, 07:23 AM
He should be in line before Rauch and Malone. I would hope to see him make the team.

Rauch will be recovering from surgury still, and Malone will be in his third year in the system I think. I don't think Malone pitched that much in AA last year. He was in A for the first half. I'm not positive on that though.

harwar
01-25-2002, 09:42 AM
I don't know about Matt,but i've heard a rumor that the Sox are trying to move Bobby Howry to the dodgers for eric gagne.I really liked gagne last year at this time but he didn't exactly shine during the season.Still,i'd take him because i just don't trust Howry anymore.I also heard on the radio where Frank Thomas said hes' right on schedule and fully expects to hit 40 hrs & 100 rbis'.If he wasn't such a great natural hitter i'd say forget it,after a major injury and a whole year off,but with Big Frank you just never know.Keeping my fingers crossed.

Randar68
01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
He should be in line before Rauch and Malone. I would hope to see him make the team.

Rauch will be recovering from surgury still, and Malone will be in his third year in the system I think. I don't think Malone pitched that much in AA last year. He was in A for the first half. I'm not positive on that though.

Malone won't make the team even if he has a great spring, IMO, the Sox don't want to rush him. Midseason at the earliest. Guerrier is a hard read. If Rauch were at 100%, he'd make it over Guerrier, I think.

Buehrle, Garland, Ritchie, Glover are givens, yes? Throw Parque in there and that's already 5 starters!

Rauch will need about 1-2 months to get back to form, and Malone and Ulacia could really use a minimum of 1/2 a season, and in reality, a full season. Guerrier has bullpen stuff, IMO, I don't think he'd ever be capable of being more than a decent #3 or 4 starter on an average team. Since Fogg and Kip are gone, I would guess he'd make it as a bullpen guy if he does make the team. At this point, if he doesn't make the team, I would trade him. He has good value right now because of his performance last year and AFL performance, but we have guys lined up behind him with higher ceilings, IMO....

RedPinStripes
01-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Malone won't make the team even if he has a great spring, IMO, the Sox don't want to rush him. Midseason at the earliest. Guerrier is a hard read. If Rauch were at 100%, he'd make it over Guerrier, I think.

Buehrle, Garland, Ritchie, Glover are givens, yes? Throw Parque in there and that's already 5 starters!

Rauch will need about 1-2 months to get back to form, and Malone and Ulacia could really use a minimum of 1/2 a season, and in reality, a full season. Guerrier has bullpen stuff, IMO, I don't think he'd ever be capable of being more than a decent #3 or 4 starter on an average team. Since Fogg and Kip are gone, I would guess he'd make it as a bullpen guy if he does make the team. At this point, if he doesn't make the team, I would trade him. He has good value right now because of his performance last year and AFL performance, but we have guys lined up behind him with higher ceilings, IMO....

Jim Prque as a starter scares me. It sucks that he's the only option for another lefty in the rotation for now. Think Vining will ever be worth anything? I don't know much about him . I wasn't too impressed last year, but he's still young.

rdivaldi
01-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Guerrier has bullpen stuff, IMO, I don't think he'd ever be capable of being more than a decent #3 or 4 starter on an average team.

I don't know Randar, I was kind of thinking he could be a right-handed Buerhle. 4 pitches, gets them all over, low 90's fastball.

I guess that's wishful thinking, but the kid has excelled at every level he's been at.

kermittheefrog
01-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah but Guerrier hasn't excelled like Buehrle excelled. I think Guerrier's future is in the pen. You have his velocity exaggerated a bit there. He throws in the upper 80s, he's a sinker slider kind of guy. He only had 43 Ks in 80 or so AAA innings and his K/BB ratios are around 2. Buehrle's were around 4.

hold2dibber
01-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Do you really think Glover is a given for the rotation? Although he looked good at times last year, it doesn't seem to me that he has given any indication that he can be a competent starter over the long haul. I don't mean to suggest that he doesn't have that potential -- I just don't see any reason, at this point, to just hand him the no. 4 starter role. I actually think that Parque, if he is healthy, is a done deal for the no. 4 spot, and unlike many others, I think Parque is a pretty good no. 4 starter. What the Sox need -- desparately -- is a no. 2 starter, because Ritchie is a 3 and Garland, right now, is a 4 or 5.

rdivaldi
01-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Yeah but Guerrier hasn't excelled like Buehrle excelled. I think Guerrier's future is in the pen. You have his velocity exaggerated a bit there. He throws in the upper 80s, he's a sinker slider kind of guy. He only had 43 Ks in 80 or so AAA innings and his K/BB ratios are around 2. Buehrle's were around 4.

Very true kermit. I was just really high on Guerrier in 2000 after he was outstanding as a closer. I thought that changing him to a starter would be a mistake, but so far he's proven me wrong. [like that is very hard in the first place] :smile:

He had a very good WHIP at AAA (1.15) I'll take that as a very promising sign. He isn't our best starting pitching prospect, but he looks good so far.

mrwag
01-25-2002, 05:34 PM
After reading about all the pitchers we have in our system and who's fighting for what, I have to think we are in fantastic shape for 2002. I mean, to have the caliber of young arms we have, why rush anyone? I think we will look back in May and be very comfortable, pitching wise.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by harwar
I don't know about Matt,but i've heard a rumor that the Sox are trying to move Bobby Howry to the dodgers for eric gagne.I really liked gagne last year at this time but he didn't exactly shine during the season.Still,i'd take him because i just don't trust Howry anymore.I also heard on the radio where Frank Thomas said hes' right on schedule and fully expects to hit 40 hrs & 100 rbis'.If he wasn't such a great natural hitter i'd say forget it,after a major injury and a whole year off,but with Big Frank you just never know.Keeping my fingers crossed.
Plus I think the CW is that hitters come back from injury faster and more to their previous status than pitchers do...especially a guy like Frank