PDA

View Full Version : Radio Quote of the Game - 4/21/06

SBSoxFan
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Okay, I know the Sox radio commentary has been a little ... uummmm ... lacking this season, but Farmer made me :rolling: last night.

The situation: Runner on second 2 outs bottom of the 5th, Brian Anderson batting. Farmer mentions that Anderson had a hit (to left center?) his first time up, and that same hit here would produce a run.

The quote: [Farmer] "Rondell White's arm in left field? Forget about it; it's just attached." [\Farmer]

:roflmao:

Chips
04-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I think lacking is the wrong word. The broadcasts edge on unlistenable. Singleton is a busted leg.

kevingrt
04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I think lacking is the wrong word. The broadcasts edge on unlistenable. Singleton is a busted leg.

Harsh

patbooyah
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
i love ed farmer. i think he is funny, genuine and knows a lot about the game.

based on DJ's progression i have faith in singleton.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-22-2006, 12:07 PM
they're not that bad to listen to. are they as good as the rooney/farmer pairing? no, but the majority of the bashing stems from the one or two times people listened to them during spring training.

hawkjt
04-22-2006, 12:12 PM
I just heard the highlites on the post game show last nite and had to laugh at farmios call of lew fords homer

Theres a pitch to ford

Home run

silence.

That is the full description. Lean? yes. descriptive? not much.

TornLabrum
04-22-2006, 12:29 PM
they're not that bad to listen to. are they as good as the rooney/farmer pairing? no, but the majority of the bashing stems from the one or two times people listened to them during spring training.

Whenever I read any comments you make about the quality of anything, all I have to do is look at your user name to put them into perspective.

TornLabrum
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I just heard the highlites on the post game show last nite and had to laugh at farmios call of lew fords homer

Theres a pitch to ford

Home run

silence.

That is the full description. Lean? yes. descriptive? not much.

Bad? You bet.

JoeClutch24
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah I love listening to Ed Farmer, Singleton will get better, I think we were all spoiled with Jon Rooney.

TornLabrum
04-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah I love listening to Ed Farmer, Singleton will get better, I think we were all spoiled with Jon Rooney.

I love listening to Farmer doing color. His play-by-play is and has always been monotonous. I also like knowing the count as the game is going on rather than hering 0-1 and then finding out after the conversation that it's now 3-2.

ILuvThatDuck
04-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Give Singleton a chance. Keep in mind DJ was brutal when he started by he got better and we all learned to love him.

Look at the bright side of Singleton, he cant get worse. :cool:

I_Liked_Manuel
04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Whenever I read any comments you make about the quality of anything, all I have to do is look at your user name to put them into perspective.

thank you for the witty response

i'm not trying to make the case that the pairing of singleton/farmer is anything special, but it's not nearly as bad as some people on here make it out to be. they sound better together every game.

NDSox12
04-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Give Singleton a chance. Keep in mind DJ was brutal when he started by he got better and we all learned to love him.

:tealpolice:

You have no idea how long I've been waiting to use that since the first time it was used on me.

patbooyah
04-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Bad? You bet.

yeah, but who can trust your taste in radio? :D:

Chips
04-22-2006, 02:36 PM

My bashing comes from more than one or two spring training games, it comes the 2nd and 3rd games of the season, the five road games, the wednesday afternoon game against the royals and the times I've heard them while taking a leak at the Cell.

During the second game of the season, Singleton went through the lineup for the Sox, then he repeated it, then he proceeded to go through the positions and say what players were playing each position. Three times I heard that Scott Podesnik was leading off and playing left field.

Singleton wants to call Tadahito, "T.I."

I cannot stand the radio team, there is no excitment anywhere, Farmer's play by play is dull, Singleton is a twit.

There is more excitement during a Flubs radio broadcast than there is with Farmer and Singleton.

RKMeibalane
04-22-2006, 02:41 PM

That's not teal.

PaulDrake
04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
thank you for the witty response

i'm not trying to make the case that the pairing of singleton/farmer is anything special, but it's not nearly as bad as some people on here make it out to be. they sound better together every game. You're entitled to like Manuel but are we listening to the same broadcasts? I don't like to use the word hopeless, but that word comes to mind when I hear Chris Singleton.

Chips
04-22-2006, 02:52 PM
You're entitled to like Manuel but are we listening to the same broadcasts? I don't like to use the word hopeless, but that word comes to mind when I hear Chris Singleton.

As does incompetent, unavailing, good-for-nothing, inept, weak, worthless, expendable, futile, hopeless, meaningless, pointless, unproductive, wasteful, useless, impractical, ineffective and no good.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-22-2006, 03:19 PM
You're entitled to like Manuel but are we listening to the same broadcasts? I don't like to use the word hopeless, but that word comes to mind when I hear Chris Singleton.

he was horrible during spring training and the first few games of the year, but he's been much improved over the last week or so. the last few games have been pretty enjoyable to listen to.

johnr1note
04-22-2006, 03:54 PM
he was horrible during spring training and the first few games of the year, but he's been much improved over the last week or so. the last few games have been pretty enjoyable to listen to.

I suppose what we currently have is an improvement over the dead air in spring training.

I never thought I would live to see the day when I was nostalgic for Jon Rooney. His "Ted Knight" style of broadcasting always grated on me, but at least he could call a game. (I've been listening to him on the Cardinals broadcast on XM this afternoon -- he's still too "chipmunk cheerful" and full of trite, over used broadcastisms, but he is a profesiional broadcaster, and I can at least follow the game action as he calls the play by play).

Singleton can't do play by play . . . he gets tongue tied and ends up watching the action unfold BEFORE he describes it. "Theres a line drive to center [pause, listen to obvious crowd noise indicating action on the field], and Iguchi's aboard with a single [another long pause] Uribe scores, and the Sox lead 1 nothing." Its sad when the XM screen showing the number of outs is ahead of Singleton's play calling.

Farmer was a decent color guy, but as a play by play man, he's brutal. He needs to breathe -- its as if he can't let a moment go by without saying something, but the problem is, when he's not calling the game, he's always talking about something (usually himself, or proving to Chris that pitchers are morally and ethically better than outfielders, or something else that has nothing to do with the game on the field), and he needs to just call the game. But he's obviously in love with himself, his past, and his connection to every celebrity and sports event that he's ever been involved with. I appreciate his baseball knowledge, but the focus needs to be on the field.

Singleton as a color man might succeed, if Farmer wasn't always interrupting or derailing his thoughts.

But this all might be tolerable if the whole atmosphere of Sox games on the radio hadn't taken a turn for the worst by moving to WSCR. The frat boy - bad college radio concept that is "the Score" gets irritating fast. I almost can;t have my kids listenting aliong with -- ads for sexual disfunction? "Gentlemen's" clubs? Mike North screaming like he's on speed about "my guys," regardless of who he's reading an ad for?

White Sox radio has become a joke. For the third biggest market in the majors, you'd think we could do better. This whole escapade makes me almost wish the crew from WGN radio did our games. (Please note I said ALMOST!)

bennyw41
04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Does singleton do something when there is a home run? I know Farmer has his "home-run" call, but I was listening to a highlight clip and thought I heard Singleton do something?

MsSoxVixen22
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
i love ed farmer. i think he is funny, genuine and knows a lot about the game.

based on DJ's progression i have faith in singleton.

Exactly. I think Singleton just needs time to find his "groove." He's trying. I mean hell, I'm sure most of us would sound the same because we've had no previous broadcasting experience. Cut the guy some slack. At least he isn't Santo. JMHO, though

kraut83
04-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I've gotta be honest...I was listening to some of yesterday's game and didn't think they were that bad. Singleton seemed comfortable with his analysis & I didn't notice as much dead air between the two like there was earlier in the year.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Most often, my only option is radio. To me, they seem to be getting better as well. Maybe they're just growing on me? The biggest problem right now, as someone mentioned above, is talking over so many pitches. I assume nothing real important happened, but I sure would like to know the count! Also, Singleton still doesn't have much of a rythm when he talks.

I do think they both express a decent amount of enthusiasm. Singleton gets pretty excited when the Sox hit a HR, and I enjoy Farmer's "light it up" call.