PDA

View Full Version : Matt Thornton > Damaso Marte

Mohoney
04-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Who else at WSI thinks that Matt Thornton will provide better relief in 2006 than Damaso Marte did in 2005?

Scottiehaswheels
04-22-2006, 05:01 AM
You should have a third option.... Both.... Marte was only bad at the end of the season when the rest of the team was struggling and a certain ALDS game... He was an unsung hero for the better part of the season... Much like Vizcaino at the end of the year.. I think Thornton has the stuff to be phenomenal though if he heeds Coop's advice.

Actually you know what? I remember him walking in the winning run at Wrigley one year.... Good riddance!

BV2005
04-22-2006, 09:35 AM
its too early to tell

Mr. White Sox
04-22-2006, 10:29 AM
At the moment, Marte was much better overall. I really didn't like him that much either. As of now, Thornton has thrown only 5.0 IP; he has a Damaso-like 5 K's and 4 BB's. Let's hold off on the Thornton Express for a while, eh?

Lots of guys have "potential", and a 97mph fastball is definitely a good start. If he can't locate his slider, though, he won't be much use other than a back of the bullpen guy.

Saracen
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Seriously, who knows. Thornton has only pitched in 3 games & has issued 4 walks. Give it a couple months and we'll see.

Corlose 15
04-22-2006, 11:20 AM
A couple of those walks were of the intentional variety vs KC. I agree its too early to tell and Thornton has only pitched 5 innings but his control hasn't been that bad.

I just looked it up and he intentionally walked 3 batters in that game vs KC, so in 5 innings he's only actually walked 1.

TomParrish79
04-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I am one of those guys over the last few years that has been guilty of thinking anytime they brought Marte into the game with us leading...that he would blow the game for us. But at the same time Thornton scares me because everytime I have seen him its like he cant find the strike zone but maybe thats cuz I havent seen him pitch much. I have only seen him since the season began, I didnt get to see any of his ST work.

So if there was a 3rd option of "Always Worrying" then I would have to click that one

SOXSINCE'70
04-22-2006, 11:43 AM
If Don Cooper can work miracles with Garland and Contreras,
think of what he could accomplish once he gets inside Thornton's
head.:cool: :cool: :cool:

goofymsfan
04-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm really pulling for Matt to do well for the Sox. He's another of the Minor Leaguer's that I "adopted" to follow. I think the change of scenery has done him well and can't wait to see him again when the Sox come to town on Monday.

kevingrt
04-22-2006, 01:01 PM
It depends at what point in Damaso's career as a Sox we are talking about. When he came in he was awesome. Then the last two years he had trouble locating his stuff especially the back door breaking ball. Thorton probably will develop into a good pitcher but Damaso did receive a lot of unwarranted crap from fans.

chaerulez
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Overall, I'd say Damaso Marte's Sox stint was a success. His worst season with the Sox was last year and that was with a 3.77 ERA. And that was due to control problems, which everyone knows. The first two years he was here, he was lights out and his third year was still very solid.

oeo
04-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Don't forget that Marte pitched a very good 13th inning in Game 3 of the WS, and then came out and had them put away in the 14th if Uribe hadn't made an error. I'll thank everyone on that team for their efforts, there's not one guy I don't like at this point.

SoxEd
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
I want to vote 'both of the above'.

Marte was very good intiially, then he started to lose his fit on our team, and his performance went down as a result.

Thornton has great potential, and as we know, as a Pitching Coach, Coop es muy caliente.

Only time will tell us whether he can turn Thornton around.
Vazquez' performance against KC has me hopeful, but we have to remember that it was against KC.

If Vazquez is that unhittable the next couple of times through our rotation, then I'm confident that Thornton will deliver here for us too.

Don Cooper - YES!

Banix12
04-23-2006, 12:05 AM
So far this season
Marte's WHIP 1.93, 4.2 innings
Thornton's WHIP 2.20, 5 innings

Neither are exactly tearing it up right now, though both have sub 4.00 ERA's. Both are giving up hits with Thornton walking a couple more.

Marte is probably marginally better right now but that isn't really saying much.