PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about 9/11/95

Mohoney
04-22-2006, 04:09 AM
On 9/11/95, at Jacobs Field, did the Yankees and Indians actually play a game in which no assists were recorded? It's an urban legend that I've heard about several times, and a buddy of mine brought it up at work today. I'm just wondering if it's true.

gbergman
04-22-2006, 05:23 AM
that has to be impossible unless both pitchers were astounding and had a lot of k's or a lot of fly balls nop way could this happen

voodoochile
04-22-2006, 05:57 AM
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09110CLE1995.htm

That is the retrosheet box for the game.

The Indians recorded 13 assists in the game all by themselves.

The Yankees didn't record one, but McDowell threw a 4 hit, 4 BB shutout and struckout 8, so there weren't a lot of baserunners period.

The Yankees turned no DP's and there is no data on the Tribe Team LOB in that box score.

A break down of the PO goes like this:

3B - 5
SS - 2
2B - 0
1B - 3
LF - 3
CF - 4
RF - 2
C - 8 (the K's)

TDog
04-22-2006, 03:25 PM
The Sox played a game in Baltimore on Aug. 17, 1972, in which they had just one assist. Bobby Grich grounded out to third baseman Ed Spezio in the sixth inning. It was a radio-only day game requiring a special trip to Baltimore. I was keeping score (it was my last summer before I had to go to work). Dave Lemonds pitched 6 for the win in the 6-1 victory and Cy Acosta pitched 3 for the save. There were a lot of pop ups, and all but one of the ground balls were handled as unassisted put outs. The Orioles had 12 assists. A pinch-hitter (who came into catch after fouling out to third in the seventh) had as many assists as the entire Sox team.

I don't know if anyone else was listening to the game on a Thursday afternoon, but I would be skeptical of anyone who said they were at the ballpark in Baltimore that day. I wrote down the attendance at 655.