PDA

View Full Version : Very Real Possibility with Yankees and Braves

lostletters
04-22-2006, 12:53 AM
I think it is a very real possibility with both the Yankees and Braves, that one or both of these teams will not be in the playoffs this year.

Plain and simple the yankees pitching staff sucks. I really do not think this team will win the AL east again, or get the wild card. My personal opinion is the Indians or even Toronto for the wild card. While they have an impressive hitting lineup, Boston, Cleveland and Toronto all have better pitching, and I think Boston and Cleveland have a more dangerous hitters. Toronto is no joke either with thier lineup. All have better defense then the yankees, which save for third base are pretty darn awful.

Atlanta's problems stem from the loss of thier pitching coach, which is huge, it is like if the White Sox lost Don Cooper.

I know it may sound odd by my guess is it will be Boston, Cleveland, The White Sox and whoever wins the AL west (which may be as weak as the NL west at this point).

I just this may be the first time in years that neither the Yanks or Atlanta will be in the playofs.

TheOldRoman
04-22-2006, 01:04 AM
As much as I hate the Yankees, I would much rather face them in the playoffs than the Red Sox. The Red Sox have much much better pitching than the Yankees. Randy Johnson is still really good at times, but I don't think he is great anymore. After him, it is Mike Mussina (a shell of the shell of his former self that he was the past few years), Wang, Chacon, and probably some other crappy pitcher they pick off the scrap heap. In their bullpen, they have the Immortal Tanyon Stuerze and the Incomprable Kyle Farnsworth.

As for the Braves, wait until July to say they are dead. The Mets might win the division, but the Braves will put up a hell of a fight.

HomeFish
04-22-2006, 01:30 AM
The Yankees have started off terrible each year since at least 2003. They'll win the AL East as usual, but they won't necessarily get back into first place until May, June, or even the All-Star Break.

TomParrish79
04-22-2006, 01:36 AM
The Yankees have started off terrible each year since at least 2003. They'll win the AL East as usual, but they won't necessarily get back into first place until May, June, or even the All-Star Break.

Exactly, they have a terrible first month and a half and then they start winning and then they replace Boston in 1st place of the division sometimes in the last month and a half of the season

MrRoboto83
04-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Don't count the Braves out ever, in 2004 they started out terrible and got real hot in the 2nd half of the season. I would never put anything past Mr. Bobby Cox.

QCIASOXFAN
04-22-2006, 02:58 AM
I see your argument and everything and I agree with you that there is that chance. I think the strongest case is for the Braves, young team and now the Mets are, I hate to say it a "Serious Contender". I look at the Yankees last year who were terrible forever in the beginning, got swept by the damn Royals in K.C., but then they won like 23 of 30 or something crazy like that. I hate it as much as everybody but hear goes that old saying that "they are still the Yankees".

Mohoney
04-22-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm guaranteeing that the Yankees win the AL East.

Boston will fade, as will Toronto.

As for the Wild Card, I'll take the Indians, who will have the 2nd best record in the AL.

I'll take:

Us (ALC) 102 wins
Indians (ALWC) 95 wins
Yankees (ALE) 94 wins
Angels (ALW) 91 wins

"Comedy Central" no more, as we square off against the Indians in the ALCS.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
As much as I hate the Yankees, I would much rather face them in the playoffs than the Red Sox.

I agree with you...but for a different reason - we bitch slapped the Red Sox last year. This year, I want Yankee blood. I want to see Steinbrenner blow up his empire when the White Sox steamroll the best team money couldn't buy.

Chips
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I will guarantee that the Braves win the NL East.

I will also say that they will be in first place by Flag Day.

The Yankees will win the AL East.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I will guarantee that the Braves win the NL East.

I will also say that they will be in first place by Flag Day.

The Yankees will win the AL East.

its hard to count out either team. every year it looks as if the Braves' streak is over, and they always end up winning it. im sure the yanks will buy a whole organization at the deadline to win it.

chisoxmike
04-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't care how trendy picking the Mets to win the NL east is...they will fall and the Braves will rise to the divison title, so will the Yankees in the AL East. Book it. I'm still not sold on the Red Sox.

balke
04-23-2006, 07:50 PM
The Red Sox are in a little trouble without Crisp leading off, but I still think they'll find themselves in the playoffs. I don't have the faith in Cleveland that everyone else does to be a lock for the wild card.

Braves... I don't know how in the world they'll get to the playoffs. Smoltz isn't too Smoltz-like so far, and the pitching just isn't there. I know they've done it before, but this Mets team is just too sick to be messed with at the moment. 1 out of every 5 games they have the chance to go from Pedro to Wagner with Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, Floyd, and Lo Duca hitting for them.... yikes.

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2006, 08:47 PM
This year, I want Yankee blood. I want to see Steinbrenner blow up his empire when the White Sox steamroll the best team money couldn't buy.

It would be great to see the White Sox pull off this feat.:o:
It would be even better to see the Palehose repeat as world champs.:cool:
No team has done that since the 1999-2000 Yankmees.:rolleyes:

PKalltheway
04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
I think it is a very real possibility with both the Yankees and Braves, that one or both of these teams will not be in the playoffs this year.
I just this may be the first time in years that neither the Yanks or Atlanta will be in the playofs.
As much as all of us want this to be true, it won't be. In late June, we'll be saying "Those bastards are doing it again." Just like they do every year.

oeo
04-23-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm guaranteeing that the Yankees win the AL East.

Boston will fade, as will Toronto.

As for the Wild Card, I'll take the Indians, who will have the 2nd best record in the AL.

I'll take:

Us (ALC) 102 wins
Indians (ALWC) 95 wins
Yankees (ALE) 94 wins
Angels (ALW) 91 wins

"Comedy Central" no more, as we square off against the Indians in the ALCS.

I still do not see the Indians even taking the Wild Card; sole reason being their pitching. Their rotation is mediocre and their bullpen is very weak. I think the Royals showed this weekend what kind of up-and-down season the Indians will have.

I still have to take the Red Sox as the Wild Card, again, with the A's taking the West.