PDA

View Full Version : AJ Burnett leaves game early tonight...

beckett21
04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
After four innings with elbow soreness.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsS1ZNq6tREy3cUKceKlCnMRvLYF?slug=ap-bluejaysburnett&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I figured I'd just go ahead and be the one to get it over with and post it before someone else does. :(:

SectionBNole
04-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Oh boy.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
The Toronto Star tends to be the harshest critic of the Jays up here (there are 4 Toronto dailies). Today's sports headline was:

A.J.'s golden arm hurts
Blue Jays' $55M pitcher a bust?
Burnett flies out to U.S. for tests

You can almost FEEL the teal in that headline. :cool:

beckett21
04-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Back on the 15-day DL (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AplVJREPE_xIIMJ6BwJQmw05nYcB?slug=ap-bluejays-burnett&prov=ap&type=lgns)

As one of his staunchest supporters here, he is not making my job easy. :redneck

oeo
04-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I still don't understand why this guy was one of the most sought-after free agents.

beckett21
04-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I still don't understand why this guy was one of the most sought-after free agents.
Because he can throw 104 mph. That can't be taught. When he is on, he can be virtually unhittable.

Despite being an injury risk, he really hadn't had any major setbacks since he returned from his surgery in 2004. Harness that power, and you would have one of the top power pitchers in the game.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Because he can throw 104 mph. That can't be taught. When he is on, he can be virtually unhittable.

Despite being an injury risk, he really hadn't had any major setbacks since he returned from his surgery in 2004. Harness that power, and you would have one of the top power pitchers in the game.
Yup. Burnett pitched like a beast for the first two innings last night. Then it all went to hell in his arm again.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
*cough* Darren Dreifort

Baby Fisk
04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
A satirical take on A.J. Burnett's season: linky (http://www.thebrushback.com/ajburnett_full.htm)

Flight #24
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM

He also throws that 104 with significant movement, although that's usually caused by the fact that his hand & forearm are still attached to the ball as it crosses the plate.........

:hawk
"Don't tell me how fast you throw, tell me where & how frequently you throw it"

SOXintheBURGH
04-27-2006, 03:15 AM
The Toronto Star tends to be the harshest critic of the Jays up here (there are 4 Toronto dailies). Today's sports headline was:

A.J.'s golden arm hurts
Blue Jays' $55M pitcher a bust?
Burnett flies out to U.S. for tests

You can almost FEEL the teal in that headline. :cool:

Sounds like an entry in You Write Tomorrow's Toronto Star Headline

soxinem1
04-27-2006, 07:26 AM

I agree with oeo. He's put together with bandaides and not mentally prepared to be ace material. What has he done to deserve that type of deal? Rip his team?

Your judgement is based on his talent (though he does not throw 104), mine is based on his lack of accomplishment.

Either way, the Jays knew this could be coming. It's their mess, let them take the heat.

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2006, 07:29 AM
He throws 104? in metric or U.S.? I think I could throw 104kph.......

beckett21
04-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree with oeo. He's put together with bandaides and not mentally prepared to be ace material. What has he done to deserve that type of deal? Rip his team?

Your judgement is based on his talent (though he does not throw 104), mine is based on his lack of accomplishment.

Either way, the Jays knew this could be coming. It's their mess, let them take the heat.
He was reportedly clocked at 104 mph in Pittsburgh last season, IIRC. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the gun, and obviously he doesn't throw that on a regular basis. You get the idea. :redneck

We can agree to disagree on the point of him 'ripping his team' as well. Marlins' management deserved to be ripped IMO. He spoke for the players who couldn't do so themselves since he was leaving that mess behind anyway. Given the state of affairs with that team, I'll give Burnett the benefit of the doubt on that one. Go back to the context of the incident. It was the frustration of a fierce competitor boiling over IMO. Marlins management is hardly a bastion of integrity. :rolleyes:

By the accounts of Marlins fans which I have read in the past on their fan boards, AJ was and is very fan-friendly. I don't believe him to be a clubhouse cancer, but I've never been in a clubhouse with him.

I will agree that he has not done anything to justify the magnitude of his contract yet. He is a tremendous talent though. While his health history will always be a concern, he hadn't missed more than a couple starts since his return from surgery until this season.

I think a lot of people still get him confused with Beckett, who has been on the DL far more times than Burnett, albeit for minor injuries such as blisters.

It is hard to defend him while he's on the DL; that's all I've got right now. :D: