PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the CF position

caulfield12
04-21-2006, 04:47 PM
If Anderson continues to struggle offensively and strike out at a prodigious pace, who do you guys see as the best option?

Owens or Pods in CF and LF?
Ruben Rivera?
Mark Quinn, with Pods in CF?

What has happened to Sweeney´s rediscovered power (only one XB hit)? Darren Blakely also has been struggling big-time.

Is there any possibility the White Sox might be willing to trade Gload or Rogowski to the Cubs, especially Casey? I´m assuming the Cubs are going to look for an established vet type like Mientkiewicz, but time will tell.

Randar68
04-21-2006, 04:54 PM
If Anderson continues to struggle offensively and strike out at a prodigious pace, who do you guys see as the best option?

Ruben Rivera?

What has happened to Sweeney´s rediscovered power (only one XB hit)? Darren Blakely also has been struggling big-time.

Is there any possibility the White Sox might be willing to trade Gload or Rogowski to the Cubs, especially Casey? I´m assuming the Cubs are going to look for an established vet type like Mientkiewicz, but time will tell.

This is a question for the minor league board?

The Sox are going to give Anderson 50-100 games to right himself and as the #9 hitter, I don't think anyone is all that concerned right now. He is not an integral part of the offense and is only being asked to do his job and play great D. As long as he does that, you're not going to see KW bench/trade/send down one of his favorite prospects of the last 10 years...

Banix12
04-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Ruben Rivera?

In all seriousness, if it ever came to replacing Anderson, Rivera, Quinn and even Blakely should probably never even enter the conversation.

Anderson is going to get a lot more time before the sox give up on him. If it gets to the trade deadline and he still struggles then I could see a trade happening.

soxinem1
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
In all seriousness, if it ever came to replacing Anderson, Rivera, Quinn and even Blakely should probably never even enter the conversation.

Anderson is going to get a lot more time before the sox give up on him. If it gets to the trade deadline and he still struggles then I could see a trade happening.

If we are worried about Anderson's KO rate, then none of these replacements should even be mentioned. I'd be more inclined to use Mackowiak.

With this line up, even if BA ends up hitting .230, they should be okay because he has played an excellent CF

KRS1
04-22-2006, 01:32 AM
If we are worried about Anderson's KO rate, then none of these replacements should even be mentioned. I'd be more inclined to use Mackowiak.

With this line up, even if BA ends up hitting .230, they should be okay because he has played an excellent CF
There is no such stat as a knock out in baseball. Well, maybe if you count Hafner getting his face busted by Burlymon.

Anyway, this thread is just rediculous. Give the guy at least 100 AB's before you write him off, and with a guy of his potential I would be willing to wait much longer before starting such threads. patience is a virtue, and a necessity when evaluating what a player can do in the bigs. Not everyone comes out and hits .300 right off the bat, the ones who do are few and far between. It takes a real pro to shake off a start like Brian's and persevere, and getting heckling and head hunting calls from the likes of you Caulfield isnot going to help. He will be fine, he as tremendous poise and ability, and for a guy who is major league ready, playing in the majors may be the only way for him to work out whatever kinks he has. He has his niche as a great defender in a position where it is premium, and I have extreme faith in his ability to become an above average hitter shortly. I expect him to be lacing balls to the gap soon, and hopefully he proves me right. This sig is an idea open for all to use, because I have a feling we'll all be saying it soon enough.

http://www.freewebs.com/bajunge/matrix8.JPG"Mr. Anderson! Welcome back, we missed you."

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2004/03/30/sVuPdbiN.jpg
"It ends tonight!"

QCIASOXFAN
04-22-2006, 02:14 AM
I am more than willing to ride this Brian Anderson thing out for at least another couple of months so he can find his place. Kenny likes to give people chances I have noticed, a few examples of people who were terrible when they came up are Crede and Garland. I went to a Indians vs Sox game with my uncle early in the season 2 years ago after Crede went 0-5 and Garland gave up 7 runs and turned on sports radio after the game on the car ride home and people wanted them dead. I am starting to get that same feeling about Anderson and think that we should calm down. Were on a roll right now and I think he will be fine.

soxinem1
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
There is no such stat as a knock out in baseball. Well, maybe if you count Hafner getting his face busted by Burlymon.

Okay, K is the proper designation. I'm sure you knew what was implied.

ondafarm
04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Anderson does seem to be turning a corner. He did get a hit against Santana. He is also seeing more pitches per at bat and I certainly wouldn't call his strikeout rate "prodigous".

caulfield12
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, just once, it would be nice to see a Sox prospect come out on fire. Crede, Rowand and Garland all struggled from the get go. Buehrle and Kip Wells were the exception.

Anderson and Uribe is not the equivalent of Johnson and Clayton by any means, and they will escape unmentioned as long as the team wins 11 of 12. Pods too.

I do think that he (BA) needs to be above .200 by mid-May or something might need to be done.

Nobody said who they would pick of Owens, Rivera, Quinn and Blakely. Obviously, based on his hot streak recently, it would probably be Owens, with Quinn second. Rivera had always been a better and more natural RFer, but his injuries ruined one of the best young throwing arms most scouts have ever seen.

churlish
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Well, just once, it would be nice to see a Sox prospect come out on fire. Crede, Rowand and Garland all struggled from the get go. Buehrle and Kip Wells were the exception.
Didn't Mike Caruso hit over .300 his rookie year. Who cares what happens in 50 at-bats from a player who has Gold-Glove potential and the ability to hit 25 HRs. If you look at any player over 50 at-bats, you will be able to find plenty of instances among ALL players where they hit less than .200 and have a lot of strikeouts. If Anderson is hitting under .200 with 200 at-bats, than a replacement may be in order. Otherwise, let the #9 hitter figure it out and enjoy the fact that we're discussing the woes of our #9 hitter while the Sox are on a huge winning streak.

veeter
04-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Where's the "This Thread Sucks" guy?

caulfield12
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but Caruso wasn´t a product of our system. If anything, he was rushed, and that definitely had a huge impact on his major league career.

Nobody has answered the question yet!

ondafarm
04-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, but Caruso wasn´t a product of our system. If anything, he was rushed, and that definitely had a huge impact on his major league career.

Nobody has answered the question yet!

Your answer: he's not, so I'm not worried about it.

Banix12
04-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Nobody said who they would pick of Owens, Rivera, Quinn and Blakely. Obviously, based on his hot streak recently, it would probably be Owens, with Quinn second. Rivera had always been a better and more natural RFer, but his injuries ruined one of the best young throwing arms most scouts have ever seen.

Well by me saying that Rivera, Quinn and Blakely shouldn't even be in consideration that would leave Owens as the option.

Rivera has no business in the major leagues anymore. He has power but has never shown any ability to hit for a decent average. There is no sense in giving playing time to Rivera over Anderson. Anderson at least has potential to fall back on. Rivera is a .210 hitting strikeout machine and has the track record to prove it. Blakely is just now reaching AAA at age 29. For me he needs to do something at that level before he gets a promotion. Quinn has been garbage since 2001. He's minor league filler now, possibly a 25th man/pinch hitter on a bad team.

And realistically if the sox get to around july and august, when we expect the sox to be very much in contention, and Anderson is still struggling I think it would be better to make a trade than hand the job to another rookie.

Daver
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Umm. forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is a discussion about the nine slot in the order correct?

If the ninth hitter in your lineup is carrying his weight on the defensive side of the ball, you chalk it up as even. Anderson has shown that he is a much better CF'er than the player he is replacing.

Perhaps I am missing something?

soxinem1
04-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Umm. forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is a discussion about the nine slot in the order correct?

If the ninth hitter in your lineup is carrying his weight on the defensive side of the ball, you chalk it up as even. Anderson has shown that he is a much better CF'er than the player he is replacing.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Thank you!

As one who believes that the young players should be worked in and not judged after 60 AB's, they are doing just fine with Anderson.

Besides, the team is 12-5. Why the panic? Why is this even a discussion?

He gone
04-23-2006, 09:24 AM
If the ninth hitter in your lineup is carrying his weight on the defensive side of the ball, you chalk it up as even.

Anyone remember Ron Karkovice :redneck

Brian is doing exactly what is expected of him in CF. Our line-up can afford a 9th place hitter hitting around .200 or less. We waited for Crede and Garland, we'll wait on Brian. It's only 3 weeks into the season, he'll be ok.

caulfield12
04-23-2006, 10:48 AM
That´s my point, at this time in the season, we really don´t have the option to make a trade, we would have to wait until at least mid-June.

As long as the White Sox were in first place, it is not as critical....but, then again, every game back we put Cleveland in the first 4 months of the season was absolutely needed coming down the stretch.

I don´t think we will have the luxury of burying the rest of the field, with the exception of the Royals.

If we´re still in a development mode and can afford to AND Anderson´s swing is still too big, we can try Owens for a while. That would be the closest approximation we could ever get to the Pierre-Pods ¨dream¨ top of the order that many fans were clamoring for...with Thome proving he´s back, they could afford the sacrifice of power...as long as they didn´t have Sweeney playing RF to go with Owens and Pods. But that´s a long ways off.

I guess the problem has been exacerbated by the fact that Mackowiak has also struggled, along with Pods. Yet still we´re winning, so maybe this is the old ¨glass is half empty¨ instead of half-full discussion.

ondafarm
04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
I guess the problem has been exacerbated by the fact that Mackowiak has also struggled, along with Pods. Yet still we´re winning, so maybe this is the old ¨glass is half empty¨ instead of half-full discussion.

The glass isn't half empty, . . . it's twice as large as it needs to be.

Anderson is a rookie, every rookie has to adjust to playing in the major leagues. He's been concentrating more on his defense and he has been doing very well on defense, significantly better than Rowand is playing for the Phillies, which I've been able to keep an eye on.

Anderson is working with Greg Walker and he's seeing a lot more pitches per at bat, that's a good sign, he's definately making progress and he'll be performing well with the bat before long.

As long as he's playing great defense, anything he contributes offensively is gravy on the biscuits.

He gone
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
we can try Owens for a while.

Jerry is batting .227 down at Charlotte right now :?:

caulfield12
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
But he's also something like 7 for his last 17. He has finally found his stroke and has been hitting for surprising power.

I know the BA fans were cheering with Hawk on Friday night for his SAC FLY to stretch into a homer...we will just have to wait and see what happens. Seems like BA is a pretty good kid, great for the clubhouse and reporters' quotes...

ondafarm
04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Hopefully Brian Anderson's day today will shut up the inept critics.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, just once, it would be nice to see a Sox prospect come out on fire.

Yeah, because Mike Caruso and Chris Singleton turned out SOOOOOO great after doing just that, right?

Sheeesh, this thread is pure ridiculousness.

Tragg
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Keeping Anderson right where he is is the best option.

caulfield12
04-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Are you still so sure about that?

Daver
04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Are you still so sure about that?

Yes.

ondafarm
04-30-2006, 05:20 PM
A link to a proper discussion on this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70145