PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/21/06

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
"Your not going to replace Lee in any kind of trade ....." said Jim Hendry. Not sure if the fool Marlins got this memo or not, im thinking not. The SOX end their brief streak of marginal gains today, with the north-side team again getting the lions share of Media Attention. Paul "Cubby" Sullivan was on the radio this morning, and sounded about as down and dejected as any frat-boy, bleacher loving fan of the blue corporation as Ive ever heard. He did say he is however very confident that ex Twin Restovich will be called up and will do very well in the big leagues. How did they acquire Restovich? He was a pretty good player I remember. The SOX haircut stories are good for us, only because the SOX wouldnt be getting any other news in the media.
Chicago Tribune:
8 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Friday April 21st, 2006
Priviledged, 4th Place in 2005, 17 90-loss seasons since 1950 Cubs 290
Underdog, WS Champs in 2005, 8 90-loss seasons since 1950 SOX 262

thepaulbowski
04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
"Your not going to replace Lee in any kind of trade ....." said Jim Hendry.

If you are going to quote him at least get it right: You're

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
[I] He did say he is however very confident that ex Twin Restovich will be called up and will do very well in the big leagues. How did they acquire Restovich? He was a pretty good player I remember.
B]

He was? When was that exactly? Restovich is a careeer .254 hitter with a whopping six homers and 19 RBI in 228 at-bats.

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
He was? When was that exactly? Restovich is a careeer .254 hitter with a whopping six homers and 19 RBI in 228 at-bats.

Restovich put those stats up in the American League. Add 30 points now
that hes in the NL.
I agree with him, Restovich is going to end up being very important, in a one-year wonder kind of way (see Gaetti; Simon; Borowski; Fassero)

Iwritecode
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
that hes in the NL.
I agree with him, Restovich is going to end up being very important, in a one-year wonder kind of way (see Gaetti; Simon; Borowski; Fassero)

Restovich wasn't good enough to stick around on the Colorado Rockies...

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Restovich wasn't good enough to stick around on the Colorado Rockies...

...just watch. that jerk will hit in that bogus park

Dick Allen
04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
...just watch. that jerk will hit in that bogus parkDon't worry, Hangar, he won't be anything close to D Lee.

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2006, 11:49 AM
that hes in the NL.

I really don't think he will play enough to make an impact.

Iwritecode
04-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Don't worry, Hangar, he won't be anything close to D Lee.

He's also never played first base in his MLB career.

Neither has Jones, Murton or Pierre. Why are they calling this guy up again???

Scottiehaswheels
04-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Restovich put those stats up in the American League. Add 30 points now that hes in the NL.

Hangar,

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but how do batters gain 30 points by switching from the AL to NL? I can see pitchers losing 30 points because they don't face the DH but.... I'd like to see the math on gaining 30 points to your B.A. by moving to the NL... In that case, BA's BA still sucks in the NL too!

P.S. I think you're starting to think like Scrub fans with statements like that. Oh I'm gonna burn in hell for that one!

It's Time
04-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Hangar,

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but how do batters gain 30 points by switching from the AL to NL? I can see pitchers losing 30 points because they don't face the DH but.... I'd like to see the math on gaining 30 points to your B.A. by moving to the NL... In that case, BA's BA still sucks in the NL too!

P.S. I think you're starting to think like Scrub fans with statements like that. Oh I'm gonna burn in hell for that one!

I have come to the conclussion, after reading numerous posts by Hangar, that he is as far moved from reality as one could be. IMO, very few of his posts make much sense.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-21-2006, 12:38 PM
I have come to the conclussion, after reading numerous posts by Hangar, that he is as far moved from reality as one could be. IMO, very few of his posts make much sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you post something very similar to this in yesterday's thread by Hangar, too?

And you expected something different when you clicked to read today's thread?

And you're complaining again?

So what's your definition of stupid?

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM

Arent you the same Its Time from yesterday?

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Hangar,

I was supposed to put that in teal .....sorry :redface:

Scottiehaswheels
04-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I was supposed to put that in teal .....sorry :redface:Ha no prob... thought that might have been the case

It's Time
04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you post something very similar to this in yesterday's thread by Hangar, too?

And you expected something different when you clicked to read today's thread?

And you're complaining again?

So what's your definition of stupid?

I see what you are saying, George. But just when I thought I had read it all, he brings up Restovich as some savior to the Cubs. I'm not surprised but it is rather comical.

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 01:05 PM
I see what you are saying, George. But just when I thought I had read it all, he brings up Restovich as some savior to the Cubs. I'm not surprised but it is rather comical.

If you read closely (read being the operative word) I said Paul "Cubby" Sullivan thinks Restovich will be pretty good as a call-up. I said I agreed that hes going to be good in a 1-yr wonder sort of way (I then put some recent examples of 1 yr wonder players), then said (teal 30 point American to National scale) that he'd hit 30 pts better than his average. You found the entire post comical. Like How? Comical like funny? or amusing?
Your the same guy that gets mad whenever I speak ill of the north side team, I remember you now ...........

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 01:07 PM

I think 300 of his 330 posts have to do with ripping my posts that rip on Paul Sullivan and Mike Kiley being biased cub lovers in the media

Iwritecode
04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
If you read closely (read being the operative word) I said Paul "Cubby" Sullivan thinks Restovich will be pretty good as a call-up. I said I agreed that hes going to be good in a 1-yr wonder sort of way (I then put some recent examples of 1 yr wonder players), then said (teal 30 point American to National scale) that he'd hit 30 pts better than his average. You found the entire post comical. Like How? Comical like funny? or amusing?
Your the same guy that gets mad whenever I speak ill of the north side team, I remember you now ...........

I think you are giving Restovich too much credit. I seriously doubt he'll be any sort of 1-year wonder. He's a career .250 hitter with very little power who wasn't wanted by the Rockies or Pirates. He also has zero experience at 1st base. I can't see him getting enough playing time to make a difference either way...

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I think you are giving Restovich too much credit. I seriously doubt he'll be any sort of 1-year wonder. He's a career .250 hitter with very little power who wasn't wanted by the Rockies or Pirates. He also has zero experience at 1st base. I can't see him getting enough playing time to make a difference either way...

Rockies I dont believe are good at judging talent. The Pirates? Theyre too busy giving their players away. The idea supposedly to move Walker to 1b and Restovich to the OF. Again, Paul "Cubby" Sullivan was the one playing GM and saying hes the one they will call up ..............

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Rockies I dont believe are good at judging talent. The Pirates? Theyre too busy giving their players away. The idea supposedly to move Walker to 1b and Restovich to the OF. Again, Paul "Cubby" Sullivan was the one playing GM and saying hes the one they will call up ..............

The Twins are very good at judging talent and were the first to let Mr. Restovich go.

Case closed.

Iwritecode
04-21-2006, 01:48 PM

Walker to 1b makes a little more sense because Hairston can play second but who is Restovich going to replace in the OF? None of their current outfielders can play any other positions that I know of.

Uncle_Patrick
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Hangar,
I'm surprised that you make no mention of the fact the Rick "I have no basis for my belief that the Cubs will take the NL Central this year" Morrissey, the same guy who cheered Cub fan loyalty while claiming that "many" Sox fans were already giving up on the Sox after their 4 game losing streak, has now all but given up on the Cubs in light of the D. Lee injury.

nedlug
04-21-2006, 02:46 PM

http://movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/goodfellas/_group_photos/joe_pesci2.jpg

"You think I'm funny? Funny like a clown?"

SoxFanPrope
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Hangar,
Just wondering, aside from WSI do you make these counts known to any other website or in any other fashion? Here it seems more like you are preaching to the choir. It seems you might have more of an impact on the way people think about this if you call the Score/ESPN 1000, or even write letters to the editor to be published.

Scottiehaswheels
04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Also... break up the thing between Sun-times/Cubune coverage.... if you lump them all together it really doesn't show the whole bias... say if the bright one has 10 articles on the sox and 3 on the Cubs.... the 20 the Cubune puts out on the scrubs makes it look totally biased when its really just the Cubune that day

thepaulbowski
04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
The Twins are very good at judging talent and were the first to let Mr. Restovich go.

Case closed.

Didn't they give up on David Ortiz, too. :cool:

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Hangar,
Just wondering, aside from WSI do you make these counts known to any other website or in any other fashion? Here it seems more like you are preaching to the choir. It seems you might have more of an impact on the way people think about this if you call the Score/ESPN 1000, or even write letters to the editor to be published.

No, the NewsMedia Watch is exclusive to WSI. People from those outlets you mentioned, as well as all of the other media outlets come here and read this stuff as well, so I dont really have to let them know about it. Also brings traffic to the site

SoxFanPrope
04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
No, the NewsMedia Watch is exclusive to WSI. People from those outlets you mentioned, as well as all of the other media outlets come here and read this stuff as well, so I dont really have to let them know about it. Also brings traffic to the site

So what about the people who do not come to this website?? That was more of my point.

SBSoxFan
04-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Also brings traffic to the site
And increases hangar's post count!

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
So what about the people who do not come to this website?? That was more of my point.

Everybody comes to the site

SoxFanPrope
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Everybody comes to the site

::Sighs:: Can I ask how you know this? I mean, do you have actual proof that the editors of the Tribune/Sun-Times read your posts?

But what I really mean is this; There are some people who are not in the media who do not come to this website. These are people who may or may not be influenced by the perceived bias. These people also might read the papers or listen to sports radio. If they do not come to this website, how do they know about any of this?

If the point is the White Sox lose 'on the fence fans' because of the media bias, why would you only choose to expose the bias on a White Sox friendly website?

Uncle_Patrick
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
::Sighs:: Can I ask how you know this? I mean, do you have actual proof that the editors of the Tribune/Sun-Times read your posts?

But what I really mean is this; There are some people who are not in the media who do not come to this website. These are people who may or may not be influenced by the perceived bias. These people also might read the papers or listen to sports radio. If they do not come to this website, how do they know about any of this?

If the point is the White Sox lose 'on the fence fans' because of the media bias, why would you only choose to expose the bias on a White Sox friendly website?

I know that George Knue from chicagosports.com has commented on the Media watch counts at least once in recent weeks when he disagree with one of Hangar's counts.

Hangar18
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM

There are a couple of people from the Trib & SunTimes who come here.
There are also guys from the sports talk radio stations that come here.

SoxFanPrope
04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
There are a couple of people from the Trib & SunTimes who come here.
There are also guys from the sports talk radio stations that come here.

You didn't answer the question about reaching new fans who do not read this webpage though, and really, it does not seem to be getting out to the general public.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Paulbowski:

Depends on your definition. They released Ortiz because he was arbitration eligible. Ryan said they regretted having to do it but they couldn't afford to pay what he might have been awarded.

Lip

Hangar18
04-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Paulbowski:

Depends on your definition. They released Ortiz because he was arbitration eligible. Ryan said they regretted having to do it but they couldn't afford to pay what he might have been awarded.

Lip

Wasnt that the same thing with Derrek Lee? he was due that next season and the shoestring budgeted Marlins were in very dire straits when they "traded" him? Aramis Ramirez also? Juan Pierre?