PDA

View Full Version : Next SS?

Chisox_cali
01-24-2002, 01:11 AM
Found these two on Top Prospect Alert Top 10 list for the Sox could any of these two take over the SS position after Manos/Clayton?

9) Andy Gonzalez, SS, 20yo (n/a)

The White Sox 5th round pick in last June’s draft also falls under the category of interesting. At 6’4" he is tall for SS, but his athleticism may allow him to stay there. He put together a solid debut in the AZL, showing above average skills in most areas. He makes good contact, has some power, can run and plays a decent SS. Like a lot of young players he will need to improve his plate discipline to have continued success. While he is still raw in many areas, it is not unrealistic to envision an upside of .290, 25 HRs, 20 SBs. He will go to full-season A-ball to start 2002 and we’ll have a much better read on him at this time next season.

6) Guillermo Reyes, SS, 20yo (OBA: -0.2, LWP: -1.2, SPD: 1.3, EYE: 1.0)

After excelling in full season A-ball last season, Reyes was somewhat overmatched offensively after receiving a promotion to Hi-A. Given the fact that he was one of the younger players in the league, that comes as little surprise. Reyes is primarily a contact hitter with good plate discipline. He has little in the way of power, but has well above average speed. Defensively he covers tremendous ground and has a good arm. At this stage of his career he needs better defensive consistency. Look for him to return to Hi-A to begin 2002 with a target of AA by mid-season. I don’t expect to see him with a legitimate big league opportunity before late 2003 or 2004. While he probably has an upside of a 25-30 SB major league average SS, I think a safer outlook for him is a backup middle infielder.

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Well the scouts say Andy Gonzalez has all the tools to be the longterm answer at short but we'll have to see how he plays. Reyes doesn't seem to have the well rounded skills required of a starting shortstop. He doesn't drive the ball whatsoever and that's what killed one of my old favorites Jackie Rexrode. So I am gonna be cautious with these guys who struggle to slug .350.

RichH55
01-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Man that weak hitting athletic SS....always a bridesmade never a bride