PDA

View Full Version : Royals may impact 2006 Wild Card

Fenway
04-20-2006, 03:44 PM
In this era of unbalanced schedules the Kansas City Royals may become the key to what team wins the wild card. Right now they are sitting at 2-12 and look dead in the water.

Translation, the White Sox and Indians can really pad their total wins which could tilt the WC to the Central.

Way too early but it is something to watch.

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2006, 03:50 PM
What about TB or Baltimore? I understand what you're saying Fenway but KC has sucked for years... Why would they just now impact the wildcard is what I mean....

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
The excuses are beginning already... :D:

Fenway
04-20-2006, 04:16 PM
The excuses are beginning already... :D:

Yes Tampa and Baltimore are bottom feeders but both should win close to 70 games. Toronto has improved The simple fact is when you play 76 games in the division that is a big part of the total package.

Last year was razor thin and it was only a Cleveland collapse in the final week that let the Red Sox escape with 95 wins.

The Royals could be worse than the Marlins, usually KC is respectable out of the gate before tanking, this year they maybe lucky to win 50.

The Yankees maybe in trouble because Boston will win the East this time, I guarentee it. :tongue:

Iwritecode
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
The Yankees maybe in trouble because Boston will win the East this time, I guarentee it. :tongue:

And the White Sox are going to win the Central, so why are we even having this conversation? Who cares who wins the WC? :D:

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
And the White Sox are going to win the Central, so why are we even having this conversation? Who cares who wins the WC? :D:If it's Toronto, we get them. If it's Cleveland, Boston gets them. :cool:

Of course, both teams would love the opportunity to eliminate Oakland, wouldn't they?

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
We haven't even played 1/10th of the season and we're talking Wild Card??

gbergman
04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
i hope its toronto so we could get them and have the a's play the yankees, that way we wouldn't have to face the team we have no clue in how to beat

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
We haven't even played 1/10th of the season and we're talking Wild Card??

Are you kidding? It's never too early to start whining in NYC or Boston.

I'm expecting ESPN to do an entire one-hour special on this subject. Gammons is probably having heart palpitations even as we speak.

:cool:

Foulke You
04-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes Tampa and Baltimore are bottom feeders but both should win close to 70 games. Toronto has improved The simple fact is when you play 76 games in the division that is a big part of the total package.

Last year was razor thin and it was only a Cleveland collapse in the final week that let the Red Sox escape with 95 wins.

The Royals could be worse than the Marlins, usually KC is respectable out of the gate before tanking, this year they maybe lucky to win 50.
Well, the Royals are looking awful, there is no doubt about that but they will improve a bit when they get some of their injured players back. Right now they are without starters Zack Grienke and Denny Bautista and also without closer Mike MacDougal. Having MacDougal will allow them to use Ambiorix Burgos in more of a setup role which will improve their bullpen. Plus, there is no way Sweeney will be hitting .138 with 1HR for very long so he is bound to heat up. Sooner or later Buddy Bell will also realize that Graffanino is his best option at SS. Will they be a good team? Nope. They are still bad but I still don't think they will be a 50 win team either.

Also, the AL East has the D-Rays to push around despite their improved start. I think the Rays started hot and the Royals started cold, they will even out and both teams are likely to finish with similar records this year.

Fenway
04-20-2006, 04:48 PM

I'm expecting ESPN to do an entire one-hour special on this subject. Gammons is probably having heart palpitations even as we speak.

Bostonians never whine

Actually I have enjoyed this April with no Athens vs Sparta games, but the fun begins on May 1st. I suspect ESPN may cover it.

TDog
04-20-2006, 05:20 PM

Have Boston fans moved on to whining about something else. It wasn't that long ago the whining was about the White Sox not starting their regulars in the final weekend in Cleveland, thus assuring the Tribe a wild card berth. All the Boston whining sounds the same to me.

Tampa Bay and Baltimore rolling over and playing dead last season helped Cleveland miss the postseason despite recording 93 wins. Not that this was a bad thing. It was fun to see the White Sox sweep the wild card Red Sox.

maurice
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
In this era of unbalanced schedules the Kansas City Royals may become the key to what team wins the wild card.
:rolleyes:

The Devil Rays (aka the worst franchise in MLB history) do this every year:
2005 - 67 wins
2004 - 70 wins
2003 - 63 wins
2002 - 55 wins
2001 - 62 wins
2000 - 69 wins
1999 - 69 wins
1998 - 63 wins

They've been around for 8 years, yet they never have won > 70 games.
In the same time frame, their twin (the D'Backs) won the WS and won their division 3 times.

Meanwhile, the Orioles haven't posted a winning record since 1997.

Vernam
04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Way too early but it is something to watch.Never too early to make lame excuses for failing to win a lame Wild Card berth. Kind of like Boston and NY bitching last year before the final regular-season series because the Sox were resting some starters against Cleveland. This year, have some decency and at least wait until we kick your asses before starting to whine. :wink:

Vernam

lumpyspun
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM

This has Bob Ley "outside the lines" written all over it.

dcb56
04-21-2006, 01:19 AM
In this era of unbalanced schedules the Kansas City Royals may become the key to what team wins the wild card. Right now they are sitting at 2-12 and look dead in the water.

Translation, the White Sox and Indians can really pad their total wins which could tilt the WC to the Central.

Not so fast there, Fenway. While the unbalanced schedule has made winning divisional games paramount in qualifying for the postseason, it has also created inexplicable eccentricities in the schedule when it comes to how often non-division, intraleague oppontents play each other. For example, this year the Red Sox and Yankees both play the Royals 9 times, with both teams getting the Royals at home for two 3 game series. Meanwhile, the White Sox play the D-Rays 6 times and the Indians play them 7 times, so it's obvious the scheduling gods have smiled on the Yankees and Red Sox by giving them more games against the Central's worst team than the White Sox and Indians get against the East's bottom feeder. Conspiracy, anyone?

dcb56
04-21-2006, 01:19 AM

Not so fast there, Fenway. While the unbalanced schedule has made winning divisional games paramount for teams that aspire to qualify for the postseason, it has also created inexplicable eccentricities in the schedule when it comes to how often non-division, intraleague oppontents play each other. For example, this year the Red Sox and Yankees both play the Royals 9 times, with both teams getting the Royals at home for two 3 game series. Meanwhile, the White Sox play the D-Rays 6 times and the Indians play them 7 times, so it's obvious the scheduling gods have smiled on the Yankees and Red Sox by giving them more games against the Central's worst team than the White Sox and Indians get against the East's bottom feeder. Conspiracy, anyone?

Fenway
05-26-2006, 10:10 AM
As the White Sox found out the bottom feeders in the East still play tough and can beat you. The Royals right now look like a team that could give the 62 Mets a challenge.

Joe Torre was quoted as saying that he doesn't think the wild card will come from the east this year.

Ewing Kauffman must be spinning in his grave to see what happened to that once proud franchise.

Not so fast there, Fenway. While the unbalanced schedule has made winning divisional games paramount for teams that aspire to qualify for the postseason, it has also created inexplicable eccentricities in the schedule when it comes to how often non-division, intraleague oppontents play each other. For example, this year the Red Sox and Yankees both play the Royals 9 times, with both teams getting the Royals at home for two 3 game series. Meanwhile, the White Sox play the D-Rays 6 times and the Indians play them 7 times, so it's obvious the scheduling gods have smiled on the Yankees and Red Sox by giving them more games against the Central's worst team than the White Sox and Indians get against the East's bottom feeder. Conspiracy, anyone?