PDA

View Full Version : Less Than SoSo Offseason

Notsososox
01-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Painful and very boring to watch other teams strengthen themselves while sox mostly wait for youth to mature and injuries to heal.

That said several encouraging signs for 2002:

No arbitration cases and it's Franks year off from self destruction (He seems to alternate between putting up great numbers and than stumbling over his own tongue, hopefully age has not quite caught up with the big guy)

The team seems to be going into spring training more focused on baseball.

Much inaction has been caused by needing more time to evaluate some crowded positions (corner fielders / 1B-DH / pitching prospects) and bad contracts to end(Alomar / Clayton)

The team can win the divison and position itself for real contenderhood in 2003 by:

Outfield
Borchard will arrive in 2002 and it will be revealed that he will become an outstanding corner fielder but inadequate as a CF.
That means Lee, Liefer, Rowand, and the forgotten Valensula have a year to win the fouth position, move to DH or get traded for anything up the middle.

DH
If Frank is over the hill, it may be well that Lee has not been traded. Time will tell.

Infield
Durham may have a banner year playing for his next contract. Go for it Ray Ray. Hummel's continued development provides flexibilty and a likely #2 batter making a lead off CF or SS even more necessary.

Thank goodness by the end of the year Clayton will have been traded or will become a free agent. While Jose may not be the final answer he buys the team one year to find a better solution unless of course Crede does not deliver.

Konerko still ascending with Liefer, Lee, and Thomas providing depth. Graff adequate in reserve. While Valentin & Graff would make the bench very strong.

C
Last call for Alomar. Hope he goes out with a bang. He is a class act on the downhill side and KW has added prospect depth behind the respectable back up back ups Johnson & Paul. Pray now that Oliva, Evans, or Humberto take it several notches higher.

P
Lots of choices. Wisdom of Solomon as to who will make it big, who will make it, and who we will become obscure trivia material.
KW also has worked hard to build the inventory of lefties in the system.

Yet to determine if the coaching in the bigs is as consistent as the scouting and development of pitchers.

Prediction that the sox will win the Central in 02 and go down nearly as quickly as in 00. The 03 team described below will contend beyond the division:

_______ CF to be determined
Valetin SS
Ordonez LF
Thomas DH
Konerko 1B
Borchard RF
Hummel 2B
Crede 3B
Oliva C

Starters
Burly
Rauch
Malone
Richie
Garland

Relief
Wright
Glover
Howry
Guerrier
Ulacia
____leftie
Foulke

Bench
Rowand OF
Graf Inf
M Johnson C
Liefer

Daver
01-23-2002, 11:56 PM
How do you call Frank Thomas over the hill at 33 years old?

Sorry I have a problem with that logic.

I will be very surprised if Joe Borchard makes it north out of ST without someone being moved,and he can play CF.

And the sooner Buddy Lee is gone the better,IMHO.

Huisj
01-23-2002, 11:59 PM
I think it may be a bit wishful to assume that all the pitching prospects will be ready to be good by 2003. Some will make it, some will make it but not right away, and some will not. That's just the way it is. I would love to see it work that way, but I highly doubt they will all make it big by 2003.

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by daver
How do you call Frank Thomas over the hill at 33 years old?

Sorry I have a problem with that logic.

I will be very surprised if Joe Borchard makes it north out of ST without someone being moved,and he can play CF.

And the sooner Buddy Lee is gone the better,IMHO.

Some guys are over the hill at 33 but Frank is too damn good to be. I really think Borchard might be our centerfielder out of spring, but that might be more wishful thinking than what I actually should expect.