PDA

View Full Version : Expos vs Marlins at USCF

0o0o0
04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't know what made me think of this, but was anyone at this game a couple years ago? And if so, was it as weird as it seems it would be? Did they still have all the usual Sox stuff on the scoreboard between innings? Were there any actual Marlin or Expo fans there? Should I stop asking questions?

downstairs
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I found this (not my site or anything):

http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002137.shtml

I believe a lot of people were cheering for FLA because they were in the WC hunt against the Flubs.

ewokpelts
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
The marlins flew in thier P/A and scoreboard crews and they used thier player intro tapes.

There were'nt that many people there, but the sox fans rooted for the marlins, and the cubs fans rooted for the 'spos.
There were a few marlin fans there, since the marlins were at wrigley the day before.
Loria and Reinsdorf sat together behind home plate.

Gene

Jerko
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
If you do a search for EXPOS, go to the 10th page of results and there's about 4 or 5 threads on it there.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
I wished I could have gone. They drew 7,500 for the last game if I recall. The buzz was going strong by then.

I'd actually like to see more games in non-home market areas, but not for the reason they had to play these (hurricane strikes forced the Marlins to play on the road).

Meixner007
04-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I was there. I took my mom for her bday. I think tix were $15, General Admission. From what I remember it was a beautiful day for baseball. As a previous poster stated the Sox fans and a few Marlin fans sat behind the Marlin's third base dugout, while the Cubs and Expos sat behind the first base dugout. Everybody was pretty into the game and the players and coaches (OZ) were talking to the people in the stands. After the game I remember Jack McKeon clapping and thanking everyone behind the third base dugout.

HomeFish
04-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I was at both games.

There was general seating, which means that if you got there early enough you could get first row behind home plate (whch I did the second game) and that people sat behind the dugout of the team they were cheering for. All the Cub fans sat behind the Expos dugout, all the Sox and Marlins fans sat behind the Marlins dugout. Autographs were really easy to get. I got Billy the Marlin.

There was a bizarre mix of Marlins and Sox stuff on the scoreboard. They had Marlin animations, they had Marlin scoreboard races, etc. But there they did Konerko's "PAUL-EEE" stuff when Paul Do Luca came to the plate, and Southpaw and Billy the Marlin performed together before the game. When the Marlins hit a homerun, the scoreboard lit up, but there were no fireworks.

Billy the Marlin is hardcore, by the way. He paraded during the second game on top of the Marlin dugout with a stuffed Youppi on a rope.

TDog
04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I wasn's there, being three time zones away. But a Cubs fan told in my office told me the Tribune said the Marlins were more the biggest reason to get excited about baseball at the Cell in 2004. He laughed.

I told him the Marlins were the biggest reason to get excited about baseball in Wrigley the previous October.

daveeym
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I was at both games.

There was general seating, which means that if you got there early enough you could get first row behind home plate (whch I did the second game) and that people sat behind the dugout of the team they were cheering for. All the Cub fans sat behind the Expos dugout, all the Sox and Marlins fans sat behind the Marlins dugout. Autographs were really easy to get. I got Billy the Marlin.

There was a bizarre mix of Marlins and Sox stuff on the scoreboard. They had Marlin animations, they had Marlin scoreboard races, etc. But there they did Konerko's "PAUL-EEE" stuff when Paul Do Luca came to the plate, and Southpaw and Billy the Marlin performed together before the game. When the Marlins hit a homerun, the scoreboard lit up, but there were no fireworks.

Billy the Marlin is hardcore, by the way. He paraded during the second game on top of the Marlin dugout with a stuffed Youppi on a rope. Uhm, I think homefish is a "furry." He seems to get way too excited for the mascots. First getting denied a hug by Southpaw and now this.:wired:

Foulke You
04-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I wasn's there, being three time zones away. But a Cubs fan told in my office told me the Tribune said the Marlins were more the biggest reason to get excited about baseball at the Cell in 2004. He laughed.

I told him the Marlins were the biggest reason to get excited about baseball in Wrigley the previous October.
And we also know how exciting it was for Cub fans to watch their team choke away a Wild Card lead in September.:cool:

DeadMoney
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I was at the 2nd game, but don't remember much about it. All I remember was that they had the Marlins WS logos on the scoreboard and it also lit up when they hit a HR.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I don't know what made me think of this, but was anyone at this game a couple years ago? And if so, was it as weird as it seems it would be? Did they still have all the usual Sox stuff on the scoreboard between innings? Were there any actual Marlin or Expo fans there? Should I stop asking questions?

I was at both games. Admission went to charity (IIRC the hurricane relief fund for Florida which was the reason for playing the games here in the first place).

I sat behind the Expos "away dugout" because the Expos have always been one of my favorite teams. There were several Canadian fans on hand and I had a blast discussing Expos baseball with the few people in Chicago knowledgeable about Expos baseball. There were some flub fans on hand as well but most of the crowd were for the Marlins / were White Sox fans there just to root against the Cubs (who were not playing).

Sure the Marlins could beat out the Cubs for the Wild Card but then again what would they do with their playoff spot? :cool:

Baseball is baseball and I'd go to a game (or two) everyday if I had the chance (and watch any MLB team as well as many college teams).