PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 4-23 Mini-Stadium Giveaway Question

WhiffleBall
04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know of or have a picture of the mini-stadium being given away this Sunday? It's sponsered by the Sun-Times and they have a pic at their website of their own stadium giveaway/promotion:

http://www.suntimes.com/service/miniball.html

I'm guessing the Sunday Paper stadium is made of cardboard/heavy paper stock because they are putting one in all their home delivered papers this Sunday. If the ballpark giveaway is a decent quality replica of US Cellular then it may be worth getting their 2 hours early. If it's the same as the Sun Times Sunday paper stadium then I won't worry about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BainesHOF
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm sure it's the same one.

lizard6king6
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Yep, same one. Thats what im guessing.

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
At first I thought it was a nice replica by the description, but then I saw the commercial, it's the same one (which will be free in Sunday's paper). I'm not 100% positive, but from the description and commercial, I think it is. I guess it's used to hold baseballs or something else they'll be giving out in the future

Tekijawa
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM

I might come 15 minute late then!

ewokpelts
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Yep. One and the same.

They duped you into buying tickets thinking it was a nicer item.
gene

Harry Potter
04-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Yep its the same (cardboard stock)

And as far as the mini-baseballs, it will be the same as the Bears Medallions the Sun-Times sponsored in the past, where you have to go to a 7-11/Walgreens/White Hen, etc each day and purchase that days item for a few bucks.

salty99
04-20-2006, 01:33 PM
the mini baseballs are 2.99 if you have the coupon in the Sun-times everyday.
not sure what it would be if you don't have the coupon.

Jaffar
04-20-2006, 01:42 PM
So I'm going to have to go to white hen 21 days in a row....crap

infohawk
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Who are the "participating retailers?" Do we know yet?

ewokpelts
04-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Who are the "participating retailers?" Do we know yet?
7-11
speedway
white hen
walgreens

Realist
04-20-2006, 05:16 PM
So I'm going to have to go to white hen 21 days in a row....crap

Get the chilli. It's really good.

Brian26
04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
the mini baseballs are 2.99 if you have the coupon in the Sun-times everyday.
not sure what it would be if you don't have the coupon.

So someone's going to have to spend $63 to buy all of the balls to complete this silly little thing that's not even really a collectible. I'd say save your money and buy a nice set of baseball cards or a World Series plaque.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd wait until the give away is over, then just subscribe to the Sun-Times when they give the set away. They did that with the Bears medallions last year.

Unless there's certain players you'd want doubles of.

salty99
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
So someone's going to have to spend $63 to buy all of the balls to complete this silly little thing that's not even really a collectible. I'd say save your money and buy a nice set of baseball cards or a World Series plaque.

don't forget tax and the cost of the newspaper :redneck

Jaffar
04-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I'll base it on what it looks like Sunday and go from there. I have a really hard time passing up anything White Sox. I was ready to take out a 2nd mortgage the last couple years at soxfest and the garage sales..........

WagMan
04-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Since I work for a company selling the collectible mini-baseballs and have already seen them, I say they're definitely gonna be worth the $$$. They are much better than the Bears coins that were sold previously. So, if you collect all things White Sox, this is a must to add to your collection.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
when does the Suntimes promo start?

Joosh
04-22-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure I completely understand. Do the stadiums come packaged with the sunday paper or do you have to get them seperate? If so, I may just run to Walgreens sunday morning to get one and see what it's like. I may just keep the stadium as a collectible. Its pretty cool looking.

Chicago
04-22-2006, 02:16 AM
when does the Suntimes promo start?

Sunday (http://www.suntimes.com/service/miniball.html)

jenmcm76
04-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I stopped by a Walgreen's in Champaign (Mattis & Springfield) today looking for the mini-stadium, and they had NO idea what I was talking about. I showed them the Sunday paper that had the ad on the front page for it, but nope.... I would've bought the paper, but it said it's only included inside the Sunday paper for home subscribers. If you buy it off the newsstand, it's apparently not included.

Anyway, has anyone in Chambana gotten a hold of one of these yet, or do you know where the baseballs will be sold? Please reply or send me a PM if you do - thanks!

South Side Irish
04-23-2006, 04:33 PM
So after figuring out that I had to physically go pick it up from Walgreen's (not a home subscriber), I finally got it.

The stadium's pretty neat... it's heavy cardstock, but laminated. It almost feels like plastic, actually. Now, you've got to buy the balls (hehe!), but I don't know if I'm going to pay for all of them. I'll probably just buy like Mark or Crede and Paulie and so forth. I just hope they have one of Man Soo Lee. I'm looking forward to seeing how nice they look.

shbart
04-23-2006, 07:34 PM
It's kind of interesting that they're calling it a World Championship piece of memorabilia, but they're giving out the 2006 team....hmmm, maybe they know something :wink:

Brian26
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
So after figuring out that I had to physically go pick it up from Walgreen's (not a home subscriber), I finally got it.

The stadium's pretty neat... it's heavy cardstock, but laminated.

I'm not sure if it's really heavy cardstock, but it seemed sort of flimsy. I didn't even take one at the turnstile.

soxwon
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
its a ripoff- you have to pay $3 a day at walgreens to purchase the mini balls.

BainesHOF
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't assume that the Sun-Times will someday offer the balls free to subscribers. The postage would be greater than mailing the Bears coins, and I think some of the balls like Konerko and Buehrle may be "sold out" after the promotion.

LuvSox
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I got my mini stadium thing with the morning paper. I'm leaving it in the original wrapper for a souvenir. Am I buying each medallion? Hell no. $3.49 a day for 17 days, no way. I won't renew my Sunday only subscription when it's up in May and see what deals they have later.

HotelWhiteSox
04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
That didn't take long http://cgi.ebay.com/CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-US-CELLULAR-FIELD-MINI-STADIUM-SGA_W0QQitemZ8800737211QQcategoryZ37592QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JB98
04-24-2006, 12:48 AM
its a ripoff- you have to pay $3 a day at walgreens to purchase the mini balls.

I agree. You have to have the damn coupon from the Cub-Times for it to be only $3 too. I'm not going to buy the paper and go to Walgreens every day for this. I thought the "replica" of the stadium was pretty lame ass. A piece of cardboard held together by tabs. The panoramic picture of the Cell I have on my wall is much nicer, as is my photo of the old Comiskey Park.

HomeFish
04-24-2006, 01:06 AM
I gave it to the kid sitting next to me, who wasn't one of the first 25,000 in the park and didn't get one. I told him that I wanted it to go to a good home, but I couldn't give it one, and I trusted that he would.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Oddly enough, I've had one for several days now. A bunch of the other professors went up to the Twins game last week, when they were doing the same promo. All of them got cardboard Metrodomes except one, who for whatever reason (a packing error, I'm guessing) was given a U.S. Cellular Field. He brought it to work and gave it to me. I haven't opened the shrink wrap yet, and just might not. Keep it packed that way for a souvenir.

Scottiehaswheels
04-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Interesting.... Did all/many of the teams in MLB have this sort of offer do you think? Guess I'm just wondering if its an MLB type promotion vs. individual team promotions? I'm just wondering if perhaps MLB is seeing a decline in attendence/popularity with the whole steroids issue and is using this as a way to drum up interest.

koch44
04-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Here is the scheduled release dates.

ewokpelts
04-24-2006, 10:51 AM
this and the bears promo suck if you bought a suntimes subscription BEFORE either promo.....they do NOT give you a set if you are a current customer....
Gene

Crede_Fan
04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
this and the bears promo suck if you bought a suntimes subscription BEFORE either promo.....they do NOT give you a set if you are a current customer....
Gene

Ok one quick questions then, if I order a subscription now will I get it?

Hangar18
04-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Oddly enough, I've had one for several days now. A bunch of the other professors went up to the Twins game last week, when they were doing the same promo. All of them got cardboard Metrodomes

Was there a Roof with the cardboard mini-metrodomes? :cool:

Joosh
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
If anybody has an extra that they don't want, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm looking to get one, and I'll gladly pay for postage.

Crede_Fan
04-24-2006, 08:10 PM
If anybody has an extra that they don't want, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm looking to get one, and I'll gladly pay for postage.

Are you looking for the staduim? If so check at your local 7-11 or Citgo gas station. The one here in Romeoville has a bunch left. Also they are letting you buy the whole set of balls. Its like $63 for all 21.

Joosh
04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
No luck. The few places that had them around here are out of them.

BainesHOF
04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Anyone know anywhere around Naperville where you can buy the whole set? The Walgreen's where I bought the Buehrle ball today only had a handful of Buehrle balls left and no sign of any others.

Sad
04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Are you looking for the staduim? If so check at your local 7-11 or Citgo gas station. The one here in Romeoville has a bunch left. Also they are letting you buy the whole set of balls. Its like $63 for all 21.

that'd be nice...
I was at that game & got the "stadium" but I doubt the Michigan circulation version of the Sun Times has the mini-balls...
gave it to a guy I work with that lives in the city

Frontman
04-25-2006, 07:17 AM
I drove to 6 different places yesterday, all sold out.

:

Meh, saves me from buying more, I guess.

Front