PDA

View Full Version : Casey Rogowski

RichH55
01-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Where did this guy come from? Only 20 but Baseball Weekly has him as our 6th best guy and hes large for 20 at 6'3 230...and apparently fell due to the fact they thought he was going to be a Football star....."But He's learning to all pitches in all locations and that should translate into power potential. He quickly could become the top offensive player in the system ."

And that is after they said Borchard was going to be a big-time power hitter, so they must think highly of Rogowski...Good news...and a legitimate 20...none of this latin player conversion chart stuff...

bjmarte
01-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Where did this guy come from? Only 20 but Baseball Weekly has him as our 6th best guy and hes large for 20 at 6'3 230...and apparently fell due to the fact they thought he was going to be a Football star....."But He's learning to all pitches in all locations and that should translate into power potential. He quickly could become the top offensive player in the system ."

And that is after they said Borchard was going to be a big-time power hitter, so they must think highly of Rogowski...Good news...and a legitimate 20...none of this latin player conversion chart stuff...

What is the exchange rate on the ages for latin players? It's not up to dog years yet is it?

Huisj
01-24-2002, 12:07 AM
I saw him in action two years back at the baseball finals in Michigan when he played for Detroit Catholic Central. He was huge, and I mean built like a truck. But he had some bit of polish to his game and a rather controlled swing (at least in that game) which I thought was suprising for a big high schooler. Anyways, when I heard later that month that the sox had drafted him, I was excited, just because I had seen him play before I guess, and I hoped he'd make it. He got no attention when he hit for decent average in rookie ball that summer, and then last year he hit for pretty good average again with a bit of power at A ball. I would be excited to see him make it, but the problem is that he is another first baseman, which we certainly need more of haha.

I seem to remember him being left handed. does anyone know if i'm right about that? i could be mixing him up with another huge guy that was on that team I saw.

RichH55
01-24-2002, 12:09 AM
Yep a Leftie

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 12:31 AM
He's an interesting prospect, next year is gonna tell us a lot about him. This year he was repeating low A ball, he showed good patience, contact and bat control. He doesn't have raw power you look for in a first baseman but if he could learn to use his truck of a body he'd really be dangerous. He has youth on his side but since he was repeating the level I want to see what he does next year in high A ball and hopefully AA. He is a good athlete and runs well for a big guy, he reached double digits in stolen bases. Being a big guy athletic guy who has a good approach at the plate (especially for a 20 eyar old) I'd say he's a B- prospect right now with a lot of potential for improvement.

Randar68
01-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Rogowski has a very controlled and fluid swing. He didn't get much notice until about halfway through last season. IN the second half, he tailed off quite a bit, but for most of the year he was among league leaders in OBP and OPS. He has a ton of potential, and some of you may remember me talking about him quite a bit as a sleeper through the early part of last season.

He's a minimum of 6'3", btw...

He has great plate coverage and was the best defensive firstbaseman in all of A-ball, IMO...mobile, light on his feet, and moves well to both sides...very good baserunner and good speed for a big man....

Randar68
01-24-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Being a big guy athletic guy who has a good approach at the plate (especially for a 20 eyar old) I'd say he's a B- prospect right now with a lot of potential for improvement.

Man, that's all your giving him? OK......

I think you are drastically underrating his ability...

Huisj
01-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Remember though that the grading scale of baseball prospects hasn't changed with the inflation of academic grades. In baseball getting a B or B- is still pretty good, but in the world of school everyone wants A's in order to be considered good, and teachers like to give them a lot more too. I don't know where I'm going with this at all, that just always seems to pop into my head when I see prospect grades.

The thing I wonder is why can't "prospects" get D's or F's? I mean, if a guy totally sucks and has no chance whatsoever, would he get a D or F?

Daver
01-24-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
Remember though that the grading scale of baseball prospects hasn't changed with the inflation of academic grades. In baseball getting a B or B- is still pretty good, but in the world of school everyone wants A's in order to be considered good, and teachers like to give them a lot more too. I don't know where I'm going with this at all, that just always seems to pop into my head when I see prospect grades.

The thing I wonder is why can't "prospects" get D's or F's? I mean, if a guy totally sucks and has no chance whatsoever, would he get a D or F?

I did get an F,that's why I'm not playing baseball.

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Huisj

The D's and F's are the guys who are essentially spacefillers in the minors. You don't hear about them because no one thinks they are worth writing up.

As for my grade of Rogowski, sure he's got a lot of potential but it takes a lot to be a major league first baseman. He's a long way from the majors and it's not like he's been *outstanding*. I tend to think of grade like an A means I expect a major league star, a B major league regular. Right now Rogowski hasn't shown enough to make em confidence he'll be a major league regular but I'm optimistic and he has potential so he's a B-.

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 01:37 AM
An example of a guy who I'd give a D: Edwin Almonte.