PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop the A-Row man-love?

FedEx227
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Now I'm as big of an A-Row fan as anybody, I own the mans jersey and still wear it on a regular basis, including when I play baseball. He was my favorite player on the White Sox last year and remains my favorite...

But I'm just getting sick of everybody putting him on this gigantic pedistal right now since Brian Anderson isn't batting .398. I had this AIM conversation with my friend earlier where he mentioned the best trade the Sox could ever make was Jon Garland + Brian Anderson for Aaron Rowand. I disagreed, of course, citing the fact we need the pitching depth, and Rowand serves no purpose right because we have young guys ready to come up and make an impression IF BA doesn't adjust. etc...
Just like to know what you guys think of this whole situation.

Some of the highlights was him saying,
Him: i miss the dives
Him: total disregard to his own health
Me: that was like 3 times that he had no regard... and dives don't make a great centerfielder.
Him: thats cause he was good enough that he didnt even need to dive

I was also unaware that Aaron Rowand was god?

MUsoxfan
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Rowand was a fan-favorite and my favorite player. I will miss him until he returns to the Southside. Rookies will always have comparisons to those they replaced. Until he finds himself as a player up here at "the show", the comparisons will continue.

spiffie
04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I loved Rowand last year. I miss him. If you offered me a trade right now of Rowand for Anderson I would take it because I think Rowand would be more helpful to the 2006 White Sox than Anderson will end up being, and I don't like leaving a hole in the lineup during this window of opportunity.

That said, anyone who suggests without tongue surgically implanted in cheek that Anderson/Garland for Rowand is a good idea needs to have some sort of drug testing done on them pronto.

HomeFish
04-19-2006, 11:46 PM
WSI goes full circle

2003: Rowand Takes Bad Routes
2004 - 2005: Rowand is a God Among Men
2006: Rowand Took Bad Routes

MUsoxfan
04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
WSI goes full circle

2004 - 2005: Rowand is a God Among Men

HomeFish goes straight-line

2004-2005: Rowand Takes Bad Routes

:tongue:

PKalltheway
04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Rowand was good, and I'll miss him. You gotta think though, if we didn't trade Rowand, we wouldn't have Thome and the monster start he's off to. We wouldn't have the best one-two punch in baseball so far with Thome and Konerko. :cool:

richb2
04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Please I liked Rowand but he was no God and if he came back to the sox way down the road I would be happy , but please he was an average ballplayer. Give Anderson a break this kid will be a good if not a very good player for a long time--good grief he has only played ten or so games this year. what did you expect out there for the first ten games mickey mantle out there or willie mays? Give him time and he will be ok-------Remeber ventura for starters?

MERPER
04-20-2006, 01:12 AM
I miss Aaron, but this trade was a stroke of genius... a true no-brainer... BRIAN ANDERSON WILL BE A VERY GOOD ML PLAYER! But just for fun.. here is a better Aaron Rowand timeline:

2003: People barely know of Aaron and are upset when he is in the lineup... I was once at a game he came out to sign autographs and people declined... Has game-tying HR against Cubs (in a game D'Angelo Jimenez won with a single) and his legend begins

2004: In a year that was lost to injuries with Maggs and Frank after sniffing first place in mid-summer, Aaron goes on complete tear and shows promise...

2005: STARTING CF ON WORLD SERIES CHAMPS... enough said

For the future of this organization, the Thome-for-Rowand trade was a no-brainer, PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ANDERSON!... Look at it this way, he's not hitting (niether is R. Mack) and we look terrific on offense..... once he gets going, :bandance: :dtroll: :bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
04-20-2006, 01:35 AM
You do realize we got Jim Thome out of the trade, right?

Fuller_Schettman
04-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Clearly, Aaron Rowand typified the "Grinder" mentality. Hell, you could say he defined it. And now that he is gone, so is the Grinder mystique. Yeah, you could throw Crede and AJ in the Grinder pool, but it really isn't the same. Especially since AJ wears The Instigator moniker (like it or not) and Crede is on the cusp of becoming the next Eric Chavez.

Grinder, we hardly knew ye...

SOXintheBURGH
04-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Clearly, Aaron Rowand typified the "Grinder" mentality. Hell, you could say he defined it. And now that he is gone, so is the Grinder mystique. Yeah, you could throw Crede and AJ in the Grinder pool, but it really isn't the same. Especially since AJ wears The Instigator moniker (like it or not) and Crede is on the cusp of becoming the next Eric Chavez.

Grinder, we hardly knew ye...

Don't forget:

:reinsy

"Mattingly, shave those sideburns!"

Steelrod
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Now I'm as big of an A-Row fan as anybody, I own the mans jersey and still wear it on a regular basis, including when I play baseball. He was my favorite player on the White Sox last year and remains my favorite...

But I'm just getting sick of everybody putting him on this gigantic pedistal right now since Brian Anderson isn't batting .398. I had this AIM conversation with my friend earlier where he mentioned the best trade the Sox could ever make was Jon Garland + Brian Anderson for Aaron Rowand. I disagreed, of course, citing the fact we need the pitching depth, and Rowand serves no purpose right because we have young guys ready to come up and make an impression IF BA doesn't adjust. etc...
Just like to know what you guys think of this whole situation.

Some of the highlights was him saying,
Him: i miss the dives
Him: total disregard to his own health
Me: that was like 3 times that he had no regard... and dives don't make a great centerfielder.
Him: thats cause he was good enough that he didnt even need to dive

I was also unaware that Aaron Rowand was god?
Didn't know that we needed your permission to have an opinion. I liked the trade a lot, but reserve the right to talk about whom I choose. I would suggest that if you don't approve of a topic, ignore the thread!

WhiteSoxFan5644
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Didn't know that we needed your permission to have an opinion. I liked the trade a lot, but reserve the right to talk about whom I choose. I would suggest that if you don't approve of a topic, ignore the thread!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :bandance:

Norberto7
04-20-2006, 08:18 AM
I would suggest that if you don't approve of a topic, ignore the thread!

Uh, he started the thread...:tongue:

jenn2080
04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Thome...Thats all I have to say.

I loved Aaron but he wasnt exactly a God in center. He brought good energy to the team.

MsSoxVixen22
04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I loved Rowand and was extremely sad to see him go. But seeing the kind of player Thome is has eased the pain abit. I'm not completely sold on Anderson but I think he'll come around...at least i hope he will.

ws05champs
04-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Rowand serves no purpose right because we have young guys ready to come up and make an impression

That's the key. The Sox are confident enough of BA, and in order to make the trade for Thome we had to give up Aaron. You have to give players in the farm system a chance too. We miss Aaron's personality but BA has a likable personality also. I think once Anderson begins hitting the ball - and he will - we will begin to not think about Rowand so much.

CLR01
04-20-2006, 10:14 AM

Wait so you are allowed to have an opinion but he is not?

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
My love will burn forever! Not just for Rowand, but also for The Big Hurt. I have the MLB Extra Innings package and have been tuning into the late Oakland games whenever possible, just to see Frank play. Also, I watched the Phils-Gnats game last night just to see Rowand play. I like catching the updates that people post here. These guys are special because they were part of a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. Magglio is dead to me. Carlos Lee is dead to me. Olivo and Reed are dead to me. Thomas and Rowand (as well as Everett, Blum, etc.) will always have a place in my heart because they were part of the 2005 World Champion White Sox. :bandance:

spiffie
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Thome...Thats all I have to say.

I loved Aaron but he wasnt exactly a God in center. He brought good energy to the team.
No rational person is saying "gee, I wish we hadn't made this trade." Lots of folks miss Aaron, myself included. Some folks think that BA is going to do more harm than good for the team this year and wish that we had a second Aaron Rowand so that we could have made the Thome trade but still kept a Rowand in CF. But no one seems to say "if only we could do it all over we'd never make the trade." It's apples and oranges. I love Thome and I miss Rowand. They can't be reconciled, but they are both true.

wdelaney72
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
It seems like only yesterday Rowand was referred to as "AAAron Rowand" on these boards.

Philly can have his .270 avg, 13 HR 69 RBI. We now have Thome and a guy in Anderson who can match his productivity... offensively and defensively. He was an enjoyable player and seemed like a really great guy, but I agree, let's move on.

FedEx227
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
That's the key. The Sox are confident enough of BA, and in order to make the trade for Thome we had to give up Aaron. You have to give players in the farm system a chance too. We miss Aaron's personality but BA has a likable personality also. I think once Anderson begins hitting the ball - and he will - we will begin to not think about Rowand so much.

Thats the thing that got me. Yes BA is struggling a bit now, but even if he does a titanic tank-job we have Jerry Owens who can take is spot. I think it was best for Rowand to move on, because he doesn't want to be a guy whos just holding a spot until minor leaguers are ready. Now hes secure and we're secure.

I would suggest that if you don't approve of a topic, ignore the thread!

Despite the fact.... I started the thread?! :rolleyes:

Randar68
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM

I like to think my review has been as follows:

2003: Rowand Takes Bad Routes, doesn't know where the wall is, has the most inaccurate arm in the AL, and has crap instincts, corner OF'er playing CF out of desperation
2004: Rowand Takes Bad Routes, still has an inaccurate arm, has poor instincts, and is a corner OF'er playing CF out of need
2005: Rowand Takes Bad Routes, has poor instincts, improved but still mediocre throwing accuracy, and overall a mediocre CF'er.

I think I've been about as fair and consistent as possible. The man-love came about when Rowand hit .300 after running into a few walls. Next thing you knew he was the reincarnation of Willie Mays to some Kool-aid drinkers.

I cite "Core of the Core Night" from last year where Aaron Rowand took horrible routes to several balls and circled the wagons on another ball allowing a single to be parlayed into a double... Needless to say, I was there to point it out to all the blinder-wearing folks in attendance...

chisoxmike
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Jim Thome

Steelrod
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Wait so you are allowed to have an opinion but he is not?
You, of course are missing the point. His opinion is that others shouldn't discuss something..that doesn't interest him. My opinion was for him to read what interests him!

hold2dibber
04-20-2006, 12:49 PM
You, of course are missing the point. His opinion is that others shouldn't discuss something..that doesn't interest him. My opinion was for him to read what interests him!

He started the thread for Pete's sake - it has nothing to do with "reading what interests him." Plus, "his opinion is that others shouldn't discuss something" was NOT the point of the thread. It was his assesment that some people, and in particular the individual referenced in the 1st post, had an unreasonable and inflated view of Rowand as a player. He said absolutely nothing about people not discussing anything. I think you need to re-read the 1st post.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
HomeFish goes straight-line

:tongue:

Nice.

I never said peep about his "routes." It's not like the guy was running around in circles while the ball was landing on his head. He caught the ball. Then he threw the ball.

I will never stop the man-love.

Sox of White
04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
My love will burn forever! Not just for Rowand, but also for The Big Hurt. I have the MLB Extra Innings package and have been tuning into the late Oakland games whenever possible, just to see Frank play. Also, I watched the Phils-Gnats game last night just to see Rowand play. I like catching the updates that people post here. These guys are special because they were part of a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. Magglio is dead to me. Carlos Lee is dead to me. Olivo and Reed are dead to me. Thomas and Rowand (as well as Everett, Blum, etc.) will always have a place in my heart because they were part of the 2005 World Champion White Sox. :bandance:

Well put, anyone who was part of a championship team is going to have a different place in the eyes of fans.

Epark84
04-20-2006, 01:09 PM
He played hard and seemed to love being on the team. That is all well and good. But he wasnt all that good. Its not like we gave up willie mays. I will always remember him, he was an integral part of the title. But the sox got thome for him. Im sorry but on his best day rowand isnt half the player thome is. Lets see what anderson can do for more than 3 weeks. If he cant get it done, KW will out and get someone. Wish rowand the best in philly and move on.

soxinem1
04-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Trashing Anderson after 15 games is not fair. He has played a great CF (making it look easy at times too) and can be carried in this lineup. I remember Aaron needing three years to make the line up so everyone should just get off Anderson's back.

I don't see anyone complaining about Uribe and his same type of production.

Anderson will hit, he needs at least 50 games before judgements are made.

Players come and go, esp. with the White Sox, longetivity is/has never been an organizational constant. This will not change with KW at the helm.

I felt bad when Baines and others (incl. Big Frank) went, but it is more productive to support the current team instead of complaining about the replacements.

ode to veeck
04-20-2006, 01:33 PM
My favorite A-Row play of all time is the video of him watching from the dugout rail with Blum as Pods hits his walk-off playoff HR: "no way ... No Way ... NO WAY .... YAHHHHAHAHGAJGKKAAAAAA!!!

I think it's our favorite replay from the playoffs by far, friggin' hilarious.

maurice
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I like to think my review has been as follows: . . .

That's just his defense. Overall, it was more like . . .
2001: Rowand was a wasted draft pick
2002: Rowand is a AAAA player, who shouldn't play in MLB
2003: Rowand's ceiling is a 4th OF, who shouldn't start in MLB
2004: Rowand is not a starting CF on a championship team
2005: Sox win World Series with Rowand starting in CF
:cool:

CLR01
04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
My favorite A-Row play of all time is the video of him watching from the dugout rail with Blum as Pods hits his walk-off playoff HR: "no way ... No Way ... NO WAY .... YAHHHHAHAHGAJGKKAAAAAA!!!

I think it's our favorite replay from the playoffs by far, friggin' hilarious.

I believe he was next to Anderson.

Randar68
04-20-2006, 02:46 PM
That's just his defense. Overall, it was more like . . .
2001: Rowand was a wasted draft pick
2002: Rowand is a AAAA player, who shouldn't play in MLB
2003: Rowand's ceiling is a 4th OF, who shouldn't start in MLB
2004: Rowand is not a starting CF on a championship team
2005: Sox win World Series with Rowand starting in CF

Well, that may be true... lol. But, aside from his one year at the plate, what has he done at the plate? Not a whole hell of a lot.

Never said wasted draft pick, though, the rest is pretty close.

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
I believe he was next to Anderson.
Correct. Anderson still had the big Blum hairstyle at the time.

Uncle_Patrick
04-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Correct. Anderson still had the big Blum hairstyle at the time.

All blonds look alike anyway:tongue:

1951Campbell
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Despite the fact.... I started the thread?! :rolleyes:

A-Row would have come up with a better thread title. :wink:

TaylorStSox
04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Rowand sucks. If there were any 2 grinders on last year's team, they were Uribe and Uguchi.

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Rowand sucks. If there were any 2 grinders on last year's team, they were Uribe and Uguchi.
Uguchi? Is that like the time on Star Trek Voyager when Tuvok and Neelix had their genetic structures spliced together to create a new alien named Tuvix?

TaylorStSox
04-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Uguchi? Is that like the time on Star Trek Voyager when Tuvok and Neelix had their genetic structures spliced together to create a new alien named Tuvix?

lol. Nice catch. :redface:

Anyway, my point stands. Iguchi and Uribe did so much more for this team, offensively and defensively, and don't get near the man love that Chief No Bunt gets. I find it annoying.

Randar68
04-20-2006, 04:58 PM
don't get near the man love that Chief No Bunt gets

*****!

HAHAHAHAHA!

thomas35forever
04-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Rowand was great last year. And who could forget his encounter with Lucifer in the Win or Die Trying commercial? Classic stuff.

Corlose 15
04-20-2006, 05:21 PM

:?:

NERRRRD!

DumpJerry
04-20-2006, 05:43 PM
People, let's give it a rest already! Yes, we won the World Series with Rowand in CF. However, that is not the SOLE reason why we got there and won it. We can say the same about any of the other guys who are no longer with the team this year ("We won the World Series with Timo Perez coming off the bench. We won the World Series with Willie Harris backing up Iguchi, etc...").

Aaron was a serviceable player with a great public persona. He made many mistakes on the basepaths and more in the outfield.

Jim Thome has scored a run in every game this season.

Brian Anderson has not missed a fly ball that Rowand would have caught.

End of debate. Forever.

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 05:45 PM
:?:

NERRRRD!
I know. That was awful. I don't even like any of the Star Trek series, but for some reason this episode stuck with me. I am thoroughly ashamed. Doctor Who forever! *slinks away wearing ridiculously over-long scarf* :redface:

:hijacked:

BTW, I hope everyone enjoyed last week's episode: "DALEK!"

Corlose 15
04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I know. That was awful. I don't even like any of the Star Trek series, but for some reason this episode stuck with me. I am thoroughly ashamed. Doctor Who forever! *slinks away wearing ridiculously over-long scarf* :redface:

Thats ok but a few more posts like that and you'll start to sound like:
http://cbg.nohomers.net/images/newgrab4.gif
"But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without
gills. You're from two different worlds!"

Mercy!
04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Y'all can keep the man-love, man-crush, Rowand 2005 love-fest going on as long as you like in the privacy of your home baseball shrine. As long as you just admit that the trade for Thome was a terrific move in so many respects for a forward-looking team.

And, for pete's sake, enjoy the 2006 season. It's going to be another great ride!

p.s., I did find the thread title a little creepy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D: