PDA

View Full Version : Former Whitesox players given Rings

Evman5
04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I liked this part...

After making the presentation in the home clubhouse, Hemond went to the visiting clubhouse to present a ring to longtime White Sox star Frank Thomas.
"Even though the ring was given to him at his locker and without any fanfare, Frank said he really appreciated the fact that the ring was presented in a personal manner," said Hemond.
"We had a good visit and when I left I told Frank I looked forward to be in Cooperstown when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame," he added.
It was a nice touch to the relationship between Thomas and the White Sox after Thomas and general manager Ken Williams had exchanged some verbal shots in the spring.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060419&content_id=1408582&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I also learned from the article that apparently Jeff Bajenaru is now an outfielder! But in all seriousness, I think that this was a great gesture by the White Sox organization...a classy move.:cool:

thomas35forever
04-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Guess this means there won't be any more ring ceremonies at the Cell this year.

Brian26
04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
But in all seriousness, I think that this was a great gesture by the White Sox organization...a classy move.:cool:

Hemond is the perfect guy to do this too. He's classy and well-spoken.

RadioheadRocks
04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Awesome article, but one thing I noticed is that the article states that Hemond will be making a trip to San Diego to present a ring to Jon Adkins, but what about Geoff Blum???!!! I can't believe the author made that glaring of an oversight.

Banix12
04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
So does every player who made an appearance get a ring? Even Jaime Burke who played all of one inning and got a single AB?

I have to think if Adkins and Cassanova got one then Lopez and Walker got one as well.

I know Bajenaru played OF in college but for some reason I have to think that is a typo. I don't think he would switch back to OF after his strong season in AAA last year as a pitcher. The Tuscon website still has him listed as a pitcher.

voodoochile
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
So does every player who made an appearance get a ring? Even Jaime Burke who played all of one inning and got a single AB?

I have to think if Adkins and Cassanova got one then Lopez and Walker got one as well.

I know Bajenaru played OF in college but for some reason I have to think that is a typo. I don't think he would switch back to OF after his strong season in AAA last year as a pitcher. The Tuscon website still has him listed as a pitcher.

Normally almost every player who contributed to the team in any manner throughout the year gets a ring. That's rarely more than 35 guys so it isn't that big of a deal. Considering the last estimate I read was that the Sox gave out 430 rings all told, 35 to various players wouldn't be out of line. Heck, they could give one to every September callup and still have tons to spare.

Soxfest
04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Great stuff to show that much class to all guys who are gone!:smile:

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Thumbs up to the Sox, I personally thought they'd give it personally for Frank's return in May, but glad it just didn't arrive in the mail. Everyone has personal tizzies that will remain, but that can remain separate from the organization and realization of what a future HOF meant to the franchise/fans

Bobbo35
04-20-2006, 06:48 AM
A guy that I went to college with and work in the same school district as got a ring from being a high school/college recruiter for the Sox. He is younger than me (24) and really had no part in what the Sox did. It pissed me off when he showed it to me.

soxfanreggie
04-20-2006, 09:13 AM
It is interesting to see who they give rings to. But when the scouts come to our games, over half have a championship ring on trying to impress us. Some actually from playing days though.

Evman5
04-20-2006, 09:53 AM

Yah I was joking....I am pretty sure it was a typo:D:

Lip Man 1
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Very classy move. Kudos to whomever thought this up. Sending Roland was letter perfect...the man has no enemies.

Lip

voodoochile
04-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Very classy move. Kudos to whomever thought this up. Sending Roland was letter perfect...the man has no enemies.

Lip

Didn't he also draft Thomas? When I read this I thought it was a great decision and a fantastic way to mend some fences.

Nice to see Frank's response about how classy and personal it was for them to do this.

pasquasroachclip
04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
I think Larry Himes drafted Thomas

tacosalbarojas
04-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Anyone seen Shingo lately?

Layla
04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Anybody know which older players, besides Fisk, Minoso, Aparicio, and Fox's widow got rings?

Just curious.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Voodoo:

It was Himes. Hemond was the GM of Baltimore at the time.

Lip

Taliesinrk
04-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't really appreciate this all that much? I mean, I think Frank deserves a presentation when he makes his return...

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I wonder if Crazy Carl will get his ring next week in Seattle...