PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Hitting

RichH55
01-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Kermit and the like this is aimed at you guys...

I dont pretend to know pitching....especially evalutating guys...but as far as hitting goes I think the stats are rather telling...I was especially considering K/BB ratios and OBP for each level and anything else you guys thing is a telling sign

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Kermit and the like this is aimed at you guys...

I dont pretend to know pitching....especially evalutating guys...but as far as hitting goes I think the stats are rather telling...I was especially considering K/BB ratios and OBP for each level and anything else you guys thing is a telling sign

Rather than giving you a mangled version of my thought process I'll give you a useful article :-)

http://www.strikethree.com/01/07/14/dac.shtml

duke of dorwood
01-24-2002, 08:28 AM
Well lets talk about our minor league hitting instructor. Frankly, I am tired of hearing that everyone we bring up "isnt ready because he has to shorten his swing". This has been used specifically in reference to Joe Crede and JefffLiefer of late. Why do they have to learn to "shorten their swings" up here?

Paulwny
01-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well lets talk about our minor league hitting instructor. Frankly, I am tired of hearing that everyone we bring up "isnt ready because he has to shorten his swing". This has been used specifically in reference to Joe Crede and JefffLiefer of late. Why do they have to learn to "shorten their swings" up here?

http://www.webball.com/skill/batdrills.html

Kilroy
01-24-2002, 10:03 AM

Better pitchers in the majors. More deceptive, bigger breaks on breaking balls, faster fastballs. Shorten swing, and you have more time to see the pitch and then a better chance of making good contact.

Randar68
01-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Better pitchers in the majors. More deceptive, bigger breaks on breaking balls, faster fastballs.

I don't know if I conpletely agree with this. There are many, many, many guys in the minors who throw very hard but never learn offspeed pitches or control. Also, I could come up with a few examples of guys who had so much movement they could never get strikes called and never made it.....

duke of dorwood
01-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Then, our coaches in the minors are NOT instructing, just trying to win?

Randar68
01-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Then, our coaches in the minors are NOT instructing, just trying to win?

I don't know if this is directed at my last comment, but if it is, it's just like school. Some people never get Physics or Calculus, no matter how hard they work at it. So players just never learn control or breaking pitches...

Not everybody has the ability to do all that it takes....