PDA

View Full Version : Zack Greinke shows up for ST

Chicken Dinner
04-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Looks like Zack finally got out of the straight jacket and is now at the Royals spring training facility in Surprise AZ. By the looks of things, the Royals pitching staff could use all the help it can get. I think he's on the 60 DL so I'm not sure when he would be eligible to play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/04/19/bc.bba.royals.greinke.ap/index.html

California Sox
04-19-2006, 05:47 PM
What exactly happened to Greinke? I read a quote from him over the winter that last year while it was the least successful year of his career was his happiest because he didn't put all his focus onto baseball (which I thought was an odd thing to say) and then he disappeared. No one has publicly said what went on. Was it a nervous breakdown? Something more serious than that? I'm dying to know as I actually like Greinke and think he had a chance to be a pretty good pitcher.

buehrle4cy05
04-19-2006, 07:51 PM
You hope it's nothing serious that kept him away from the team...you never wish that upon somebody. That being said, I don't think he can be successfuly this year just because he's going to need to have his ST in May and he probably won't be fully ready to get back until at least June (don't know his DL status). By then, Kansas City will be out of it (as if they aren't already) and Grienke really won't have an incentive to pitch for them.

NonetheLoaiza
04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I could have swore I saw him in the bullpen before the game today. I may have been mistaken, though.

Baby Fisk
04-20-2006, 08:33 AM
When Grienke first left the Royals' ST camp, it was described as "personal reasons". Rumours ranged from Grienke's immaturity, to a dispute with the coaches, to the fact that he just didn't want to play for the Royals anymore (who would?). He was reportedly working with a sports psychologist. The Royals put him on the 60-day DL last month, anticipating that the earliest he could pitch for them was June.

soxfanatlanta
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Here is the KC Royals story: Linkaroo (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060419&content_id=1408075&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc)

spiffie
04-20-2006, 12:04 PM
There's another good story on Grienke and his emotional turmoil at http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/14382742.htm

Iwritecode
04-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow. There's something seriously messed up in that kid's head. I wonder if there's actually a medical term for it? Or maybe it's just anxiety attacks?

It doesn't sound like being on a team that loses 100 games a year is helping much...

jdm2662
04-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Any other organization would've sent him down to the minors last year to get himself back together. However, KC left him out to dry, and I'm willing to think that has caused some of his personal problems. Then again, this is the same team that had Jose Lima make over 30 starts last year...

Iwritecode
04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Any other organization would've sent him down to the minors last year to get himself back together. However, KC left him out to dry, and I'm willing to think that has caused some of his personal problems. Then again, this is the same team that had Jose Lima make over 30 starts last year...

From the articles it sounds like something a little more serious that what a few minor league starts can fix. The best I can come up with is that it sounds like he has anxiety attacks.

Small talk always eluded him. Locker rooms, clubhouses and crowds made him uncomfortable. He felt out of place everywhere but the mound. Then, two months ago, he felt lost there, too. During one spring-training bullpen session, everything spilled out, forcing him to finally deal with longstanding emotional issues.

EndemicSox
04-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Sounds like he needs some Xanax/Valium...