PDA

View Full Version : The Washington Senators?


Daver
01-23-2002, 08:40 PM
I still have my doubts as to whether this will ever happen.


http://www.msnbc.com/news/692553.asp

czalgosz
01-23-2002, 08:44 PM
1) Angelos won't allow it to happen. The amount of money it would take to cover him for the potential losses to his ballclub by having a competitor in D.C. or northern Virginia is prohibitive.

2) D.C. had two chances before, and couldn't keep their ballclub. What would be different this time?

Paulwny
01-23-2002, 08:59 PM
You can't make money when all the politicos will want free tickets for themselves, their guests and their staff. Part of the reason the senators moved.

RichH55
01-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
1) Angelos won't allow it to happen. The amount of money it would take to cover him for the potential losses to his ballclub by having a competitor in D.C. or northern Virginia is prohibitive.

2) D.C. had two chances before, and couldn't keep their ballclub. What would be different this time?

When were the times DC had a team(I Know they did, just looking for years)....Do you think its posible the economic outlook and viability of a MLB franchise might be slightly augmented over the years....maybe just a little? Its not like DC has been in a vacuum for all those years....and Until we see all the cards Angelos has to play I think its premature to say he is a deal breaker

RichH55
01-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Using the NHL as an example...I believe both Atlanta and Colorado had franchises that had to move in the past but when new teamsmoved in with modern facilities and a new economic landscape things were rather different

czalgosz
01-24-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by RichH55


When were the times DC had a team(I Know they did, just looking for years)....Do you think its posible the economic outlook and viability of a MLB franchise might be slightly augmented over the years....maybe just a little? Its not like DC has been in a vacuum for all those years....and Until we see all the cards Angelos has to play I think its premature to say he is a deal breaker

The original Washington Senators were there from the beginning in the AL, until 1961, when they moved to Minnesota and became the Twins. That same year, the AL expanded and Washington got one of the expansion teams, becoming the new Senators. In 1972 the Senators moved to Arlington and became the Rangers. Just an FYI...

Daver
01-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
1) Angelos won't allow it to happen. The amount of money it would take to cover him for the potential losses to his ballclub by having a competitor in D.C. or northern Virginia is prohibitive.

2) D.C. had two chances before, and couldn't keep their ballclub. What would be different this time?

Don't shoot the messenger,I just put it out there.

czalgosz
01-24-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by daver


Don't shoot the messenger,I just put it out there.

I know better than to try to shoot you. I was just griping in general. I don't think D.C. is a great place to put a baseball team, I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of some congressmen.

Daver
01-24-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz


I know better than to try to shoot you. I was just griping in general. I don't think D.C. is a great place to put a baseball team, I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of some congressmen.

Yeah,I shoot back.

I think this is pure Bud trying to apease the powers that be in Washington,he is so close to being called in for perjury it isn't even funny.

ihatethecubs
01-24-2002, 02:47 AM
arent there a lot of o's fans in the DC area anyways?

Spiff
01-24-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
arent there a lot of o's fans in the DC area anyways?

I think there are far fewer than Angelos would have you believe.

rmusacch
01-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
1) Angelos won't allow it to happen. The amount of money it would take to cover him for the potential losses to his ballclub by having a competitor in D.C. or northern Virginia is prohibitive.

2) D.C. had two chances before, and couldn't keep their ballclub. What would be different this time?

I read somewhere, don't rememeber where, that despite Angelos's pissing and moaning, he does not have any territorial rights over DC and Northern Virginia.

bringbackrobin
01-24-2002, 06:47 PM
The territorial rights are just an informal license from Major League Baseball, and they can be taken away at any time. Angelos would have very little power to block such a move. I mean, do the Mets infringe on the Yankees territorial rights? Sure, but nobody cares.

ode to veeck
01-24-2002, 08:46 PM
another plow/ploy tactic by Bud Selig and the baseball cartel (gee I thought these were illegal-but maybe not with the bribe of a bball team within minutes of the capital dome)--like the territorial rights of the san jose area now "officially" being designated the giants (read it more specifically as A's-bar) territory, just because they managed to get a "public pays for a new giants statium" on the ballot a few years back--we were smart enough to vote it down so Bud hoses us as forever designated Giants territory-what a crock!


bring back the frank howard senators--I still have a hard time thinking of the rangers, of course I don't remember baseball well enough from when the twins were actually the senators

Nellie_Fox
01-24-2002, 09:48 PM
[i]I mean, do the Mets infringe on the Yankees territorial rights? Sure, but nobody cares. [/B]
If you think that nobody cares, try moving a team to New York, a market which could easily support a third team.

czalgosz
01-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

If you think that nobody cares, try moving a team to New York, a market which could easily support a third team.

Heck, New York and surrounding metro area could support five teams.

Although there is nothing legally binding that prevents a team moving into D.C. over Angelos' protests, MLB would make a very dangerous enemy in Peter Angelos if they ignore him. All he would have to do is say, "You know, I'm opposed to contraction, and the luxury tax, and I think I should pay my players whatever I want to, and I think Selig is a big jerk." Donald Fehr would die laughing, and the current CBA, without changes except maybe another minimum wage hike, would be extended another 5 years, and the other owners would look even more idiotic than they already do.

They'll dangle the idea of a D.C. ballclub out there, to try to make friends on Capitol Hill, but it will never, ever happen.

Daver
01-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Heck, New York and surrounding metro area could support five teams.

Although there is nothing legally binding that prevents a team moving into D.C. over Angelos' protests, MLB would make a very dangerous enemy in Peter Angelos if they ignore him. All he would have to do is say, "You know, I'm opposed to contraction, and the luxury tax, and I think I should pay my players whatever I want to, and I think Selig is a big jerk." Donald Fehr would die laughing, and the current CBA, without changes except maybe another minimum wage hike, would be extended another 5 years, and the other owners would look even more idiotic than they already do.

They'll dangle the idea of a D.C. ballclub out there, to try to make friends on Capitol Hill, but it will never, ever happen.

It will if Angelos sells,and I have heard some rumours,the new owner would have no choice but to accept it.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:39 PM
I think we give Angelos entirely too much credit...so far his running of the Orioles isnt exactly a thing of beauty