PDA

View Full Version : another radio whine fest

Vance Law's Dog
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
They should be saving some of this Singleton play-by-play for the Radio Hall of Fame. He makes DJ sound like Vin Scully--who of course is my favorite broadcaster of all time.

Vance Law's Dog
04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Tough inning, but Singleton got out of it. More than can be said for Elarton.

They should be saving some of this Singleton play-by-play for the Radio Hall of Fame. He makes DJ sound like Vin Scully--who of course is my favorite broadcaster of all time.

FoulTerritory
04-19-2006, 03:00 PM

I wonder why Singleton is doing any play by play at all. I mean DJ didn't do any (except when hawk was in the bathroom or chomping on bertucci brothers ribs) for about the first 3 or 4 years he was in the booth. Can they at least let Chris figure out how to not meander around aimlessly in his analyst role before they let him try to do play by play?

Vance Law's Dog
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
He just analyzed that a one-hitter is close to a no-hitter. This guy could be the next Tim McCarver.

johnr1note
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
The worst thing about Singelton is the hesitation during the action. "Line drive to center . . ." and you find out after the play has resovled itself whether there was a base hit or not. You're left guessing. Farmer at least calls the game, but he NEVER stops talking. About nothing. For the love of God, he never shuts up.

Madvora
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
It would have been nice to have Singleton making the call if Vazquez did end up getting that no hitter. God! Could you imagine listening to that replay?

Something that would have been saved for years an listened to again decades from now... and you get... Singleton!

MeteorsSox4367
04-19-2006, 03:47 PM
There was a basehit to left that he described as though it were a line drive to the left fielder. I know the guy is new and he did play for the Sox, but...

Dave Wills. Dave Wills. Please pick up the white courtesy phone. Paging Dave Wills. Please come home!!!

Hitmen77
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Farmer is brutal as a play-by-play guy too.

It sounds like he's just reading a text of the play.

PicktoCLick72
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I know most people hate them, but I can't get enough of the two. i think they're hilarious. I realize that most people disagree on that point and that this post will not be well received.

FoulTerritory
04-19-2006, 04:29 PM
I know most people hate them, but I can't get enough of the two. i think they're hilarious. I realize that most people disagree on that point and that this post will not be well received.

I respect your right to have a dissident opinion; however, I am wondering what it is exactly, that you like about them as a tandem. In particular, what do you like about Singleton's announcing?

Frontman
04-19-2006, 05:00 PM
I think they've gotten better than they did during Spring training. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm sure everyone would prefer for these guys to have started this somewhere, anywhere, else. But, I'm encouraged that Singelton has gotten better. Now if Farmer would work with him instead of going to sleep for his one inning of play-by-play, Chris would have a chance at getting the ropes of calling.

miker
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
The White Sox have gotten over their slow start and I hope Farmer & Singleton do to. For his play-by-play, Chris needs to practice with films of old games or something. As for their regular banter when Chris is doing color, he (hopefully!) will learn when to talk and not talk and when to stay out of the action.

Believe it or not, it could be worse...

guyinleftfield
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Man, call you feel the hate coming off those two ?

miker
04-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Man, call you feel the hate coming off those two ?
We could of had a Hughes and Santo-style nine inning butt kissing...

Vance Law's Dog
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Too much going on in that inning Singleton hacked up today--it shows he has no ability whatsoever right now to react to the play. He's only barely passable when the expected is happening--he can say "there's a base hit to left", etc., easily enough. But when the unexpected is happening-- passed balls, hit batsmen, dropped third strikes like in that inning, he's dumbfounded. And on the radio it requires an even more vivid, precise description of such unusual events, or the listener is left in the dark, too. Farmio's PBP is not much better, but at least he's OK as an analyst. Singleton whiffs there most of the time, too.

Fenway
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I listened on XM today. It is the worst MLB broadcast I have ever heard. ( and I have heard plenty )

The Lowell Spinners in short season A have a better play by play guy.

For the #3 market in the country it boggles the mind ( but given how CBS/Infinity is a complete trainwreck except for their all news stations nationwide I am not surprised. Maybe they can put Rover on the White Sox games because the rumors are CBS pulling the plug on him soon along with Roth )

drewcifer
04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Man, can you feel the hate coming off those two ?
LOL! I caught it too. I thought Singleton was gonna cry at one point when they were babbling about playing golf after the game.....

Chris: "But I told you I was flying home to be with my family!"
Farmer: "So, you can't make it?"
Chris: "Whatever... Like I didn't tell you that I ...." <interrupted and cut off by Farmer>

Then later:

Farmer: "So, it's the heel you guys look at when you're looking to steal, right?"
Chris: "What does it matter what I say? You're gonna describe it how you want anyway..."

I swear I think Ed is trying to make him look bad on purpose.

miker
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe this Farmio-Singleton experiment was setup on purpose so Mike North can jump in an "save" the radio broadcasts. :bundy

PaulDrake
04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
The worst thing about Singelton is the hesitation during the action. He'll chop a sentence into several short word bursts. There is no rhythm, flow or sense of timing in his voice. DJ was pretty bad when he started out, but gradually improved. I don't think the same will happen with Singleton.

3rdgensoxfan
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
My solution? Being in Champaign, I listen to Rooney and Shannon Cardinal broadcasts. It might be the wrong baseball team but at least they're a good broadcasting team.... Doh... and we're a big market too... fire them both and get Wills in the booth.

They always leave me wondering what the score/inning and other basics are. That's just sad.

soxfanatlanta
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I agree, this pair hate each other, and Singleton just does not have what it takes to do play by play (Farmio is not much better).

It makes the Gamecast seem almost useable.

drewcifer
04-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree, this pair hate each other, and Singleton just does not have what it takes to do play by play (Farmio is not much better).

It makes the Gamecast seem almost useable.

Chris isn't even a play by play guy - He's the color man, and he sounds terrible....

ws05champs
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
He'll chop a sentence into several short word bursts. There is no rhythm, flow or sense of timing in his voice.

That drives me nuts. It's like watching the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" when they use the word, "anticip...................................... pation" in one of the routines.

buzz90
04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Chris is bad. Period. Why do we have to listen to this? North would have been much better!

drewcifer
04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Chris is bad. Period. Why do we have to listen to this? North would have been much better!

SCORE politics? Anyone know?

<Been away 3.. no 4 years now. I only hear Chris and Ed because of XM>

buehrle4cy05
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Maybe this Farmio-Singleton experiment was setup on purpose so Mike North can jump in an "save" the radio broadcasts. :bundy

I'll just stick a hot poker in my ear, thank you.

Grzegorz
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I was hoping for Jamie Quirk or Tommy John coming in.

That being said, if Chris Singleton and Ed Farmer are having personality clashes I feel sorry for Singleton; he deserves better.

We're the number three (?) market in the nation; we deserve a top notch broadcasting team on both media.

As for the calls for Mike North, one word: no.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Two points:

1. Chris Singleton....a joke of a player...a bigger joke as a 'broadcaster.'

2. If you like or dislike the broadcasting tandem, e-mail Brooks and let him know how you feel. He has something to say about it.

Lip

Foulke You
04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
This should be teal right? You don't cure a disease by adding poison.

Frontman
04-19-2006, 09:07 PM
If there ever was a God, they will never bring in North as a commentator for games. Radio personalities can't do color or play by play without going off track for long, long periods.

NoNeckEra
04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Two points:

2. If you like or dislike the broadcasting tandem, e-mail Brooks and let him know how you feel. He has something to say about it.

Lip
I think I'll do that(email Brooks). As bad as Farmer is, I've gotten used to his style and can at least understand what's happening in the game. I thought Singleton was not going to do PBP until at least June, and now he's suddenly giving it a try. He's tolerable as color because he does have some valid points to make as a recent ex-player. But PBP? I'm sorry, but all this "He'll get better" talk is for the birds. I want, and the Sox deserve a professional, experienced radio team.

spiffie
04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Is there any chance we can trade Singleton and Anderson to Tampa for Wills and Carl Crawford?

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Can Brooks actually do anything? Let us know what his response is, but I think it'd make more sense to email the Score? Maybe Mitch Rosen or even their NY corporate office?

He'll chop a sentence into several short word bursts. There is no rhythm, flow or sense of timing in his voice. DJ was pretty bad when he started out, but gradually improved. I don't think the same will happen with Singleton.

Yes, it's brutal. Not just slow swing...

I_Liked_Manuel
04-20-2006, 12:14 AM
LOL! I caught it too. I thought Singleton was gonna cry at one point when they were babbling about playing golf after the game.....

Chris: "Whatever... Like I didn't tell you that I ...." <interrupted and cut off by Farmer>

Then later:

Farmer: "So, it's the heel you guys look at when you're looking to steal, right?"
Chris: "What does it matter what I say? You're gonna describe it how you want anyway..."

i heard an exchange yesterday that went along the lines of this-

singleton: the cable guy's coming this week to hook up my cable
farmer: now you can watch the highlites of the game
singleton: why would i want to do that?
farmer: so you can see them again
singleton: i can see it for myself in person
farmer: but now you can watch it in slow motion
singleton: i can watch it in slow motion on the monitor right in front of me. so can you.
farmer returned to calling the game

these 2 guys are hilarious together, and they don't even know it

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 12:17 AM

Then later:

I think it is a schtick (and a weak one at that) pitting Farmer against Singleton, the "hitter" against the "pitcher" though I do agree I don't think they like each other and Farmer probably wants him out of there. They must have really gone at it the first Saturday game against the Royals (it was on TV so I didn't listen) because CS has said they should make up and be friends and Farmer says he wants no part of that.

This looks like a weak Hawk vs. Wimparoo act. The broadcast is a little better than Spring Training but not by much. A major market deserves better than this (both TV and Radio on both sides of town). Pat Hughes is the only professional broadcaster and he is stuck with that assclown (and Cubs TV crew is beyond boring).

Hopefully Dave Wills will return to Chicago (his broadcasts are pretty good, he ties in anything he can to the White Sox on his Devil Rays broadcasts which is pretty funny). People with Gameday Audio (or the Sox Fan Club with the free Gameday Audio) should tune in. He has passion for the game and knowledge and he makes a Devil Rays game as interesting as one could.

Hangar18
04-20-2006, 08:45 AM

I know its rare to have a Hall Of Fame Broadcaster in the booth ...........
but what are the chances the Dodgers make a PR Gaffe, and let Vin Scully go and we get him?

Uncle_Patrick
04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I feel bad for Singleton. He's been put into a situation that he shouldn't have been. He's a guy with zero brodacasting experience who's been hired to do play by play for the World Champions and he's partnered with a guy who clearly has no time for him.

soxfanatlanta
04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
I know its rare to have a Hall Of Fame Broadcaster in the booth ...........
but what are the chances the Dodgers make a PR Gaffe, and let Vin Scully go and we get him?

The Tribune Company would gobble him up before we would ever get a chance to hire him! :tongue:

Madvora
04-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I feel bad for Singleton. He's been put into a situation that he shouldn't have been. He's a guy with zero brodacasting experience who's been hired to do play by play for the World Champions and he's partnered with a guy who clearly has no time for him.
Well, he was hired to do color and Farmer was supposed to do play by play. It makes sense that Farmer has to give him some time because he HAS to learn it if it's his job, but I think he should be up there JUST doing color for a month or two before Farmer passes over the reigns to him.
It's too early for Singleton to do PBP.

Realist
04-20-2006, 11:56 AM

I've only listened to them for one game, but that's what it sounded like to me too.

I like Singleton's voice. I think he'll eventually come around if he can manage to avoid the torch wielding band of angry villagers long enough.

1951Campbell
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I've given Singleton a chance. It's just excruciating.

Walker29
04-20-2006, 01:43 PM
My first thought on Singleton was how can a World Championship franchise, such as the Sox have a total rookie in the booth (and a very, very green rookie) at that. But the Sox have a 1st time manager and a 1st time GM. Rooney and Farmer were a great tandem, and are missed but I think that Singleton and Farmer over the season will develop some chemistry. I enjoy the "old school pitcher vs. new school hitter" banter. I hope that Singleton doesn't bow down to Farmio's ego the way that DJ get codescended to by Hawk. Singleton should not be doing any play by play, it is brutal to listen to. Farmio is servicable as a play by play. But I think as long as they stay within the parameters of what they do well, they may make for entertaining radio over the course of the season. I think Jack McDowell or Tommy John would have been solid choices, but then you would be listening to 2 pitchers in the booth.

Revolution29
04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Two points:

Lip

I cant help but notice that it seems as if you've already emailed him and gotten a response?

If that's the case, would you care to share it with us, as I would love to hear what he has to say about this whole thing.

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong though, in which case, disregard this and I'll just send him an email on my own, which I'll probably do either way.

AZChiSoxFan
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Two points:

Lip

I'm sorry to ask this, since it's been put up numerous times already, but what is Brooks' E-mail address?

IowaSox1971
04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
It's sad that some of the posts in this thread blasting Singleton include typos and other mistakes. It's easy to make a mistake when you're typing in something, and it's also easy to make a mistake when you're on the air doing a live broadcast. Singleton's critics should take note.

What exactly did any of you expect from a rookie broadcaster? I did not expect him to go through the season without making a mistake. But it seems that some people on this board want to jump on this guy for every awkward phrase he utters in the booth.

Believe it or not, there were some awkward moments when Rooney and Farmer were teamed up. Many times, they went off on ridiculous tangents. Yet, all of that is now forgotten by some people.

Rooney frequently misjudged how far fly balls were hit. Sometimes Frank or Maggs would hit one and Rooney would leave no doubt it was gone ... until the ball was caught short of the warning track. Or, he would give no clue that a ball was leaving the yard until the ball was landing in the stands, a prime example being his call of Pods' homer in Game 2 of the World Series.

I don't think it's a problem having Singleton do some play by play early in the season. It's too much to expect Farmer to call every inning of every game. Generally, announcers get at least a half-inning or an inning off each game. So, Singleton might as well start doing that now.

Yes, not every play is going to be described exactly the way every listener would like. But that's true with many announcing teams. Does Brenly add much to the Cubs' broadcasts? In my opinion, he does not, and this is a guy with network announcing experience, the kind of guy with experience that some people say we should have hired. If Brenly, a network guy, is this bad, why would Tommy John or someone else have been so great?

Singleton has made some good observations, and he's made some not-so-good ones, but it's early in the season. He deserves a chance to succeed.

AZChiSoxFan
04-20-2006, 06:21 PM
What exactly did any of you expect from a rookie broadcaster?

I'm not mad at Singleton for being a bad broadcaster, that's just what he is. I'm mad at the Sox/Score for hiring a bad broadcaster.

FoulTerritory
04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm not mad at Singleton for being a bad broadcaster, that's just what he is. I'm mad at the Sox/Score for hiring a bad broadcaster.

exactly, and i will add i'm also mad at whoever decided to use him right off as play by play for significant stretches in the game.

Fenway
04-20-2006, 08:42 PM
exactly, and i will add i'm also mad at whoever decided to use him right off as play by play for significant stretches in the game.

I will take an educated guess and point the finger at Farmer.....

I really doubt this will go 162 games like this

Feder will write about this train wreck and somebody in NY will wonder what is going on

bahn1225
04-20-2006, 09:06 PM

On the other hand . . .
Look at it from Farmer's view:
He went from working with one of the best "professional" broadcasters in the business
to a guy who has absolutly no experience.
How would you feel?

SOXSINCE'70
04-20-2006, 09:12 PM
He just analyzed that a one-hitter is close to a no-hitter. This guy could be the next Tim McCarver.

And if you throw strikes,it keeps your infield on its toes.
How's that for Tim McCarver??

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I cant help but notice that it seems as if you've already emailed him and gotten a response?

If that's the case, would you care to share it with us, as I would love to hear what he has to say about this whole thing.

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong though, in which case, disregard this and I'll just send him an email on my own, which I'll probably do either way.

You might get the "canned" response they have for Nancy:

"John Rooney is a living legend and we can't possibly replace him."

Unfortunately, they found the equivalent in the broadcasting booth of a 5 year old butchering chopsticks being hired to replace Nancy. See I told you there are no living musicians left on the planet who know enough about music to match a song with a player.

Maybe they should have taken the time they obviously wasted "searching" for a qualified broadcaster and found an organist and let Farmeo do both ala Vin Scully and Bob Uecker (he pretty much talks the entire time anyway) until Wills became available in 2007 (so we would have ONE professional broadcaster after a one year hiatus).

SOXSINCE'70
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
On the other hand . . .
He went from working with one of the best "professional" broadcasters in the business
How would you feel?

More importantly,why couldn't the White Sox and/or
WSCR "financial guru" (is North really worth 1 mill a year??)
Mitch Rosen come to an agreement with John Rooney??
From what little i've heard of the broadcasts,Singleton
is doing his best,but may be trying too hard.
Farmer without Rooney is horrible.If Farmer is angry
about this situation,i'd like to inform him that some
Sox fans (myself included) aren't too thrilled with this
pairing.

DickAllen72
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
On the other hand . . .
How would you feel?

Now Farmer knows how Rooney must have felt!

Seriously, Farmer is a terrible play by play guy. He wasn't very good doing color either. Rooney carried that team. Now, paired with Singleton, it is unbearable.

If Singleton were paired with Rooney, it would have worked out much better.

DickAllen72
04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Maybe they should have taken the time they obviously wasted "searching" for a qualified broadcaster and found an organist and let Farmeo do both ala Vin Scully and Bob Uecker (he pretty much talks the entire time anyway) until Wills became available in 2007 (so we would have ONE professional broadcaster after a one year hiatus).

That's an interesting thought. Too bad they signed Singleton and Farmer to four year (if I recall correctly) contracts. Now we're stuck with them.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
That's an interesting thought. Too bad they signed Singleton and Farmer to four year (if I recall correctly) contracts. Now we're stuck with them.

Yes I've heard that though I don't know if that has been verified or if any buyout or opt out provisions exist. I can't see the club / station buying him out unless it is declared by all parties (fans, media, club, station) as an unmitigated disaster.

It is not Singleton's fault - heck most ex players would take a six figure annual contract to keep their involvement in the game. I just think teams should hire experienced broadcasters and people need to learn how to broadcast in the minor leagues and or a small market team (i.e. the Royals or Devil Rays like Wills). It is not like this is beneath a former ML player who wants to stay involved in the game to work and gain the experience to learn how to broadcast and be presentable once you are working in a major market. A Hall of Famer like Mike Schmidt agreed to manage a A team in Clearwater to learn the ropes so that one day they are able to manage a big league club. Broadcasting in Birmingham or Omaha for a year or two would at least give the people making these decisions some solid evidence whether someone can broadcast or not and will give the ex player the time to learn how to broadcast which will only come through experience - experience which should be earned BEFORE steping into the booth in Chicago.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Revolution:

Haven't heard anything (yet...)

bboyer@chisox.com

Lip

chisox06
04-20-2006, 10:56 PM
The worst thing about Singelton is the hesitation during the action. "Line drive to center . . ." and you find out after the play has resovled itself whether there was a base hit or not.

Right on the money. My radio instructor has told me about the hesitation time and time again, trying to drive it into my head. Think of it that you have a camera and you have to take "snapshots" of the play. Your goal is to take pictures in the right places so the person looking at the pictures can grab a good understanding of what happened. If you take a picture of only the swing and of the catch or end result, is the guy looking at your snapshots going to fully understand what went on?

I hate to rag on the guy because I'm understanding first hand on how hard it is, and the only real way to improve is just by doing it over and over again. On the other hand Singleton got the job strictly because he was a former player, I hate that. In radio especially, the guy doing the play by play should be a professional broadcaster (John Rooney perfect example) and the color guy, well it makes sense that he's played the game before. Now of course there are exceptions to that rule, and Singleton will get better, but right now he's pretty brutal IMO.

MtEverett
04-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Can we send singleton to the AAA booth?

FoulTerritory
04-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Can we send singleton to the AAA booth?

should have been in deep pink

Revolution29
04-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Revolution:

Haven't heard anything (yet...)

bboyer@chisox.com

Lip

Ah, thanks anyway. Probably best if he gets allot of these so it doesn't appear as if it's just one crazed fan with a problem...

....more like hundreds of crazed fans! :D:

SOecks
04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
I just sent him a pretty long email. Hopefully I'll get a response.

SOecks
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Update-I received a pretty long and well thought out (not canned response at all) response from Brooks this morning. His email does leave me with some hope. I'm not going to quote his email but basically he said that he took some of my criticisms in mind (the ... thing especially) and afterward when listening, did notice that it was an issue. He said he'll address these with Chris. It's good to hear that they are listening and willing to improve and recognize the problems that their fans have. Even more reason to love the team and organization. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
SOecks:

Can you at least give us an idea of what your comments were. That way we can deduce somewhat how Brooks may have answered them.

As for me I'm still wondering how a major league team in the 3rd largest market in the country is a 'training ground' for announcers especially when other former players who have actual experience on air were available and interested.

Lip

SOecks
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Sure, my email to Brooks is below...

Brooks,

Good morning. I wanted to drop you a quick note to comment on the current radio booth situation. I know that nobody can replace Rooney, but Chris Singleton has been an impossible listen for me so far this season. Aside from the very uncomfortable exchanges with Farmer, he is completely unable to describe the game. I don’t know if he’s just trying to fill time when doing play by play, but every sentence has unneeded pauses in them. “Jim Thome…is coming up to bat…and is now…hitting over .390 for the year…after that last…hit in the…third inning”. It ends up with me having no clue what’s happening on the field which is a huge problem. There’s absolutely no pace to the broadcast.

I understand that he is new, but being the radio broadcaster for the World Champions in the 3rd largest market in the country has some responsibilities and I don’t think he is fulfilling them. This is not the time or place for him to be practicing a very difficult craft and using us fans as the guinea pigs when radio/tv interest is at an all time high. I hope something can be done to improve or fix this situation soon. I like Singleton as a person and I’m sure you all do too but this is a business and he is currently not getting the job done.

Thanks for your time and GO SOX! By the way, the intro montages you put together on opening day were incredible. We were all crying like little girls. I’ll also never forget that flyover. Great work!!!

Dick Allen
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Sure, my email to Brooks is below...

Brooks,

Good morning. I wanted to drop you a quick note to comment on the current radio booth situation. I know that nobody can replace Rooney, but Chris Singleton has been an impossible listen for me so far this season. Aside from the very uncomfortable exchanges with Farmer, he is completely unable to describe the game. I don’t know if he’s just trying to fill time when doing play by play, but every sentence has unneeded pauses in them.“Jim Thome…is coming up to bat…and is now…hitting over .390 for the year…after that last…hit in the…third inning”. It ends up with me having no clue what’s happening on the field which is a huge problem. There’s absolutely no pace to the broadcast.

I understand that he is new, but being the radio broadcaster for the World Champions in the 3rd largest market in the country has some responsibilities and I don’t think he is fulfilling them.This is not the time or place for him to be practicing a very difficult craft and using us fans as the guinea pigs when radio/tv interest is at an all time high. I hope something can be done to improve or fix this situation soon. I like Singleton as a person and I’m sure you all do too but this is a business and he is currently not getting the job done.

Thanks for your time and GO SOX! By the way, the intro montages you put together on opening day were incredible. We were all crying like little girls. I’ll also never forget that flyover. Great work!!!Very good letter, SOecks. As I've been saying for a long time, leave it to the Score to screw anything and everything up.

DickAllen72
04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
PS. Farmer isn't good either.

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
PS. Farmer isn't good either.This is also true, at least Singleton can use the "rookie" label.

Frontman
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Could be worse folks.

It could of been Keith Hernandez.

;)

Front

petekat
04-24-2006, 10:44 PM
yeah and Farmer is friggin brutal. Domer this domer that. I know this guy I know that guy. And he's nasty around fans. Nobody at Soxfest could stand him....:(:

The worst thing about Singelton is the hesitation during the action. "Line drive to center . . ." and you find out after the play has resovled itself whether there was a base hit or not. You're left guessing. Farmer at least calls the game, but he NEVER stops talking. About nothing. For the love of God, he never shuts up.

petekat
04-24-2006, 10:46 PM
In particular, what do you like about Farmio?

I respect your right to have a dissident opinion; however, I am wondering what it is exactly, that you like about them as a tandem. In particular, what do you like about Singleton's announcing?

johnr1note
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't know if i expect too much from our radio team. I have never followed the Sox on TV -- I don't watch television. I have listened to the Sox on the radio since the mid-60s. No matter what anyone says in criticism of past radio teams, this one has to be the most brutal we've EVER had. When I'm having sentimental memories of Bob Elson (who Richard Linberg referred to as "the somnambulist," but who is a hall of fame broadcaster), you know we're in trouble.

But I think this ultimately stems from the corporate decision to allow the Sox to move to WSCR. Mr. Reinsdorf, bless the man, has not always made the sharpest PR moves. Remember "ON TV?" Remember them allowing Harry Carry to walk? Those kinds of fumbles really made the Sox look foolish, and soured many fans' outlook on how and where to access the games. The reason why I don't watch the Sox on TV largely stems from the "ON TV" debacle -- I refused to give in to pay per view for Sox games back in 1982 or whenever it was. The move to WSCR is quite similar for me, as I depend on radio to follow the Sox. WSCR is a vapid radio ghetto. I get better sports talk at the corner tavern, or here at WSI. The whole atmosphere of the broadcasts feels second class, small-townish, and less than professional. When Mike North is the cornerstone, the crown jewel of the empire, well, all you have is the equivalant of the men's room at Stuckeys somewhere off of I-57 near Effingham. The stench from this offal now permeates Sox broadcasts. The Farmer/Singleton flap is merely the "during the game" manifestation of this very, very poor management decision.

I boycott WSCR whenever I can, and, thanks to XM, I can do so freely and still listen to White Sox games while the team is on the road. The past two nights, I have enjoyed the radio team for the Mariners. I don't know who they are -- but they are professional. They call the game well. They provide good insight for not only the play by play, but for that "inner game" of baseball, the whole reason you have a "color guy" who is a former player. Particularly Monday night, thier insights and commentary regarding Jamie Moyer's approach to the game was very interesting. And thier insights into White Sox players, who they obviously had interviewed briefly that day, put Farmio and CS to shame. I have found to a varying degree that the quality of other road broadcasters is about the same, with a few exceptions.

Why can't we HAVE that? WHY???? You can nit pick a lot of broadcasters. John Rooney was a living caricature of the overwrought, "Ted Knight" style of sportscasting, but at least he called the game, and put some feeling into it.

All I ask for is competent play by play, regular updates about what the score is, how many outs, how many on base, the count etc. (Something even the great John Rooney wasn't consistent doing). A little baseball insight is a bonus.

We have none of this with Farmio and Singleton. Plus, our team now lives in the sewer that is WSCR.

I can't stand it. WMVP might not win broadcasting awards, and some of their on air personalities were not my faves, but at least they treated the White Sox broadcasts with the reverence they deserved.

How many fans will be turned off to this, like so many were in the early 80s with all the TV issues at that time? Sox management needs to fix this, and fix it fast.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
The problem isn't really all Singleton. While he isn't as good as Farmer as a color man, Farmer is no where near Ronney when it comes to play by play. That is the hole in this tearm, a Rooney, Singleton team would be head and shoulders above the current team.

Remeber Singleton didn't replace Rooney but replaced Farmer who replaced Rooney.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2006, 11:54 AM

Unintentional comedy can be some of the funniest things around however, not sure I want that with the Sox broadcast. Maybe if we were KCi it would work but not with Championship baseball.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't know if i expect too much from our radio team. I have never followed the Sox on TV -- I don't watch television. I have listened to the Sox on the radio since the mid-60s. No matter what anyone says in criticism of past radio teams, this one has to be the most brutal we've EVER had. When I'm having sentimental memories of Bob Elson (who Richard Linberg referred to as "the somnambulist," but who is a hall of fame broadcaster), you know we're in trouble.

But I think this ultimately stems from the corporate decision to allow the Sox to move to WSCR. Mr. Reinsdorf, bless the man, has not always made the sharpest PR moves. Remember "ON TV?" Remember them allowing Harry Carry to walk? Those kinds of fumbles really made the Sox look foolish, and soured many fans' outlook on how and where to access the games. The reason why I don't watch the Sox on TV largely stems from the "ON TV" debacle -- I refused to give in to pay per view for Sox games back in 1982 or whenever it was. The move to WSCR is quite similar for me, as I depend on radio to follow the Sox. WSCR is a vapid radio ghetto. I get better sports talk at the corner tavern, or here at WSI. The whole atmosphere of the broadcasts feels second class, small-townish, and less than professional. When Mike North is the cornerstone, the crown jewel of the empire, well, all you have is the equivalant of the men's room at Stuckeys somewhere off of I-57 near Effingham. The stench from this offal now permeates Sox broadcasts. The Farmer/Singleton flap is merely the "during the game" manifestation of this very, very poor management decision.

I boycott WSCR whenever I can, and, thanks to XM, I can do so freely and still listen to White Sox games while the team is on the road. The past two nights, I have enjoyed the radio team for the Mariners. I don't know who they are -- but they are professional. They call the game well. They provide good insight for not only the play by play, but for that "inner game" of baseball, the whole reason you have a "color guy" who is a former player. Particularly Monday night, thier insights and commentary regarding Jamie Moyer's approach to the game was very interesting. And thier insights into White Sox players, who they obviously had interviewed briefly that day, put Farmio and CS to shame. I have found to a varying degree that the quality of other road broadcasters is about the same, with a few exceptions.

Why can't we HAVE that? WHY???? You can nit pick a lot of broadcasters. John Rooney was a living caricature of the overwrought, "Ted Knight" style of sportscasting, but at least he called the game, and put some feeling into it.

All I ask for is competent play by play, regular updates about what the score is, how many outs, how many on base, the count etc. (Something even the great John Rooney wasn't consistent doing). A little baseball insight is a bonus.

We have none of this with Farmio and Singleton. Plus, our team now lives in the sewer that is WSCR.

I can't stand it. WMVP might not win broadcasting awards, and some of their on air personalities were not my faves, but at least they treated the White Sox broadcasts with the reverence they deserved.

How many fans will be turned off to this, like so many were in the early 80s with all the TV issues at that time? Sox management needs to fix this, and fix it fast.

Great post. You'll never have to listen to the score again ($9.95 - MLB Game Day Audio through the White Sox Fan Club - http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/spc/index.jsp )

Dick Allen
04-26-2006, 05:04 PM

How many fans will be turned off to this, like so many were in the early 80s with all the TV issues at that time? Sox management needs to fix this, and fix it fast.You echoed my sentiments exactly regarding the Score. They took a good concept, sports talk radio, and have flushed it down the toilet. I too am getting satellite radio very shortly so I won't have to put up with their excessive amounts of garbage.