PDA

View Full Version : How bout dem Twins?


kermittheefrog
01-23-2002, 07:26 PM
They signed Mike Jackson.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0123/1316243.html

This is the kind of news that once again leads me to say: I don't think they are gonna be big competitors in the central this year.

czalgosz
01-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Mike Jackson is still alive?

kermittheefrog
01-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Mike Jackson is still alive?

Alive and still throwing that nasty veteran presence pitch of his.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-23-2002, 09:48 PM
"Kermie shoots... he scores!"

Mike Jackson (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/PostoftheWeek.htm)

kermittheefrog
01-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Kermie shoots... he scores!"

Mike Jackson (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/PostoftheWeek.htm)

Wow post of the week, cool!

:)

RichH55
01-23-2002, 11:13 PM
Sadly with tht relief core Jackson could actually be a good signing

Spiff
01-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Jackson was ok in the beginning of the year, he had a 2.92 at one point in early June. After that he kinda broke down but don't forget he was pitching at Enron.

RichH55
01-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Jackson was ok in the beginning of the year, he had a 2.92 at one point in early June. After that he kinda broke down but don't forget he was pitching at Enron.


He's also 37 IIRC and has never been Mr. Consistency

duke of dorwood
01-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Well, Hawkins really tailed off the last part of last season. I wonder if this is a sign that new manager wants a different closer?

ma-gaga
01-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Yes. To say that Hawkins sucked during the Twins collapse, is an understatement. His era was over 10, and he blew 2 or 3 saves against Cleveland. THAT alone pretty much cost the Twins the division (not the trade of Lawton, or injury to Guzman, which all happened at about the same time).

Guardado has been named the closer. The Twinkies need some bullpen help to replace Guardado's setup role. They now employ a bunch of veteran setup guys, and a kid named Cressend.

At least they let Hector Carrasco go. :)

kermittheefrog
01-24-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Yes. To say that Hawkins sucked during the Twins collapse, is an understatement. His era was over 10, and he blew 2 or 3 saves against Cleveland. THAT alone pretty much cost the Twins the division (not the trade of Lawton, or injury to Guzman, which all happened at about the same time).

Guardado has been named the closer. The Twinkies need some bullpen help to replace Guardado's setup role. They now employ a bunch of veteran setup guys, and a kid named Cressend.

At least they let Hector Carrasco go. :)

Say what you want about Hawkins who admittedly sucked but you take the best OBP out of a middling offense and it's screwed. The Twins did that to themselves, volounteerily and the guy they got for Lawton sucked ass. Hawkins helped them blow it but I've got that Lawton trade down for a good 75% of the collapse. I think the injury to David Ortiz was even bigger than the one to Guzman too. Ortiz got hurt early in the year and could have been their best hitter but he broke his wrist and even when he came back it sapped his power and drastically hindered him at the plate.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


Say what you want about Hawkins who admittedly sucked but you take the best OBP out of a middling offense and it's screwed. The Twins did that to themselves, volounteerily and the guy they got for Lawton sucked ass. Hawkins helped them blow it but I've got that Lawton trade down for a good 75% of the collapse. I think the injury to David Ortiz was even bigger than the one to Guzman too. Ortiz got hurt early in the year and could have been their best hitter but he broke his wrist and even when he came back it sapped his power and drastically hindered him at the plate.


The Twins run was essentially a house of cards and I'll stick by that statement until they prove me wrong next year....3 solid starting pitchers can only get you so far

Daver
01-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by RichH55



The Twins run was essentially a house of cards and I'll stick by that statement until they prove me wrong next year....3 solid starting pitchers can only get you so far


Yeah,look at the D'backs.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by daver



Yeah,look at the D'backs.


Are you comparing quality of starting pitching of the D-backs and the Twins...especially in terms of who you want come playoff time or in pressure games....Hitting wise I would take the D-backs as well(though that is just off the top of my head), and I would think that D-backs bullpen was better as well....but then again I dont know if the D-backs had a closer with an ERA over 10 for a significant stretch of the season either...but I appreciate the sarcasm nonetheless

ma-gaga
01-25-2002, 06:46 PM
I agree. The Lawton trade hurt them more than they thought it would. They reportedly made a deal for Toronto's RF (shannon stewart?), but the paperwork was filed too late. I'm not really sure why they screwed with their lineup, to say it backfired is an understatement.

They have more than just three pitchers. They have a above average 1b, ss and 3b, both defensively/offensively. Their 2b only hits 0.250, but is too good with the glove to replace, and is only 22 years old. Their outfield is a liability. They are great defensively, and tori hunter has power, but they need more production out of their corner outfielders. Their relief core is a HUGE question though. Guardado was the only 'sure' thing pitcher they've had the last 3-5 years, and he's starting to get old. The rest of them have been brilliant, and pathetic. Typical baseball players.

Don't count the Twins out, they are going to return with essentially the same team this year that slipped by the White Sox last year.

:)

AsInWreck
01-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by daver



Yeah,look at the D'backs.

I'd say johnson and schilling go a little beyond solid

czalgosz
01-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by daver



Yeah,look at the D'backs.

I kind of wanted to talk about the Diamondbacks - it's interesting you brought it up.

The National League was either extraordinarily well-balanced last season, or just extremely weak. Here are all the teams that finished over .500-

T1. Houston - 93-69
T1. St. Louis - 93-69
3. Arizona - 92-70
4. San Francisco - 90-72
T5. Atlanta - 88-74
T5. Chicago - 88-74
T7. Philadelphia - 86-76
T7. Los Angeles - 86-76
9. New York - 82-80

Somehow the National League managed to create a pennant race that was both tight and boring last season. There were no standout teams, just some mediocre teams powered by one or two great players (like the Giants and Diamondbacks) and some teams that were above-average at most things, but exceptional at nothing (like the Cardinals and Phillies). No team was able to run away with anything.

When the postseason hit, one of those teams had to win, and it was the team that was most ready for the playoffs. The Diamondbacks had no depth and some glaring holes, both offensively and defensively, but they had two advantages - 1) they had two of the best pitchers currently playing and 2) They were facing a weak Yankee team that had gotten in because the Mariners and the A's beat themselves in the playoffs.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.