PDA

View Full Version : Question about Yankee Stadium

areilly
04-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm going to New York City in a couple weeks and will be attending a Yankees game. Does anyone know how access works around the park? Specifically, if I get an upper deck ticket can I still check things out on the lower level? I'm not especially concerned with getting up close and personal with Jorge Posada, but would like to check out as much of the park as possible.

Thanks to anyone who knows, and too bad they're not playing the Sox that weekend...

Baby Fisk
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I was there in September 2004 and had no problem accessing the lower deck before the game with an upper deck ticket. If you enter at the gate behind CF, you can go into Monument Park (aka the Yankee Cemetery), but go early because they clear people out of there 30 minutes before game time. The Yanks' official website has more details you will find helpful.

ondafarm
04-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Baby Fisk, you forgot the ever popular maple eskimo pies, unless you're calling them maple inuit pies that is.

credeistheman
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
if you show up about an hour before the game you shouldn't have a problem. i went for opening day and there was no problem getting around. you might have a problem getting down to the baselines, they're pretty strict about letting people down into the box areas.

just show up early and you won't have a problem.

cbotnyse
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I was there a few years ago and really wasnt impressed.....but besides that I think if you have bleacher seats (which only run about 10 bucks) you are restricted to that area. kinda like the park on the northside.

whitesoxwin
04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Just one thing: there is NO SMOKING ANYWHEREin Yankee Stadium and there are no outs for smokers*.
So bring your gum.
The Stadium is quite a site.
I you are into adventure take the subway to the game (but hide your money/wallet).
Some friends and I went to a Sox game there a couple years back and stayed in Lower Manhatton---took the subway to the Bronx.
The Yankee fans don't mess with you (they might give you a weird look--but that's a New Yorker)--they only mess with Red Sox/Mets fans.
Enjoy.

(*Not indicating you are a smoker, but thought I might add this--just in case you or one of your group is a smoker!)

Fenway
04-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The Yankee fans don't mess with you (they might give you a weird look--but that's a New Yorker)--they only mess with Red Sox/Mets fans.
Enjoy.

They left Red Sox fans alone in 2005.

That fanbase has not recovered from the Yankees blowing a 3-0 lead in the ALCS.

Lower deck you are fine and the first few rows of the upper deck as well. The bleachers? I did it once and lived but my Red Sox hat was set on fire and thrown on the field :angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I was there in September 2004 and had no problem accessing the lower deck before the game with an upper deck ticket. If you enter at the gate behind CF, you can go into Monument Park (aka the Yankee Cemetery), but go early because they clear people out of there 30 minutes before game time. The Yanks' official website has more details you will find helpful.

I would make it a point to get there when the gates open and go immediately to monument park (in left field - fans with any level ticket are allowed to go to monument park). They close monument park either 45 minutes or 1 hour prior to gametime and the line usually has a few hundred people in it so make sure you go there as soon as you enter the park.

They have about 15 - 20 plastic plaques which detail the accomplishments of Yankees along the line which is pretty good when you are killing time. After about 10 - 15 minutes in line you finally reach monument park. They have plaques (which used to be in the field of play in "Death Valley" LF / CF) of the all time greats (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, etc.). Outside of that, there are not many attractions to see other than sitting in your seat and absorbing the ballpark. The food / beer prices are pretty steep and they do not have a great selection (they do have a deli on the lower level).

Enjoy your visit as they are closing the great stadium down in a couple of years. Even a Yankee hater like me has always enjoyed my time in Yankee Stadium (including witnessing the worst loss in Yankee history 22-0 to the Toons on 8/31/04). Yes I am blessed. :cool:

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 09:43 PM
The bleachers? I did it once and lived but my Red Sox hat was set on fire and thrown on the field :angry:

Wait, that actually happened?

:o:

MUsoxfan
04-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I was there a few years ago and really wasnt impressed.....but besides that I think if you have bleacher seats (which only run about 10 bucks) you are restricted to that area. kinda like the park on the northside.

IIRC, there's no alcohol allowed in the bleachers.

Rudy Law
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I was there last year and had for the WhiteSox series and had a great time....Yankee fans are great.....If you go early you should go to Billy's Bar...its a great Yankee bar if you are in to that sort of thing.....The park is amazing...Changed my whole outlook on the Yankees...I did have trouble getting to the lower deck with upperdeck seats...Also take the subway there...

gbergman
04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
The bleachers? I did it once and lived but my Red Sox hat was set on fire and thrown on the field :angry:

good one less hat from th most annoying fanbase. sorry fenway i met a lot of cool people last august when i went to the sun. wsox game that got rained out in august at fenway park but i have never met a fanbase that cant shut up for one minute about 04 even though this is 06. plus the fact i met a lot who dont know anything about baseball.

one red sox fan asked me if a pinch runner could stand next to the batter at home plate and pinch run for him on contact.

another tried to argue with me if a ball bounces of a wall such as the green monster and the outfielder catches it before it hits the ground that the batter is out. he did this infront of about 250+ red sox fans during the delay.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-19-2006, 11:45 PM
I was there last year and had for the WhiteSox series and had a great time....Yankee fans are great.....If you go early you should go to Billy's Bar...its a great Yankee bar if you are in to that sort of thing.....The park is amazing...Changed my whole outlook on the Yankees...I did have trouble getting to the lower deck with upperdeck seats...Also take the subway there...

Enjoy it while it lasts because "The House That Ruth Built" is set to be imploded and replaced by "The House That New York Taxpayers Built".

MUsoxfan
04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts because "The House That Ruth Built" is set to be imploded and replaced by "The House That New York Taxpayers Built".

I was under the impression it would remain standing and act as a museum to all that was great in the game of baseball

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2006, 12:24 AM
IIRC I believe the Yankee's offer tours of the ballpark also if you for some reason can't get into the lower deck with your UD ticket... Think its like 5-10 bucks per person... Offdays and well before games I'm sure...

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 12:33 AM
I was under the impression it would remain standing and act as a museum to all that was great in the game of baseball

No - they were going keep the field and have a few thousand seats for high school games but that has been nixed and all traces of Yankee Stadium will be gone (not even a home plate painted on a parking lot).

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/2006/03/nyc_plans_to_co.html

TheKittle
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM

I hate the Yankee Stadium, BS MYTH. The Yankees in the mid 70's completely changed Yankee Stadium from the House that Ruth Built to the Money Maker for George. The Yankee Stadium of 1977-present is hardly the House that Ruth Built.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-20-2006, 01:26 AM
I hate the Yankee Stadium, BS MYTH. The Yankees in the mid 70's completely changed Yankee Stadium from the House that Ruth Built to the Money Maker for George. The Yankee Stadium of 1977-present is hardly the House that Ruth Built.

While you are correct in saying the renovated Yankee Stadium was a drastic change to the original park, CBS (which sold the team in 1973 to George Steinbrenner) signed the 30 year lease with the stadium's owner the (soon to be bankrupt) City of New York which included the renovation provisions in 1972, the year before George purchased controlling interest in the club.

I am sure that was a big factor in George's decision to purchase the club but the plans to renovate Yankee Stadium started years before Steinbrenner purchased the club and were finalized several months before George purchased the club.

In any event, renovating a stadium on the same site is a lot different from imploding a stadium and building a new one on new ground.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nyy/ballpark/stadium_history.jsp

On August 8, 1972, after years of debate about the future of the aging ballpark, the Yankees signed a 30-year lease with the City of New York which called for Yankee Stadium to be completely modernized in time for the 1976 season. After completing the Stadium's 50th-Anniversary season in 1973, the Yankees moved to Shea Stadium for two seasons while their home was almost completely demolished and then rebuilt.

Fenway
04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Red Sox have some of the smartest fans and some of the dumbest

idiots in the bleachers still do "the wave"

at least Fenway doesn't play Cottoneye Joe like the Yankees do

we have baseball classics like "Sweet Caroline"

good one less hat from th most annoying fanbase. sorry fenway i met a lot of cool people last august when i went to the sun. wsox game that got rained out in august at fenway park but i have never met a fanbase that cant shut up for one minute about 04 even though this is 06. plus the fact i met a lot who dont know anything about baseball.

one red sox fan asked me if a pinch runner could stand next to the batter at home plate and pinch run for him on contact.

another tried to argue with me if a ball bounces of a wall such as the green monster and the outfielder catches it before it hits the ground that the batter is out. he did this infront of about 250+ red sox fans during the delay.