PDA

View Full Version : The Mariners change announcers halfway through games

lumpyspun
04-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Bare with me here:
Living in Seattle, I watch/listen to alot of M's games. They usually start off with Dave Niehaus and Dave Henderson doing the commentating on TV and then by about the fifth inning they switch over to radio and the radio crew (usually Ron Fairly and Rick Rizzs) come over to do TV.

I'm assuming they do this so that both outlets get equal "Dave Niehaus time" b/c he seems to be the elder respected announcer. I'm not sure if it's contractual or what...

But, I wonder how they set it up so that they don't talk about the same stuff throughout the game. For example if Niehaus is on TV in the first inning and telling a random story about Randy Johnson for some reason, how do they make sure that Dave Henderson doesn't come on TV in the 7th inning and not tell the same random story about Randy Johnson?

Also, would anyone like to see the Sox go with a format like this? That way nobody is subjected to Singleton for a whole game (or DJ, Hawk, or whoever you don't personally like)?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Bare with me here:
Living in Seattle, I watch/listen to alot of M's games. They usually start off with Dave Niehaus and Dave Henderson doing the commentating on TV and then by about the fifth inning they switch over to radio and the radio crew (usually Ron Fairly and Rick Rizzs) come over to do TV.

I'm assuming they do this so that both outlets get equal "Dave Niehaus time" b/c he seems to be the elder respected announcer. I'm not sure if it's contractual or what...

But, I wonder how they set it up so that they don't talk about the same stuff throughout the game. For example if Niehaus is on TV in the first inning and telling a random story about Randy Johnson for some reason, how do they make sure that Dave Henderson doesn't come on TV in the 7th inning and not tell the same random story about Randy Johnson?

Also, would anyone like to see the Sox go with a format like this? That way nobody is subjected to Singleton for a whole game (or DJ, Hawk, or whoever you don't personally like)?

They used to do this in Chicago (1970s) on both sides of town. Vin Scully (by himself) works the first three innings of Dodgers games and then Charlie Steiner takes over.

On a side note, the Yankees radio team is unbearable (the play by play announcer is routinely lost and the woman providing color is about as bad as Singleton). I also listened to Dave Wills closing out the Devil Rays game (trying to get info about Orvella and Papelbon for Rotisserie) and he was pretty funny and made two White Sox references (tying in Mississippi State were Papelbon is from with two White Sox pitchers Thigpen and I forgot the second one). I think he'll be back here in 2007.

0o0o0
04-19-2006, 12:32 AM
For some reason, this made me imagine a scenario where Singleton and Dj would be in the booth together. Oh man that would be priceless. :roflmao:

mike squires
04-19-2006, 12:53 AM
For some reason, this made me imagine a scenario where Singleton and Dj would be in the booth together. Oh man that would be priceless. :roflmao:

My wife made the exact same comment tonight. Although DJ has come along way, it would be brutal!

ma-gaga
04-19-2006, 01:47 AM
The Twins have something similar on the radio only. For the longest time Herb Carneal did all the innings. As he's slowly been "retiring", he's doing less and less of the games. Currently this is their schedule:

At Home:
innings 1-3 - John Gordon
innings 4-6 - Herb Carneal
innings 7-9 - John Gordon

Away:
innings 4-6 - Danny Gladden

Carneal was such a good announcer. It's hard to hear him now in his reduced state (he's like 85-90). The Gordon/Gladden combo misses calling a disturbing number of pitches 'chatting' about whatever. It's frustrating to hear a player suddenly at a "2-1" count, when all they've called is a single ball. Apparently the other 2 pitches weren't that important.

It works. If something happens they'll interrupt their sentence mid word, and call it; "that Alex Rodriguez is a. AND THERE GOES A LONG, DEEP, SHOT, TO CENTER FIELD. GOING. GOING. GONE!!! Touch them all Juan Castro".

It's just a little frustrating if you are into pitches per plate appearances, or if you enjoy paying attention to the little differences in each at bat. But whatever. I'm just a geek...

:gulp:

skobabe8
04-19-2006, 01:51 AM
They used to do this in Chicago (1970s) on both sides of town. Vin Scully (by himself) works the first three innings of Dodgers games and then Charlie Steiner takes over.

On a side note, the Yankees radio team is unbearable (the play by play announcer is routinely lost and the woman providing color is about as bad as Singleton). I also listened to Dave Wills closing out the Devil Rays game (trying to get info about Orvella and Papelbon for Rotisserie) and he was pretty funny and made two White Sox references (tying in Mississippi State were Papelbon is from with two White Sox pitchers Thigpen and I forgot the second one). I think he'll be back here in 2007.

God I hope so.

TheKittle
04-19-2006, 01:58 AM
The Twins have something similar on the radio only. For the longest time Herb Carneal did all the innings. As he's slowly been "retiring", he's doing less and less of the games. Currently this is their schedule:

At Home:
innings 4-6 - Herb Carneal

Away:
innings 4-6 - Danny Gladden

Carneal was such a good announcer. It's hard to hear him now in his reduced state (he's like 85-90). The Gordon/Gladden combo misses calling a disturbing number of pitches 'chatting' about whatever. It's frustrating to hear a player suddenly at a "2-1" count, when all they've called is a single ball. Apparently the other 2 pitches weren't that important.

It works. If something happens they'll interrupt their sentence mid word, and call it; "that Alex Rodriguez is a. AND THERE GOES A LONG, DEEP, SHOT, TO CENTER FIELD. GOING. GOING. GONE!!! Touch them all Juan Castro".

It's just a little frustrating if you are into pitches per plate appearances, or if you enjoy paying attention to the little differences in each at bat. But whatever. I'm just a geek...

:gulp:

The Angels played the Twins today and I heard in an interview that Jack Morris does about 20 games for Twins radio.

Iwritecode
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
The Gordon/Gladden combo misses calling a disturbing number of pitches 'chatting' about whatever. It's frustrating to hear a player suddenly at a "2-1" count, when all they've called is a single ball. Apparently the other 2 pitches weren't that important.

You must never have heard the Cubs radio broadcast team. They're just as bad if not worse...

Lip Man 1
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The Sox did this because they wanted to utilize the talents and drawing power of Harry Caray.

He'd float from TV to radio and back as late as 1981 (I have video of this).

Jimmy Piersall would do the same thing and so did Joe McConnell.

On some rare occasions so would Rich King.

This is actually fairly common today.

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-19-2006, 01:50 PM
The Sox did this because they wanted to utilize the talents and drawing power of Harry Caray.

He'd float from TV to radio and back as late as 1981 (I have video of this).

Jimmy Piersall would do the same thing and so did Joe McConnell.

On some rare occasions so would Rich King.

This is actually fairly common today.

Lip

The Flubs also did this back when Harry and Thom Brenneman worked for WGN. Caray and Stone worked the first three innings on TV, while Brenneman was on the radio with Santo. They'd switch for innings 4-6, and then switch back for 7-9.

Railsplitter
04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
IIRC, The Braves did the same on TBS circa 1983

chaerulez
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
The Flubs also did this back when Harry and Thom Brenneman worked for WGN. Caray and Stone worked the first three innings on TV, while Brenneman was on the radio with Santo. They'd switch for innings 4-6, and then switch back for 7-9.

Yeah I was going to bring this up too... I was pretty sure Caray split time between tv and radio so both audiences could hear their marquee announcer.

soxinem1
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM

These two could play them in a movie:

http://homepage.mac.com/knarley/iblog/B1286550043/C346497955/E1184077165/Media/carltonalfonso.jpg http://www.michaellwilliams.com/i/josephPhillips.jpg

Chris Singleton -------------------Darrin Jackson

VenturaSoxFan23
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Luckily for us, Santo stayed on the radio. Only Thom & Harry switched places. Thom & Steve Stone weren't that bad together.

TDog
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Your best play-by-play man (which Harry Caray was before his stroke) should be doing radio exclusively. Fans who can't see the game need (a younger) Vin Skully, Dave Niehaus or John Rooney to bring it alive for them. Unfortunately, popular announcers go to TV to get higher ratings. On television you can see what is going on.

Harry Caray replaced Jack Drees on TV because the Sox wanted to take advantage of his growing popularity, but he split his time with radio Honestly, I liked Harry Caray better before I knew what he looked like.

Brian26
04-20-2006, 10:14 PM
You must never have heard the Cubs radio broadcast team. They're just as bad if not worse...

Pat Hughes seems like a pro to me. It's the clown he's hooked up with that drags them down.

ILuvThatDuck
04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
DJ and Singleton working a game together????
That is one scary thought. Nothing would make any sense and at some point 1 of them would try to buy a vowel.

Iwritecode
04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Pat Hughes seems like a pro to me. It's the clown he's hooked up with that drags them down.

True.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Hughes had a lot of practice working with Bob Uecker in Milwaukee. If he can put up with Bob, he can put up with anybody.