PDA

View Full Version : Sox ST Move to Glendale, Arizona?

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't think anyone posted this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060416soxbits,1,6230830.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) yet. For those of you not Tribune-registered who cannot access the link, the Tribune is reporting that the White Sox are in talks with Glendale officials about a new spring training complex. Glendale, a Phoenix western suburb, is trying to lure the Sox from Tucson and the Dodgers from Vero Beach, Fla. If the Sox leave Tucson, they have to get an AL team to replace them there. Speculation is that it would be the Cleveland Indians who are itchy to get out of Winter Haven, Fla. The Tribe trained at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson for many years.

I strongly oppose the White Sox leaving Tucson, even though the Phoenix area is a more popular choice. No offense to those of you from Maricopa County, but I just can't stand the Valley. I would tell you why, but doing so would Roadhouse this thread. Let's just say that I am a Tucsonan at heart. I would hate it very much for the White Sox to leave the Old Pueblo.

SoxxoS
04-18-2006, 10:37 PM
This subject has been talked about many a time, but how anyone can like Tuxxon over the Valley is beyond my mental capacity. More power to you, though.

That being said, I am definitely in favor of the move.

SABRSox
04-18-2006, 10:38 PM
When I read the thread title from the main forum page, all I saw was Glendale, and for a brief moment, the thought of Sox spring training in Glendale, CA danced through my head.

How wonderful that would be... for me.

At either rate, I doubt the Dodgers are leaving Dogertown anytime soon. And I'd rather keep Cleveland in FL so we don't have their hitters seeing our pitchers stuff before the season.

A.T. Money
04-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Never been to Tucson, but I worked in the Valley. And I think Glendale is a wise choice.

NDSox12
04-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Is Glendale where they are building the new football stadium for the Cardinals?

likeawarlord
04-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I strongly oppose the White Sox leaving Tucson, even though the Phoenix area is a more popular choice. No offense to those of you from Maricopa County, but I just can't stand the Valley. I would tell you why, but doing so would Roadhouse this thread. Let's just say that I am a Tucsonan at heart. I would hate it very much for the White Sox to leave the Old Pueblo.

i second your thumbs down.

TheOldRoman
04-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Is Glendale where they are building the new football stadium for the Cardinals?
Yep, right next to the new arena for the Coyotes.

Palehose13
04-18-2006, 10:56 PM
When I read the thread title from the main forum page, all I saw was Glendale, and for a brief moment, the thought of Sox spring training in Glendale, CA danced through my head.

How wonderful that would be... for me.

At either rate, I doubt the Dodgers are leaving Dogertown anytime soon. And I'd rather keep Cleveland in FL so we don't have their hitters seeing our pitchers stuff before the season.

My thought was Glendale, WI and then realized how ridiculous that would be. :redface:

jabrch
04-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I lived in Glendale for 18 months. We called it Glenhell. Terrible...

I'm sure there's a reason. Frankly, I have bigger things about this team to be concerned about than where they do ST. If ownership would rather be in the valley, for whatever reason, that's fine by me. I have no attachment to Tuscon either. Remember, we are only a few years removed from Florida anyhow.

skobabe8
04-19-2006, 12:48 AM
This subject has been talked about many a time, but how anyone can like Tuxxon over the Valley is beyond my mental capacity. More power to you, though.

That being said, I am definitely in favor of the move.

I agree. I really didnt care for Tucson too much the 3 days or so I was there. Downtown seemed like a ghost town. But I love the Valley and wished the Sox had been there when I was a resident.

wsoxfan
04-19-2006, 01:07 AM
A move to the valley would be better, Tucson sucks. Moving the team to Glendale would be pretty sweet so I'd be in favor.

chisox117
04-19-2006, 01:33 AM
I like the idea of the Sox moving to Glendale. Not only would their facility be closer to my home than any other in the Cactus League except Peoria Sports Complex (Padres, Mariners), it would mean they'd be playing nearly all of their ST games in the Valley instead of the 10 or so we get every year! Works for me.
Phoenix Metropolitan Area >>>>>>>> Tucson

:gulp:

Steelrod
04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Doesn't have to be an American League team, any team will do. I believe Cleveland signed a long term deal in Florida last year, but then again, I may be wrong! I personally hope they move. More flights, cheaper flights, more hotels, more everything! Plus TEP is a Diamondback stronghold. One trip to the gift shop will prove that the Sox are the other team!

Viva Medias B's
04-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I've been to both areas, and Tucson is better in my mind. And don't give me that "There's nothing to do in Tucson" nonsense.

Steelrod
04-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I've been to both areas, and Tucson is better in my mind. And don't give me that "There's nothing to do in Tucson" nonsense.
There's nothing to do in Tucson!

Chicken Dinner
04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
A move to the Phoenix area would be far superior to Tucson. Currently the Sox play about half of their ST games against the Dbacks and the Rockies. Glendale would add the variety of getting to play more teams. Plus Kenny, Jermaine, Paulie, and Jerry would get to go home at night without having to drive 2 hours.

MarySwiss
04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
There are a couple of other West Valley towns that are planning to get into the Spring Training act. The Republic had something in the paper today about Goodyear luring the Dodgers. And I believe that Peoria is also interested in getting a team or teams.

I have nothing against Tucson, but I love living in the Valley. And even though Glendale is a fair distance from Chandler, it's closer for me than Tucson, so from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd be thrilled with the move. Although the move I really wanted to see was when they were talking about the Sox moving to Tempe. That would have been insane--a 15-minute drive!

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :smile:

TDog
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
There are a couple of other West Valley towns that are planning to get into the Spring Training act. The Republic had something in the paper today about Goodyear luring the Dodgers. And I believe that Peoria is also interested in getting a team or teams. ...

Dodgertown in Verso Beach, Fla., is the most established spring training site in MB. I can see Goodyear trying to lure the Dodgers. I just don't see the Dodgers ever leaving Verso Beach. Frankly, I'm surprised so many teams train in Arizona now. About 15 years ago, the concern was keeping Cactus League teams from leaving for the Grapefruit League. Arizona passed laws to make it easier to keep and attract teams, but the first team to take advantage was the Padres, whose new owners moved out of Yuma (which really needed the Padres for their economy), going to the Valley.

I enjoy going to Tucson every year. I lived in Arizona for 20 years and rarely enjoyed trips to the Valley. Flights to Phoenix are cheaper -- often people fly to Sky Harbor and rent cars. But Glendale is on the other side of Phoenix and hardly convenient to the airport.

I really dislike the Phoenix area. I can see why Cubs fans like the Valley, though. There are more bars.

Bump34
04-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh yes there is... TD's!!!

maurice
04-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Since everybody's chiming in with their opinion, Tucson >>> the Valley.
Sorry, Mary.

likeawarlord
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Dodgertown in Verso Beach, Fla., is the most established spring training site in MB.
how close is that to vero beach? ;)

MarySwiss
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Since everybody's chiming in with their opinion, Tucson >>> the Valley.
Sorry, Mary.

No need to apologize; everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I'm sure I'll hear from people who prefer living in Tucson, but oddly enough, I have yet to see anyone who currently lives in the Valley and posts here say they'd rather live in Tucson. Probably because if we WANTED to live in Tucson, we could. And vice versa. Just a matter of personal taste--or lack thereof. :cool:

Fenway
04-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Parling Lot Frank needs cash and if he can get enough for Dodgertown it could happen.

His parking lots in Boston were just taken over by Rupert Murdoch as McCourt couldn't pay off the note.

What Murdoch is going to do with the land nobody has a clue

michned
04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
...Kenny, Jermaine, Paulie, and Jerry would get to go home at night without having to drive 2 hours.

But BA wouldn't get to see his folks as much...:tongue:

michned
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
No need to apologize; everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I'm sure I'll hear from people who prefer living in Tucson, but oddly enough, I have yet to see anyone who currently lives in the Valley and posts here say they'd rather live in Tucson. Probably because if we WANTED to live in Tucson, we could. And vice versa. Just a matter of personal taste--or lack thereof. :cool:
Oh, God, another Tucson vs. Phoenix border skirmish! Never thought I would see that at WSI. But it's futile to discuss because it's just a personal thing. From a resident's standpoint, there is more opportunity in Phoenix. And it's nice to not have to drive two hours to any kind of entertainment you want. From a vacationer's standpoint there is probably just as much to do in Southern AZ than there is in the Phoenix area.

But the plain truth is, as far as the Cactus League goes, Tucson is still off the beaten path. When the Phoenix teams come down to play, they usually send their AA squad. I don't see many negatives moving to Glendale. Easier to fly to, more hotel rooms. The only negative might be having to "compete" with more teams for Cactus League dollars (but I would be willing to bet most dollars are generated by the true fans of the teams, not the casual fans who live out here.

Ed

michned
04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Parling Lot Frank needs cash and if he can get enough for Dodgertown it could happen.

His parking lots in Boston were just taken over by Rupert Murdoch as McCourt couldn't pay off the note.

What Murdoch is going to do with the land nobody has a clue
And this is not the first time the Dodgers have flirted with moving to the Cactus League. A few years ago plans were in the works for a big ST complex in Marana, AZ, but talks fell through.

Steelrod
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh yes there is... TD's!!!
Never been there! What is it, a football bar?

TDog
04-19-2006, 08:05 PM
how close is that to vero beach? ;)

When you're typing fast and not proof reading or spell checking before you enter your post, it's really pretty close.

MarySwiss
04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh, God, another Tucson vs. Phoenix border skirmish! Never thought I would see that at WSI. But it's futile to discuss because it's just a personal thing. From a resident's standpoint, there is more opportunity in Phoenix. And it's nice to not have to drive two hours to any kind of entertainment you want. From a vacationer's standpoint there is probably just as much to do in Southern AZ than there is in the Phoenix area.

But the plain truth is, as far as the Cactus League goes, Tucson is still off the beaten path. When the Phoenix teams come down to play, they usually send their AA squad. I don't see many negatives moving to Glendale. Easier to fly to, more hotel rooms. The only negative might be having to "compete" with more teams for Cactus League dollars (but I would be willing to bet most dollars are generated by the true fans of the teams, not the casual fans who live out here.

Ed

OMIGOD, Ed: here speaks the voice of reason! Do you find it interesting--as I do--the many of the skirmishers are not Arizona residents? And you are right, for vacationers, there is much to do in Tucson. I usually schlepp my visitors to the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson Studios, or Tombstone.

Truth be told, Sox in Tucson vs Sox in Glendale is just not a big deal for me.

Viva Medias B's
04-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Tucson versus Phoenix is probably one of the most bitter in-state rivalries in the nation. The UA/ASU rivalry transcends this as do other things we need not mention in this forum. It was the White Sox that brought me to Tucson; it is Tucson that keeps me coming back there.

I want Mags back
04-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I hope this goes through. I have cousins in Glendale. If they put it near Glendale Arena, it will hopefully have FREE PARKING like where they play.

Etownsox13
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Tucson is only 1 1/2 to 2 hrs down the road from the valley anyways and the facility they are in down there is one of the better ones that I went to down there this year (Oakland's is the worst, and the Brewers is the hugest parking nightmare)

michned
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Never been there! What is it, a football bar?

Not exactly...:redface:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&q=td's+show+club

michned
04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Tucson versus Phoenix is probably one of the most bitter in-state rivalries in the nation. The UA/ASU rivalry transcends this as do other things we need not mention in this forum. It was the White Sox that brought me to Tucson; it is Tucson that keeps me coming back there.

People who haven't experienced it would not believe how intense the UA/ASU football game is every year!

Viva Medias B's
04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
People who haven't experienced it would not believe how intense the UA/ASU football game is every year!

In John Mackovic's first of 2 years at UA (which was 2 too many), the Territorial Cup game ended with a Wildcat victory and brawl on the field at Sun Devil Stadium.

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
My brother met his wife and was married in Tucson --- not a bad joynt; so long as you're not there in July or August. From what the business owners told me, in those months it's NOT a dry heat, but more like a 120 degrees AND humid! All the stores on the main strip outside of the University told me that they don't even open their doors until 9:00 PM. Wow can you imagine having to wait until nightfall to even go outside to buy a CD or a pair of jeans?

Great place in the winter months though (dry and 65 - 75 degrees).

As far as our complex moving to Glendale: As of now we split all of our costs 3 ways with the Rockies and D'Backs at Electric Park. This means that Glendale would have to convince Jerry et al to move without sharing the bills.

Is this possible?

I do agree that it would make it waaaaay more fun for our players and would probably be better for our martket-ablity since Glendale is a higher income community.

I was at the game last night, record thus far 2-0!
WHITE SOX FOREVER!!!

Chicken Dinner
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I hope this goes through. I have cousins in Glendale. If they put it near Glendale Arena, it will hopefully have FREE PARKING like where they play.

That won't happen.