PDA

View Full Version : MLBTV blackouts

friarhky22
04-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I ordered MLBTV thinking that I would be able to get all of the White Sox games. It turns out that my location (North central Indiana) is somehow within the White Sox blackout region. We pick up Comcast Chicago and WGN, so I get to see most of the games, but for the CSN+ and WCIU games I can't get them anywhere. Is there any way to hide my location from MLB to pick up these games, or am I SOL?

mccoydp
04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I ordered MLBTV thinking that I would be able to get all of the White Sox games. It turns out that my location (North central Indiana) is somehow within the White Sox blackout region. We pick up Comcast Chicago and WGN, so I get to see most of the games, but for the CSN+ and WCIU games I can't get them anywhere. Is there any way to hide my location from MLB to pick up these games, or am I SOL?

You're SOL.

CanBuehrleWait
04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Angry letters. Lots of angry letters. That's BS though. If you pay for MLBTV you should get all games regardless. I thought that was the idea and the allure.

EastCoastSoxFan
04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Your "location" is determined by the ZIP code of the billing address of the credit card used to pay for the subscription.
So if you have a relative or a close friend who lives somewhere else and is willing to put your subscription on their credit card and have you reimburse, then you're in business...

EastCoastSoxFan
04-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Angry letters. Lots of angry letters. That's BS though. If you pay for MLBTV you should get all games regardless. I thought that was the idea and the allure.
They explain pretty clearly on the MLBTV web site that the purpose of these webcasts is for out-of-market fans like me to be able to follow our teams in the absence of regular regional television broadcasts...

Kogs35
04-18-2006, 04:17 PM
what ive done in the past was clicked on a non chicago game let it load the click on the sox let the blackout screen come up then right click back and it usually comes up for when im in chicago and not staying at a place with a tv that has csn,wgn,or wciu

JorgeFabregas
04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure it's based on billing address. I think it's based on IP number...
I was able to watch White Sox games on our package when I was in St. Louis.

mccoydp
04-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure it's based on billing address. I think it's based on IP number...
I was able to watch White Sox games on our package when I was in St. Louis.

I do believe it is based on the address of your Internet service provider and, subsequently, the IP you've been issued.

JorgeFabregas
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
So...the moral of the story is that you might be able to access it via a proxy server. However, I know someone who's tried that and hasn't been able to get it to work. Of course, the administrators of WSI and its users would never recommend trying anything like that, as it might be illegal.

CanBuehrleWait
04-19-2006, 08:13 AM
They explain pretty clearly on the MLBTV web site that the purpose of these webcasts is for out-of-market fans like me to be able to follow our teams in the absence of regular regional television broadcasts...

Fair enough. So is it solely based on IP address? Say I do alot of bussiness travel and am out-of-market frequently. Would I be able to get the White Sox games on my account if I am in Tampa though I live in the south suburbs? That was pretty much what I was getting at.

kevingrt
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I do understand their point of blacking out the games though. They don't want to take away local tv ratings and subsequently advertising revenue. So, they have a point, it is frustrating though.

DSpivack
04-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Fair enough. So is it solely based on IP address? Say I do alot of bussiness travel and am out-of-market frequently. Would I be able to get the White Sox games on my account if I am in Tampa though I live in the south suburbs? That was pretty much what I was getting at.

Well, I pay using a card with an Evanston address, but since I am in Atlanta, I can watch the games. So if you are in Tampa, you should be able to.

And, you can check the zip code to see if you're in a blacked-out area before buying, so they do offer that.

TomBradley72
04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I do understand their point of blacking out the games though. They don't want to take away local tv ratings and subsequently advertising revenue. So, they have a point, it is frustrating though.

They need to get with the times....is anyone actually going to sit in front of their computer instead of watching a game on TV? If they need to...charge a premium to get the "blackout" games.

CallMeNuts
04-27-2006, 09:54 PM
It's definitely based on the IP address. I'm in the Chicago area and I can't see the MLB.TV version of the Sox game while I'm at home. But I've used it while travelling both in the states and overseas.