PDA

View Full Version : Career Year?

RichH55
01-23-2002, 05:06 PM
I questioned this in my mind the other day...when can you call a season a career year? Is it simply the best year to date for said player or a year that is something out of the norm for that player and unlikely to be repeated? With aguy like Bret Boone its more likely both, but using the NHL as an example would a guy like Daze be having a career year since you could reasonably expect him to put up those sort of numbers for a few years to come and its doubtful this year is his peak?

I always thought it meant the best year you could reasonably be expected to have especially regarding age ie Jeff Fasero last year....just looking for ideas

kermittheefrog
01-23-2002, 05:13 PM
I think it has to be both. If it's unlikely the player will have another season like it then how likely is it that the player has already had a season like it? And if it's not his best season to date then how special is it?

RichH55
01-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think it has to be both. If it's unlikely the player will have another season like it then how likely is it that the player has already had a season like it? And if it's not his best season to date then how special is it?

Well I'm assuming its there best year to date, but if you can expect them to at least match it if not exceed it why should it be called a career year?

MattSharp
01-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Well I'm assuming its there best year to date, but if you can expect them to at least match it if not exceed it why should it be called a career year?

I agree...

kermittheefrog
01-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

I agree...

When do you guys think there have been players who had "career years" by most opinions that should be expected to match or exceed it one year in the future?

RichH55
01-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Well I was refering to them quoting Daze as having a career year today in the Sun-Times....not baseball, but in the same neighborhood