PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Question

pmck003
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
My friend from Texas was asking me if the schedule makers have Sox home games when the cubs are out of town and vice-versa. Does anyone know if they do this?

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
My friend from Texas was asking me if the schedule makers have Sox home games when the cubs are out of town and vice-versa. Does anyone know if they do this?

There is only one game this season when both teams are in town (barring makeup games, of course). The Cubs play the Pirates the afternoon of Thursday, September 7th and the Sox play Cleveland that night.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
In the past it was a given that when one team was home the other was out of town. Today though with the additional games (162 vs. 154) and fewer off days (since they don't play DH anymore) there are times when both teams are at home and in some rare cases when both teams are out of town.

Lip

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
In the past it was a given that when one team was home the other was out of town. Today though with the additional games (162 vs. 154) and fewer off days (since they don't play DH anymore) there are times when both teams are at home and in some rare cases when both teams are out of town.

Lip

Both teams are out of town twice this year, both in September (11th and 25th, both Mondays).

TheOldRoman
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I think they tried to cut down or eliminate both teams playing on the same day. I remember a few years ago there were several days when both teams played at home, and 2 or 3 days when the Cubs played at day and the Sox at night.

The reason they tried to cut down on this, I'm guessing, is because of the Dybass incident. He was at the Urinal getting trashed all day, and came to the Cell to start problems. MLB knows that Cubs fans are drunken low-lifes, so they wan't to take away their opportunities to cause problems. On days when the Cubs played in the afternoon and the Sox at night, I'm sure there were many people who went to both games.

scottjanssens
04-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Yes, this is deliberate. The Yankees/Mets are the same way as well. It's just smart business. MLB doesn't want to compete with itself as an entertainment option. Sometimes, however, overlaps are unavoidable.

pmck003
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I think they tried to cut down or eliminate both teams playing on the same day. I remember a few years ago there were several days when both teams played at home, and 2 or 3 days when the Cubs played at day and the Sox at night.

The reason they tried to cut down on this, I'm guessing, is because of the Dybass incident. He was at the Urinal getting trashed all day, and came to the Cell to start problems. MLB knows that Cubs fans are drunken low-lifes, so they wan't to take away their opportunities to cause problems. On days when the Cubs played in the afternoon and the Sox at night, I'm sure there were many people who went to both games.

Thank you for the answers - before I thought maybe they would have Cub day games and Sox night ones, but yeah..

roylestillman
04-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Anybody else remember the year that both Opening Days were on the same day? Went to both, damn near killed me.

MERPER
04-18-2006, 02:39 PM
When the trashy father and son ran onto the field and attacked the Royals' first base coach, they were rumored to have been at Wrigley earlier in the day and had gotten so drunk there... which is what lead to them pulling the stunt...

I know their names, I just would rather not acknowledge their actual existence on this board...

RKMeibalane
04-18-2006, 02:45 PM
When the trashy father and son ran onto the field and attacked the Royals' first base coach, they were rumored to have been at Wrigley earlier in the day and had gotten so drunk there... which is what lead to them pulling the stunt...

I know their names, I just would rather not acknowledge their actual existence on this board...

Ah. Kind of like how I refer to the Sox previous right fielder as "That Other Guy Who Was Here Before."

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
There is only one game this season when both teams are in town (barring makeup games, of course). The Cubs play the Pirates the afternoon of Thursday, September 7th and the Sox play Cleveland that night.

.....and later that nite, a dozen or so fights will break out, and assklowns
will run on the field like imbeciles

Max Power
04-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm under the assumption that the schedule has been done so that one team is in town at a time for quite some time. I doubt the Dybass incident has anything to do with it.
I've done the day game at Wrigley/night game at Comiskey 5 or 6 times (including last season) and it's pretty fun- even if half the day is at Wrigley. Not many places can you see two MLB games in one day.

C-Dawg
04-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Or last year's Fan Appreciation Day - both the Cubs, Bears, and Sox were all playing at the same time (although the Cubs started much earlier and may have in fact already finished when the Sox game started up after the rain delay).

A friend of mine won tickets to all three games courtesy of the Score, but wound up not going due to the rain.

chisoxfan79
04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Or last year's Fan Appreciation Day - both the Cubs, Bears, and Sox were all playing at the same time (although the Cubs started much earlier and may have in fact already finished when the Sox game started up after the rain delay).

A friend of mine won tickets to all three games courtesy of the Score, but wound up not going due to the rain. I remember that day, didn't the Blackhawks have a pre season game at home that day also.

Railsplitter
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
It used to be a given that the Cubs and Sox wouldn't be in town at the same time. If they were, it was usually the last game of a homestand for one and the first for the other. Lately, both clubs have played three game sets at home at the same time, and I don't mean interleague.

Foulke You
04-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, this is deliberate. The Yankees/Mets are the same way as well. It's just smart business. MLB doesn't want to compete with itself as an entertainment option. Sometimes, however, overlaps are unavoidable.
This is 100% correct. MLB is going to give every single one of its teams a chance to succeed. I'm willing the bet Oakland/SF and LAA/LAD is simiar with scheduling.