PDA

View Full Version : mlb.tv question

VASoxfan1
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know how it works out in terms of which announcers end up doing the ballgame? For the most part i've been getting Dj & hawk but occassionally i get the opposite team. I grew up watching chicago teams through the eyes of the home teams sportcasters (save WGN) so i have no problem with this i was just curious.

ALso so far, the other announcers just bore me to death. HOw hard is it to find announcers that can actually add something of interest to the game.

EastCoastSoxFan
04-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know how it works out in terms of which announcers end up doing the ballgame? For the most part i've been getting Dj & hawk but occassionally i get the opposite team. I grew up watching chicago teams through the eyes of the home teams sportcasters (save WGN) so i have no problem with this i was just curious.

ALso so far, the other announcers just bore me to death. HOw hard is it to find announcers that can actually add something of interest to the game.

As a regular MLB TV watcher since it came on the web, I'm not exactly sure how they decide which television feed to broadcast. They seem to try to divide up the games as evenly as possible; I don't ever recall seeing all three or four games of a series on the same feed. It seems like they usually give the home team two out of the three games if it's a three game series.

There are some pretty sucky announcing teams out there.
The Royals and Devil Rays immediately come to mind.
Some of the better ones are the Yankees, Blue Jays, and (surprisingly), the Indians.
Minnesota's announcing team is decent, but Bert Blyleven can be a tad annoying.

None of the other teams' announcers stand out as being particularly outstanding or terrible.

And I agree that it is interesting -- once in a while -- to hear other announcers' perspectives on the Sox. For me it was especially cool to hear Harry Kalas & Larry Anderson (another of the better announcing teams in baseball) call the Sox/Phillies interleague games in '04...

oldcomiskey
04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
As a regular MLB TV watcher since it came on the web, I'm not exactly sure how they decide which television feed to broadcast. They seem to try to divide up the games as evenly as possible; I don't ever recall seeing all three or four games of a series on the same feed. It seems like they usually give the home team two out of the three games if it's a three game series.

There are some pretty sucky announcing teams out there.
The Royals and Devil Rays immediately come to mind.
Some of the better ones are the Yankees, Blue Jays, and (surprisingly), the Indians.
Minnesota's announcing team is decent, but Bert Blyleven can be a tad annoying.

None of the other teams' announcers stand out as being particularly outstanding or terrible.

And I agree that it is interesting -- once in a while -- to hear other announcers' perspectives on the Sox. For me it was especially cool to hear Harry Kalas & Larry Anderson (another of the better announcing teams in baseball) call the Sox/Phillies interleague games in '04...

Jim Kaat and Micheal Kay with new york aint bad. The ones I dont like are Tampa Bay(Dwayne Staats) and the guys from Seattle and KC. and BTW Harry Kalas always put me to sleep ala Vin Scully

NDSox12
04-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Jim Kaat and Micheal Kay with new york aint bad. The ones I dont like are Tampa Bay(Dwayne Staats) and the guys from Seattle and KC. and BTW Harry Kalas always put me to sleep ala Vin Scully
You just nailed my three least favorite AL TV broadcast teams as well (Tampa, Seattle and KC).

On the positive side, I think the Indians, Tigers, Red Sox and Yankees all have pretty solid broadcasters.

EDIT: Although I don't watch many NL games, I've got to give props to the Nationals new team of Bob Carpenter and our old friend Tom Paciorek as well.

gbergman
04-18-2006, 11:53 PM
it depends on sat. one guy on chat had the toronto feed whiole i had the chicago feed i think it depends where you live. i have only had 1 non chisox team in 9 games

DSpivack
04-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Watching Monday I turned it on in the middle of the game and it was the KC feed. I clicked the link again randomly and it switched to the Sox feed. :?:

Fuller_Schettman
04-19-2006, 02:57 AM
I think the Yankees team may be the best out there. I also like the fellas from the Tigers, Mario Something and the other guy.

gbergman
04-19-2006, 03:17 AM
I think the Yankees team may be the best out there. I also like the fellas from the Tigers, Mario Something and the other guy.
the yankee guys annoy the hell out of me

EastCoastSoxFan
04-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah, Harry Kalas is getting older and probably can't sustain the level of energy he used to have; but his home run call ("...and it's OUTTA HEEERRREEE!!!!) is a classic. And Larry Anderson has his "likeable wiseass" shtick down pretty well...

Black Jack 29
04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Speaking of mlb.tv, does anyone know if they've rolled out MLB Mosaic yet where you can keep tabs on six games on one screen? The website says that this was to be unveiled in mid-April. Maybe I'm not looking for it in the right place, but does anyone have any info on this?

John

MarySwiss
04-22-2006, 10:58 AM
I also have a question; how do you access the archived games? Wth the format last year, it was right in front of you, but with this format, I've looked all over the place and I can't figure it out. Fortunately I haven't had a reason to do it yet, but I'm sure I will at some point, so it'd be good to know how.

Thanks in advance.

walrus
04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I just moved up to Minneapolis and have watched a bunch of Twins games. I didn't like the crew at first, but I've grown to like them.

During last night's game they spoke very favorably of the Sox. I think Bert, like Hawk, is an acquired taste, but I enjoy that he's kind of kooky.

The Indians crew is also very good, and yeah, the KC crew sucks.

I can't tolerate the Red Sox guys because one of them has an accent that drives me up a wall. Dude sounds like Peter Griffin.

As far as the Yankees go, they're not bad-- EXCEPT for that home run call. "SEE YA!" drives me nuts.

Corlose 15
04-22-2006, 11:00 AM
If you're interested in a snoozefest tune into the Blue Jays broadcast. Talk about boring.