PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/18/06

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 09:04 AM
The SOX do some major catching up today, very nice to see. I was very much expecting Maddux to be on the cover, with some sort of headline with the word GEM in it (okay, the word GEM was used) This is more like it, the SOX are able to gain some ground. And they looked excellent yesterday too.
Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
6 sox stories
Standings as of Tuesday April 18th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 2005 Cubs 267
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 238

Jurr
04-18-2006, 09:13 AM
The SOX do some major catching up today, very nice to see. I was very much expecting Maddux to be on the cover, with some sort of headline with the word GEM in it (okay, the word GEM was used) This is more like it, the SOX are able to gain some ground. And they looked excellent yesterday too.
Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
6 sox stories
Standings as of Tuesday April 18th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 2005 Cubs 267
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 238
The Sox also got some national pub with the hair and the water slide issues! Could it be a turnaround? ......nah.

CaptainBallz
04-18-2006, 09:31 AM
The Sox also got some national pub with the hair and the water slide issues! Could it be a turnaround? ......nah.

Good to see the national coverage is for the right reasons...:rolleyes:

pcp1960
04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Conan O'Brien was at the Cell Yesterday afternoon. I guess he will be doing something on the Sox when his show comes here next month.

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Conan O'Brien was at the Cell Yesterday afternoon. I guess he will be doing something on the Sox when his show comes here next month.

I could have sworn I saw Cal Ripken talking to Hawk and DJ in the booth. I didn't have the best view though.

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 09:39 AM

He was there? Well of course the masses wont know this, because the Media simply wont tell us.

daveeym
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I could have sworn I saw Cal Ripken talking to Hawk and DJ in the booth. I didn't have the best view though.He was, he was hawking a book or something. DJ was sucking up to him pretty well. "I know all this stuff about you from memory Cal."

mccoydp
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM

Agreed. It would have been nice if the major news outlets focused on the superb one-hitter that Contreras et. al. threw last night (and the 9-run Sox offense), instead of making it a secondary story to the haircut drama.

But, as you know, we Sox fans can't be choosy.

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Ozzie was interviewed during their 5-minute segment on PTI yesterday.

pcp1960
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Conan was doing something with Dye. I can't believe that it wasn't mentioned in the papers today. I should have known better. It just goes on and on.

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Conan was doing something with Dye. I can't believe that it wasn't mentioned in the papers today. I should have known better. It just goes on and on.

Thanks for the info. It took pcp1960 to tell SOX fans about this, while the SunTimes and Trib drops the ball.

Dan Mega
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Ozzie was interviewed during their 5-minute segment on PTI yesterday.

I saw that too. Even though Wilbon is a Flubs fan and Kornheiser is a NY guy, I think they are both really fair to the White Sox.

miker
04-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I saw that too. Even though Wilbon is a Flubs fan and Kornheiser is a NY guy, I think they are both really fair to the White Sox.
It's sad when "fair" means "doesn't attack like others sports media-types do".

Oh well, I've gotten used to it.

maurice
04-18-2006, 11:56 AM
FWIW, Anderson's diving catch was a Web Gem.

IlliniSox
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Hangar, I wouldn't give too much credit here, The Flub game ended late on the west coast. If they played a 2pm home game, the Trib might have had enough time for a special commemorative Maddux' 321st win section.

daveeym
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Hangar, I wouldn't give too much credit here, The Flub game ended late on the west coast. If they played a 2pm home game, the Trib might have had enough time for a special commemorative Maddux' 321st win section.True, but in the past you never saw this descrepency unless the Sox were on the West Coast, so it is an improvement. Mr. Knue would be here pointing out how the Sox were on the West Coast but the week before when the flubbies were on the WC they'd still get more coverage.

jdm2662
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Hangar, I wouldn't give too much credit here, The Flub game ended late on the west coast. If they played a 2pm home game, the Trib might have had enough time for a special commemorative Maddux' 321st win section.

What's the over/under when the Sox go on the West Coast on how many rants Hangar will make because the Cubs are getting more press.

rwcescato
04-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I could have sworn I saw Cal Ripken talking to Hawk and DJ in the booth. I didn't have the best view though.

He could have been there for the xm radio show he has.