PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede: The ultimate complete ball player!

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Joe Crede is turning into the ultimate complete ball player. His hitting serves as a warning to low-flying aircraft. He's become a good hitter over the years, and I like how patient he is at the plate--moreso this year and the second half of last year. His leather speaks for himself concerning the other aspect of the game. In addition, he is everything but selfish.

I definitely am a FOJC and think he deserves major props in his developing into an all-around complete ball player. He has just about everything you could want in a ball player.

ThirdBaseman
04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Man, this is my kind of thread!! Go Joe!! And yes I hope he does even better than he did last year!

Chisox003
04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Ohh how times have changed...

PAPChiSox729
04-17-2006, 09:31 PM

Hahahaha. So wait, how has Josh Fields been doing?

Joosh
04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
ESPN was doing a piece on the walk-off homerun from Pujouls, and they had a list of who had hit the most of active ballplayers. Crede was tied for second with five.

I knew he had hit some, but never really realized that he had five. And I would imagine we can count on more in the future.

Go Joe!:cool:

MarySwiss
04-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Joe Crede is turning into the ultimate complete ball player. His hitting serves as a warning to low-flying aircraft. He's become a good hitter over the years, and I like how patient he is at the plate--moreso this year and the second half of last year. His leather speaks for himself concerning the other aspect of the game. In addition, he is everything but selfish.

I definitely am a FOJC and think he deserves major props in his developing into an all-around complete ball player. He has just about everything you could want in a ball player.
You are SOOO right! As I said in a ST thread, he was hitting ropes. Watch out for him bigtime!

Timmy D's
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
ESPN was doing a piece on the walk-off homerun from Pujouls, and they had a list of who had hit the most of active ballplayers. Crede was tied for second with five.

I knew he had hit some, but never really realized that he had five. And I would imagine we can count on more in the future.

Go Joe!:cool:

Yeah, I saw that last night. Was thinkin' he just missed another walk off when AJ stole 1st, by a foot, on his game winning hit.

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
"Only 2 of those walkoffs count because they didn't change the final standings of the year."

Seriously though, too bad they couldn't get him signed to a multiyear deal before the season because it looks like he is going to get paid bigtime this fall...

CLR01
04-17-2006, 09:46 PM
It's just a shame it will all come to an end now that JR told him to cut his hair.:(:

Britt Burns
04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I was a Crede doubter last year...not anymore. If he was a Yankee or Red Sox and had the postseason he did for us last year their would be songs written about him and streets named in his honor. He was awesome-hitting, fielding, everything. Clutch. It's nice to see it has carried over to this year...

MrRoboto83
04-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Tell me about it, I got sick of how many people got so down on Joe over the last few seasons.

Chisox003
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I was a Crede doubter last year...not anymore. If he was a Yankee or Red Sox and had the postseason he did for us last year their would be songs written about him and streets named in his honor. He was awesome-hitting, fielding, everything. Clutch. It's nice to see it has carried over to this year...
Someone said it last year with Uribe, same goes for Crede....

If they were on the Yankees, the whole world would know them.

Instead they're ours. Best defensive 3B/SS combo in baseball. :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Clutch.

That too! What is there about his game that isn't good?

Perhaps we FINALLY have that person who might be able to be mentioned in the same breath as Robin Ventura in a couple of years (I shudder when I think of names like Chris Snopek and the likes).

CLR01
04-17-2006, 10:25 PM
That too! What is there about his game that isn't good?

Perhaps we FINALLY have that person who might be able to be mentioned in the same breath as Robin Ventura in a couple of years (I shudder when I think of names like Chris Snopek and the likes).

You're not a fan of the milkman? :smile:

chidonez
04-17-2006, 10:38 PM
So, he's a ninja?!

Corlose 15
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Joe Crede hit arguably the most important HR in Sox history against the Indians.

It look as though the adjustments he made with Walker last fall have finally put things in line for him. A good year from Crede makes this lineup all the more dangerous.

esbrechtel
04-17-2006, 10:56 PM
joe is a great player and i am worried with his continued success how long he is going to be on the southside :whiner: with boras as his agent i hope he sticks around.....

Ol' No. 2
04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
"Only 2 of those walkoffs count because they didn't change the final standings of the year."

Seriously though, too bad they couldn't get him signed to a multiyear deal before the season because it looks like he is going to get paid bigtime this fall...I was wondering how long before the first shoota reference.:D:

Crede has only 3+ years of service time. (It does seem longer, doesn't it?) He won't be FA-eligible until after 2008.

SoxFan76
04-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Talk about under the radar, he has 11 RBI.

mmmmmbeeer
04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I think last year's postseason did wonders for Joe's confidence. I also think that a couple of guys named AJ and Aaron did wonders for Joe's comfort level. Now we're finally going to get to see what all the hype surrounding this guy was all about.

Joe Crede '06 stats -- .284/29/91 w/ 3sb and a gold glove

Tragg
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Tell me about it, I got sick of how many people got so down on Joe over the last few seasons.
No kidding.

But get ready for 2 or so years of it re Brian Anderson; as he excels in the field and learns how to hit, the whining will be non-stop and pictures of any number of injured, mediocre, stiff CFs will be posted in a sox cap.

Corlose 15
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
No kidding.

But get ready for 2 or so years of it re Brian Anderson; as he excels in the field and learns how to hit, the whining will be non-stop and pictures of any number of injured, mediocre, still CFs will be posted in a sox cap.

I can't wait.:rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2006, 11:20 PM
You're not a fan of the milkman? :smile:

I liked Herbert Perry; but, he should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as Ventura. Crede might be able to be in a couple of years if this continues.

California Sox
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Crede certainly does look good at the plate. I had a feeling he was going to have a nice year after I saw him get four hits in a spring game. (I thought he and McCarthy were the most impressive guys I saw.) The most amazing thing is how far down his strikeouts are this year. He's always been one of my favorites and I'm happy for him.

As far as Fields is concerned, he's tearing up AAA. Two third basemen. Not a bad problem to have. I'm sure KW will figure out how to handle that.

Bobbo35
04-18-2006, 08:08 AM

Besides Paulie at 1st base, which in the past has been a good defensive 1st baseman I would say we have the best 3rd, SS and 2nd base combo in the league hands down.

Crede just needs to keep the confidence up at the plate and he will be great this year.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM

He looks like he knows he belongs here now. He just seems more confident and I guess that comes with the territory when you're producing with the bat. But I think his performance from September on really did a lot for him. He looks like a different player with the bat, let's hope that continues. What a big bonus to this lineup that would be.

Madvora
04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Joe Crede hit arguably the most important HR in Sox history against the Indians.
Well, he won the game, but we still would have won the division even if we lost the game.
It was definitely a very important regular season home run, but look to Podsednik's game 2 shot as the most important or PK's grand slam.

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
When will the Joe Crede experiment end?

Seriously, though, he looks more confident now, especially at the plate. The guy seems to have truly broken out of whatever shell he was in before.

This is what needs to happen for Anderson. It pisses me off that so-called Sox "fans" are already booing Anderson. He seems to be in the same position Crede was in the past: making most of his plays defensively, but uncomfortable at the plate. Crede seemed to benefit from his relationships with AJ and Rowand so hopefully a couple guys will take Anderson under their wings and help him turn things around.

Madvora
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Crede seemed to benefit from his relationships with AJ and Rowand so hopefully a couple guys will take Anderson under their wings and help him turn things around.
It looked like Anderson was buddies with Rowand.
I don't think we'll have anything to worry about with that. This team is pretty tight knit, plus Anderson has been playing with these guys in spring training for a few years already as well as the end of last season. I think he should be pretty comfortable.

Rocky Soprano
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Joe Crede is by far my favorite player. When I grow up I want to have my hair like his. :D:

hawkjt
04-18-2006, 11:39 AM
It is great to see the tide turn for Joe as he is justifying the few of us that have defended him over the years.

Hope the back problems that he suffered from last year are in the past now.
His body language screams World Series Swagger now. And I luv it.

TheOldRoman
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, he won the game, but we still would have won the division even if we lost the game.
It was definitely a very important regular season home run, but look to Podsednik's game 2 shot as the most important or PK's grand slam.
Well on paper we finished with a 6 game lead over the Indians. However, that win changed the season. If we lost that night, the lead was down to 1 1/2 games. We lost the 8-0 the next night, so the lead would have been down to a half game when Cleveland left town. I don't think we would have held on to the division if we lost that game.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Well on paper we finished with a 6 game lead over the Indians. However, that win changed the season. If we lost that night, the lead was down to 1 1/2 games. We lost the 8-0 the next night, so the lead would have been down to a half game when Cleveland left town. I don't think we would have held on to the division if we lost that game.

Yeah it was definitely an important home run and an important game, but that's really just speculation on what could've happened. Truthfully, I don't think there was any way we were losing the division even if Cleveland swept us in that series.

maurice
04-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Crede has been very good defensively for a long time, but the Sox spent years trying to get him to re-work his swing. It finally clicked when he returned from his back injury late last year and the rest is history.

Fields also improved his swing recently and has been raking since spring training. He still needs some work on his D, though.

QCIASOXFAN
04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I could not have put it better myself.

doublem23
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I love Joe Crede like a fat kid loves cake, but he'll never be more than #2 in my heart...

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/ventura91si-1.jpg

Ol' No. 2
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
This Joe Crede love-fest cracks me up. It reminds me of 1974 when you couldn't find ANYONE who voted for Richard Nixon.:cool:

scottjanssens
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I liked Herbert Perry; but, he should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as Ventura. Crede might be able to be in a couple of years if this continues.
For fun, let's compare Crede and Ventura numbers:

Crede put up Ventura type fielding numbers last season with a RATE2 of 110 (Brooks Robinson lifetime = 106, Ventura lifetime = 108). This brought Crede's lifetime up to 100, but a few more seasons like last year and his lifetime will shoot up quickly as last season was only his 3rd full season. I see no reason to think this won't be the case.

I'd need to see more offensive production from him, especially OBP, before I'd call Crede a complete ballplayer.

Ventura .267/.362/.444/.806
Crede .255/.303/.439/.742

Crede has always been a streaky hitter. He started out last season red hot before slumping through most of the summer. How much of that was due to his back is unknown, but it seems to me his slump started before the injury. I'd like to see him be more selective at the plate. Over his career he's walked once every 17 at bats (compared to Ventura's once every 7 at bats).

Crede's eye looks a little better this season and he's back to a shorter stroke. If these are permanent and not another streak then there's plenty of good things in store for him. But I think it's a bit premature to seriously compare Crede to Ventura. (Not that you were.)

slobes
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I love Joe Crede like a fat kid loves cake, but he'll never be more than #2 in my heart...

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/ventura91si-1.jpg

Ah man you beat me to it. You can never have enough compliments about Robin.

maurice
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
This Joe Crede love-fest cracks me up.

Especially when read in conjunction with the Rowand love fest in the other thread. Quite a contrast with hundreds of previous threads. The Cotts critics are pretty silent lately, too.

I imagine we'll have the same reaction to Anderson love threads in the coming years or months.

Cuck the Fubs
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
:worship: Sweet swingin Robin Ventura :worship:

Although, I must admit, I love Crede....now it's time to honor him with a jersey to go along with my Ventura one:D:

scottjanssens
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
The Cotts critics are pretty silent lately, too.

Probably because Cotts has only pitched once in the last 10 days.

DaleJRFan
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM

Ya know, I was gabbing with my Dad about this on Sunday... We both used to dread Joe's ABs and we are now two of the biggest FOJC. He has really turned into, arguably, the best "total player" on the Sox.

He can hit for power in the gaps and hit homers. He makes contact and doesn't K a lot. Despite his lack of speed, he never makes mistakes on the bases. He plays the best third base defense in MLB. What else can you possibly ask for out of a player?

Looking up and down the Sox roster in terms of raw numbers so far this season, Joe is the third best hitter behind Konerko and Thome (although a strong argument can be made for Iguchi as well). He's third in homers, rbis. He's forth in hits and first in doubles, third in total bases, forth in runs scored, and of the starting 9, has the fewest strike outs.

This guy can play.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I've always liked Joe for his defense, but I never thought much of his offense until recently. I considered myself a fringe member of FOJC before last season, but now I'm on board. In the ninth inning of ALCS Game 2, I turned to my friends (who aren't die-hard Sox fans) and said that Joe was the best person to have at the plate in that situation. When he went in the hole 0-2, I began to get worried, but he proved me right in the end. There was a sign in the crowd that said "Captain Clutch", and I've been referring to him that way ever since.

I got a Crede World Series jersey -- my first Sox jersey of any kind -- for Christmas. Now I just hope he stays with the team. I would have preferred to see a multi-year contract. I just hope that KW doesn't get scared off by Bora$$ and the high price that Joe will probably get. I think he is an important part of the team, even if only for his defense, and I don't want to see him go.

SoxFan33
04-18-2006, 03:22 PM

I Second that! :gulp:

TDog
04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
ESPN was doing a piece on the walk-off homerun from Pujouls, and they had a list of who had hit the most of active ballplayers. Crede was tied for second with five....

It isn't just the game-ending home runs, as dramatic as they are. I've been to games in Chicago that Crede ended with hits that stayed in the park. Of course, Game 2 of the ALCS ended with a Crede double.

The first time I saw Crede was in an exhibition game against the Cubs in 1999 in Tucson. He ended it with a double. Even when Crede wasn't hitting consistently, he was getting big hits.