PDA

View Full Version : Important homestand here...

batmanZoSo
04-17-2006, 12:12 PM
This is taken from the Sun-Times (http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep17.html) today.

Victories against Central opponents is the Sox' first priority, both Guillen and general manager Ken Williams have said. The Sox were a commanding 52-22 against the Central last year, helping offset a 15-26 mark against the AL West. The Sox were 20-13 against the AL East and 12-6 against the National League.

So far, not off to a stellar start against the divison. We have two series here against KC and MIN to turn it around. Yes, I know it's very early, but last year by the time we had 4 ALC losses, we had about 25 wins in such contests. And no, I don't expect that kind of domination, but we still have to dominate somewhat. Either that or do a whole lot better against the AL West. And I'll believe that when I see it.

cbotnyse
04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I dont think its ever too early to pick up wins in the division.....I agree we need to take care of KC and Min since they seem to be a little less of a problem than Detroit and Cleveland at the moment..

Ol' No. 2
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Do wins against KC count for more than wins against other teams?:?:

Dan Mega
04-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Games against divisional opponents count more than games versus any other team in the league.

Iwritecode
04-17-2006, 12:25 PM

Kind of...

The more we when against them the less of a chance they have from taking the division crown from us. Same with Cleveland, Minnesota & Detriot.

It's more apparant at the end of the year when you're counting down the magic #. Wins against the second place team reduce it by 2. Wins against anyone else only guarantees it to be reduced by 1...

batmanZoSo
04-17-2006, 12:31 PM

No, but they're a lot weaker than other teams and we get a lot of shots at them.

I would be disappointed if we didn't sweep them here. Or at least don't give games away like they did last time. If someone throws a gem against us, you tip your cap--they are major leaguers after all. But you just gotta take care of business against KC, that's paramount.

Ol' No. 2
04-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Kind of...

The more we when against them the less of a chance they have from taking the division crown from us. Same with Cleveland, Minnesota & Detriot.

It's more apparant at the end of the year when you're counting down the magic #. Wins against the second place team reduce it by 2. Wins against anyone else only guarantees it to be reduced by 1...H2H games matter against your main rivals. It's important to beat the Indians and Twins (maybe). But I don't think there's much chance the Royals will take the division crown from us. It's just another game against a weak team. Being a divisional team is irrelevant.

spiffie
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
H2H games matter against your main rivals. It's important to beat the Indians and Twins (maybe). But I don't think there's much chance the Royals will take the division crown from us. It's just another game against a weak team. Being a divisional team is irrelevant.
I would say it is important simply due to the fact that our more "important" division rivals will be taking the same shots at KC. With the unbalanced schedule, it is extremely important to rack up the wins against the weakest team(s) in your division, since your main rivals are likely to do the same. Not doing well against Oakland while Cleveland does well against them would theoretically be a swing of maybe 1-2 games at most. CLE owning KC while we struggle to play .500 against them could be a 6-7 game swing possibly. If we can dominate the weak ALC team (this year there is only the one I would say), that removes one very large chance for CLE to gain ground on us in non head-to-head matchups.

kingpin_rcs
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
The Sox played pretty well in Anahiem last time they were there. :cool: