PDA

View Full Version : Who's better than this guy at shortstop?

TheOldRoman
04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I watched Sportscenter last night, and had to laugh when they were kissing Derek Jeter's ass. He made a routine can-of-corn play last night in which he fielded a ball about a foot to his right and threw from his knees to first. The ESPN stooge probably needed to change his undies after watching it, as he exclaimed "Wow. Who is better than this guy at shortstop?" I thought we should make a list.

Who is better than Derek Jeter at shortstop (defensively)?

Juan Uribe
Carlos Guillen
Jhonny Peralta
Alex Gonzalez (Red Sox)
Julio Lugo
Miguel Tejada
Bobby Crosby
Orlando Cabrera
Michael Young
Edgar Renteria
Jack Wilson
Raphael Furcal
Caesar Izturis
Omar Vizquel
ALEX RODRIGUEZ

Wow. I counted 15, including one on his own team who switched positions so he didn't hurt Jeter's pride. Did I miss anyone?

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2006, 12:15 PM
You can't rank shortstops or any other position by just using half (defensive/offensive) of their skills. Kind of like saying who is the best putter or driver in golf? It doesn't make any difference unless it's an entire package.

Chez
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Gotta disagree with you on this one. I'll take Jeter as my shortstop any day of the week. Plus, he dates supermodels.

goofymsfan
04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I like Yuniesky Betancourt at shortstop over Jeter any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Bill Almon

palehozenychicty
04-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Ozzie circa 88-92.

TheOldRoman
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Gotta disagree with you on this one. I'll take Jeter as my shortstop any day of the week. Plus, he dates supermodels.
I'm not saying his isn't a good hitter. As a GM, you would have to weigh both sides - is it more important for me to have a .310 hitter playing shortstop, or do I need better than average defense. If you are taking Jeter, I am guessing it is based solely on his offense, because he is horrible defensively.

PaulDrake
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Bill Almon Yikes! :?:

tebman
04-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Alan Bannister

Madvora
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Did I miss anyone?
Defensively - Royce Clayton

Chez
04-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm not saying his isn't a good hitter. As a GM, you would have to weigh both sides - is it more important for me to have a .310 hitter playing shortstop, or do I need better than average defense. If you are taking Jeter, I am guessing it is based solely on his offense, because he is horrible defensively.

Understood. But if I'm a GM and I'm looking for a one-year shortstop, I'll take Jeter over any of the other guys on your list.

spawn
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Mike Caruso

booneasu21
04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
What about the great Alex Cintron? This guy has done nothing but impress me this year!

drewcifer
04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
As a GM, you would have to weigh both sides - is it more important for me to have a .310 hitter playing shortstop, or do I need better than average defense.

If you're Brian Cashman justifying a $200M payroll and you have that for pitching, you damn well better believe you need a .310 hitter playing SS....

and 3rd....
and 1st.....
a few in the outfield....

maurice
04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Ways to make the ESPN highlights:
(1) Play for Boston or NY, or
(2) Fall down while making a play.*

* It doesn't matter if you fell down because you ran the wrong way, or because you have the range of a fire hydrant and anybody else would have made the play standing up.

TheOldRoman
04-17-2006, 03:51 PM
If you're Brian Cashman justifying a $200M payroll and you have that for pitching, you damn well better believe you need a .310 hitter playing SS....

and 3rd....
and 1st.....
a few in the outfield....
That is true. However, for the $20 million Jeter makes a year, and the hype he recieves, I expect a great fielder who can hit for average and probably put up 30-40 homers a year. Of course, the best all around shortstop in baseball is playing third base for the Yankees.
My point being, I would take Tejada over Jeter any day of the week. He is better offensively and defensively.

Taliesinrk
04-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Jordana Brewster is unbelievable.. unreal..

D. TODD
04-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Jeter is an elite shortstop period in my opinion. The amount of money he gets paid is not important to me, and he does get a bit too much love from the media, but this doesn't change the fact that he is a difference maker and easily top three at his position in the majors. I like Juan Uribe & Carlos Guillen, but they come up well short compared to Derek Jeter when it comes to an all around shortstop. Claiming at least 15 better shortstops is just Yankee hatred clouding your vision.

TheOldRoman
04-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Jeter is an elite shortstop period in my opinion. The amount of money he gets paid is not important to me, and he does get a bit too much love from the media, but this doesn't change the fact that he is a difference maker and easily top three at his position in the majors. I like Juan Uribe & Carlos Guillen, but they come up well short compared to Derek Jeter when it comes to an all around shortstop. Claiming at least 15 better shortstops is just Yankee hatred clouding your vision.
Once again, I was not talking about a complete package. I was talking about shortstops' DEFENSE alone. Yes, Jeter is a very good hitter. More importantly, he is very clutch. However, he blows in the field.

DSpivack
04-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Jeter may be a clutch hitter, but he is below average defensively, and altogether isn't that good of a hitter. If he's putting up the .330-.400-.500 lines he was in the late 90s, then yes he's a fantastic hitter and a great leadoff guy, adding in 20-30 SBs. But the last couple years he's been a .300 hitter, no slouch but certainly not the height of his career (I say this and he's all of 32).

A-Rod is light years ahead of him offensively, and is above average-to-gold glove quality defensively. Why make the comparison? Because Jeter is making close to $20 million per year, and in that sense might the most overpaid and overrated player in baseball.

chaerulez
04-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Once again, I was not talking about a complete package. I was talking about shortstops' DEFENSE alone. Yes, Jeter is a very good hitter. More importantly, he is very clutch. However, he blows in the field.

Yes, I agree with you, in terms of defense I'd rank him in at least the bottom 10 of the league compared to the rest of the starting SS in baseball. The fact that he won a gold glove is a joke. Maybe he doesn't commit a lot of errors, but I think the fact that he doesn't get to a lot of balls in the first place has a lot to do with that.

drewcifer
04-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Jeter is pretty much average from a fielding perspective. I was just looking at his zone rate, range factor, and FP numbers over the last 3 seasons and he's pretty consistently average overall across the bigs.

FP fluctuates from top 1/4 to nearly dead last, RF up one year, down the next, while the reverse happens with his FP....

But he's certainly moving downward year to year.

And as far as attempts, he's actually getting MORE balls since A-Rod came to NY, so that's not the reason for his mediocrity.

Overall, he's really nothing special defensively speaking until you look back about 7-8 years.

cbotnyse
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
This discussion made me think of Uribe's play in the 9th inning of the World Series last year (diving in the stands)..........I think this is the most underrated defensive play in a World Series ever........can you imagine if Jeter made this play??? He'd be immortalized by ESPN and have a bronze statue at every stadium in the country!!!

SoxEd
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Defensively - Royce Clayton

Ouch!