PDA

View Full Version : so much for the long hair

my5thbench
04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
AJ was just on the Score with North, he said Kenny Williams was called into Reinsdorf's office, he was nervous it may have to do with something he had said to the media, but no it was about the player's appearances. He said he didn't intend to be as strict as the Yankees, however he didn't want his team looking as bad as the Red Sox..........so Pierzynski & Crede were told to get haircuts. He wasn't sure but he thought that Garcia & Cotts may have gotten the same order.

AJ said he was ok with it, he was planning on getting it cut as his wife had been on him for a couple of weeks about his hair & he felt that he had already won his longest hair bet with Crede.

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 11:09 AM
AJ was just on the Score with North, he said Kenny Williams was called into Reinsdorf's office, he was nervous it may have to do with something he had said to the media, but no it was about the player's appearances. He said he didn't intend to be as strict as the Yankees, however he didn't want his team looking as bad as the Red Sox..........so Pierzynski & Crede were told to get haircuts. He wasn't sure but he thought that Garcia & Cotts may have gotten the same order.

AJ said he was ok with it, he was planning on getting it cut as his wife had been on him for a couple of weeks about his hair & he felt that he had already won his longest hair bet with Crede.

First the tarp sliding and now this? That's it, I'm not supporting this team anymore!

:rolleyes:

skottyj242
04-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Does this mean I have to cut mine too?

Madvora
They're going to have to give up that Mullet Night promotion.

- I have feeling this thread is going to be nothing but one-liner jokes.

Uncle_Patrick
First the tarp sliding and now this? That's it, I'm not supporting this team anymore!

Get ready for an 8 page thread on whether or not the players should have to cut their hair.

PaleHosed
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM

If AJ's cool with it I'm cool with it, but please, enough with trying to squash my team's personality!

palehozenychicty
04-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Guess that Crede's going to turn into Samson with the bat now......

BNLSox
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't like the front office messing with the team... They better be making sure that its not getting TOO business like around there... Stop worrying about tarps and haircuts and start worrying about our left and center fielder joining the rest of the team on base JR.

jenn2080
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok so it is completely dumb...but who cares. Cut that nasty mullet!!!!!!! This shouldnt be a 10 page thread about a haircut!!!!

The Dude
04-17-2006, 11:36 AM
What a joke! Why does the front office care if a player has a little shaggy look or not? I think this only pisses off the players because they feel they cant look the way they want. If we made a rule before the season as the Yankees have, then this is justified. Now that being said, it isnt that big of a deal, but its just plain ridiculous.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Ok so it is completely dumb...but who cares. Cut that nasty mullet!!!!!!! This shouldnt be a 10 page thread about a haircut!!!!

You're new here, aren't you?

:wink:

Hangar18
04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't like the front office messing with the team... They better be making sure that its not getting TOO business like around there... Stop worrying about tarps and haircuts and start worrying about our left and center fielder joining the rest of the team on base JR.

I agree. thats a bit excessive ................

SoxEd
04-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I am truly shocked that the Sox' front office should order the team to cut its hair - after all - to do so would just alienate the core of Sox fandom, with their Mullets and wifebeaters - no?

[Does anyone think pontifications like the one above could get me a job in the Chicago media?]

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2006, 11:48 AM
They aren't really mullets. A mullet is business in the front, and a party in the back. What Crede and AJ have is just long hair... Sorry, just a little pet peeve.

Walker29
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't get much facial hair growth so even after 2 or 3 days it doesn't look like I'm trying to grow a beard, it just looks like i haven't shaved in 2 or 3 days. I got a slap on the wrist from by boss and understand the importance of presenting a professional image. For crying out loud, AJ was starting to look the kid from "Hanson" and Crede looked like his hair was attacking him. I don't think a trip to Sportclips is going to hurt either one of them. Playoff beards and mullets are a whole different story.

skottyj242
04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't get much facial hair growth so even after 2 or 3 days it doesn't look like I'm trying to grow a beard, it just looks like i haven't shaved in 2 or 3 days. I got a slap on the wrist from by boss and understand the importance of presenting a professional image. For crying out loud, AJ was starting to look the kid from "Hanson" and Crede looked like his hair was attacking him. I don't think a trip to Sportclips is going to hurt either one of them. Playoff beards and mullets are a whole different story.

You joined in April of 2004 and this was your first post?

Edward
04-17-2006, 11:58 AM

I thought the same exact thing.

0o0o0
04-17-2006, 11:59 AM
He was waiting 2 years for a thread on long hair.:D:

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 12:09 PM
For crying out loud, AJ was starting to look the kid from "Hanson" and Crede looked like his hair was attacking him.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Both their hair looked sweet though. I especially liked Crede's hair when he put his batting helmet on. The right side of his hair would go straight out, and then left side, under the part of the helmet which protects the ear, would press his left side hair in. It looked fantasic.

Steelrod
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Watch, his hair will end up on Ebay!

peeonwrigley
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
This is ridiculous. This is the owner that let Rodman do whatever the hell it was he did, and now AJ and Crede need haircuts? Whatever.:rolleyes:

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
AJ is being paid 5 mil a year and Crede is in a contract year so I guess uncle Jerry can do what he wants.

Jerko
04-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Damn, I'm not going tonight now. If MB can't slide on the tarp and AJ and Crede can't look like girls, I mean, where's all the fun?

IlliniSox4Life
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
This is really weird, and I feel responsible. You see, I hadn't cut my hair for a really long time, and it was getting longer than it had ever been before. (Same with my beard). During Spring Training, I noticed a lot of the Sox players had long hair (Aj, Crede, Jenks at the time (at least for him)). I decided to let it grow out even more. However, yesterday I went to get a haircut for no reason and my beard trimmed too. Then I find out this happens?! I'm sorry guys, I didn't know what I was doing.

DachnoPiitu
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by IlliniSox4Life
yesterday I went to get a haircut for no reason and my beard trimmed too.

Yea my hair is really long and my beard was friggin huge. I trimmed off over 4 inches and now this. GO SOX!

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
If AJ's cool with it I'm cool with it, but please, enough with trying to squash my team's personality!

Your team's?

When did you buy the team from JR?

Isn't the whole concept of Team to put down your personality, subjugate it for the good of the whole?

What is that old saying?

There is no I in team (but if you rearrange the letters from teammate, you can still spell teammate...):rolleyes:

A. Cavatica
04-17-2006, 01:11 PM
I find it hard to believe JR would tamper with team chemistry after these guys win the Series and begin to establish a national identity. Telling MB not to do something that might get him hurt is one thing. Telling players how to wear their hair is another.

If this is true, it's massively stupid. Players who like playing for the organization are more likely to stick around for the long term, even if it means taking a hometown discount. Players who are having fun, who have unique personalities, who have long tenures in the city, and who the public can identify with are more marketable.

spiffie
04-17-2006, 01:12 PM
The injury risks of long hair make this totally understandable.

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I find it hard to believe JR would tamper with team chemistry after these guys win the Series and begin to establish a national identity. Telling MB not to do something that might get him hurt is one thing. Telling players how to wear their hair is another.

If this is true, it's massively stupid. Players who like playing for the organization are more likely to stick around for the long term, even if it means taking a hometown discount. Players who are having fun, who have unique personalities, who have long tenures in the city, and who the public can identify with are more marketable.

I really don't think that telling some players that they should get a haircut is going to doom the entire organization because people won't want to play for them.

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:15 PM

Massively stupid?

MASSIVELY STUPD???

MASSIVELY STUPID?!??!??!??!!

Tooooo ****ing funny...

:dtroll:<----------------not a troll, it's Crede after another 6 months of not shaving or getting his hair cut...:)

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 01:16 PM
I really don't think that telling some players that they should get a haircut is going to doom the entire organization because people won't want to play for them.

Exactly. AJ is already locked up for the next couple years. Do you think he is going to demand a trade over this? It was a silly hair growing contest between Crede and him. I can't imagine them taking issue with going back to the way they looked before.

If AJ demanded a trade because he couldn't have an in-season hair growing contest, then I wouldn't want him on the team.

Frankly Missing
04-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure JR gave it some thought.

The Sox also have a policy of players wearing suits or jackets to the stadium for away games, obviously JR wants his players to present themselves in a groomed and professional manner.

I did think they were looking more like rebellious teens.

batmanZoSo
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
First of all, any player that cries about not being able to wear his hair a certain way needs to just shut up and play. Nothing like that should ever affect your performance on the field or your attitude in the clubhouse. And I don't think this will be the case at all with any of our guys.

But second, I do think it's profoundly stupid to make these guys get haircuts. Who the **** cares? We're not talking Dennis Rodman or Oscar Gamble here. And we're not talking Dee Snider from Twisted Sister, circa '85. These players are just wearing what's popular.

spiffie
04-17-2006, 01:22 PM
obviously JR wants his players to present themselves in a groomed and professional manner.

:reinsy

You're darn right I do. No weirdos on my team!

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/2nd_floor/opportunity/rodman.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more Uncle Jerry.

A. Cavatica
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM

Some players will respond differently than others.

Imagine you are one of a handful of people in the country who can perform at the highest level in your job. You get paid insanely well, and you don't have to worry about getting fired because you can get a new job just by picking up the phone. Your company is the best performing one in the world, in large part because of your personal contribution.

Now imagine your boss coming in and telling you to get a haircut.

I don't know about you, but I'd start looking for a boss who's not an idiot.

Chisox003
04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
For some reason, and maybe this is just me here, if that boss is paying me millions of dollars per year to play baseball, I'd get my ****ing haircut on the spot if he told me.

But that's just me.

Do I think it's kind of ridiculous? Sure, but c'mon...

Lip Man 1
04-17-2006, 01:29 PM
The White Sox are a business...as such they have the right to ask their employees (and that includes players) to dress and look accordingly.

If that's what the owner wants...that's what the owner gets.

Besides, the length of hair or if you had a van dyke or not, never increased the speed on a fastball, helped you run better or be able to hit a breaking pitch better.

This is much ado about nothing.

Just keep winning friggin' games...now THAT'S what matters.

Lip

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Some players will respond differently than others.

Imagine you are one of a handful of people in the country who can perform at the highest level in your job. You get paid insanely well, and you don't have to worry about getting fired because you can get a new job just by picking up the phone. Your company is the best performing one in the world, in large part because of your personal contribution.

Now imagine your boss coming in and telling you to get a haircut.

What if by doing so you removed yourself from a chance for some serious secondary benefits (trip to the WS, chance to be a champion, etc.) and made yourself look like such an ass that it affected your future earning potential?

You really think other teams don't notice when a player talks their way out of town over something this trivial? You don't think it affects the Yankees making a bid for the player and driving up the price? When the Yankees aren't talking to your agent, it hurts your contract negotiations big time.

Iwritecode
04-17-2006, 01:30 PM

The Yankees probably have the most strict rules about hair length, facial hair and appearance. It doesn't seem like they have any trouble attracting players to their team...

RowanDye
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
AJ & Crede are hitting pretty well right now...let them do whatever the hell they want. Make Garland and Anderson get a haircut.

Jjav829
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
:reinsy
"Crede, shave those sideburns!"

Pretty ridiculous. Are we becoming the Yankees? That's fine by me if they want to spend and win like the Yankees, but otherwise...

Madvora
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
AJ & Crede are hitting pretty well right now...let them do whatever the hell they want. Make Garland and Anderson get a haircut.
Wow, I've never seen anyone try blue before.

StockdaleForVeep
04-17-2006, 01:36 PM

The main reason i credited to credes excellence last year was his sideburns and sampson hair, once he cut it, he became normal crede

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Cyl_xqQmXZKOWM:http://www.citynerd.com/simpsons/grandpavoice.gif
"Now Johnny Unitas, theres a haircut you can set your watch to"

PaleHosed
04-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Your team's?

When did you buy the team from JR?

Isn't the whole concept of Team to put down your personality, subjugate it for the good of the whole?

What is that old saying?

There is no I in team (but if you rearrange the letters from teammate, you can still spell teammate...):rolleyes:

Mine, not as in ownership, but mine in my heart

I believe a team is a group of personalities, the best teams usually contain a group of compatible personalities. I don't buy into the whole "there is no I in team." Teams are built with individuals, each giving their best individual effort for the team. You can't build a team without individuals, it's all about building it with the right individuals for that particular team. I believe the current Sox, as well as last years, are a great example of this point. There are lots of I's in "individual" and I believe taking the individual out of team takes away from the team.

PaleHosed
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM

You're right, but it looks like a step in that direction.

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Mine, not as in ownership, but mine in my heart

I believe a team is a group of personalities, the best teams usually contain a group of compatible personalities. I don't buy into the whole "there is no I in team." Teams are built with individuals, each giving their best individual effort for the team. You can't build a team without individuals, it's all about building it with the right individuals for that particular team. I believe the current Sox, as well as last years, are a great example of this point. There are lots of I's in "individual" and I believe taking the individual out of team takes away from the team.

Hence explaining the 1000's of coaching offers you have received so far.

Haven't the Yankees won 26 WS titles without facial hair and short haircuts?

This is sillier than the tarp sliding incident by a long shot...

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Arguing with the front office has NEVER helped anyones career, although, it can be very destructive. If having long hair is more important than your career, your not very smart, especially when you don't know how long that career will keep bringing home the bacon.

we be jake
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Mullets & Journey? Sometimes change is a wonderful thing.

PaleHosed
Hence explaining the 1000's of coaching offers you have received so far.

But, it is how I believe Ozzie runs his team, and I betcha he could get some coaching offers :D:

voodoochile
You're right, but it looks like a step in that direction.
It does?

To who?

Has there been a single quote in any newspaper or on TV or radio saying the players are mad and won't play for the team next year because of this decision or are the people ranting about this totalitarian decision just looking for a reason to be a dark cloud/JR hater?

Another cause for the rebels...

You have to have hair at least
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

that long to be allowed on the slip and slide...:rolleyes:

daveeym
First of all, any player that cries about not being able to wear his hair a certain way needs to just shut up and play. Nothing like that should ever affect your performance on the field or your attitude in the clubhouse. And I don't think this will be the case at all with any of our guys.

But second, I do think it's profoundly stupid to make these guys get haircuts. Who the **** cares? We're not talking Dennis Rodman or Oscar Gamble here. And we're not talking Dee Snider from Twisted Sister, circa '85. These players are just wearing what's popular. Well if most of their time in the clubhouse is spent arguing over a bet for the longest hair and it is becoming a distraction get the flo-bee out.

Iwritecode
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
It does?

To who?

Has there been a single quote in any newspaper or on TV or radio saying the players are mad and won't play for the team next year because of this decision or are the people ranting about this totalitarian decision just looking for a reason to be a dark cloud/JR hater?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

I'm good. :D:

PaleHosed
04-17-2006, 01:51 PM
It does?

To who?

I'm just saying I don't want to watch a team full of squashed personalities and when I hear something like this it just looks like the team is moving toward the how the Yankees run things. Not that they haven't been successful, I just think watching a team that shows it's individuals personality is much more enjoyable than watching a team molded into some preordained corporate image.

Iwritecode
04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Figured I'd add my opinion on this matter since my hair currently reaches almost to my waist...

I've never had a job/boss that asked me to cut my hair. They've just said that as long as it's well-kept, clean and doesn't affect my job in anyway, there's no problem. I've kept my hair long since about my junior year in high school. My wife tells me that the 80's are over and that I should cut it but I've just never gotten around to it.

One reason is that I save a ton of time/money in not going to get it cut every couple of weeks. Second is that it's really easy to take care of. Run a brush though it, put it back into a ponytail and I'm good to go.

I guess if I had to cut it for my job I would because I certainly can't afford to lose my job and offers aren't falling out of the sky. If I ever do cut it I'll probably just shave it all off (Bobby Jenks style) because I can do that at home. :D:

I just think it'll make my nose look bigger if I have no hair... :(:

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm just saying I don't want to watch a team full of squashed personalities and when I hear something like this it just looks like the team is moving toward the how the Yankees run things. Not that they haven't been successful, I just think watching a team that shows it's individuals personality is much more enjoyable than watching a team molded into some preordained corporate image.

I just like to watch well played baseball. I don't give a crap about any of this stuff. I do get a huge kick out of the righteous indignation people have been showing over issues that are completely trivial...

Should the players be allowed to personalize their uniforms? I mean it doesn't get much more corporate than that now does it?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Sounds like Uncle Jerry is letting the Championship go to his head (no pun intended) just a little. Calm down JR, we aren't the Yankees yet.

A. Cavatica
04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
What if by doing so you removed yourself from a chance for some serious secondary benefits (trip to the WS, chance to be a champion, etc.) and made yourself look like such an ass that it affected your future earning potential?

You really think other teams don't notice when a player talks their way out of town over something this trivial? You don't think it affects the Yankees making a bid for the player and driving up the price? When the Yankees aren't talking to your agent, it hurts your contract negotiations big time.

Like I said, some players will respond differently than others. This by itself isn't going to drive players out of Chicago, but if it's part of a pattern, then some players will prefer a less Dilbertesque place to work. These guys are not stupid enough to demand a trade over haircuts, but they'll remember each and every perceived insult later.

But it's not just massively stupid because it might alienate players. It's massively stupid because the team is more marketable when some guy in Texarkana can recognize the players without a scorecard. If you think Johnny Damon the Yankee is more marketable than Johnny Damon the Red Sock, you're dreaming. (Anyone have access to the sales figures for Damon jerseys in both cities?)

Anyway, with the Yankees, you know the rules before you sign there. Damon's there because they paid him several million a year more than anyone else was offering. RJ's there because he thought he would garner the most wins over the remainder of his career. We haven't seen either technique work when recruiting Sox players (yet, at least).

With the Sox, it seems that the rules are being changed ad hoc. Last year we did OK with unkempt players; it seemed like only good stories came out of the clubhouse. If JR wanted the players to be better groomed, it should've been handled in spring training, out of earshot of the media.

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm just saying I don't want to watch a team full of squashed personalities and when I hear something like this it just looks like the team is moving toward the how the Yankees run things.

JR asked AJ to get a haircut. AJ doesn't care. I doubt Crede cares. How is this leading you to believe the Sox are moving in a Yankees direction? Its been one "incident".

Get back to me when the Sox start telling the players what to wear, what to eat and who they can talk to at all times.

slobes
04-17-2006, 02:26 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Unfortunately I just got my hair cut today, so I wouldn't be allowed to join Buehrle in his slip 'n slide fest.

CLR01
04-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Did JR tell them how they had to cut it? Did he tell them how short to cut it? Did he tell them what color to make it? Did he tell them no facial hair? NO! he just told them to cut their hair. They are free to do whatever they want to it as long as is not an out of control mess. AJ doesn't seem to have any problems with it. His wife certainly doesn't. The only ones that seem to be complaining are a few people here.

Squashed personalities, *****. If your hair is your personality you may have some problems.

TornLabrum
04-17-2006, 02:32 PM

What the hell color is that??????

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 02:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the sarcasm color on one of the other forums, but am not sure which...

BTW, great post, CLR01. You nailed it...

DaleJRFan
04-17-2006, 02:35 PM
I was once told to get a haircut and shave my beard... so in rebellion, I shaved my head. So there, take that, oppressive CIO!

Personally, I think it is ridiculous to demand a player to cut their hair or shave, without having a known team policy. Do the Sox have such a policy?

From all reports and accounts, JR simply asked these guys to get a trim, and not "cut off all that damned hair they grew partying in the off-season."

AJ and Crede had a "longest hairdo" bet, so now that its over, maybe we can focus on the play on the field ans not slip-n-slide / long hair contents...

lumpyspun
04-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Did JR tell them how they had to cut it? Did he tell them how short to cut it? Did he tell them what color to make it? Did he tell them no facial hair? NO! he just told them to cut their hair. They are free to do whatever they want to it as long as is not an out of control mess. AJ doesn't seem to have any problems with it. His wife certainly doesn't. The only ones that seem to be complaining are a few people here.

Squashed personalities, *****. If your hair is your personality you may have some problems.

Yea, it's not like these dudes came up through the years with mullets and pony tails and now they are being asked to change. In fact, Crede could have passed for a soldier in the 82nd airborne with his haircut as recent as two years ago...

spiffie
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
If your hair is not a reflection of you then what the hell does it matter if they keep it long or not? Apparently short hair shows you are well-disciplined and long hair shows a lack of concern, but outside of those aspects of your personality your hair is not a reflection of who you are.

Walker29
04-17-2006, 03:42 PM
It took me 2 years to figure out how to activate myself so that I could post. For some reason I had a hard time....or maybe I was just waiting for an issue I could really sink my teeth into such as, long hair.

TornLabrum
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
It took me 2 years to figure out how to activate myself so that I could post. For some reason I had a hard time....or maybe I was just waiting for an issue I could really sink my teeth into such as, long hair.

Now why would anyone want to sink their teeth into long hair. I hate the feeling of any hair in my mouth.

HotelWhiteSox
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
This is crap, they're both hitting over .300, the hair stays

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Now why would anyone want to sink their teeth into long hair. I hate the feeling of any hair in my mouth.

No, no, no...

He is sinking his teeth into the subject of long hair. If you have long hair and you don't want to get bit, move out of the way... :wink:

my5thbench
04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
it must be my ability to think deeply that allows me to come up with topics of such importance as this one...I'll keep trying

TornLabrum
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
it must be my ability to think deeply that allows me to come up with topics of such importance as this one...I'll keep trying

:tealtutor:

SoxEd
04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
This is crap, they're both hitting over .300, the hair stays

Even as an anti-Corporate Euro-weenie (and one who USED to have Long Hair of his own, 'back in the day'), I have to say Phooey! to this whole non-issue.

JR wants 'em both to stop with the 'hair growing bet' and to instead concentrate on playing some kind of sport involving hitting a ball and running around things called 'bases'.

AJ is certainly fine with it, and I've no doubt that Joe is too.

Who SERIOUSLY thinks that having long hair makes you hit better?
I don't think that e.g. the Houston Astros believe it since last October.

If I thought that The Franchise was ORDERING the players to all have the same identikit haircut, wear the same Corporate Drone Uniform of Blazer/Slacks/Cravat OFF the field, and to drive the same cars, listen to the same music, buy the same papers etc etc, then I'd be up in arms.

As it is, unless the 'Crede=Samson' theory pans out, my considered response to this Thread is this:

Ah, Mr. Teacup, may I introduce you to my good friend Mr. Storm?

As it is, and given a couple of years' experience of these fine Forums, I fear that, in addition to the Tomato Award, and the Shower Award, WSI may yet need to create a 'Lycurgus Award', for any well-responded-to Thread devoted to the growing of Long Hair.

my5thbench
04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
oh man torn labrum.LOL .....you got me I came close to teal, it was my 1st attempt

spiffie
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
JR wants 'em both to stop with the 'hair growing bet' and to instead concentrate on playing some kind of sport involving hitting a ball and running around things called 'bases'.

Of course the counterpoint is that Joe and AJ are both hitting well, and Crede is flashing amazing leather at 3rd. So why bring up a distraction that had the potential to cause one or both of them to get out of that comfort zone for any reason? Because does anyone seriously think short hair will make them hit better?

HotelWhiteSox
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Even as an anti-Corporate Euro-weenie (and one who USED to have Long Hair of his own, 'back in the day'), I have to say Phooey! to this whole non-issue.

AJ is certainly fine with it, and I've no doubt that Joe is too.

I don't think that e.g. the Houston Astros believe it since last October.

If I thought that The Franchise was ORDERING the players to all have the same identikit haircut, wear the same Corporate Drone Uniform of Blazer/Slacks/Cravat OFF the field, and to drive the same cars, listen to the same music, buy the same papers etc etc, then I'd be up in arms.

As it is, unless the 'Crede=Samson' theory pans out, my considered response to this Thread is this:

Ah, Mr. Teacup, may I introduce you to my good friend Mr. Storm?

As it is, and given a couple of years' experience of these fine Forums, I fear that, in addition to the Tomato Award, and the Shower Award, WSI may yet need to create a 'Lycurgus Award', for any well-responded-to Thread devoted to the growing of Long Hair.

Yes but the baseball superstitions angle defies all laws of reality

Iwritecode
04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Because does anyone seriously think short hair will make them hit better?

Does anyone seriously think short hair will make them hit worse?

SoxEd
04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Of course the counterpoint is that Joe and AJ are both hitting well, and Crede is flashing amazing leather at 3rd. So why bring up a distraction that had the potential to cause one or both of them to get out of that comfort zone for any reason? Because does anyone seriously think short hair will make them hit better?
I cannot answer your last question definitively, although I expect that similar numbers of people think that Long/short hair is better than short/long hair...

I for one, would argue that the length of one's hair has NO bearing on your ability to hit a ball well or not (as long as it isn't falling in to your eyes, obviously :D:).

They did OK last year with hair that was less unkempt than it currently is, so why worry about it?

JR doesn't like how they are starting to look, so wants them to cut it.

They don't seem to be e.g. refusing to cut their hair because to do so would be against their Religion, after all, they were only growing it for a jovial Clubhouse bet.
This way, neither of them loses face (or, do I mean 'hair'?) by letting his team mate win the bet, and neither has to look like he just fell out of a haystack.
Neither has to spend time messing with his hair in order to keep up the bet, he can just get on with playing the game.

What's the big deal?

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM

I would hope not.:kukoo:

SoxEd
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes but the baseball superstitions angle defies all laws of reality

This statement, I will acknowledge as an Eternal Truth :D:

But surely (hair-wise anyway) it means that each player should in actual fact persist with the head/facial hair stylings that he was 'rocking' last October, unless and until he enters some kind of persistent slump, no?
:?:

roylestillman
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
This is getting far more play than its worth, but I have two names: Ed Herman and Oscar Gamble. Let the freak flag fly!

Uncle_Patrick
04-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Yes, because these ball players are like Samson. The key to their strength is the length of their hair.

Oh, and Mark Buehrle will probably sign to the Cardinals because they will offer him a contract with a clause that allows him to slide on the tarp burning rain delays.

thepaulbowski
04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
[quote=voodoochile]Should the players be allowed to personalize their uniforms? [quote]

It worked for the XFL. :cool:

DickAllen72
04-17-2006, 05:10 PM
...it was about the player's appearances. He said he didn't intend to be as strict as the Yankees, however he didn't want his team looking as bad as the Red Sox..........

Thank you, Jerry!

Theanticub
04-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Nice to see healthy wagers between fellow players. Everytime I see buehrle sliding, I feel that much better about the already optimal fun being had by the team 8-)

white sox bill
04-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Yea I thought about the "identity" factor, I mean Johnny Damon may have been the most recognized player last yr. I recall when the NHL made helmets mandatory many years ago (since that may have been reversed) but certain older players who had XX number of years in were exempt. Then the only players w/o helmets were Dougie Wilson,Brad Marsh and a few more I my mind can't seem to remember. All the players looked like clones, but then hockey is SOOO last paced, compared with baseball, where a sure cure for insomnia is a 1-0 National league game. My point is that players don't need long hair for ID purposes. The game is slow enough.

If I was being paid big $$$, I'd surly please my boss by getting it cut. Small price to pay. However....

JR needs to lighten up on this...maybe its because he's partially "follicly challenged". I remember the A's from the 70's, Duncan,Hunter,Rudi,Fingers etc, what a group they were. Easily recognized, they became icons in baseball. I would have thought JR would like the uniqueness of having players with long hair, Brooksy could even have a promotion with that being the theme. Long hair is somewhat popular these days, correct me if I'm wrong, but a mullet is having spiked short hair on top with long flowing hair in back right? I didn't think AJ,Joe,Neil or Freddy had the spiked thing on top going on.

kevin57
04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
While I don't personally like the shaggy look, I agree that this sort of stuff can alienate players unnecessarily. The baseball season is a grind, and 'stupid' stuff like hair bets, or just changing styles can lighten things up.

On the other hand, I mostly back Kenny with the MB sliding act. I loved seeing it but these guys are big investment. Imagine if he got hurt doing that routine how fans would react.

Frater Perdurabo
04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Just keep winning friggin' games...now THAT'S what matters.

Lip

Lip,

Yes, this is small potatoes, but couldn't Jerry spend his time more productively if he searched for a spare cool million or two to tell Kenny to go find the best available bullpen arm, instead of worrying about how long the players' hair might be?

jdm2662
04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
If you guys think the Sox are bad, my Operations Mgmt teacher took off points for a presentation to one guy because he had raggady long hair. It was deemed not professional/business like. He was set to do it to another student, but he cut his before the presentation. This is just an MBA class. The Sox players are being paid millions of dollars. What does my thread mean? Pretty much nothing, but just giving an example. That said, AJ and Crede were looking pretty damn stupid. A trim wouldn't hurt...

Personally, I could care less about it. Just win baby!!!!!

bigfoot
04-17-2006, 06:07 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:kzm77csnqAdI9M:www.mlb.com/mlb/images/allstar2001/ucs/ph_ucs_rollie_fingers_215.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mlb.com/mlb/images/allstar2001/ucs/ph_ucs_rollie_fingers_215.jpg&imgrefurl=http://circlechange.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php%3Ftopic_id%3D22%26forum%3D1&h=215&w=215&sz=7&tbnid=kzm77csnqAdI9M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=101&hl=en&start=24&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drollie%2Bfingers%26start%3D20%26svnum %3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN) Does that include nose hair?!

RowanDye
04-17-2006, 06:15 PM

I really have no excuse, I must have been blinded by the public's scorn over my long hair style.

Bseball should be fun. I don't think this is a big deal, but I just don't buy the whole "clean-cut" image crap. They all wear the same uniform to unite them as a team. Does AJ's haircut look stupid? Yes. But I, as well as a lot of other people, still respect him, and maybe even more so for showing some individuality. Of course if he was trying to sell me nachos or something I might look for different vendor. :tongue:

Cuck the Fubs
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Get ready for an 8 page thread on whether or not the players should have to cut their hair.

:D: More than half way there:D:

Mots09
04-17-2006, 06:32 PM
When we went to the 2005 College World Series we lost our first game and our coach freaked on us for not looking 'professional'

Basically he didn't care what we looked like when we rolled thru conference tourney and regionals but then his attitude changed. Basically everyone told him to "Blow it out his you know," and we went on to finish 4th in the country.

I don't see a problem w/ them having to cut their hair if they want to have a certain image w/ the Sox, but the question is would this really be asked of them if they were rolling?

Deuce
04-17-2006, 06:33 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/605/hair0vd.jpg

Chips
04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
This is a great idea. People should look respectable. At the 2005 Soxfest, my hair was way too long (I had a $7 bet going with The Dude that I could go until March or something without a haircut from the previous April). The two of us saw Moose Skowron and he told me to get a haircut. Long hair is way too unprofessional.

Chisox003
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
This is a great idea. People should look respectable. At the 2005 Soxfest, my hair was way too long (I had a $7 bet going with The Dude that I could go until March or something without a haircut from the previous April). The two of us saw Moose Skowron and he told me to get a haircut. Long hair is way too unprofessional.
I went from August '05 until like mid March without getting a haircut :o:

Out of control, to say the least.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Not that I'm overly superstitious or anything, but Joe Crede stopped sucking with his bat when he started hanging around with A.J. and Rowand and letting his hair grow long.

Or it could just be the Journey song. Take your pick.
:redneck

04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Crede hit better with long hair....Freddy looked like Farmer with his highlights, I hated it....AJ looked trashy...Cotts always had long hair, but with his hat on, he looked like a 1970's player.....nobody is saying they have to get crew cuts, just clean it up a bit.

ws05champs
04-17-2006, 07:23 PM
More signs the universe is returning to normal. The Sox are playing well and we have nearly 100 posts on a meaningless topic.

Chisox003
04-17-2006, 07:29 PM
More signs the universe is returning to normal. The Sox are playing well and we have nearly 100 posts on a meaningless topic.
Scary eh?

I can't wait until this team reaches it's full potential. ****, they could be about 10-2 right now, in which case this thread would have about 4 tomatos.

WSI :rolleyes: :gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
From a goatee wearing, former semi long haired professional...

:tomatoaward

:gulp: 100 Post thread on hair. Only WSI.

Layla
04-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I didn't reply on the Buehrle slip and slide thread, but here I can't resist.

I'm probably going to get my year wrong, but does anyone remember when LaMarr Hoyt had that streak going back in 81 or 82? The hair was long, the beard was long, he was drenched after the first pitch. But he wasn't going to do a damn thing about the hair because of the streak. Like in Bull Durham "respect the streak."

Second, in 83, on road trips they had the team wear the same blazers. They were red. I happened to be at O'Hare catching a flight and saw them. They looked ridiculous.

credeistheman
04-17-2006, 09:58 PM
the hair is intact for tonight's game...

TornLabrum
04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
From a goatee wearing, former semi long haired professional...

I love the radio ad that says ballplayer with goatees look like record store clerks.

thomas35forever
04-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Dare I say it, is Kenny trying to come up with the same policies as Steinbrenner?

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Dare I say it, is Kenny trying to come up with the same policies as Steinbrenner?

I thought the Yankee policies predated Steinbrenner.

gobears1987
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
"MATTINGLY!!! Shave those sideburns"

"That's it you're off the team!!!"
"I still like working for him better than Steinbrenner."

thomas35forever
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
For awhile, I actually had trouble telling Crede and Cotts apart because they have such similar hairstyles.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Voodoo:

Before George I think it was an 'unwritten' rule but when he took over he made it official. Remember he came from a strict household and had a military background before becomming a football and track coach at Purdue and Northwestern.

Lip

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 12:14 AM
I went from August '05 until like mid March without getting a haircut :o:

Out of control, to say the least.

Bah, that's nothing. I went a solid 2.5 years without so much as a trim in 2001-2004.

Out of control was an understatement.:tongue:

EndemicSox
04-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Idiotic, but the owners want a bunch of sheep, so sheep they will get. I guess when you are paying a guy 1,000,000 to play a freaking game, you can tell your slave to do whatever you want him to.

LuvSox
04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
I guess when you are paying a guy 1,000,000 to play a freaking game, you can tell your slave to do whatever you want him to.

Huh?

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Huh?

Haven't you heard? The reserve clause is back!

Taliesinrk
04-18-2006, 01:00 AM
A.J. looked terrible.. I kind of liked Joe's.. besides.. I don't know how the hell Joe's gonna "clean it up".. wasn't it his facial hair and hair last year that got him going. It seemed as though he got hot from that and never looked back (neither did his appearance).

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
In an interesting development, you'd never guess who's siding with Riensdorf and Williams on the hair and tarp issues:

:moron

That's right.

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Personally I think longer hair is much less an issue in baseball than in a sport like football where you can be grabbed and tackled by it. I see football players with hair halfway down their backs, and I wonder why that is allowed. If I had to tackle one of these players their hair would be fair game. Yank on the hair and pull 'em down! :cool:

Madvora
04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Idiotic, but the owners want a bunch of sheep, so sheep they will get. I guess when you are paying a guy 1,000,000 to play a freaking game, you can tell your slave to do whatever you want him to.
Those are some pretty nice slave wages!

spiffie
04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Those are some pretty nice slave wages!
The important question is will the WSI softball team be implementing this policy.

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 11:10 AM
..... wasn't it his facial hair and hair last year that got him going. It seemed as though he got hot from that and never looked back (neither did his appearance).

YES, I NOTICED IMMEDIATELY HOW HIS HAIR GREW and so did his Batting AVerage. I think Jerry needs to step away from this kind of stuff

ma-gaga
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
YES, I NOTICED IMMEDIATELY HOW HIS HAIR GREW and so did his Batting AVerage. I think Jerry needs to step away from this kind of stuff

This thread needs a graph..

Where's homefish???

my5thbench
04-18-2006, 11:46 AM
George Steinbrenner attended high school at Culver Military Academy on beautiful Lake Maxinkuckee near here. His sons also attended there in the '80's & '90's. For his son's graduation he brought in one of the old Motown groups to entertain all of the rich graduating seniors. He also paid the White Sox to bring some of Roger Bossard's crew to groom their high school baseball field & paid to have new dugouts built. A friend of min the contractor who did the work saw George in a suit out on the diamond with a rake working away, he was quite friendly with all of the construction workers.

My wife used to wait tables & bartend at an establishment here in town & she often waited on George & his family, he was kind to her & a VERY good tipper. All he asked was that he not be bothered with a bunch of attention while dining.

oeo
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
"This rule has been here since I got here and was playing. Neat haircuts. He's not saying you got to be bald," Guillen said. "You got to go with his rule."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2411984

So apparantly it has been a rule for some time. Their hair was getting out of hand.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2006, 12:48 PM
5th bench:

George offered his oldest son a choice of any recording group that would be willing to play at the graduation. The choice came down to either Chicago or Barry White.

The son chose Barry.

They have a picture of Barry meeting George on the inside of the album 'Barry White's Greatest Hits...'

Lip

my5thbench
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
thanks Lip, I've never seen that. It was certainly a big deal that Spring in our small town newspaper

we used to go to the Academy on Sundays to play pickup basketball in an old all purpose gym, there was an old black & white photo on the wall of Mr Steinbrenner as a student in full boxing garb, must have been a pretty tough kid

Vance Law's Dog
04-18-2006, 02:56 PM
AJ & Joe have trips to the barber in their futures.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0604180313apr18,1,2340906.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

:dtroll:

Justagirl
04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69667

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Paulie......

LuvSox
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Have any good Onion sports articles?

SBSoxFan
04-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Paulie......
That would have been Hair Today, Gone ... A Long Time Ago!

tick53
04-18-2006, 06:23 PM
C'mon it's only hair!!

tick53
04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
George Steinbrenner attended high school at Culver Military Academy on beautiful Lake Maxinkuckee near here. His sons also attended there in the '80's & '90's. For his son's graduation he brought in one of the old Motown groups to entertain all of the rich graduating seniors. He also paid the White Sox to bring some of Roger Bossard's crew to groom their high school baseball field & paid to have new dugouts built. A friend of min the contractor who did the work saw George in a suit out on the diamond with a rake working away, he was quite friendly with all of the construction workers.

My wife used to wait tables & bartend at an establishment here in town & she often waited on George & his family, he was kind to her & a VERY good tipper. All he asked was that he not be bothered with a bunch of attention while dining.

Other Famous People Who Attended CMA
Tim Holt, Actor Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Adolphe Menjou, Actor Path To War
Jonathan Winters, Comedian/Actor It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Hal Holbrook, Actor, Most recently on The Sopranos

And all the other little Steinbrenners

Note: Hey Bench, some friends of mine saw Big Stein at the Corndance a few weeks ago.
They said he was very nice..

slowlearner
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
If this is true, it's massively stupid. Players who like playing for the organization are more likely to stick around for the long term, even if it means taking a hometown discount. Players who are having fun, who have unique personalities, who have long tenures in the city, and who the public can identify with are more marketable.[/quote]

I agree with you that "unique" players are more marketable (i.e. generates revenue), but as for the notion that lax personal appearance rules influence where a ballplayer chooses to sign and/or play; well, just ask Johnny Damon how important his hair was compared to that fat Yankee contract. I'm guessing not very.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-18-2006, 07:36 PM
For awhile, I actually had trouble telling Crede and Cotts apart because they have such similar hairstyles.

Tailgunner Joe noted AJ questioning of players not ordered to get a hair cut:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep18.html

Pierzynski did find time to throw several other teammates under the bus, pointing out the long hair sported by both Freddy Garcia and Neal Cotts. Neither of them was singled out by Reinsdorf or Williams.
"I don't know if I will cut mine -- we'll see,'' Garcia said.

Now that JR is done assisting MLB's fleecing of Washington DC taxpayers of over $600 million, he now has time to address other issues.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Morrissey tackles the issue today. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0604218morrissey,1,2552773.column?coll=chi-news-hed)

Those of us who believe players should be able to wear their hair how they want to are feeling betrayed right now.

kevingrt
04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Now Freddy and Neal have to clean up their mops too. So sad.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Morrissey tackles the issue today. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0604218morrissey,1,2552773.column?coll=chi-news-hed)

wow, oscar sounds intelligent...kinda puts morrisey in his place as he futilily argues the opposition...

morrisey has the ability to shape anything that oscar says and yet gamble still wins out, in my mind anyway...

Hitmen77
04-19-2006, 12:09 PM
wow, oscar sounds intelligent...kinda puts morrisey in his place as he futilily argues the opposition...

morrisey has the ability to shape anything that oscar says and yet gamble still wins out, in my mind anyway...

Hey, I didn't realize that Oscar Gamble returned to the Sox in '85 (see link). Interesting career numbers. Looks like '77 was really a "career year" for him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gamblos01.shtml

Uncle_Patrick
04-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Ahh, another award-winning piece of journalism, I see. I'm glad everyone can blow this non-issue further out of proportion.

guyinleftfield
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I can understand the idea of a professional appearance, ala the Yankees.
But on the otherhand, I never really liked the Yankees. So F' them !:angry: I like the long haired players, and those that sport facial hair. If fact, I have grown my hair out since October,05, when it was short. I also started growing a beard during the April 9-14 winning streak, ala Paul Konerko. I am being an individual, like the players have been. I like a team of individual personalies, that make up a great Championship team, like ,05. :D:

jehosaphat
04-19-2006, 10:29 PM
What a joke! Why does the front office care if a player has a little shaggy look or not? I think this only pisses off the players because they feel they cant look the way they want. If we made a rule before the season as the Yankees have, then this is justified. Now that being said, it isnt that big of a deal, but its just plain ridiculous.

Amen.

jehosaphat
04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I love the radio ad that says ballplayer with goatees look like record store clerks.

I hate that ad. And they've been playing it for two years.

Goatee wearers should boycott UPS!

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Fox32 just talked about this story. Same old, same old but they had amazing footage of AJ in the locker room. He was wearing a white headband that was way too wide. His hair was spilling over the top and sides. It looked like his hair was attacking him.

TornLabrum
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I hate that ad. And they've been playing it for two years.

Goatee wearers should boycott UPS!

It's funny because it's true. I've never seen a record store clerk who didn't have a goatee.

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2006, 03:20 PM
AJ and Joe got it cut this morning on the Score for charity. They are supposed to be keeping 'post haircut' stats

rookiewhitesox
04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
For AJ and J. Crede, I'll keep mine a little longer.