PDA

View Full Version : Our White Sox are in 1st Place

ArkanSox
04-17-2006, 12:42 AM
...just in case anybody didn't notice. They really stepped it up this week and are playing much better ball. Pauly and Thome are awesome, and it looks like Pods is starting to come around. If we can stay healthy, I really think that we'll stay on top of the Cental Division for the rest of the season. :cool:
GO SOX!!!

Hitmen77
04-17-2006, 08:35 AM
If Pods is coming out of this slump and the starting pitching settles into their career norms, we should be in pretty good shape. Here's where we are if Pods is coming around (in bad, undecided, good, really good): Correct this if this is wrong, I'm just give this a quick-reaction to where I think we are.

Pods
Iguchi
Thome
PK
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Cintron
Anderson
Mackowiak

Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia (? i'll give him a pass for yesterday's bad weather)
Vazquez
Garland
Jenks
McCarthy
Thornton
Logan
Cotts
Politte

SectionBNole
04-17-2006, 10:38 AM
First place!! :bandance:

Hangar18
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
...just in case anybody didn't notice. They really stepped it up this week and are playing much better ball. Pauly and Thome are awesome, and it looks like Pods is starting to come around. If we can stay healthy, I really think that we'll stay on top of the Cental Division for the rest of the season. :cool:
GO SOX!!!

Yes, and I looked around to see if the media would go hog-wild in proclaiming this. They Didnt. The Bulls got the lions-share of the attention (and they deserved it somewhat). We need to step up in the bullpen ........
were looking good, but there is one guy that im very very nervous about.
Javier Vazquez. That was about as big a melt-down as Ive ever seen.
that was horrible

spawn
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
There are no tiebreakers in this case because IT'S APRIL 17!!!!!!

Thank you. There are still 150 games to be played. it's a little early to be speculating about playoff tie-breakers.

oeo
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
If Pods is coming out of this slump and the starting pitching settles into their career norms, we should be in pretty good shape. Here's where we are if Pods is coming around (in bad, undecided, good, really good): Correct this if this is wrong, I'm just give this a quick-reaction to where I think we are.

Pods
Iguchi
Thome
PK
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Cintron
Anderson
Mackowiak

Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia (? i'll give him a pass for yesterday's bad weather)
Vazquez
Garland
Jenks
McCarthy
Thornton
Logan
Cotts
Politte

Crede is batting .324 with 1 HR and 9 RBI's, as well as throwing the leather every day he is out there. If you ask me, Crede has been absolutely spectacular so far.

Logan has not looked good, and Vazquez has looked very good. I really don't see the problem with Freddy either.

Our main problems as of now: Anderson (who will turn it around), Garland (I hope he turns it around), and our bullpen.

INSox56
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't know how much of Vazquez's meltdown was really him or bad luck. If I remember right, he only gave up probably 3 big hits (glaus was two of them for christ sake)...the rest were little bloop garbage hits over the IF. Still, not stellar, but at least it wasn't hard hit balls every AB.

ondafarm
04-17-2006, 01:01 PM
The White Sox's magic number is currently 151.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 01:07 PM
The White Sox's magic number is currently 151.

STOP THAT!!!!

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
STOP THAT!!!!

Why? Someone had it in their sig all last year and it didn't seem to hurt. Heck, it can be argued now that it is good luck to talk about the Magic Number in April.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Why? Someone had it in their sig all last year and it didn't seem to hurt. Heck, it can be argued now that it is good luck to talk about the Magic Number in April.

Have always been superstitious about the magic number, but its not worse then the Sun-times running the daily comparision of records between this year and last years team

Lip Man 1
04-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Hangar:

I'd be more concerned about Garland then about Vazquez.

You are correct about the bullpen though... a thought echoed by Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune Live! last week.

Rogers said it looks like Williams is going to have 'to make a couple of deals for bullpen help...'

The team is winning that's all that counts but there are areas that need to be more consistent.

Lip

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Hangar:

You are correct about the bullpen though... a thought echoed by Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune Live! last week.

Rogers said it looks like Williams is going to have 'to make a couple of deals for bullpen help...'

The team is winning that's all that counts but there are areas that need to be more consistent.

Lip

i argree, i am more concerned about garland then vazquez. we are expecting a lot more out of him. and vazques didnt pitch horrible his last outing, he was making decent pitches, the blue jays were just doing a good job of hitting

Fake Chet Lemon
04-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Hangar:

Lip

I can see a semi-crazy scenario where McCarthy is the MVP of this team this year out of the pen. He's been really important, especially with Politte being unreliable.

ondafarm
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Anybody else know that Thome is on a pace to hit 94 dingers this year?

Garland is showing more of the same, good stuff; a 6'5" sinkerballer should be able to throw a very heavy ball. On the other hand, he's still showing himself to be a bit of a head case, unable to shake a bad play in the field, bear down and get the next guy. But Ozzie seems to be aware of this and able to adjust; I don't think he'll start Ozuna in left anytime that Garland is on the mound.

The bullpen is thin but workable. As long as Buehrle and at least one other starter can keep delivering solid starts and days off to the pen then the Sox should be okay. Jenks seems to be coming around. Cotts seems okay. Logan should get a few spots against KC. The bullpen could use a shot in the arm come June. That might be Hermanson back, a callup or two or a trade. I doubt KW reads Phil Rogers though.

Hitmen77
04-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Crede is batting .324 with 1 HR and 9 RBI's, as well as throwing the leather every day he is out there. If you ask me, Crede has been absolutely spectacular so far.

Logan has not looked good, and Vazquez has looked very good. I really don't see the problem with Freddy either.

Our main problems as of now: Anderson (who will turn it around), Garland (I hope he turns it around), and our bullpen.

Agreed. I didn't mean to overlook Crede on my quick list.

palehozenychicty
04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
We need to step up in the bullpen ........
were looking good, but there is one guy that im very very nervous about.
Javier Vazquez. That was about as big a melt-down as Ive ever seen.
that was horrible

I think that the Black Jays simply beat Vazquez that night. The balls weren't hit that hard, just proper placement on the field. They have a good lineup, and we're fortunate to get two from them. The bullpen is puzzling at the moment, but it's early.

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Tribe wins 10-2 over Tigers.....not in first no more. :o:

Hitmen77
04-17-2006, 10:01 PM

I'm not going to scoreboard watch just yet. Granted, I'm glad to see that the Tribe lost a bunch after going 6-1. But, the Sox control their own destiny at this point. Just keep on winning.

ArkanSox
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice quick list, hitmen. I think you're right on, except for the prementioned Crede hot start, I hope that we can sign him long term, as I see him getting only better thoughout the years. He is clutch. Also, I'm not worried about Vasquez. I've always considered him a top quality pitcher and was very happy when Kenny was able to trade for him. Chicken Dinner, I was wondering if anyone would make that comment after the Indian's win today.
Ha, never fear, Sox up 9-0 with 2 innings left tonight. Back in first we go.
GO SOX!!!

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 10:41 PM

See, it didn't matter who won that game. The only way the Sox came into tonight tied for first was if the game got rained out. It didn't..

Doesn't matter, back in first...

Tragg
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
The only bad news is that we've already used up 4 of our games against the Royals; no other legitimate contender has done that.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Well you could say the Royals may be better later in the year when the other 'contenders' play them. I certainly hope so.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, it does look like Pods is back. Another good sign is that Uribe seems to be coming around offensively. Now we just need to get both of our CFs on track offensively.

As far as pitching goes, I'm interesting in seeing how Garcia and Garland do in their next starts. The bullpen looks good except for Cotts and Politte. What's up with Cotts? He looked shakey again in the 9th yesterday.

(in bad, undecided, good, really good)
Pods
Iguchi
Thome
PK
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
---Cintron
Anderson
---Mackowiak

Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia (one bad outing, one good outing, one incomplete (bad weather))
Vazquez
Garland (2 bad outings followed by one good outing)
Jenks
McCarthy
Thornton
Logan
Cotts
Politte

ondafarm
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
The White Sox are clearly in first today and they have no gaping holes in their lineup. Anderson is at least getting more pitches per at bat, meaning he seems to be coming around. The pitching staff is looking more and more like the best in the majors. Politte may be having an off year and Cotts a few difficulties. They'll come around and contribute.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
The long journey is over. :D:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/standings.jpg :moonwalk:

ArkanSox
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with your evaluation, ondafarm. Hitmen, Cotts is still a youngster. He may be basking in the afterglow of the World Series Championship. His arm appears fine, so I'm guessing it's headgames with him. With last year's tremendous season validating his potential, I expect that he'll refocus and be just fine. Yes, batman, the long journey back into first place is over. Ha, I guess that is what winning nine out of ten games can do for a team.
GO SOX!!!

Hitmen77
04-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with your evaluation, ondafarm. Hitmen, Cotts is still a youngster. He may be basking in the afterglow of the World Series Championship. His arm appears fine, so I'm guessing it's headgames with him. With last year's tremendous season validating his potential, I expect that he'll refocus and be just fine. ...

I agree about Cotts. While it's fair to say that Politte had a "career" year last year, I don't think the same can be said about Cotts since it was only his second(?) full season in the majors. I'd like to think that'll be the norm for him and he's just experiencing a little rough stretch right now.

If Cotts does come around, we potentially have very solid relievers in McCarthy, Jenks, Thorton, Cotts, and Logan(?). Not bad for our team's "weak spot".

ArkanSox
04-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, hitmen, I think we'll be fine in the pen.

ondafarm
04-21-2006, 09:19 PM
A lot of relief pitchers have up and down years. Gossage and Forster certainly did. Even Thigpen did.

I just don't think we have to worry that much about Cotts, it's a long year, Ozzie seems to be worried about keeping his guys confidence up.

Politte is a small guy who throws hard, that is a combination which guarentees trouble eventually. But he should come back and be productive.

ondafarm
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
The first place White Sox currently post the league's best record. They are actually tied with the Mets for the best in MLB. The White Sox have scored the fourth most runs in the league and have allowed the fewest runs in the league.

Pretty dog gone good year so far.

oeo
04-22-2006, 01:16 PM
The first place White Sox currently post the league's best record. They are actually tied with the Mets for the best in MLB. The White Sox have scored the fourth most runs in the league and have allowed the fewest runs in the league.

Pretty dog gone good year so far.

Don't forget the Astros, they're also at 11-5. What a great last 11 games, they're playing great right now, hopefully it continues.

ArkanSox
04-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I just loved this quote from Jim Thome. It seems to sum it all up, doesn't it? Thome has scored in all 17 games, a major league record to start a season. What an great acquisition by Kenny Williams. Pauley's been Pauley. Dye, who's usually a slow starter out of the gate, is on fire. His explanation? "Maybe I'm just feeding off other players." Rock on, guys.
GO SOX!!!

Layla
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
And I think that quote says it all.

These guys are believe in the team concept. Not individual awards or stats, but what it means for the team.

And until the team 8.1 miles north learns that lesson, they won't win.

ondafarm
04-23-2006, 01:35 PM
The first place White Sox with 100 runs scored and 70 runs against are tied for second fewest runs against and are third in runs scored.

The Sox are also tied with the Mets and Astros for the best record in baseball.

According to Coolstandings http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

the White Sox are 91.2% likely to make the playoffs and 68% likely to win the ALCD.