PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Fined For Tarp Sliding

ChiSoxPatF
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
MLB.com reports that the Sox are fining Buehrle for his antics on the tarp during the rain delay:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060416&content_id=1403992&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we heard multiple times from Kenny and Ozzie that, even though he COULD get hurt, they wouldn't stop him from doing it because its what makes Buehrle... well, Buehrle? I love Kenny and Ozzie as much or more than any Sox fan, but this sounds like blatant hypocrisy to me.

Why don't we just buy him a ticket to St. Louis?! :angry:

34rancher
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
He was fined for signaling the fans to do it also.

Chisox003
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
:rolleyes:

What a joke.

chidonez
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I could hear the fans cheer on the radio when he did that. Someone should take up a pool. You first...

kevingrt
04-16-2006, 09:10 PM
He was fined for signaling the fans to do it also.

Yeah because on the radio they mentioned someone going onto the field after Buehrle did it. I still don't understand why you fine Buehrle but... whatever.

chisoxmike
04-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Why don't we just buy him a ticket to St. Louis?! :angry:

What is this supposed to mean?

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
What is this supposed to mean?
Isn't it obvious? Mark loves St. Louis. Fine = quitting the team and becoming a redbird.

34rancher
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah because on the radio they mentioned someone going onto the field after Buehrle did it. I still don't understand why you fine Buehrle but... whatever.
According to MLB.com, he waved his arms to the crowd encouraging them to join, which I can understand the fine then...

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I can understand why he would be fined, but I still think it is kind of stupid. I would like to hope he isn't that fragile where he can't handle a few dips and dives. Now was he encouraging the fans to come and try? If so, this is a totally different story.

ChiSoxPatF
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Just that he has said he is inclined to play for St. Louis sometime in his career and his contract is up (assuming we extend him) next year. St. Louis loses the majority of their staff to free agency in the next two years and it would be the logical move for them to go after Mark.

If we're going to start taking away those little things that make playing in Chicago fun for Buehrle then we risk those few things we can offer that St. Louis cannot or will not.

I know this is a big jump this early but these things add up over the years. I don't like it when our best pitcher and my favorite Sox player has to say "We'll see if it comes out to be the truth, but if it is, I won't be out there anymore. I can't have any fun no more."

LongLiveFisk
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
According to MLB.com, he waved his arms to the crowd encouraging them to join, which I can understand the fine then...

Mark was probably encouraging the fans to cheer, not to join in. MLB needs to get a clue.

MrRoboto83
04-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Mark was probably encouraging the fans to cheer, not to join in. MLB needs to get a clue.

I agree

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
This is exactly what happened but I have to say his motions looked an awful lot like he was signaling for someone to come on the field. I don't know if he was signaling another player or if the gesture wasn't clear but some fool in the stands sure thought Mark was personally asking him to join him on the field.

Before Mark made his first slide, he pointed to the bullpen but Man Soo Lee wasn't biting.:tongue:

Look, I'm sure Kenny isn't too excited about the slides over the years. He probably let it "slide" (yuk yuk) for the last few years. The fan coming on the field was the perfect opportunity to put his foot down. And its the right move. Seriously, if he got hurt, it would be a major blow. Mark would join the ranks of other famous goofball player injuries. No thanks.

chidonez
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Either way, even if it appeared he intended to encourage fans to run on the field, would you do it? It's a clear no-no.

What would Bill say? He'd probably have a whole troop of belly dancers running and sliding out there.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I can understand why he would be fined, but I still think it is kind of stupid. I would like to hope he isn't that fragile where he can't handle a few dips and dives. Now was he encouraging the fans to come and try? If so, this is a totally different story.

Luc Longley separated his shoulder body surfing.

There are enough incidences of people getting stupid injuries doing silly "safe" stuff that the team has every reason to protect their guaranteed multi-million dollar investment.

I am sure Buehrle can afford the few hundred dollars and besides, doesn't that money go toward the end of season party?

If Buehrle had hurt himself doing this, everyone one who is ragging on the team for fining him would be lining up to ride BurlyMon out of town on a rail after tarring and feathering him. If it were a season ending injury, he would go from "rugged individualist everyman" to "dumbass of the year who cost my team a chance for a repeat championship" about as fast as it takes to slide across the infield one time.

Stay healthy Mark. Remember the rule: fun is winning and winning is fun.

Chicago
04-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I was sitting right behind home plate... The wave he gave didn't look like a stand up and cheer wave... more like a come and join the fun wave, but in a joking way. I'm sure he really wasn't trying to get the fans to run on the field.

Was he fined for doing this before???

ChiSoxPatF
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Seriously, if he got hurt, it would be a major blow. Mark would join the ranks of other famous goofball player injuries. No thanks.

I know freak accidents happen but, come on everyone, this is a professional athlete. It's not like he's professional boxing or something, he's sliding on a tarp like every kid who has ever had a slip and slide in their front yard.

I understand that some jerk ran onto the field and if that is why he's being fined then okay, but to get this up in arms about a grown man sliding on a tarp is just assinine.

RadioheadRocks
I was sitting right behind home plate... The wave he gave didn't look like a stand up and cheer wave... more like a come and join the fun wave, but in a joking way. I'm sure he really wasn't trying to get the fans to run on the field.

Was he fined for doing this before???

He actually did this same waving gesture after sliding on the tarp in last year's Grinder Rules commercial: "BE A MAN, PLAY LIKE A BOY"... you can see it among the extras in the SOX PRIDE DVD.

shaunburnette
Someone please tell me this was a move by MLB not the White Sox organization.

MrRoboto83
04-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I played on a Slip and Slide for years when I was young and never got hurt once. If it is safe for a child why not a grown up version??

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I can't beleive some of you suggesting he could get hurt on this giant slip & slide. Do you know how thick that tarp is? It's not like he's going to hit a rock or something. Of all the crazy things ball players do away from the field this is probably safer than most of them.

This isn't just something the White Sox choose to ignore over the years. MLB has never said anything about it either & there's really been nothing to prevent other players from doing the same thing.

It would be nice if Selig did his job once in a while & defined the rules of conduct for the league.

chidonez
04-16-2006, 09:31 PM
No kidding... Didn't someone strain a back muscle while tying their shoes recently? They'll fine players for doing that next.

shaunburnette
04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Someone please tell me this was a move by MLB not the White Sox organization.

SO is it MLB or the White Sox handing this down?

MrRoboto83
04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
No kidding... Didn't someone strain a back muscle while tying their shoes recently? They'll fine players for doing that next.

Or perhaps players shouldn't be allowed to drive to and from the game for the risk of a bad car accident.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 09:35 PM

I'm sorry, but what's the point here?

Players HAVE to tie their shoes.

Players don't HAVE to act like 13 YO kids and be the center of attention by acting like a clown...

ChiSoxPatF
Or carrying groceries up a flight of stairs. It did cost Colorado a potential ROY candidate for a season

voodoochile
Or carrying groceries up a flight of stairs. It did cost Colorado a potential ROY candidate for a season

Didn't that turn out to be a lie?

Edward
04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Stupid, really stupid. Someone should start a fund to pay his fine, hell, I'd throw in $20 myself. This would show the sox/mlb how stupid this is, and how much the fans love Buehrle being Buehrle. I understand he could get hurt, but I'm sure other MLB players are putting themselves at much more risk. I.E. Neal Cotts drinking at Joe's on Weed last night.

ChiSoxPatF
04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Didn't that turn out to be a lie?

It was my understanding that he initially lied and said it was a hunting accident. Barmes then had to admit that it wasn't a hunting accident but rather he tripped down a flight of stairs while carrying groceries.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050606&content_id=1078320&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

TheDarkGundam
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM
SO is it MLB or the White Sox handing this down?
The article on the Sox site makes it sound like this was handed down by the Sox organization. Apparently Ozzie and Kenny weren't happy about it.

jenn2080
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM

EF em if they cant take a joke!

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 09:40 PM
The article on the Sox site makes it sound like this was handed down by the Sox organization. Apparently Ozzie and Kenny weren't happy about it.

Anyone bet he was told to not do it ever again a while ago?

Edward
04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Anyone bet he was told to not do it ever again a while ago?

Very true, good point. If thats the case he deserves the fine, even though he should be able to do it, you gotta do what the boss says.

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
It was my understanding that he initially lied and said it was a hunting accident. Barmes then had to admit that it wasn't a hunting accident but rather he tripped down a flight of stairs while carrying groceries.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050606&content_id=1078320&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

wierd.. i thought it was the other way around.. b/c he wasn't supposed to be deer hunting..

Unregistered
04-16-2006, 09:44 PM
"After I came in, somebody else said [I was fined]," Buehrle said in the interview. "We'll see if it comes out to be the truth, but if it is, I won't be out there anymore. I can't have any fun no more."

Get that, Brooks?

White Sox Baseball: I Can't Have Any Fun No More

Catch the fever! :smile:

Unregistered
04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
wierd.. i thought it was the other way around.. b/c he wasn't supposed to be deer hunting..
I'm almost positive that was the case. He said he was carrying "groceries," when in fact, he was carrying ~30lbs of deer meat up the stairs...

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I am sure Buehrle can afford the few hundred dollars and besides, doesn't that money go toward the end of season party?

but doesn't JR pay for all the champagne and sheets that cover the lockers???

ChiSoxPatF
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm almost positive that was the case. He said he was carrying "groceries," when in fact, he was carrying ~30lbs of deer meat up the stairs...

You may be right but in either case he tripped on a flight of stairs. Freak accidents happen and you can't wrap professional athletes in styrofoam whenever they leave the dugout or ballpark.

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 09:49 PM

yeah.. IIRC, he was with Todd Helton..

MrRoboto83
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
You may be right but in either case he tripped on a flight of stairs. Freak accidents happen and you can't wrap professional athletes in styrofoam whenever they leave the dugout or ballpark.

Is that what they wrap pitchers arms in after they pitch??

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
"After I came in, somebody else said [I was fined]," Buehrle said in the interview. "We'll see if it comes out to be the truth, but if it is, I won't be out there anymore. I can't have any fun no more."

Get that, Brooks?

OG: Fun is winning and winning is fun

Catch the fever...

Pennant fever that is... :moonwalk::D::cool:

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Get that, Brooks?

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Stuff like that is what makes the Sox the Sox.. GMAB. I understand there may have been complications with the fan and what not; and the fact that I don't know the logistics of the Sox org., but it'll be really disappointing if Mark's not out there anymore. That's part of the reason they're so fun to watch: individuals like MB.

FedEx227
04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Not too sure about this ruling. I honestly don't see the harm in this at-all, it seems like good fun and it seems like something this White Sox team use to love to do, you know have fun. Buehrle is Buehrle, hes a fun-loving guy, hes a no non-sense guy on the mound, but loves to play around when hes off, is that such a crime?

And the thing about "Yeah he might get hurt" is a complete cop-out, like people said above you can get hurt doing ANYTHING. I love how teams want professional athletes to be hermits whenever they aren't on the playing field for fear of possibly "hurting themselves".

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Its prob in response to the belief that buehrle egged the fans and one ran on the field.

end solution: no more rain delays

Unregistered
04-16-2006, 09:56 PM
This is exactly what I was afraid of. Stuff like that is what makes the Sox the Sox.. GMAB. I understand there may have been complications with the fan and what not; and the fact that I don't know the logistics of the Sox org., but it'll be really disappointing if Mark's not out there anymore. That's part of the reason they're so fun to watch: individuals like MB.
Prepare to be disappointed. There's no way you're gonna see him out there after this. I just hope this doesn't get picked up by the media (columnists) and argued to death about whether or not the Sox have stopped having fun.

All we need after every 2 or 3 game losing skid is a lengthy "Are the Sox not having fun anymore?" news story. It's already a given that we'll have WSI threads on the topic for the rest of the year... :tongue:

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 09:57 PM

Sure, but you can ask that they not engage in any reckless activities. Sliding around on a rain soaked pice of plastic probably fits that description.

Look, it's this simple... they have to shop and carry groceries. They have to tie their shoes. They have to drive in cars.

They don't have to play on slip and slides. Probably lots of kids dinged a knee or tweaked an elbow or bruised a stermum or shoulder on those things. Now those injuries aren't a problem to a pre-teen whose biggest concern in life is whether they can get mommy to kiss the booboo and make it better. Heck, it won't even cost them any lost time from work (read: grade school). Those same injuries might cost Mark a couple of starts and damage the team's chances of winning the division. Worst case he separates a shoulder when his foot gets caught in a tarp crease and he lands awkwardly or even tears his achilles tendon in that same crease.

Sure, he did it safely this time, so he's a hero and the Sox are just joy smashing old farts who have no idea how to appeal to the fans... then again, they did bring a trophy home last season and appear to be headed back to the playoffs or at least deep into the playoff hunt again this season.

Which do you want and you can only chose one?

1) To see Mark Buehrle the human clown who lives to delight young children and drunks with his insane water sliding stunts?

2) Mark Buehrle the 20 game/Cy Young winning pitcher leading his team into the playoffs for another run at the trophy?

seems pretty obvious to me but then again, I'm an old grumpy fart...:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
And the thing about "Yeah he might get hurt" is a complete cop-out, like people said above you can get hurt doing ANYTHING. I love how teams want professional athletes to be hermits whenever they aren't on the playing field for fear of possibly "hurting themselves".

Of course you can get hurt doing anything but as voodoo pointed out earlier, imagine the backlash against the Sox organization if he got hurt. People would be calling for Kenny's head for not protecting the team's investment.

This is taking place on Sox property and more or less during a game. I'm sure this is a reason why the Sox are making a big deal out of it. It isn't because the Sox think Mark is "fragile" either. The Sox aren't going to assign babysitters to the players when they aren't playing but they can certainly lay down the rules in their own house.

FedEx227
04-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Which do you want and you can only chose one?

1) To see Mark Buehrle the human clown who lives to delight young children and drunks with his insane water sliding stunts?

2) Mark Buehrle the 20 game/Cy Young winning pitcher leading his team into the playoffs for another run at the trophy?

How about both like we had last year?

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 10:01 PM
How about both like we had last year?

All it takes is one injury.

Its like the farmer whose horse died: "That's funny, he never did that before."

:redneck

voodoochile
Of course you can get hurt doing anything but as voodoo pointed out earlier, imagine the backlash against the Sox organization if he got hurt. People would be calling for Kenny's head for not protecting the team's investment.

This is taking place on Sox property and more or less during a game. I'm sure this is a reason why the Sox are making a big deal out of it. It isn't because the Sox think Mark is "fragile" either. The Sox aren't going to assign babysitters to the players when they aren't playing but they can certainly lay down the rules in their own house.

Most of these guys have clauses against riding on motorcycles and I am sure there are plenty of people here who will argue it's perfectly safe and give us the exact same rant.

What's that Bulls guards name? You know the next surefire can't miss prospect from a few years ago? He got his multi-million dollar contract torn up because he got into a motorcycle accident. He's doing whatever it is he does next best in his lfe because he damn sure well isn't getting paid to play basketball anymore...

Corlose 15
I can not believe that people are getting so worked up about this. Really, who cares if Buehrle slides on the stupid tarp or not? If the Sox are paying him 9M a year and they don't want him on there he shouldn't go out there.

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I can not believe that people are getting so worked up about this. Really, who cares if Buehrle slides on the stupid tarp or not? If the Sox are paying him 9M a year and they don't want him on there he shouldn't go out there.

Should we encase him in a bubble as well so we can make sure he doesnt get sick durin the season?

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:03 PM

dingdingdingdingdingding...

We have a winner...

Tell him what he's won...

Well nothing, but he still gets to say he nailed the damn answer on the head...

FedEx227
What's that Bulls guards name? You know the next surefire can't miss prospect from a few years ago? He got his multi-million dollar contract torn up because he got into a motorcycle accident. He's doing whatever it is he does next best in his lfe because he damn sure well isn't getting paid to play basketball anymore...

Jay Williams

No, hes not getting paid to play basketball, hes getting paid to watch/commentate college and high school games and on the side working on his game. He has tryouts lined up for next season with many NBA teams.

SoLongFrank
The article is inconsistent. It goes on to first say that Buehrle & Guillen said Mark would be fined for his actions.

But then it goes on to say Guillen didn't chastise Mark & Mark doesn't believe he will be fined. Furthermore it goes on to say Williams would not confirm the fine.

I don't believe he will be fined. I think they will talk to Mark & try to persuade him to stop because of the fan involvement. This is the first time that's happen with the slip & slide & given the team's history with fan involvement that's something the White Sox must avoid.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Should we encase him in a bubble as well so we can make sure he doesnt get sick durin the season?

Look, you just don't get the point of the argument. You want to make it into something it's not.

Let's just agree to disagree...

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Most of these guys have clauses against riding on motorcycles and I am sure there are plenty of people here who will argue it's perfectly safe and give us the exact same rant.

one of the 18 NBA jayson williams that they have had...

Corlose 15
04-16-2006, 10:05 PM

If you're paying him 9M a year you can encase him in whatever you want.

The idea that the the Sox not wanting him to go out on the tarp is the death of the Sox being fun is pretty ridiculous.

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Look, you just don't get the point of the argument. You want to make it into something it's not.

Let's just agree to disagree...

He said cuz sox are payin him 9 million, if they dont want him tarp diving for saftey then he shouldnt. Since there is this much invested in marks arm, why not go further to protect him

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Jay Williams

No, hes not getting paid to play basketball, hes getting paid to watch/commentate college and high school games and on the side working on his game. He has tryouts lined up for next season with many NBA teams.

And his contract will be for how much?

And his career has been shortened by how much?

And he has lost how much time?

And the Bulls lost how many seasons?

Hope the best for Jay, really I do. I got over it quickly. Of course the Bulls sucked and have sucked for a while and Jay wasn't going to be the missing piece that might or might not have made the difference in them winning it all.

The Sox and Buehrle on the other hand...

Chisox003
04-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Some of ya'll need to lighten up...

I mean I could see where the whole injury concern is coming from, but when does the game stop being fun and become completely a business?

For KW, obviously it has to be a lot faster than it is for us, but damn...

I say let him do it :dunno: ... but then again, I didn't construct a World Series champion last year. Oh well....

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:08 PM
He said cuz sox are payin him 9 million, if they dont want him tarp diving for saftey then he shouldnt. Since there is this much invested in marks arm, why not go further to protect him

Okay, nice and slow...

Because...

There...

Is...

A...

Difference...

Between...

Everyday...

Activities...

And...

Ones...

That...

Are...

Strictly...

for...

Fun...

And...

Potentially...

Dangerous...

Tragg
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Just that he has said he is inclined to play for St. Louis sometime in his career and his contract is up (assuming we extend him) next year. St. Louis loses the majority of their staff to free agency in the next two years and it would be the logical move for them to go after Mark.

If we're going to start taking away those little things that make playing in Chicago fun for Buehrle then we risk those few things we can offer that St. Louis cannot or will not.

I know this is a big jump this early but these things add up over the years. I don't like it when our best pitcher and my favorite Sox player has to say "We'll see if it comes out to be the truth, but if it is, I won't be out there anymore. I can't have any fun no more."

MB is the best pitcher on this team, and the most important player to sign on the team, including those we already signed. He's been nothing but good since the moment he took the mound in 2000.

I trust KW and Ozzie realize that and will lock him up.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM

I mean I could see where the whole injury concern is coming from, but when does the game stop being fun and become completely a business?

I say let him do it :dunno: ... but then again, I didn't construct a World Series champion last year. Oh well....

What are you talking about?

I'm having a blast.

Best argument since the shower head thread, bar none...:D:

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
vdc I understand what you're saying but Mark isn't just anybody. Let's imagine The Unit was doing this at AZ & he insisted the Yankees allowed him to do in NY before he would agree to the trade. Do you think the Yankees say no? Not a chance.

Guys of that caliber can ask for sky, the moon, & the stars because every team wants them.

We all know the recruitment stories of star high school athletes. It goes along that venue.

TornLabrum
04-16-2006, 10:11 PM
I might have missed this somewhere in the discussion, but there is precedent for a pitcher getting hurt sliding on a tarp. It happened before the first scheduled night game at Wrigley Field was rained out. I don't recall who the Cubs pitcher was, but he was out for at least several weeks.

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM

I say let him do it :dunno: ... but then again, I didn't construct a World
Series champion last year. Oh well....

for real? ok look.. i hate it just as much as you guys.. but it is a business; and it's not the same as walking up the stairs when you're home alone. the MLB isn't about being a fun game all the time. It is mostly (for the ppl running it) about absolutely raking it in. I can't begin to ponder how much money is floating around for those ppl. Believe me; for most of them.. that's exactly what baseball is.. a business.. and they're just protecting their business interests...

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
vdc I understand what you're saying but Mark isn't just anybody. Let's imagine The Unit was doing this at AZ & he insisted the Yankees allowed him to do in NY before he would agree to the trade. Do you think the Yankees say no? Not a chance.

Guys of that caliber can ask for sky, the moon, & the stars because every team wants them.

We all know the recruitment stories of star high school athletes. It goes along that venue.

Want to wager on whether Mark has that clause in his contract?

I'll give you whatever odds you want that it doesn't exist. You have to bet at least $1000. :tongue:

Oh and recruitment stories end to a large degree when the main incentive becomes cash. I mean guys like Mark don't get their heads turned around by some stripper or some fancy car. Heck, guys shave their beards to play for the Yankees. That's about as petty as it gets. Tarp sliding is as far past facial hair as motorcycles are past tarp sliding.

Trust me, the Yankees would make a point of saying, "RJ... the deal is for $20M a year and you get to wear pinstripes and make the playoffs every year. You really want to throw that away to play on a slip and slide in front of 40K 5 times this season?"

And the tarp clause would go the way of the dodo...

HotelWhiteSox
04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
He seemed pissed/bummed about it after the game, but I'm happy they did something about it, I cringe everytime I see him do it

TheDarkGundam
I liked it when Mark did the tarp sliding, but I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry.
If the Sox say he can't do it, he can't do it. I would MUCH rather see the Sox ace getting 20 wins or whatever than see him sliding on the tarp (or, God forbid, getting injured doing it) anyday, and I think most people would agree. There is no way this means the "end of fun". Buerhle will still be out there spraying fans with a hose and well, winning ball games (which, as someone said earlier, is pretty damn fun).
The end of a goofy tradition? Yes
The end of fun? No

SoLongFrank
I might have missed this somewhere in the discussion, but there is precedent for a pitcher getting hurt sliding on a tarp. It happened before the first scheduled night game at Wrigley Field was rained out. I don't recall who the Cubs pitcher was, but he was out for at least several weeks.

But that's the Cubs! They haven't had a winner on the team in nearly a century now :D: Those things are expected to happen when it comes to losers.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously, as a White Sox fan if Buehrle had gotten hurt I would have been pissed. I'd prefer he load up a super-soaker & go after Ozzie for fun. Maybe he'll think about that.

But I'd be a lot more pissed if we lose him to STL because he strongly disagrees with this decision.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:19 PM
But that's the Cubs! They haven't had a winner on the team in nearly a century now :D: Those things are expected to happen when it comes to losers.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously, as a White Sox fan if Buehrle had gotten hurt I would have been pissed. I'd prefer he load up a super-soaker & go after Ozzie for fun. Maybe he'll think about that.

But I'd be a lot more pissed if we lose him to STL because he strongly disagrees with this decision.

Trust me, it won't be because of the tarp sliding that Mark does or does not decide to go to the Cardinals. I bet that clause discussion doesn't even come up.

Chisox003
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
What are you talking about?

I'm having a blast.

Best argument since the shower head thread, bar none...:D:
More fun then, oh let's say.....running, diving, and sliding on a rain soaked tarp in front of several thousand people and getting paid millions of dollars to do it?

:tongue:

Fabs
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Don't you just love him, though.
He just brings so much joy to the game, always laughing, smiling, having fun. Give him a break! (Just not a broken arm).
:bandance:

TheOldRoman
04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Actually, his contract wasn't torn up. Reinsdorf had every right to do so, but instead they came to an agreement on a buyout. It was all JR's generosity. If I were him, I would have given Williams nothing, which is what he deserved. I was pissed when the accident happened, because he hurt the team. It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt. One dumb injury doing something wreckless not only hurts the player, but the team that relies on him.

People are making WAY too big of a deal out of this. Buehrle is not Barry Bonds, where he had a monster ego and feels he should be able to do anything he wants. Buehrle will not take this as the organization "disrespecting" him. Buehrle will be fine. his feelings aren't hurt, and he will still have fun.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Ok, but let's at least agree that Selig should be cracking the whip instead of Williams on this one. How is this any different than end zone celebrations? I don't see that it is.

in the NFL you've got guys jumping into the stands following a TD. Pure adrenalin & emotion. I doubt they even look at who's in the stands or who might get hurt at that time.

So doesn't it make sense for Selig to say "there will be no more slip & slide on tarps in the Major Leagues?"

I just don't think this should be something that applies SOLELY to the White Sox.

RadioheadRocks
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
People are making WAY too big of a deal out of this. Buehrle is not Barry Bonds, where he had a monster ego and feels he should be able to do anything he wants. Buehrle will not take this as the organization "disrespecting" him. Buehrle will be fine. his feelings aren't hurt, and he will still have fun.

Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head, OldRoman!

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
More fun then, oh let's say.....running, diving, and sliding on a rain soaked tarp in front of several thousand people and getting paid millions of dollars to do it?

:tongue:

Well, that would certainly be more fun...

until I blew out a shoulder that is...

and still not nearly as fun as opening night must have been for him...

ilsox7
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok, but let's at least agree that Selig should be cracking the whip instead of Williams on this one. How is this any different than end zone celebrations? I don't see that it is.

in the NFL you've got guys jumping into the stands following a TD. Pure adrenalin & emotion. I doubt they even look at who's in the stands or who might get hurt at that time.

So doesn't it make sense for Selig to say "there will be no more slip & slide on tarps in the Major Leagues?"

I just don't think this should be something that applies SOLELY to the White Sox.

Guys have sustained season ending injuries celebrating in the NFL. So, if the celebration is going to put the player at risk for an injury, then you're damn right they should get fined, just as MB was/should be.

Edward
04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Trust me, it won't be because of the tarp sliding that Mark does or does not decide to go to the Cardinals. I bet that clause discussion doesn't even come up.

Eh, who knows? Hes been happy in Chicago doing what he wants to do, now hes getting fined for having his fun. St. Louis just might lure him in. But we'll have this convo a year and a half from now. :smile:

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
The worst thing of all would be for a STL writer to ask La Russa if it be ok there & for La Russa to say "yes".

Don't give them that opportunity. Selig do your job!

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Eh, who knows? Hes been happy in Chicago doing what he wants to do, now hes getting fined for having his fun. St. Louis just might lure him in. But we'll have this convo a year and a half from now. :smile:

Now that would be a tribune headline for the ages:

Cardinals Slip In and Slide Away With Buehrle!!!
All work and no play makes the Sox players dull boys. Not like at Beautiful rain soaked Wrigley Field.
"It just wasn't as much fun in Chicago after they told me I couldn't entertain the crowds during rain delays. Those three straight championships and the Cy Young award just are empty without the chance to slide all over that rain soaked tarp. I died a little inside when they took that right away from me." Said Mark Buehrle.

(See tomorrow's special pullout section on great funny moments from rain delays at Wrigley.)

Viva Medias B's
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Wow. Over 80 posts in this thread already!!! Not even bad loss postgame threads get that many posts that fast, do they? I can understand the fine for Buehrle. By sliding on the tarp, MB is potentially risking injury. I am not saying it would necessarily happen, but how would you feel if Buehrle went on the DL because of an injury incurred while sliding on the tarp? MB going down is the last thing we need with Cleveland, Detroit, and Minnesota in our division.

As for MB supposedly encouraging fans to slide on the tarp, do we want the Cubune and other media outlets not so friendly to us to rehash incidents of spectators running on the field?

Some of you may recall during the Evil Empire's first attempted night game on 8/8/88 when during that rain delay Greg Maddux and three other players went sliding on the tarp. IIRC, Don Zimmer had a fit and discliplined the players. The tarp sliding also led to a number of overserved fans running on the field to partake in their own tarp sliding.

Back to Buehrle, I think we'll re-sign him when the time comes.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
The worst thing of all would be for a STL writer to ask La Russa if it be ok there & for La Russa to say "yes".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You were trying to be funny right? :rolleyes:

Edward
04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
:rolling:
Edit: I was refering to voodoo's post, man this thread is popular

Chisox003
04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, that would certainly be more fun...

until I blew out a shoulder that is...

and still not nearly as fun as opening night must have been for him... Ehhh you're probably right...

But I mean, he's only playing baseball for a living. How much fun can he honestly be having?

Edit: Post 2,000. Party anyone?

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
I think we have the makings for a new thread :D Top 10 reasons Williams should give to Buehrle to stop the slip & slide

1) Imagine Bobby Jenks trying it!
2) You're disturbing Freddy's nap.
3) Crede wants to super-soak Ozzie.
4) The Mascot wants in.
5) Tadahito thinks it's cool.
6) We want the fans to buy food & beer but instead they fixate on you!
7) Security asks why make us work in a cold rain?
8) The Fans want in as well.
9) Ozzie's afraid you'll catch a cold & miss your next start.
10) I'm jealous. I want to do it as well.

Fabs
04-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Ehhh you're probably right...

But I mean, he's only playing baseball for a living. How much fun can he honestly be having?

Edit: Post 2,000. Party anyone?

Yay for your 2,000! And I just became a regular! Party on the Tarp. Next rain delay, I'll wait for Buehrle's invite :o: (Now I'm just kidding, before VoodooChile warns me of the dangers of tarp sliding, I know I know) :bandance:

TheOldRoman
04-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I think we have the makings for a new thread :D Top 10 reasons Williams should give to Buehrle to stop the slip & slide

1) Imagine Bobby Jenks trying it!
2) You're disturbing Freddy's nap.
3) Crede wants to super-soak Ozzie.
4) The Mascot wants in.
5) Tadahito thinks it's cool.
6) We want the fans to buy food & beer but instead they fixate on you!
7) Security asks why make us work in a cold rain?
8) The Fans want in as well.
9) Ozzie's afraid you'll catch a cold & miss your next start.
10) I'm jealous. I want to do it as well.
I don't know if that was supposed to be funny, sarcastic, witty, or thought provoking.
You failed on all accounts.

HomeFish
04-16-2006, 10:47 PM
The Cardinals strike me as one of those organizations that are obsessed with "class". As far as teams that would allow such behavior, I'd expect them to be near the bottom of the list.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Some people have no sense of humor for top 10 lists or the fact that Jenks sliding on the tarp would be hilarious.

South Side
04-16-2006, 10:48 PM
The Cardinals strike me as one of those organizations that are obsessed with "class". As far as teams that would allow such behavior, I'd expect them to be near the bottom of the list.

Oh please... you people are out of control tonight. It's not classless to slide on a tarp. It's also not the end of the world if we never get to see him do it again.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Yay for your 2,000! And I just became a regular! Party on the Tarp. Next rain delay, I'll wait for Buehrle's invite :o: (Now I'm just kidding, before VoodooChile warns me of the dangers of tarp sliding, I know I know) :bandance:
Screw that... you want to slide on the tarp, go for it. Heck, I don't care if you go hang-gliding without a glider (that was harsh... just joking...) or bungy jump off the Sears' Tower... or decide to play with the Lions at Lincoln Park Zoo by coating yourself in bacon grease and slipping through the bars then giving the one with the biggest mane a noogy...:wink:

Buehrle on the other hand...

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Well, there ya go... Buehrle is as good as ours provided we let him slip and slide to his heart's content...:bandance:

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Was it classy for STL to allow McGuire to keep a bottle of Andro in his locker? :o:

Cat Thief
04-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Stupid, really stupid. Someone should start a fund to pay his fine, hell, I'd throw in $20 myself. This would show the sox/mlb how stupid this is, and how much the fans love Buehrle being Buehrle. I understand he could get hurt, but I'm sure other MLB players are putting themselves at much more risk. I.E. Neal Cotts drinking at Joe's on Weed last night.

I'm in for $20.

I'm too buzzed to read the whole thread. Was is MLB or the White Sox?

IlliniSox4Life
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't like this. If winning was the most important thing to me, I would be a Yankees fan. Sure, I like winning, and the goal every season is to try and win a championship, but I like to have a little fun along the way. I understand the move on the business side, but there's more to baseball than business.

EDIT: If you want to fine him for signalling to the crowd to join in, fine, but that's not what it sounds like it is all about.

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm in for $20.

I'm too buzzed to read the whole thread. Was is MLB or the White Sox?
And the rebels have found their clause...

Slip and slides or death...

QCIASOXFAN
04-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I think that raising his arms to the crowd got him fined it sounds like, but they could also be worried about one of those freak injuries and be taking their precautions. I remember last year I picked up the Rockies Clint Barmes on my fantasy team and he was having a killer year until he fell do the stairs of his apartment carrying groceries and was out for the season. I think its funny either way.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 11:08 PM

Have you tried it? It's loads of fun! Not as much fun as the chutes at Racing Rapids though. Does Buehrle know about that water park?

RadioheadRocks
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
How bout a Tomato for Buehrle-Mon:

:tomatoaward

voodoochile
04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Have you tried it? It's loads of fun! Not as much fun as the chutes at Racing Rapids though. Does Buehrle know about that water park?

Yes, I've done my fair share of slip and sliding when I was younger. No, I don't have one now. Yes, I enjoy water based theme parks and rides and swming and diving and all sorts of other fun water based activities.

I'm still not willing to go to the wall for Mark Buehrle's right to do it during rain delays at baseball games and I'm definitely not pitching in money to pay the fine of a guy who makes more money this year than I will likely make the rest of my life...

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
While I understand that even something as seemingly innocuous as sliding on the tarp carries some risk, they are, after all, getting paid for playing a game. It's supposed to be fun. I don't think you can eliminate these kind of behaviors without adversely affecting they way they approach the game. Buehrle is also the guy who is out there every game he's not pitching to catch the ceremonial first pitch. He approaches the game with a joy you don't find in every player. I wouldn't change that for the world.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Fair enough. But consider this: is slip-slide any more dangerous than sliding into a base? I doubt that it is. Ground does not give nor do players blocking plates. The tarp does. Not only does it cushion the impact but there's enough water to make Mark light enough to where friction burns are unlikely.

He might get hurt here seems awfully lame. Mark should always be replaced by a pinch runner in NL games then so he never has to slide :rolleyes:

Cat Thief
04-16-2006, 11:30 PM

I'm not a rebel. I guess the fine is from the Sox? These guys provided me with some of the greatest times of my life. They can do no wrong in my eyes.

Duh. I just read the link. Mark has $20 from me.

Corlose 15
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Fair enough. But consider this: is slip-slide any more dangerous than sliding into a base? I doubt that it is. Ground does not give nor do players blocking plates. The tarp does. Not only does it cushion the impact but there's enough water to make Mark light enough to where friction burns are unlikely.

He might get hurt here seems awfully lame. Mark should always be replaced by a pinch runner in NL games then so he never has to slide :rolleyes:

Ok, I think VC has adressed this "point" about 3-4 times already.

This thread is probably one of the most stupid I've been involved with at WSI.:rolleyes:

IlliniSox4Life
04-17-2006, 12:14 AM

This thread is probably one of the most stupid I've been involved with at WSI.:rolleyes:

The point isn't entirely stupid, like you seem to think it is. A lot of people seem to think that sliding on a tarp isn't any more of a dangerous activity than some other things we could do. Sure, MB is getting paid to play baseball, so obviously they are going to let him run the bases and slide. Sure things like cliff diving, bungee jumping, or racing motorcycles are probably too big of a risk to take for an athlete, but what about some things like just straight up going to a waterpark? I don't see how riding a water slide is any less dangerous than tarp sliding, but I am sure nothing has been said about players going swimming (or at least not that I am aware of). What about signing autographs? If you sign a lot of autographs, your hand can start to cramp up, which can't be good for a pitcher. What about smoking and drinking? Smoking is not good for your lungs, yet they seem to let the players do it several times last post season. Drinking can lead to behavior which is definately not safe. It impairs your abilities, and just walking around and stumbling can hurt you. Heck, the shaving cream pies in the face could hurt someone potentially. You could get shaving cream in somebody's eyes, or even break their nose if one is overly agressive and hits it too hard. Also, what about eating? I know they tell Jenks they want him to lose weight, but if he doesn't, are they going to fine him for it, or fine him if he goest to a buffet? Some players also like to go hunting, which can be pretty dangerous in itself. Yet they are still allowed to do it even though they don't need to.

The point is, where do you draw the line? Sure Buehrle's tarp sliding isn't necesarry and he can live without it, but it's also not all that dangerous. There are examples of people getting hurt doing just about anything. Why do you fine one of your best players and one of the best guys on the team for doing something as light hearted as sliding on a tarp? I'd even venture to say it is more safe than a slip in slide because you can bet your ass the Sodfather makes sure there are no rocks on that field.

Jjav829
04-17-2006, 12:30 AM

Not at all. And you stole my point.

Sliding on a wet tarp (the equivalent of a giant Slip N' Slide) is about as dangerous as walking down the dugout stairs.

Personally, I couldn't care less if Buehrle does it or not. I've never seen him do it live. I just get a kick out of people getting all worked up about how he could injure himself sliding on a wet tarp. His job is to do one of the most unnatural things a person can do! Every single pitch Buehrle throws represents about 10 times the risk of injury as sliding on a wet tarp.

doublem23
04-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Not at all. And you stole my point.

Sliding on a wet tarp (the equivalent of a giant Slip N' Slide) is about as dangerous as walking down the dugout stairs.

Personally, I couldn't care less if Buehrle does it or not. I've never seen him do it live. I just get a kick out of people getting all worked up about how he could injure himself sliding on a wet tarp. His job is to do one of the most unnatural things a person can do! Every single pitch Buehrle throws represents about 10 times the risk of injury as sliding on a wet tarp.
Which is exactly why the Sox should be allowed to tell him to stop doing things that are unneccessary, and yes, potentially dangerous. Pitching doesn't grow on trees and the Sox have invested a small fortune into that man mainting a level of athletic prowess. Of course, you can't protect him at all times, but there are certain activities that you just, unfortunate as it may be, have to give up when you are burdened with being a professional athlete making millions of dollars every year. :rolleyes: I'm sure Mark went home and took a nap on a big pile of dollar bills and felt a lot better when he woke up.

Plus, I'm sure that if, god forbid, Mark did hurt himself playing around on the tarp, every single person in this thread calling the Sox fun-killers, etc. would be ready to lynch KW and Ozzie for allowing the ace of the pitching staff to engage in such "endeavors." Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

As for the comparison to sliding, that's just the risk you take when you play baseball. You can't protect guys from getting hurt on the field, but considering Mark's tremendous record of health the last few years, why would you want to jeopardize that (even as miniscule of a chance it is) over 10 seconds of fun? The guy is money for an ERA around 3.00-4.00 and 220-odd innings pitched.

All in all, this is a thread basically about nothing. I swear, sometimes I think guys in the front office or beat writers do this, just so they can see what kind of reaction they can get out of our boards. :rolleyes:

And, in the end, I'm sure he can afford to buy a Slip-N-Slide and go wild on off days.

Viva Medias B's
04-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Some people have no sense of humor for top 10 lists or the fact that Jenks sliding on the tarp would be hilarious.

I wonder what Carlos Castillo sliding on the tarp would have been like.

kevingrt
04-17-2006, 08:51 AM

How this is an 8 page thread is a joke!

voodoochile
04-17-2006, 08:54 AM
How this is an 8 page thread is a joke!

Yeah, but unintentional humor is the best...:D:

PaleHosed
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Let Buerhle be Buerhle. If he want's to slide across the tarp that is his own personal choice. It's his body, it's his contract to lose, let him do what he wants. I know from my own experience if a my place of employment tries to keep me from being me...it is the number one thing that pushes me away from that job.

Buerhle personifies what many fans dream about. He plays a game for a living and he actually does it with the attitude that he is playing a game. This is what we all love about Buerhle - he's the complete opposite of the "leave me alone, I'm doing my job" athletes.

Besides the fact that that tarp is probably the safest slip-n-slide in the world. It is over 90 feet wide in each direction so you're not sliding off it into anything dangerous and it's sitting on top of one of the most well maintained pieces of landscape in the world - i assure you there is no sharp rocks or such under that tarp to hurt a player. Please tell me how this is any worse than slide drills in spring training.

If in some freak way he got hurt doing this... I truly hope that Sox nation would take it in stride. Certainly there are players who do things such as snow skiing or water skiing in their of time that are certainly more dangerous than this. If being a pro baseball player requires that you give up other "dangerous" hobbies - well that just ruins the dream.

I believe that what makes this team so great to watch, outside of the winning part, is that this truly is a team that is having fun playing the game. If it weren't that way, if they were all serious and boring, I don't know if I'd be half as excited about this team.

spiffie
04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I admit that as I was driving home from the game and they mentioned Mark sliding on the tarp I said something to the effect of "that's why I love that guy!" But the more I think about it I reluctantly see the point of folks like VC. If his jump is just a little wobbly, or he lands just wrong on his hand as he slides and jams a finger or something suddenly all the fun gets sucked out of the season. As long as this isn't a trend to try and give the Sox some sort of corporate image (like the Yankees or something) I can't really argue. There's still plenty of chances for Mark to act like a goof and have fun without the risk of unnecessary injury, and as long as those are still allowed (and encouraged) I think everything will be okay in the long run.

CLR01
04-17-2006, 09:51 AM

Umm...Chicago doesn't have a monopoly on wet tarps during a rain delay. He can do that anywhere. It will not be that straw that keeps him here or causes him to leave.

CLR01
04-17-2006, 09:52 AM

Did Selig kick your dog or something? What does he have to do with this?

lumpyspun
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Why didn't Mark just tell everyone he was practicing Iguchi's throw to first base from the other day?
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-04/22977449.jpg
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060415/capt.cxs10904152059.blue_jays_white_sox_baseball_c xs109.jpg?x=380&y=264&sig=d4HaD9hmthwNzTy.ZQi2qg--

gbergman
04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
that looked so fun to

TornLabrum
04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
that looked so fun to

So fun to what? Do?

lumpyspun
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
So fun to what? Do?

I think he was speaking Korean..."so fun to"

Madvora
04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Let Buerhle be Buerhle. If he want's to slide across the tarp that is his own personal choice. It's his body, it's his contract to lose, let him do what he wants.
I know what you mean, but it's also JR's investment.

I can't believe that this is getting so many responses. I don't think AJ is pissed about the haircut and I don't think Buehrle is pissed about this. I'm sure they we're just asked to make their respective changes and politely agreed. That's all there is to it.

daveeym
04-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Do you know how thick that tarp is?
Actually they are extremely thin and light nowadays, they're not the old canvas like tarps of 10 or more years ago. On a windless day about 6 people could unroll a tarp and cover the field nowadays.

bafiarocks03
04-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Psht, THey are fun suckers.
Look how much fun this man has...
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-04/22977517.jpg
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-04/22977518.jpg

Bobbo35
04-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I don't think they will fine him. They will probably have a talk with him.

gehrtsox7
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Mark just bought a motorcycle and he plans on riding cross country with ex-bull Jay Williams. I hope nothing happens.........:cool:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't think they will fine him. They will probably have a talk with him.

On BBTN they commented that Buehrle said he wasn't fined..."just talked to" by KW.

flo-B-flo
04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
No kidding... Didn't someone strain a back muscle while tying their shoes recently? They'll fine players for doing that next. Sham-e sneezed then grabbed his back.

soxfanreggie
04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Dang it...a Kenny Williams talking-to...I'd rather take the fine.

thomas35forever
04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
How will I survive rain delays now??
Seriously though, what's wrong with having a little on-field fun during a rain delay?

gobears1987
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I saw on Sportscenter that he wasn't fined.

FF4L
04-17-2006, 10:37 PM
That musical tribute they aired was pretty good. I think they should just air the celebration stuff during rain delays. Piss-off the visitors too.

jenn2080
04-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Ya it was in the newspaper this AM that he was not fined but if it happened again he will be fined. Good stuff.

Domeshot17
04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I dont think the worry is in him sliding and hitting a rock, because the same risk would be their on the field, i mean common, we dont have GIANT ROCKS ON THE FIELD.

The Risk is in him getting his running start on a wet tarp while its raining and potentially slipping, having the leg bend the wrong way or hyperextend and tearing an acl or some cartiledge or something. Personally, I see both sides of the ball here. I think these things are getting blown out of proportion. AJ said he had already had an appointment to get his hair trimmed down, and Crede also seemed to not care. These guys get paid millions upon millions to play baseball. Baseball finances have gotten so complex over 10 years that these guys are essentially investments made by the ownership.

Its not like they are trying to lock Buehlre in a cage ane every 5 days open the door and say pitch. They just dont want him playing slip n slide. Maybe as a compromise they can throw some deer on the field during rain delays and let him sit up by Hawk and DJ and pick em off.

SBSoxFan
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Maybe as a compromise they can throw some deer on the field during rain delays and let him sit up by Hawk and DJ and pick em off.

:rolling:

Layla
04-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Okay, I tried, really tried to resist.

I have never seen Mark's slip and slide routine in person. But I have loved seeing the pictures because he has so much fun.

However, I can understand the arguement being made by management. One wrong move, and who knows. He may be joining Prior throwing towels and pitching against Wood in simulated games.

Again, however, those sllides from last year were on a commerical. "Be a man. Play like a boy." So, why was it okay one year and not the next?

I'm sure two items are involved here: one, trying to repeat as WS Champs, and two, the waving to the fans. Now, all you need is one nut case, one bandwagon fan, one Cubs fan and damage can be done.

The only thing that truly bothers about this issue, and the hair cut issue, is why is this even in the news? Shouldn't clubhouse stuff stay in the clubhouse?

the gooch
04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
we have 6 starting pitchers. have fun mark. kenny prepared for the slip-n-slide injury.
if he did get hurt, its not like he will be out for long. he broke his foot last year and didnt miss a start.

[/teal]