PDA

View Full Version : Stat question

chaerulez
04-16-2006, 05:12 PM
This relay delay made me wonder... say the Sox come up and hit in the bottom of the 5th and then the Jays come up in the 6th and McCarthy comes in and they go down and it's still 6-4 White Sox. The rain comes back and finally the umpires decide to call the game off. Would McCarthy get the save?

gbergman
04-16-2006, 05:50 PM
yes

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I think you meant rain delay & I'm not sure of the answer. You can simplify your question by asking if BrMac replaces Garcia in the top of the 5th is he in line for a save?

I'll need to scour mlb.com for that one.

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Garcia entered the 5th with a 6-0 lead. Hinske walked, McDonald singled, Adams singled. 6-1 score. Catalanatto walked, Wells walked, McDonald scored.

If BrMac replaces him before the Catalanatto walk & doesn't allow another runner to reach it's not a save.
If BrMac replaces him after the Catalanatto walk & doesn't allow another runner to reach it's still a save because the Catalanatto walk puts the potential tying run on deck.

MarySwiss
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I think you meant rain delay & I'm not sure of the answer. You can simplify your question by asking if BrMac replaces Garcia in the top of the 5th is he in line for a save?

I'll need to scour mlb.com for that one.

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Garcia entered the 5th with a 6-0 lead. Hinske walked, McDonald singled, Adams singled. 6-1 score. Catalanatto walked, Wells walked, McDonald scored.

If BrMac replaces him before the Catalanatto walk & doesn't allow another runner to reach it's not a save.
If BrMac replaces him after the Catalanatto walk & doesn't allow another runner to reach it's still a save because the Catalanatto walk puts the potential tying run on deck.

Yep, except none of that happened, and I believe the poster was talking about a hypothetical situation which would have begun in the bottom of the fifth.

In that event: when McCarthy entered the game top 6, he
would have been the finishing pitcher;
would not have been the winning pitcher; and
would have entered the game when his team was winning by less than three runs.

Hence, he would have earned a save.

chaerulez
04-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Yep, except none of that happened, and I believe the poster was talking about a hypothetical situation which would have begun in the bottom of the fifth.

In that event: when McCarthy entered the game top 6, he
would have been the finishing pitcher;
would not have been the winning pitcher; and
would have entered the game when his team was winning by less than three runs.

Hence, he would have earned a save.

Yes that's exactly what I was asking, thank you for the answer.