PDA

View Full Version : For the people who say bench BA...

chaerulez
04-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Rob Mackowiak, as of this moment, is hitting .130. So both are hitting poorly, so I'll take the guy who gives you better defense, and right now that's Anderson.

Edward
04-16-2006, 02:00 PM
But Ozuna is batting .455!

swanson24
04-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Good point about the talk about putting Mackowiak out in center over Anderson. Anderson is the guy in center for us this year. Let's try to remember that Anderson is still a rookie and some ballplayers struggle when they first get the chance to play in the majors. I read today in the Sun Times that even Ventura struggled in 1990 going 0 for 40. I think Anderson will get better he just needs to put in some more time with Walker and keep getting ABs. Brian is a good ball player and will only get better. Let's be patient with him.

chidonez
04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I agree. The question is how to ease a young, promising player into the show. I defer to the experts... But I would kind of like to see him out there, especially while the offense is clicking elsewhere in the order.

PAPChiSox729
04-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Ichiro Suzuki is hitting .185. Anderson is struggling now. I'm sure he will snap out of it soon, though. I want to see him succeed at the plate as well as in the field. But even before the season began, a few around here were saying that any offensive contributions from Anderson were just extra pluses.

Beer Can Chicken
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
As long as we keep scoring, BA should stay in the lineup. This guy needs AT LEAST 200-300 AB's before we judge him. As long as he isnt hurting us defensively, he has to stay in there. I'm actually very disturbed that people have actually started booing the guy, it's horrible.
Anyone remember Robin Ventura's start in the bigs? Not good.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
It's a good argument. Mak has 22 ab to Anderson's 31. But Anderson has scored 4R to Mak's 0R. Anderson has a SB as well.

Ozuna sucks as an OFer so no that's not an option. It's either Anderson or Sweeney & as Paulie says a guy needs at least 100 AB before you can make a call. Anderson's the best option right now.

Jjav829
04-17-2006, 12:36 AM
For the people who say bench BA...shut up. Seriously, he's played a total of 21 games in his MLB career. Not everyone can come up and be Jeff Francoeur right away. I have no idea if Anderson is going to be good or not. Maybe he's the next Vernon Wells, maybe he's the next Joe Borchard. I have no clue and neither does anyone else. But I do know that it's going to take more than 21 games for me or anyone else to decide. If he is still dead weight at the bottom of the lineup in July, then KW will have to decide whether to go after someone who can help us this year or continue to ride it out with Anderson's struggles. For now, Anderson isn't a huge concern.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-17-2006, 12:41 AM
For the people who say bench BA...shut up. Seriously, he's played a total of 21 games in his MLB career. Not everyone can come up and be Jeff Francoeur right away. I have no idea if Anderson is going to be good or not. Maybe he's the next Vernon Wells, maybe he's the next Joe Borchard. I have no clue and neither does anyone else. But I do know that it's going to take more than 21 games for me or anyone else to decide. If he is still dead weight at the bottom of the lineup in July, then KW will have to decide whether to go after someone who can help us this year or continue to ride it out with Anderson's struggles. For now, Anderson isn't a huge concern.

Shoeless Joe hit .400 as a rookie. Anything less is unacceptable.

Besides, is it just me or should Mackowiak only be allowed to play the corner OF (or infield) positions? He looked brutal out there during "ring day". I've reviewed his fielding stats from prior years and while he is marginal at the corners he is one of the worst in CF.

Anderson is a very good fielder and needs to be given at least a few months for a fair assessment. His minor league accomplishments indicate he should succeed at the ML level. True there are some players who never catch on but you need to be patient and stick with your plan. If he is hitting .142 on Memorial Day then you try to decrease his role until he comes around.

The White Sox are in first and the dark clouds are still out (both outside and here). :rolleyes:

ws05champs
04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I think Ozzie is doing the right thing with him by letting him sit out a few games. Hopefully this can help him clear his head and get on track. BA did do some damage with his bat last season. He can do it again. And to the people booing him - how is this helping the guy? Do you really think he doesn't know he's having trouble at the plate?

Tragg
04-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Put Anderson out there 5-6 days a week at least until the all star break, regardless of what he's hitting.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM

here here couldnt agree more!!!!

spiffie
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I admit I am biased from the get-go. I wanted to see the Sox get a veteran CF once we lost Rowand. I feel like the window of opportunity is too short to allow a gaping hole in the lineup like Anderson is likely to be this year.

That said, if he is going to play, the least he could do is bust his ass out in CF. There have been way too many plays this year already where he has seemingly been jogging at balls that bounce in front of him. The hitting thing, okay fine. You're a rookie so suddenly those pitches down the middle look like balls and the balls 2 feet off the plate look like strikes. Rookies get confused like that. But there is no excuse for not hustling on every play, and thus far I'm not seeing that from him. If you are going to be a detriment at the plate you best be an asset with the glove, and right now he's playing no better than average in the field.

While the first priority if KW makes any moves needs to be some bullpen help, number 2 on that list may very well have to be a CF for the stretch run. Hopefully Anderson can turn it around and be respectable, but if he becomes Corey Patterson out there at some point they have to do something.

maurice
04-17-2006, 03:07 PM
There have been way too many plays this year already where he has seemingly been jogging at balls that bounce in front of him.

:?:
Anderson hasn't turned an out into a hit or allowed a runner to take an exta base, because he was lollygagging. In his 2 "worst" defense plays of the season, Anderson was busting his ass to get to the ball, dove, and just missed making the catch. On one of those, he just got a slow break on the ball but held the runner. On the other, the runners advanced because Mackowiak failed to hustle and backup the play properly.

The OP is correct. Neither player is hitting right now, but Anderson is much better defensively.

southsider13
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I've been a fan of Anderson from the start, and I haven't seen anything too spectactular from Rob.

As someone mentioned, the guy could play some defense and anything extra from the bat is just extra help.

credefan24
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I agree about leaving BA in. I've been a HUGE fan of his from the start, and was excited to see him get the Opening Night start. Lets just be patient with the rook, and give him time to develop. And how does booing help him at all?
Geez, I'm such a homer, I picked up BA in my fantasy league!