PDA

View Full Version : Freddy's Velocity

infohawk
04-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I know there's already been at least one thread on this subject, but I still don't know the reason for his lower velocity. Did his velocity just disappear or has he made a decision to back it down, perhaps to extend his career or something? Does anyone have a definitive answer? Hawk and DJ only address the "what" and not the "why?"

Thome's Homey
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
99% of the time, it's just the result of a dead arm period.

VASoxfan1
04-16-2006, 04:41 PM
but should he be having a dead arm this early in the season? I know he had the wbc but he didn't have that much work compared to some other players. And besides, his last start he was back up at 93ish....could it be the cold weather? All the starts (going back to spring training) when he was struglling it was cold and windy and such.

gobears1987
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
He has dead arm. Buehrle had the same problem in 2003.

NDSox12
04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
His velocity was slightly up after the rain delay. He hit 90-91 a few times. But overall, he clearly does not have the same velocity as in the past. I'm not concerned though. As others have said, I think he is going through a slight dead arm period.

His stuff actually looked ok today until the 5th, which I'll give him a pass on considering the conditions.

drftnaway
04-16-2006, 04:57 PM
He has dead arm. Buehrle had the same problem in 2003.

I hear this phrase all the time. What is a dead arm? And if it's dead, how does it come back?

Chicken Dinner
04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Forget the dead arm, he's got dead no accuracy.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 05:34 PM
For those who saw his game in Detroit he was on fire. Hitting 95-96 routinely. But that was a warm weather day compared to today. I definitely saw him laboring in the cold wind today.

I think he can handle the cold as long as there isn't much wind. But when the wind acts up Garcia loses some zip on the ball.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Chicken:

You try throwing a wet baseball in pouring rain on a cold day past major league hitters.

It's not as easy as you make it sound. Trust me on that.

Lip

SectionBNole
04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
How long was the first rain delay? A long break inbetween pitching doesnt help either.

Corlose 15
04-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Chicken:

You try throwing a wet baseball in pouring rain on a cold day past major league hitters.

It's not as easy as you make it sound. Trust me on that.

Lip

And he still managed to strike out 2 hitters. That inning was pretty crazy.

Bobbo35
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Freddy is a warm weather pitcher. Once it started raining and to top it off with the wind and chiily weather his velocity is going to drop. He will be alright, just need to get him into the warm weather starts.

lostletters
04-17-2006, 03:27 AM
Warm weather pitcher. Plus there was alot of rain and it was pretty damn cold. The balls do not act the same it wet conditions. His control was not there in the lat inning for good reason, it is difficult to get the ball over in those conditions for ANY pitcher. You focus on control in those conditions, not velocity. Even when you focus on control, your control is still crap.

I will not say the runs were his fault in this game. When it is pouring, and the conditions are awful, it is not really anybodies fault.

04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe if he cut his hair and lost the highlights...sorry I had to throw this in, I hate it, did Farmer refer him to his hair stylist?

whitesoxfan1986
04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Whatever dead arm is, Garland has it too.

KRS1
04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Freddy and Jon arent way off from where they were the majority of the time last season. If you are waiting for Garcia to hit the mid 90's with consistency, keep waiting, because he sat around 93 the bulk of last year and has "matured" into a pitcher who relies on heavy movement while sacrificing a couple MPH on his FB. Having a 93 mph 4-seamer that actually moves is well worth the couple ticks off the gun if you ask me. His consitancy(minus the rain show) was really up his last two games in terms of spotting his pitches, and when he mixes in the sinker and 2 seamer things looked very easy for him.

Garland was at 92 the other day, so he only has 2 mph to be back from last year. When he does, I'd bet he starts working the inside tough again, and returns to the form we saw in 05' because of that. His sinker has been hurt a by the smaller gap in velocity thus far, and IMO this is the reason he has been knocked around along with him not attacking the inside with his 2 seamer.

Chez
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Whatever dead arm is, Garland has it too.

And Politte. Has his fastball topped 90 mph this year?

Theanticub
04-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Forget the dead arm, he's got dead no accuracy.
when? Like yesterday when It was pouring? Honestly being a pitcher myself, pitching when it's pouring isn't the easiest thing to do..let alone keep velocity up and not walking everything in sight.