PDA

View Full Version : Just Can't Get Away from those Bandwaggoners!

GoGoSox05
04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
My dad, brother and I went to the Pirates/Cubs game in Pittsburgh on Friday just because Pittsburgh is closer than Chicago to us and we figured why not go root against the Cubs? I learned even there you cannot get away from Sox bandwagon fans. We got to our seats, and to my delight, the gentleman next to me was sporting a white sox world series hat. I asked "Hey! You're a Sox fan?", and showed him my Sox wristband and my dad was also wearing his sox jacket. "Oh, you betcha...Born and raised in Chicago." he said, and I added that my dad was, too. However, just a few pitches later, Todd Walker hits one to the gap and while sliding into third just barely safe, the guy stands up cheering and continues to cheer for the Cubs (to my disgust) the rest of the game.... or should I say, through the sixth inning, when he proceeded to leave, the Cubs leading 8-6.

MadetoOrta
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I would like to know why you didn't "out" him in front of those Pirate fans?

soxjim
04-16-2006, 12:40 PM
At the game yesterday I saw a guy from the city in which I live in a SOX hat and shirt. I know he is a cub fan because he has a truck decorated in cub junk. I called him on it and did not see him the rest of the day. Saw him at the store today and he went down another aisle.

lizard6king6
04-16-2006, 02:04 PM
My dad, brother and I went to the Pirates/Cubs game in Pittsburgh on Friday just because Pittsburgh is closer than Chicago to us and we figured why not go root against the Cubs? I learned even there you cannot get away from Sox bandwagon fans. We got to our seats, and to my delight, the gentleman next to me was sporting a white sox world series hat. I asked "Hey! You're a Sox fan?", and showed him my Sox wristband and my dad was also wearing his sox jacket. "Oh, you betcha...Born and raised in Chicago." he said, and I added that my dad was, too. However, just a few pitches later, Todd Walker hits one to the gap and while sliding into third just barely safe, the guy stands up cheering and continues to cheer for the Cubs (to my disgust) the rest of the game.... or should I say, through the sixth inning, when he proceeded to leave, the Cubs leading 8-6.

What i have seen a lot of is that there are a lot of "Chicago" fans. They cheer for both the Sox and the cubs. Personally, I couldnt do it. When I was younger I did but there should be a time when you pick one or the other. Most people who are Chicago fans are just the casual baseball fans unlike most of the "fanatics" on this board.

ilsox7
04-16-2006, 02:08 PM
What i have seen a lot of is that there are a lot of "Chicago" fans. They cheer for both the Sox and the cubs. Personally, I couldnt do it. When I was younger I did but there should be a time when you pick one or the other. Most people who are Chicago fans are just the casual baseball fans unlike most of the "fanatics" on this board.
Exactly. It's not for me, but I have plenty of friends who are Chicago fans. I do not have a problem with it as long as they do not identify themselves as a diehard fan of either team. During our Championship run last season, I watched several of the games with Chicago fans. It was nice b/c they cheered loud for the Sox, but also realized that while it was not life or death for them, it was for me. So they were just as happy for me as they were for the Sox.

The only Chicago fans I dislike are the ones who claim to be bigger fans of one team and not a fan of the other team based on who is winning. If you're consistent, you're fine by me.

SOXintheBURGH
04-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I just got home from todays Bucs and Cubs game, and when I was getting ready to leave I made sure I wore my Bay jersey and Pirates hat. I have plenty of Sox stuff to wear but I wasn't about to sit around and have to explain myself for wearing Sox stuff to a Cubs vs. Bucs game (plus I was going to root for the Pirates, not only against the Cubs). I didn't have the energy. I also yelled at a kid for throwing back a Todd Walker home run for the rest of the inning.

VA_GoGoSox
04-16-2006, 11:54 PM
My dad, brother and I went to the Pirates/Cubs game in Pittsburgh on Friday just because Pittsburgh is closer than Chicago to us and we figured why not go root against the Cubs? I learned even there you cannot get away from Sox bandwagon fans. We got to our seats, and to my delight, the gentleman next to me was sporting a white sox world series hat. I asked "Hey! You're a Sox fan?", and showed him my Sox wristband and my dad was also wearing his sox jacket. "Oh, you betcha...Born and raised in Chicago." he said, and I added that my dad was, too. However, just a few pitches later, Todd Walker hits one to the gap and while sliding into third just barely safe, the guy stands up cheering and continues to cheer for the Cubs (to my disgust) the rest of the game.... or should I say, through200 the sixth inning, when he proceeded to leave, the Cubs leading 8-6.

You drove almost 200 miles to watch a team you dislike play a team that sucks? :?:

QCIASOXFAN
04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Sounds like the guy was one of those "what have you done for me lately" type of guys. I go to a Bears game at least once a year, last year I went and everybody had a cubs hat on. It was probably like 95 to 5 ratio or worse than that even. Well this year I go to the first Bears vs Panthers game in November and about died seeing all the sox hats. I swear half the stadium had the world series hat. I can almost guarantee more than half those people had Cubs stuff on the year before. It was unbelievable.

Hangar18
04-17-2006, 09:02 AM
I would like to know why you didn't "out" him in front of those Pirate fans?

How did you let that guy off the hook? if he was legitimately (only 1% are legitimately fans of both) a fan of both teams, I dont have a problem with that. I wouldve taken the guy in for questioning ...........

Nellie_Fox
04-18-2006, 12:02 AM
When I was younger I did but there should be a time when you pick one or the other. It is my considered opinion that once your age reaches double digits, the clock is ticking on that decision.

Tragg
04-18-2006, 12:39 AM
It is my considered opinion that once your age reaches double digits, the clock is ticking on that decision.
The Sox have always been the only team in my heart. Howeve, I used to root for the Cubs in the NL UNTIL two things happened: Chimp taking over at WGN and more importantly; www.whitesoxinteractive.com when people like Nellie taught me proper etiquette (as well as cub message boards which i realized were insufferable).

pdimas
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
So yesterday the crowd was just ripping into the Royals left fielder Brown all game (gotta love half price Mondays). It was just brutal. The guy sitting next to me was just in shock and said that he couldnt imagine what the crowd would do to the Cubs left fielder when they came to the park. Then he asked me who the cubs left fielder was. When I responded some kid in front of me turns and says a real Sox fan wouldnt know the answer to that question. :?:

So I asked him if the Royals hit one out would he throw it back. To which he responded, "Hell yeah we don't want their garbage!" Then I informed him that that was a Wrigley Field tradition that had begun there. He seemed perplexed by this for a moment then after giving it full thought he thanked me for enlightening him and said that now that he knew that he would never do it nor encourage another to do it. :gulp:

I swear questioning my loyalty :angry: The nerve i tell ya. My grandfather was probably turning in his grave (that would be the grandfather who was buried in his White Sox jacket:wink: ).

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I still don't understand:

a) Why so many Sox fans are attending Cubs games.

b) Why so many Sox fans who attend Cubs games feel like they have to rush home and post their experience here.

MarySwiss
04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
So yesterday the crowd was just ripping into the Royals left field Brown all game. It was just brutal. The guy sitting next to me was just in shock and said that he couldnt imagine what the crowd would do to the Cubs left fielder when they came to the park. Then he asked me who it was when I responded some kid in front of me turns and says a real sox fan wouldnt know the answer to that question.

Well, that should have told you right there that the loser kid was not a real Sox fan because if he were, he would know that real Sox fans are knowledgable about the game, which includes who the players on the other teams are, especially teams in our division. OTOH, on any given day, a Wrigley Field fan very well might not not know the name of the CUBS left fielder. :cool:

pdimas
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I still don't understand:

a) Why so many Sox fans are attending Cubs games.

b) Why so many Sox fans who attend Cubs games feel like they have to rush home and post their experience here.

I usually attend a few Cubs games a year (usually if someone gets free tix, at least one sox vs. cubs, and the opener) although i'm not a cubs fan. I don't see how that makes me less of a Sox fan though. On the other hand, I can see how I can be perceived as more of a drunkard.

I think with the exception of this year I have made the last three cub home openers. It's just something my friends and I do every year. The game is just an excuse to be down there drinking. For the most part we stay probably 3 innings (not a big deal since we only buy standing room only tix). Its just an excuse to booze all day plus I know a few bar employees / owners down there. The thing is my bday usually falls around that time so my friends make it like an all day thing. Last year we started doing shots at 1030am and I was in bed by 430pm.

For Sox games on the other hand the boozing and tailgating is all secondary. I am there to watch some good ole baseball. So far I have missed one game (last Friday's). I almost never miss the opening pitch and unless I absolutely have to I don't ever leave early.

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I usually attend a few Cubs games a year (usually if someone gets free tix, at least one sox vs. cubs, and the opener) although i'm not a cubs fan. I don't see how that makes me less of a Sox fan though. On the other hand, I can see how I can be perceived as more of a drunkard.

I think with the exception of this year I have made the last three cub home openers. It's just something my friends and I do every year. The game is just an excuse to be down there drinking. For the most part we stay probably 3 innings (not a big deal since we only buy standing room only tix). Its just an excuse to booze all day plus I know a few bar employees / owners down there. The thing is my bday usually falls around that time so my friends make it like an all day thing. Last year we started doing shots at 1030am and I was in bed by 430pm.

For Sox games on the other hand the boozing and tailgating is all secondary. I am there to watch some good ole baseball. So far I have missed one game (last Friday's). I almost never miss the opening pitch and unless I absolutely have to I don't ever leave early.

The question is, why do Sox fans on a Sox board want to hear about anybody's Cub's game experience?? :?:

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
The question is, why do Sox fans on a Sox board want to hear about anybody's Cub's game experience?? :?:

Because many Sox fans want to hear bad things about the Cubs. That's all there is to it. Notice that no one ever writes about having a good, or even an uneventful time at Wrigley. People only like to share their horror stories and that's all many people want to hear.

pdimas
04-18-2006, 04:34 PM

I do agree with you on that point. I don't even really consider it going to a ball game unless they are playing the Sox. It's just another bar to me albeit a smelly one. Anyone else surprised they had beer vendors walking the aisles on half price Monday? They stopped it last year for Monday's and Tuesday's if I recall correctly. Something about too many fights and whatnot.

Nellie_Fox
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
By going for the party atmosphere, you play right into the Cubs management's hands. You help them perpetuate the idea that Cubs games are more fun, and that it's where people go to see and be seen. You help them fill seats.

You also, even on free tickets, put money into the Cubs coffers. You spend money there. You are absolutely helping the Cubs by attending.

You want to see some "good ol' baseball" and the Sox aren't in town? How many minor league teams are there in the area now? Joliet, Schaumburg, Geneva; they need your support and money a lot more than the Cubs do, and you don't help perpetuate the "Cubs town" image by going there.

You aren't going to change, but don't expect me to like it or understand your "reasons."

LuvSox
04-18-2006, 06:35 PM
You want to see some "good ol' baseball" and the Sox aren't in town? How many minor league teams are there in the area now? Joliet, Schaumburg, Geneva; they need your support and money a lot more than the Cubs do, and you don't help perpetuate the "Cubs town" image by going there.

BRAVO!!!! :thumbsup:

pdimas
04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
By going for the party atmosphere, you play right into the Cubs management's hands. You help them perpetuate the idea that Cubs games are more fun, and that it's where people go to see and be seen. You help them fill seats.

You also, even on free tickets, put money into the Cubs coffers. You spend money there. You are absolutely helping the Cubs by attending.

You aren't going to change, but don't expect me to like it or understand your "reasons."

Now you sound like the bitter Sox fan they make us out to be. I don't care one way or the other about the cubs, in other words I am indifferent. You may not like it and thats great to each his own but I have no great anger towards them. If I want to go there and be a drunken mess and enjoy that party atmosphere once in a while thats my prerogative. To me it was never about "playing" into the cubs management's hands or "helping" them out. Its about having a good time with my friends. Christ you people sometimes take these things way to seriously. So please get off of your high horse. Once I decide to join the priesthood or hit my fifties maybe i'll see things a little differently and realize what a sinner and punk I once was.

MarySwiss
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Now you sound like the bitter Sox fan they make us out to be. I don't care one way or the other about the cubs, in other words I am indifferent. You may not like it and thats great to each his own but I have no great anger towards them. If I want to go there and be a drunken mess and enjoy that party atmosphere once in a while thats my prerogative. To me it was never about "playing" into the cubs management's hands or "helping" them out. Its about having a good time with my friends. Christ you people sometimes take these things way to seriously. So please get off of your high horse. Once I decide to join the priesthood or hit my fifties maybe i'll see things a little differently and realize what a sinner and punk I once was.

Excuse me, but please make up your mind. In your first post in this thread, you rail against some "kid" questioning your loyalty at a Sox game and talk about how you set him straight re throwing balls back being a Wrigley tradition. You also mentioned your grandfather, a diehard Sox fan, who would be "turning in his grave" and expressed your indignity at anyone questioning your loyalty.

I am sure nobody here cares if you want to be a "drunken mess." And apparently, a person's age is very important to you. However, seems to me that high horses are open to all ages. But with regard to your gratuitous final sentence, as a person who has "hit my fifties," I find your ageist generalizations extremely offensive. And please let me know how you reconcile that crack with your remarks about your grandfather.

pdimas
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Excuse me, but please make up your mind. In your first post in this thread, you rail against some "kid" questioning your loyalty at a Sox game and talk about how you set him straight re throwing balls back being a Wrigley tradition. You also mentioned your grandfather, a diehard Sox fan, who would be "turning in his grave" and expressed your indignity at anyone questioning your loyalty.

I am sure nobody here cares if you want to be a "drunken mess." And apparently, a person's age is very important to you. However, seems to me that high horses are open to all ages. But with regard to your gratuitous final sentence, as a person who has "hit my fifties," I find your ageist generalizations extremely offensive. And please let me know how you reconcile that crack with your remarks about your grandfather.

I still don't understand how if I go to a game at Wrigley that makes me any less of a Sox fan. Your first paragraph makes no sense to me whatsoever. Make my mind up about what?

As far as the age thing goes I apologize I didnt mean to sound ageist. I was aiming to point out that perhaps I enjoy different things at this age than I will when Im older. I highly doubt that I will continue frequenting dance clubs the older i get for example.

I was just a bit angered because I was vilified for wanting to go to Wrigley to enjoy the party atmosphere once in a blue moon. I mean really who cares. I dont need someone to stand on a soap box and tell me how im a part of the problem and not the solution. Honestly, who cares its not like we are railing against some plague.

Eeesh I feel like I may be spending way to much time on this board. I am starting to become thin skinned and find myself getting angered by faceless people behind monitors and keyboards. Scotty and Henry where are you when I need a smoke and a drink? :)

Edit: The more I look at your response the more I see that you didn't seem to get my point at all. First of all of course no one cares if I want to be a drunken mess that was my point ITS MY PREROGRATIVE. Again as far as the ageist label you gave me my point was not to be ageist at all just to point out that people's tastes change (again the whole dance club thing in my retirement days I dont see happening). It wasnt like I said everyone over 50 should be put down. This isn't Logan's Run. I know I hit a sorespot with the whole age thing as you repeated in your paragraph above and again I apologize.

MarySwiss
04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
I still don't understand how if I go to a game at Wrigley that makes me any less of a Sox fan. Your first paragraph makes no sense to me whatsoever. Make my mind up about what?

As far as the age thing goes I apologize I didnt mean to sound ageist. I was aiming to point out that perhaps I enjoy different things at this age than I will when Im older. I highly doubt that I will continue frequenting dance clubs the older i get for example.

I was just a bit angered because I was vilified for wanting to go to Wrigley to enjoy the party atmosphere once in a blue moon. I mean really who cares. I dont need someone to stand on a soap box and tell me how im a part of the problem and not the solution. Honestly, who cares its not like we are railing against some plague.

Eeesh I feel like I may be spending way to much time on this board. I am starting to become thin skinned and find myself getting angered by faceless people behind monitors and keyboards. Scotty and Henry where are you when I need a smoke and a drink? :)

Fair enough.

Re my first paragraph. You were the one who called the "kid" for questioning your loyalty as a Sox fan and lectured him about throwing the ball back being a Cubs fan tradition. You then went on to talk about your grandfather being a lifelong--even beyond--Sox fan. Sorry, but that sounds like a Sox fan to me. However, you are right; if you really want to waste your money going to Wrigley to drink at overinflated prices, that does not--in and of itself--make you a Cubs fan. My bad.

And I accept your apology re ageism. However--again--don't assume. I--at age 54--no longer frequent dance clubs, but I still dance every chance I get. I also drink, and I spend a fair amount of time at Irish folk bars where I make myself seriously obnoxious, demanding that the band play the songs I WANT TO HEAR! And, I play competitive kickass volleyball.

When I hit my 40th birthday, the best compliment I got was from a friend (fellow softball player) who said, I hope when I get to be your age, I am as active as you are. (She is, btw.) For your sake, I wish the same for you, i.e., I hope when you get older, you refuse to admit you are older. Kind of like Peter Pan.

And please do not get angered by "faceless people behind monitors and keyboards." Just respond, as you did. And as I have. We are all Sox fans. And adults. (Well, for the most part!) :wink:

Edit: Sorry, I was composing my response while you were editing yours. When you read my response, you will see that I--sort of--agree with you. In other words, I don't give a rat's ass if you want to be a drunken mess. Well, except you seem to be a nice guy--if you can only get over the whole age thing!

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Now you sound like the bitter Sox fan they make us out to be. I don't care one way or the other about the cubs, in other words I am indifferent. You may not like it and thats great to each his own but I have no great anger towards them. If I want to go there and be a drunken mess and enjoy that party atmosphere once in a while thats my prerogative. To me it was never about "playing" into the cubs management's hands or "helping" them out. Its about having a good time with my friends. Christ you people sometimes take these things way to seriously. So please get off of your high horse. Once I decide to join the priesthood or hit my fifties maybe i'll see things a little differently and realize what a sinner and punk I once was.You're absolutely correct. It is your prerogative to do so.

Just remember, as far as the dollar goes (and this is professional sports we're talking about) the Cubs are the main competition of the White Sox. You are helping the Cubs out every time you join the little frat boy crowd and head like a lemming to Wrigley Field. Enjoy yourself.

rocky biddle
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I had some really sweet seats for yesterday's game (section 136, row 2). There was so much nonsense going around it would be impossible to share it all. Here are some of my favorites-
"Joe Crede was the World Series MVP last year"
"Jermaine Dye is the Derrick Lee of the American League"
"C'mon AJ, win us this one like you won us the World Series last year."
Also, apparently "Get a hair cut" or "Hey _______, Your hair's looking a little shaggy" is the new official one liner of the unfunny drunk.

And for all those people that have complained about the foul language at the park this year, in about the 6th inning two drunken morons commandeered some seats a few rows behind us. There were kids all around including my 6 year old niece. They thought they were hilarious, and apparently their humor couldn't properly be expressed in non-vulgar language. So after about two innings of these morons, one of them dropped a f-bomb filled tirade aimed at the bat boy. The dugout security guard immediately had them removed from the park. So the next time you're sitting next to some inebriated ass that thinks he's Eddie Murphy circa 1987, tell the nearest security guard and maybe he'll remedy the problem.

I will now dismount my high horse. Thank you.

ws05champs
04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
So after about two innings of these morons, one of them dropped a f-bomb filled tirade aimed at the bat boy. The dugout security guard immediately had them removed from the park. So the next time you're sitting next to some inebriated ass that thinks he's Eddie Murphy circa 1987, tell the nearest security guard and maybe he'll remedy the problem.
Glad to hear that happens.

There are many different types and levels of fans. They are all valid to the individual claiming them. The only ones I consider harmful are the drunken moron aggressive types who become physically or verbally abusive.

With what the Sox did last year, many Cubs fans are suffering deeply. For some of the more enlightened ones, they understand that the the Cubs are the true source of their suffering. They go on to realize that becoming a Sox fan will end their suffering. For them the first step may be in becoming a bandwaggoner.

Rather than look down at them, we should help them along. Do things like letting them know that thowing balls back is wrong and that Bridgeport really is a nice neighborhood. Someday who knows? Maybe this will lead to a future where the Sox will always have a packed house and the Cubs will move to 5,000 seat stadium in Fairbanks Alaska (not that I would wish that on the fine people of Fairbanks).

pdimas
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
You're absolutely correct. It is your prerogative to do so.

Just remember, as far as the dollar goes (and this is professional sports we're talking about) the Cubs are the main competition of the White Sox. You are helping the Cubs out every time you join the little frat boy crowd and head like a lemming to Wrigley Field. Enjoy yourself.

So by your reasoning even if the cubs were playing the Sox at Wrigley I shouldn't even consider going because then I would be helping them out? I think a little perspective is needed here. I mean its not like its some fascist regime its the uhm cubs.

chaerulez
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Edit: The more I look at your response the more I see that you didn't seem to get my point at all. First of all of course no one cares if I want to be a drunken mess that was my point ITS MY PREROGRATIVE. Again as far as the ageist label you gave me my point was not to be ageist at all just to point out that people's tastes change (again the whole dance club thing in my retirement days I dont see happening). It wasnt like I said everyone over 50 should be put down. This isn't Logan's Run. I know I hit a sorespot with the whole age thing as you repeated in your paragraph above and again I apologize.

No one (at least not a reasonable baseball fan) would say you are less of a Sox fan or whatever fan you are for going to any other teams game to watch a baseball game. But you admit you go to the Cubs' game just for the atmosphere. That is playing right into the hands of what the Cubs want. They want people to come in and not really care about the product on the field, but instead use it as an excuse to get wasted. If you said to go to a Cubs game just to enjoy some baseball, I don't people would questioning anything. But the fact you said you go to a Cubs game for the atmosphere, isn't that what most of these Cubs "fans" do and the reason we mock them?

pdimas
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
That is playing right into the hands of what the Cubs want.
Again a little perspective please. They are the cubs not some fascist regime that must be brought down for the good of the free world.

If you said to go to a Cubs game just to enjoy some baseball, I don't people would questioning anything.
Yes they would they would say things like:You want to see some "good ol' baseball" and the Sox aren't in town? How many minor league teams are there in the area now? Joliet, Schaumburg, Geneva; they need your support and money a lot more than the Cubs do

isn't that what most of these Cubs "fans" do and the reason we mock them?
That's because they say they are cubs "fans" when in reality they are more fans of the party atmosphere. I make no such assertion. I'm not gonna lie or pretend i'm something i'm not.

Pureone
04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
My dad and I were talking about how great Greg Maddux's starts have been, when I was labled a bandwagon fan and was told to go back to Wrigley.

I then started to explain that the idiots probably didn't even know when the Sox have last been in the playoffs (besides last year). (I would hope I know, I had attended 2 games in 2000.)

Of course the two look at me stumped and say "2004 Cubbie boy"! :rolleyes:

Realist
04-20-2006, 09:58 PM
That is playing right into the hands of what the Cubs want.
Again a little perspective please. They are the cubs not some fascist regime that must be brought down for the good of the free world.

If you said to go to a Cubs game just to enjoy some baseball, I don't people would questioning anything.
Yes they would they would say things like:You want to see some "good ol' baseball" and the Sox aren't in town? How many minor league teams are there in the area now? Joliet, Schaumburg, Geneva; they need your support and money a lot more than the Cubs do

isn't that what most of these Cubs "fans" do and the reason we mock them?
That's because they say they are cubs "fans" when in reality they are more fans of the party atmosphere. I make no such assertion. I'm not gonna lie or pretend i'm something i'm not.
I always knew you were a Cubs fan, Paco! :neener:

pdimas
04-20-2006, 10:00 PM
i've been outed :o:

Realist
04-20-2006, 10:02 PM
... a really REALLY great friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was AWESOME!"

:redneck