PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Clembasbal
04-16-2006, 09:25 AM
I am headed down to Hilton Head, SC and on my way down there I want to stop at a minor league stadium and watch a game. I checked out the schedules and there are a number of teams I can go see. I was looking for suggestions from you all.

I am looking for more of a good experince and good stadium, more than a good team/good game.

The teams I can see are:

Bristol Sox
Wiston-Salem Warthogs
Charlotte Knights
Durham Bulls
Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Charleston Drive
Kannapolis Intimidators
Augusta GreenJackets
Asheville Tourists
Savannah Sand Gnats
Louisville Bats
Charleston Riverdogs

Thanks all!

soxjim
04-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I have seen the Louisville Bats stadium. If you have time you might want to check out the Louisville bat factory.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
myrtle beach is a very nice stadium

ilsox7
04-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Asheville wasn't a bad place to be a ballgame and they had a nice fireworks show following if memory serves me correct. There are also a few thigns to do in Ahsheville so you could make a day or half-day out of it.

Randar68
04-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Bristol Sox
Wiston-Salem Warthogs
Charlotte Knights
Durham Bulls
Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Charleston Drive
Kannapolis Intimidators
Augusta GreenJackets
Asheville Tourists
Savannah Sand Gnats
Louisville Bats
Charleston Riverdogs

Well, you'll want to avoid the Rookie leagues. Games are boring, crowd isn't very into it and the games are usually pretty sloppy.

Winston-Salem plays at one of the nicest parks, have one of the best game experience and family atmosphere. They have free WiFi in the stadium too and you get to see a slew of Sox farmhands. It's right on the athletic campus of Wake Forest University and it's called "Ernie Shore Field." One of the most historic minor league parks.

Louisville Bats have a great stadium to watch a game in IIRC.

maurice
04-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Charlotte: The Knights play outside of the city (and state) limits, off of the Interstate. The stadium is fine but unremarkable. They have a nice mascot.

W-S: The area immediately surrounding the stadium is bland (multi-sport complex), but the park itself is nice. As noted, W-S also features the beautiful Wake Forest campus and other products of the Reynolds fortune. Old Salem is worth a couple of hours, IMO.

Kannapolis: One of my favorite minor-league parks. This is small-town, NASCAR country.

Follow the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56964&highlight=homer) for more info on these parks.

- - -

Durham: Nice stadium in an urban area close to Duke University and UNC, among other things.

Charleston, SC: Haven't seen the stadium, but the city is awesome. Nice waterfront park, old homes, and rooftop bars. Better than Savannah, IMO.

Charleston, WV: Haven't been, but we'll try to make it this year when they play Kanny.

Asheville: Haven't seen the stadium but this is a beautiful part of the country. Lots of mountains and waterfalls. Home of Biltmore.

Louisville: Nice new stadium right next to a riverfront park. As noted, they have the Louisville Bat factory across downtown, along with other museums.

Edit: For more info on Louisville, follow this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=767347&postcount=7).

Clembasbal
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I want to thank all of you guys for your help, it has been really beneficial. I am going to plan something out in the next few days and your insight has really made this easier.

Soxheads
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Find a place called "Sticky Fingers" in Hilton Head and eat there if you like BBQ. My dad and I had seen it featured on Food Network a few times and we were not disappointed.

My vacation to Hilton Head is right up there. There are just some beautiful sights down there. Enjoy it.