PDA

View Full Version : Non-Roster Invitees: Position Players

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Here are the non-roster invitees for positions other than pitcher. Anybody think these guys will make the team? (post comments below)

Position Players
Justin Baughman
Joe Borchard
Mark Dalesandro
Lee Evans
Tim Hummel
Humberto Quintero
Julio Ramirez
Mario Valenzuela

Jerry_Manuel
01-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Humberto Quintero

I have no idea who the hell that is, but he's my pick to make the team. I just want to hear Hawk say his name. :smile:

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I have no idea who the hell that is, but he's my pick to make the team. I just want to hear Hawk say his name. :smile:

Quintero is a B-grade catching prospect, supposedly great on defense but not too good on offense. But it would be amusing to hear him try to pronounce that.

Anyway, I think the Sox will take 11 pitchers east with them, so that leaves 13 position players, or five spots on the bench. I won't argue the Crede/Clayton thing any more, so let's just say that one of them will be starting, and one will sit the bench, so that leaves 4. Mark Johnson or Josh Paul will take another spot, that leaves 3, and Tony Graffanino leaves two for Aaron Rowand and Jeff Liefer.

Unless someone gets hurt, the roster fills itself out.

Jerry_Manuel
01-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Quintero is a B-grade catching prospect, supposedly great on defense but not too good on offense. But it would be amusing to hear him try to pronounce that.

I won't argue the Crede/Clayton thing any more, so let's just say that one of them will be starting, and one will sit the bench, so that leaves 4.

Sounds like Olivo, good defense but no bat. I don't have the time to debate this right now, but Crede isn't going to be on the roster opening day.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Who was the last non-roster invitee to make the team? I'm thinking it was Wunsch in 2000, but maybe Ramirez was non-roster, too, in 2001? I can't remember.

:gun
"We all know how I turned out!"

:kelly
"OTOH, I was great--in 2000 anyway!"

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 09:14 PM
I'm fairly sure Ramirez was on the 40-man last season, since they traded Abbott to get him.

Wasn't Baines a non-roster invitee? I thought they gave him a minor-league contract and then invited him to ST last year. I don't quite remember.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm fairly sure Ramirez was on the 40-man last season, since they traded Abbott to get him.

Wasn't Baines a non-roster invitee? I thought they gave him a minor-league contract and then invited him to ST last year. I don't quite remember.

I think you're right. However, Baines was on the team at the conclusion of the 2000 season. In fact, Manuel even had him on the playoff roster.

:MJ
"That's a better deal than I got!"

Harold was a non-roster invitee in name only. Maybe the Sox were protecting a younger player by placing him on the 40-man roster instead of Harold? God, I hope it wasn't Ramirez!

:gun
"Compared to Josh Paul, I wasn't so bad. At least I didn't screw up in the 2000 ALDS."

:versatile
"I've never been a non-roster invitee. I'm a franchise player!"

:ohno
"That's what worries us!"

kermittheefrog
01-22-2002, 10:50 PM
There is no way Humberto Quintero is a B grade prospect. He may have defensive skills but his offense is literally zero. He doesn't do anything with the bat, no average, no power, no patience. He's lucky to be a C grade prospect. Olivo is closer to a grade B prospect (I'd say he's a B-), he has great defensive skills but also a bat. People really exaggerate when they say this guy can't hit. He already has more patience at the plate than Josh Paul ever will and he slugged .472 at AA. Still not sure if he hits enough to be a starting catcher but at least he's got some potential.

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
There is no way Humberto Quintero is a B grade prospect. He may have defensive skills but his offense is literally zero. He doesn't do anything with the bat, no average, no power, no patience. He's lucky to be a C grade prospect. Olivo is closer to a grade B prospect (I'd say he's a B-), he has great defensive skills but also a bat. People really exaggerate when they say this guy can't hit. He already has more patience at the plate than Josh Paul ever will and he slugged .472 at AA. Still not sure if he hits enough to be a starting catcher but at least he's got some potential.

The only reason I listed Quintero as a "b" grade prospect is that I wasn't aware that there was anything lower. Quintero won't make the club.

Olivo will probably be our starting catcher in 2003. I'm not saying that that will be a good thing, but that will probably be the case.

kermittheefrog
01-22-2002, 11:07 PM

The only reason I listed Quintero as a "b" grade prospect is that I wasn't aware that there was anything lower. Quintero won't make the club.

Olivo will probably be our starting catcher in 2003. I'm not saying that that will be a good thing, but that will probably be the case.

John Sickels grades prospect C- through A so that's pretty much the scale I use.

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

John Sickels grades prospect C- through A so that's pretty much the scale I use.
Okay, sounds good.

harwar
01-23-2002, 10:42 AM
This is Julios' breakout year.I picked him last year to make the team.And although that didn't work out so well,things will be different this time.I don't think Chris will do well this year and Borchard isn't ready yet,so its Julios' time to shine.

RichH55
01-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by harwar
This is Julios' breakout year.I picked him last year to make the team.And although that didn't work out so well,things will be different this time.I don't think Chris will do well this year and Borchard isn't ready yet,so its Julios' time to shine.

Oh thats going to make you real popular around here:) We all have soft spots for certain players I guess....I was a big Mckay Christensen fan and I've been relegated to hoping he can do soemthing with the Dodgers

Foulke You
01-23-2002, 03:33 PM

I really don't think that Olivo will ever break out with the club. Trading Bradford for that guy was a move I'll never figure out. I thought his underhand delivery combined with Wunsch's sidewinding lefty delivery really kept teams off balance in 2000. Olivo is typical of the type of player the Sox get when they make trades. All glove, no offensive pop. Basically, a player the A's didn't want or need. He has the same value over on our team, but for some reason we wanted him. I'll take my chances with Mark Johnson for another 2 years over Olivo.

:sandy
I can catch and hit! I've only had a baker's dozen of knee surgerys!

RichH55
01-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I really don't think that Olivo will ever break out with the club. Trading Bradford for that guy was a move I'll never figure out. I thought his underhand delivery combined with Wunsch's sidewinding lefty delivery really kept teams off balance in 2000. Olivo is typical of the type of player the Sox get when they make trades. All glove, no offensive pop. Basically, a player the A's didn't want or need. He has the same value over on our team, but for some reason we wanted him. I'll take my chances with Mark Johnson for another 2 years over Olivo.

:sandy
I can catch and hit! I've only had a baker's dozen of knee surgerys!

Olivo has shown more bat than is expecting and could catcher be any more of a black hole here...we have plenty of pitching...and how many innings did Bradford out in out there 36? Hardly a huge sample size....i think the jury is still out on this deal to say the least

Daver
01-24-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Olivo has shown more bat than is expecting and could catcher be any more of a black hole here...we have plenty of pitching...and how many innings did Bradford out in out there 36? Hardly a huge sample size....i think the jury is still out on this deal to say the least

Miguel lost a lot on his bat when they took the cork out of them.

:slowswing

Damn right,I get first chance at those corked ones.

RichH55
01-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by daver

Miguel lost a lot on his bat when they took the cork out of them.

:slowswing

Damn right,I get first chance at those corked ones. LoL...nicely played Daver